{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Quinn press Conference Tues 20 Dec

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough & Quinn press Conference Tues 20 Dec

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:15 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough & Quinn press Conference Tues 20 Dec

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Clough and Quinn full interviews available on iFollow
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:23 pm

Clough happy with the number of players we've got already, sure that'll go down well on here :lol: Sounds like he is open to bringing in more if some go on loan.

Worth noting he says one or two contract negotiations are taking place, let's hope one is Lapslie!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Clough happy with the number of players we've got already, sure that'll go down well on here :lol: Sounds like he is open to bringing in more if some go on loan.

Worth noting he says one or two contract negotiations are taking place, let's hope one is Lapslie!

he says in the interview that it is Lapslie and "we've been discussing it for a month or so, and we're hoping that we can get that resolved"

He also says "we need a real solid defender". He later adds: "we've conceded too many goals, so defensively, that will be the main area [for freshening the squad up]"
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Clough mentions Mansfield wanted to re-arrange the Grimsby game to tonight, but Grimsby didn't.

Playing a training game against Lincoln tomorrow, 45 minutes for everyone. Including Jimmy Knowles to get 45 minutes. On Knowles, the club are extending his contract to the end of the season, to give him every opportunity to get fit.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Clough happy with the number of players we've got already, sure that'll go down well on here :lol: Sounds like he is open to bringing in more if some go on loan.

he says in the interview that it is Lapslie and "we've been discussing it for a month or so, and we're hoping that we can get that resolved"

He also says "we need a real solid defender"

About time, I've been saying that for months
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:47 pm

Mansfield Town boss Nigel Clough set to freshen up his squad in January
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Tues 20 Dec 2022

Mansfield Town boss Nigel Clough is set to freshen up his squad with up to three changes in the January transfer window with a dominant defender his prime target.

Clough is very happy with the current squad when all fit but said: “I think there will be two or three ins or outs or whatever. It wouldn't do any harm.

“It's always nice for the existing players and supporters to bring one or two new faces in.

“We don't want more numbers in terms of adding to the squad. We've got enough.

“But if there are a couple of lads going out who want regular football it will free up a couple of places to get a couple of players in.

“Getting James Gale and Jason Law out on loan are the most important two, being on the fringes of the first team squad. But if there are one or two others who can't quite get in at the moment then we won't stand in their way.

read more at https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... Elb3YARFUQ
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BenJwells » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:27 pm

Clear as day they've realised Perch is done and O'toole cant really be paired with anyone other than Harbottle because hes so slow

Bowrey just not up to it, Gordon is a massive ? Gale & Law going on loan
BenJwells
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby YellaFella 75 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:44 pm

BenJwells wrote:Clear as day they've realised Perch is done and O'toole cant really be paired with anyone other than Harbottle because hes so slow

Bowrey just not up to it, Gordon is a massive ? Gale & Law going on loan

Bit harsh on Bowery, maybe if he played him as a foreward he might show us what he can do
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:34 am

Like 90 minutes against a team of kids ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:45 am

Well at least nigels acknowledged that we need a big solid defender ,i had my doubts but it looks like he is addressing the problems,lets hope we act early in the window and lets crack on
:coys:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:02 am

I hope he gets the one he has targeted this time.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:32 am

Costastag wrote:Well at least nigels acknowledged that we need a big solid defender ,i had my doubts but it looks like he is addressing the problems,lets hope we act early in the window and lets crack on

He may have acknowledged it a while ago but the difference is the stagsnet massive demanding him to sign a centre back in the four months that the transfer window is shut :roll:
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:51 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:05 am

If we imagine Freeman is coming in, I would assume Page deal possibly not being renewed?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 am

Page has been as useful as the 2 injured defenders we signed last season, whose names I can't even remember.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:51 am

MTFCMusings wrote:If we imagine Freeman is coming in, I would assume Page deal possibly not being renewed?

Freeman is very decent at left back as well and this isn't "he can cover if needed" this is he can play there and look very good. Not sure how often he's played there since his Derby days but he would certainly lessen the blow if Macca gets injured again.

The only flaw I ever really saw in him was he occasionally gets caught out with a far post cross but hopefully experience will have seen him tidy that up.

He's got a cracking early ball behind the defence in him, which hopefully Oatsey will benefit from.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:06 am

Ralphy wrote:
Costastag wrote:Well at least nigels acknowledged that we need a big solid defender ,i had my doubts but it looks like he is addressing the problems,lets hope we act early in the window and lets crack on

He may have acknowledged it a while ago but the difference is the stagsnet massive demanding him to sign a centre back in the four months that the transfer window is shut :roll:

True, however, some said it before the last transfer window opened, some still saying it during the window and on deadline day. You can still sign free agents outside the window. It's how we got Macca and O'Toole. Page too but he's hardly played and was only a month (usually it's until the Jan window or end of the season) indicating we had concerns about fitness.

It's likely that he's looked at who is available at CB on a free decided not to lament our clear and obvious lack of depth to prevent agents of the out of contract players contacting him. He's acknowledging it now brace he wants to be contact by agents of players who want to move clubs.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:52 am

Ralphy wrote:

Dont think anybody demanded anything ,just kept reiterating their concerns which is what people on club forums usually do :o
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:11 pm

I don’t think he said big … this may be Freeman. May be wrong though
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:15 pm

He said there are contract negotiations going on, didn't specify they were existing players (until asked later on if Laps was one). Then he said siad he wanted a defender.

Maybe we are in negotiations already for Freeman and he wants a defender as well. It's what we need, at least 1 CB and a wing back/full back.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:14 pm

victor A block wrote:Page has been as useful as the 2 injured defenders we signed last season, whose names I can't even remember.
That's why he was only given a four week contract. Well worth the risk in the circumstances.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Costastag wrote:
Ralphy wrote:

Dont think anybody demanded anything ,just kept reiterating their concerns which is what people on club forums usually do :o

Yes, but was it really necessary before, during and after every single match, even the ones that we won, for the whole 4 months when there was naff all he could do about it between transfer windows ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:
Ralphy wrote:

Yes, but was it really necessary before, during and after every single match, even the ones that we won, for the whole 4 months when there was naff all he could do about it between transfer windows ?

Of course it was ,when some are saying hes the best weve ever had ,some though very few disagree ,remember he was the one who entered the same transfer window that he came out of hes a manager and therefore accountable by his actions ,or do we just kneel before him :o
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm

The only ones 'who can't quite get in at the moment' are Gordon, Bowery and O'Toole, although there have been injuries and illnesses with them. If we bring a defender in to free Hewitt up for right back and/or Freeman then that pretty much puts Gordon even further away from getting in. He's been an unused sub in most of the last 5 or 6 games. I'd include Hartigan but as he's only recently signed it wouldn't make sense. Just putting two and two together.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum