{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pre season fixtures

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Pre season fixtures

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:39 am

Awful.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Pre season fixtures

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:46 am

not too inspiring a schedule but would rather have L1 or Championship sides personally, and a local side like Rotherham will bring a decent following and associated revenue. Never been one for the big name Prem side in a preseason list.

The TBC might liven it up a bit....
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:54 am

Good work with oldham away :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:54 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:not too inspiring a schedule but would rather have L1 or Championship sides personally, and a local side like Rotherham will bring a decent following and associated revenue. Never been one for the big name Prem side in a preseason list.

?

Wasn't that supposed to be Derby County at one time?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:01 pm

I wonder if this season has been affected by the late end and early start of our seasons

Last season we arranged three championship matches (Hull, Coventry and Forest). One of those became an U23 match so this might be the sort of thing that Clough likes as an approach
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:06 pm

adamstag wrote:Good work with oldham away :lol:

Bit of a weird one to me :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:09 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Always beneficial if you live in manchester.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:14 pm

I do wonder how the 2 week extension, for us, last season will affect our fitness. Add to that the season starting a week early. Players have their holidays in one chunk once the season ends, will they have had enough rest days before entering preseason training. Will we have enough pre season training to last a season?

It's a ready made good excuse, as some will say. It's a valid one though. Only Grimsby would be "worse off" than us in this respect.

Look what happened the last time pre season was cut short. When they forced the cup game on us2 years ago. GC said at the time it wasn't ideal and we struggled again. Whether that is down to the manager or not is up for debate. It certainly didn't help.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I do wonder how the 2 week extension, for us, last season will affect our fitness. Add to that the season starting a week early. Players have their holidays in one chunk once the season ends, will they have had enough rest days before entering preseason training. Will we have enough pre season training to last a season?

It's a ready made good excuse, as some will say. It's a valid one though. Only Grimsby would be "worse off" than us in this respect.

Look what happened the last time pre season was cut short. When they forced the cup game on us2 years ago. GC said at the time it wasn't ideal and we struggled again. Whether that is down to the manager or not is up for debate. It certainly didn't help.

Bringing the season forward a week just because of the World Cup is ridiculous for L1 and L2 clubs who are extremely unlikely to lose players to tge competition.

Nigel certainly is unhappy about it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:25 pm

oldweststander wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I do wonder how the 2 week extension, for us, last season will affect our fitness. Add to that the season starting a week early. Players have their holidays in one chunk once the season ends, will they have had enough rest days before entering preseason training. Will we have enough pre season training to last a season?

Bringing the season forward a week just because of the World Cup is ridiculous for L1 and L2 clubs who are extremely unlikely to lose players to tge competition.

Nigel certainly is unhappy about it.

Absolutely. With the play offs and the season brought forward 1 week. We either take 3 weeks off the players holidays (who would be happy about that no matter where you work) or 3 weeks off pre season.

I don't know how footballer holidays work exactly, I've never heard a manager say a player is unavailable due to being on annual leave. Unless this is where the mystery injuries come in?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 pm

Dan wrote:Awful.

looks fine to me. Really enjoyed the trips to Retford and Matlock last season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby zod » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:not too inspiring a schedule but would rather have L1 or Championship sides personally, and a local side like Rotherham will bring a decent following and associated revenue. Never been one for the big name Prem side in a preseason list.

Liverpool at home ;)
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:22 pm

I think some Oldham fans will want Mansfield to pull out of the Oldham friendly as they are boycotting games at Boundary Park. They did arrange a friendly against Bolton but Bolton then pulled out after their supporters groups requested them to.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -backlash/

It's a shame we could not have had a pre-season friendly or two in Scotland or even at a new non-league ground such as York City's new ground. Spennymoor, Darlington or Blyth Spartans in the North East would have been ok as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:56 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think some Oldham fans will want Mansfield to pull out of the Oldham friendly as they are boycotting games at Boundary Park. They did arrange a friendly against Bolton but Bolton then pulled out after their supporters groups requested them to.

It's a shame we could not have had a pre-season friendly or two in Scotland or even at a new non-league ground such as York City's new ground. Spennymoor, Darlington or Blyth Spartans in the North East would have been ok as well.

It's a very poor game to be honest, loads of other options, Coxy's Boston so you can stalk him again being one ;)

I guess they steer clear of games like Lincoln, County, etc but surely they could have found something better for away fans - Sheff Wed, Posh, Derby, etc etc.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:13 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think some Oldham fans will want Mansfield to pull out of the Oldham friendly as they are boycotting games at Boundary Park. They did arrange a friendly against Bolton but Bolton then pulled out after their supporters groups requested them to.

if we're having requests, I'll have somewhere in the West Midlands for the Tues 19th fixture. As close to Edgbaston as possible.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby scotsstag » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Get some pre-season games in Scotland. ;) :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Pre season is a bit bleurgh. Like non alcoholic beer. Looks the same, but it's not the same.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:58 pm

East Fife (a) please,Cowdenbeath would be too easy.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:43 pm

adamstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Always beneficial if you live in manchester.

Drink
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby phil22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:15 am

Very uninspiring. Preseason a strange mix though. Need the players to be ready but again would like a top club visiting to fill the coffers.....but then stags v man City would fill the stadium, but a massive defeat could demoralise them.....tricky one
phil22
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 am

phil22 wrote:Very uninspiring. Preseason a strange mix though. Need the players to be ready but again would like a top club visiting to fill the coffers.....but then stags v man City would fill the stadium, but a massive defeat could demoralise them.....tricky one

The focus will be on fitness and not getting injuries in these friendlies. Nothing too intense needed.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am

I'm happy with any fixtures. It's pre-season, not a competition. It's only worth going to get an early look at one or two new signings and potential signings. Usually the format includes changing most of the team at half time, putting players out of position, trying a few unusual tactics and generally messing about. The average fan learns little, because we aren't told what the manager is trying to achieve.

As long as the opposition keeps to the agreement that no rash tackles will be allowed, they can be anybody reasonably competent. Retford and Matlock are handy. I like Worksop as well.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

if we're having requests, I'll have somewhere in the West Midlands for the Tues 19th fixture. As close to Edgbaston as possible.

That'd do me nicely too Martin :D
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 am

Bradders wrote:I'm happy with any fixtures. It's pre-season, not a competition. It's only worth going to get an early look at one or two new signings and potential signings. Usually the format includes changing most of the team at half time, putting players out of position, trying a few unusual tactics and generally messing about. The average fan learns little, because we aren't told what the manager is trying to achieve.

As long as the opposition keeps to the agreement that no rash tackles will be allowed, they can be anybody reasonably competent. Retford and Matlock are handy. I like Worksop as well.

Sounds like it’ll be a bit like Port Vale away then :lol:
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:18 am

I’ve actually seen a post somewhere that stated we were playing Sheffield United at home on the 19th.

I’m not sure where I saw it and maybe it was just speculation with the Clough connection.

Edit

I’ve just looked on the Blades website and it shows them playing an unnamed opposition away behind closed doors so it could be correct. The fixture is in between games against other league clubs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum