{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:58 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Nathan Jones to Southampton.

When he was first appointed Luton manager I think we were his first away match.

Luton are a well run club in every aspect. We should look to replicate.

By sticking by a manager for multiple years?

Never happen here ;) :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:00 pm

Sticking by a manager doesn’t always work…Chelsea win lots by changing manager as do other clubs. Don’t stick if it’s stagnant imo. I’m still fairly happy with Clough but if we’ve not improved in the next year I’d be changing my mind.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Nathan Jones to Southampton.

When he was first appointed Luton manager I think we were his first away match.

Luton are a well run club in every aspect. We should look to replicate.

I wonder if he'd be welcomed back for a second time by the fans after leaving them for a second time in a few years for a bigger job?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:25 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:28 pm

The man that made a HGV doing a three point turn look fast!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:50 am

"Following a number of discussions between the board and John Askey in recent weeks, York City Football Club has today decided to part company by ending his contract of employment. Given John’s popularity and his incredible success last season, we understand that many fans may be upset and confused by this decision. However, after taking numerous factors into consideration the board are confident that it is in the best interests of the football club.

Recruitment of a new manager will commence immediately, and we aim to make an appointment by the end of the month. An interim manager will be appointed from within the club’s existing staff, with a further announcement due shortly. We are eternally grateful to John for his efforts to help us gain promotion last season and wish him the very best of luck in his future career."

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/ ... john-askey
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:20 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"Following a number of discussions between the board and John Askey in recent weeks, York City Football Club has today decided to part company by ending his contract of employment. Given John’s popularity and his incredible success last season, we understand that many fans may be upset and confused by this decision. However, after taking numerous factors into consideration the board are confident that it is in the best interests of the football club.

Recruitment of a new manager will commence immediately, and we aim to make an appointment by the end of the month. An interim manager will be appointed from within the club’s existing staff, with a further announcement due shortly. We are eternally grateful to John for his efforts to help us gain promotion last season and wish him the very best of luck in his future career."

Seems the new owner is not very popular with the fan base, alarm bells ringing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"Following a number of discussions between the board and John Askey in recent weeks, York City Football Club has today decided to part company by ending his contract of employment. Given John’s popularity and his incredible success last season, we understand that many fans may be upset and confused by this decision. However, after taking numerous factors into consideration the board are confident that it is in the best interests of the football club.

Seems the new owner is not very popular with the fan base, alarm bells ringing.

Seems also like Mr Askey didn't want to toe the line and jump to the owners tune
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:42 pm

Former York boss John Askey has said he was "hurt" by the way he was sacked.

The Minstermen sacked Askey, 58, on Wednesday after just over a year in charge of the National League club.

He had led the club to promotion from National League North through the play-offs last season.

"To have to stand in front of a printer and wait for a letter to be printed off and then be given it to see that I had been sacked... that hurt me more than anything," he told BBC Radio York.

"I'm disappointed with how it's been done.

"They talked about me coming in to talk to them and said it was about my contract. I said if it was about my contract I would need legal help and they said just to come in and pick the letter up. I think I deserve better than that. I think anybody does."

York, who are 12th in the league, are without a win in all competitions since 15 October, but Askey claimed nobody from the board had suggested they were unhappy with the team's progress.

However, the club released a second statement on Wednesday to say the former Macclesfield boss had told them at the start of this month that he wanted to leave.

The Minstermen were taken over in the summer by the York City Supporters' Trust, who immediately sold a 51% stake in the club to investor Glen Henderson.

Askey revealed that an interview Henderson had given to BBC Radio York two weeks ago prompted him to tell the board he felt "undermined" but denied he had said he did not want to stay.

"The reason I said what I said was after the chairman's interview. I felt undermined and that there was no encouragement," Askey said.

"I said that I couldn't work with an owner or chairman who is doing this all the time. That's what I said, I didn't say I wanted to leave.

"It started in pre-season with the chairman going to the players and asking if they were happy with the style of play. He said when we won promotion that he didn't think we were playing good football. It's not what you want to hear as a manager."

Trust chairman Mike Brown, who now sits on the club's board, said the breakdown in the relationship between Askey and Henderson had left the club with no option but to look for a new manager.

"Their relationship didn't get off to a great start when John was asked what he thought of Glen and said 'not much'," he told BBC Radio York.

"I would say there has been a couple of times when Glen has spoken to players, on one occasion a player approached him. He then referred the player to the manager.

"There were clearly differences of opinion on where the boundaries were for what the involvement was that Glen should have."

He added: "When any business gets into the situation where an employee is unhappy, you are in the position where it is not in anybody's interests to carry on. It was a heart-breaking decision to make and I feel awful about it."
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby CraigStag » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:29 pm

What a shame for Askey. NOT. He was part off the reason Macc were thrown out.
CraigStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:11 pm

CraigStag wrote:What a shame for Askey. NOT. He was part off the reason Macc were thrown out.

How do you work that out?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:52 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:02 pm

John Askey achieved a miracle in 2017-2018 by winning the National League with Macclesfield Town on one of the lowest budgets in the league. It was said to be only £350,000. He had previously finished 6th, 10th and 9th.

Here's what he said in an interview with Mike Baggaley at Port Vale

"People think because I got promoted on a budget of £350,000 at Macclesfield, the lowest budget in the league, that wherever you go you can do it again. Those are just one off things. The fact that we always finished above 10th place was an achievement every year."

The new York City owner is clearly wanting to appoint his own manager and is trying to pull a fast one on John Askey to try and avoid having to pay him compensation.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 pm

"Crawley Town Football Club is delighted to announce that Matthew Etherington has been appointed as the new First-Team Manager. Etherington joins the club from Peterborough, where he was serving as the Posh’s U23 manager. The former West Ham United winger joins on an initial 18-month contract.

Matthew will be joined by Simon Davies, who joins the club as Assistant Manager. The pair have a long history together, having known each other since the age of 11. The pair began their playing careers at the Posh before both signing for Premier League giants Tottenham Hotspur. Davies also joins from Peterborough, where he was serving as Etherington’s assistant in the U23 setup at the Weston Homes Stadium."

Lewis Young has also left Crawley.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Lee Bell has been appointed as the first team manager at Crewe
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:21 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Lee Bell has been appointed as the first team manager at Crewe

Strange goings on at Crewe, fans far from happy with the way the club have gone about appointing managers since Artell left.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:33 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:08 pm

York City have appointed former Huddersfield Town head of football operations David Webb as their new manager. Webb will be assisted by former Leeds United academy coach Michael Morton.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Lee Bell has been appointed as the first team manager at Crewe

Strange goings on at Crewe, fans far from happy with the way the club have gone about appointing managers since Artell left.

Musings your grasp on league 2/league 1 goings on is far greater than mine, generally speaking how well/badly do think Artell did as Crewes manager, considering budget, injuries etc
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:51 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby CraigStag » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:47 pm

Dan wrote:
CraigStag wrote:What a shame for Askey. NOT. He was part off the reason Macc were thrown out.

He took them to court for money.
CraigStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:09 am

CraigStag wrote:
Dan wrote:

He took them to court for money.

So he should if he’s earned it. The fans think he’s a legend so it didn’t bother them.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

He didn't last long.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 am

garlic wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Musings your grasp on league 2/league 1 goings on is far greater than mine, generally speaking how well/badly do think Artell did as Crewes manager, considering budget, injuries etc

I think you’d have to say he did well, progressed in four of five seasons and a disaster on the last one. A bit strange he’s not had opportunities elsewhere since, maybe he has and turned them down. He was assisted by having a very talented young squad. Perry Ng, Harry Pickering and Ryan Wintle all regular Championship players now, Charlie Kirk who hasn’t quite kicked on since.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum