{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Northampton Score Thread sponsored by Rose bound to score

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Northampton Score Thread sponsored by Rose bound to scor

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
chip63 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Burke on for McLaughlin

Oates sat back down.

Has Macca got a knock,

Stephen McLaughlin looked surprised that he was being taken off and the other players had to shout to him that it was him coming off. He was not happy about it as most subbed players never are and I think he made his point by walking back across the pitch instead of coming off at the near side. It was annoying because we were 1-0 down and he was helping Northampton to waste time. He would probably have done a better job of trying to stop the cross for the 2nd goal than Ryan Burke who looks nowhere near good enough to date.

He was clearly injured Darren and was told by the bench to come off across the pitch.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:47 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Sorry Clough, the results aren't there, but the performances aren't there either. They're clearly limited players but the quality of performance is nothing short of pitiful.

I think there's a high chasm sized rift in the squad, and no direction from the owners...

We are perilous.

We're not in the Relegation zone, somehow.

Don't worry it'll not be long.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:24 am

Whilst so much attention has been paid to our crisis in the middle of the defence and disastrous transfer window in that regard, after watching yesterday I'm interested in what Clough intends to do to improve things at the other end as well.

Johnson 19 goals last season, Oates 18 (league below) and neither along with Hawkins yesterday look like they can hit a barn door.

To be fair they are operating on practically zero chances so im struggling to see what our plan of attack is. The most likely player to link midfield to attack is Lapslie who played way too deep. I have no idea where Bowery is supposed to be playing but its not working. No wingers, no crosses from the bye line. Kellan Gordon has made mistakes but at least offers a bit of width. There just seems to be no plan at all, apart from the occasional hoof to Hawkins.

And now we are pinning hopes on the return of Tyrese Sinclair whos played about 20 minutes all season. All a bit of a mess.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 am

Just watched the full game and the chances Oates created down the left could be the better option than Bowery.
The other positive from the game was Bishop kicked well and Clarke could be an excellent long term right back.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:02 am

chip63 wrote:Just watched the full game and the chances Oates created down the left could be the better option than Bowery.
The other positive from the game was Bishop kicked well and Clarke could be an excellent long term right back.

Yes I think Oates is a better option than either Bowery or Johnson. In fact, I'd play Sinclair and Oates ahead of those two on Tues. The real issue is in midfield though, from being superb early season they are now lacking energy, creativity and confidence. If Maris is fit he, of course, walks straight back in, along with Quinn, which should really strengthen this area.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:29 am

Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:Just watched the full game and the chances Oates created down the left could be the better option than Bowery.

Yes I think Oates is a better option than either Bowery or Johnson. In fact, I'd play Sinclair and Oates ahead of those two on Tues. The real issue is in midfield though, from being superb early season they are now lacking energy, creativity and confidence. If Maris is fit he, of course, walks straight back in, along with Quinn, which should really strengthen this area.

Midfield is toss without Maris and Quinn, they both get us moving with the ball and keep things ticking over. We don't retain position without them

Clarke, can carry it forward and put in a tackle but very very quiet most of the time and looks to flick it forward at any opportunity, Laps very similar and Charsley who is incredibly lightweight and not comfortable on the ball unless in acres of space. You won't keep the ball and create chance after chance with them three.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Beaten by a average team and very poor in attack midfield and defence how can a forward line of Oates, Johnson, Bowery, Hawkins be so poor.
A new low at mansfield with so many players missing, we should still take points off Northampton.
We use to think we could beat any team in league 2, at the moment to score against any of them would be super
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but should we have had a penalty or was the free kick the right decision?
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:06 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Not sure if it’s been mentioned but should we have had a penalty or was the free kick the right decision?

I discussed it at some length: https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1120
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:44 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:15 wins in 47 league games I think.

So 32%?

Clough's record at Mansfield is P 47, W 15, D 16, L 16.
Lost one game more than he's won.
Win ratio 31.9%
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:15 pm

I wasn't splitting hairs over 0.1% :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It goes back to identity and philosophy. We don’t have either.

Think about it like this. If you have no idea about what style of football we want to play, how you you bring in players who fit that style or plan training sessions to embed that style?

I was ecstatic when we brought Clough in, but honestly I think he is well past his sell by date. I can’t see a way back from here, we are a complete mess.

The last three managers who had a clear identity were Cox, Murray and Flitcroft.

Evans threw money at it.

Everyone else since Curle has been a disaster.

If I could bring in anyone tomorrow it would be Flynn. If he doesn’t want it then Murray or Curle who might both be gettable.

Lazy comment. Evans liked to have at least 2 players per position and is accused of 'throwing money at it' yet we could do with a squad of his right now couldn't we? Also Flitcroft had a player on £5,000 a week, not the manager you're accusing of throwing money at it.

Also it depends on what you mean by "clear identity". I'd like to know what the 3 managers you mention identities were.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 pm

The One wrote:I blame the fredder for jinxing it. :D

I agree, both times I have been an unbeaten run someone has stuck their nose in too early.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 pm

Paulstag wrote:
The One wrote:I blame the fredder for jinxing it. :D

I agree, both times I have been an unbeaten run someone has stuck their nose in too early.

:lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm

The day Clough says the reason they lost was because of a score thread I will join the Clough out brigade.
Infact I'd stick my nose in early if there wasn't one :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:22 pm

Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:It goes back to identity and philosophy. We don’t have either.

Think about it like this. If you have no idea about what style of football we want to play, how you you bring in players who fit that style or plan training sessions to embed that style?

I was ecstatic when we brought Clough in, but honestly I think he is well past his sell by date. I can’t see a way back from here, we are a complete mess.

The last three managers who had a clear identity were Cox, Murray and Flitcroft.

Evans threw money at it.

If I could bring in anyone tomorrow it would be Flynn. If he doesn’t want it then Murray or Curle who might both be gettable.

Lazy comment. Evans liked to have at least 2 players per position and is accused of 'throwing money at it' yet we could do with a squad of his right now couldn't we? Also Flitcroft had a player on £5,000 a week, not the manager you're accusing of throwing money at it.

Also it depends on what you mean by "clear identity". I'd like to know what the 3 managers you mention identities were.
Evans usual scattergun recruitment spent the cash. He landed us with several duds and walked away. He had no long term strategy, it was always about spend, spend and spend.

He did the same at Rotherham, according to a fan I spoke to at the time.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:

Evans threw money at it.

Evans usual scattergun recruitment spent the cash. He landed us with several duds and walked away. He had no long term strategy, it was always about spend, spend and spend.

And yet he’s still a manager in a league above.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Dan wrote: Also it depends on what you mean by "clear identity". I'd like to know what the 3 managers you mention identities were.

Paul Cox - big physical defenders, a big target man and some fast attackers / wingers to pick up pieces. The big players also helped at set pieces. I think Dempster and Jones scored quite a few under his reign.

Adam Murray - try and dominate possession in safe spaces. Aimed to draw the opposition into a press and then looked to get the wingers / striker into the space vacated by the pressing opponent. Chapman and Clements where key to this plan, which is why they say in our half all the time, acting like quarterbacks.

David Flitcroft - very much a counter attacking manager, but would look to play through the thirds of we were dominating the game. The counter attacking system was at its best when White and Hamilton where the wing backs. No one could cope with their pace.

I know you don’t believe in stats, but the underlying data from the playoff system very much supports my opinion. It’s also why we struggled to break down teams who played 9 players in a low block. Forest has the exact same problem under Lamouchi.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Dan wrote: Also it depends on what you mean by "clear identity". I'd like to know what the 3 managers you mention identities were.

Paul Cox - big physical defenders, a big target man and some fast attackers / wingers to pick up pieces. The big players also helped at set pieces. I think Dempster and Jones scored quite a few under his reign.

Adam Murray - try and dominate possession in safe spaces. Aimed to draw the opposition into a press and then looked to get the wingers / striker into the space vacated by the pressing opponent. Chapman and Clements where key to this plan, which is why they say in our half all the time, acting like quarterbacks.

David Flitcroft - very much a counter attacking manager, but would look to play through the thirds of we were dominating the game. The counter attacking system was at its best when White and Hamilton where the wing backs. No one could cope with their pace.

I know you don’t believe in stats, but the underlying data from the playoff system very much supports my opinion. It’s also why we struggled to break down teams who played 9 players in a low block. Forest has the exact same problem under Lamouchi.

Good post that is, can’t argue with any of that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Fair play Dan. Although I need to go for a lie down now! :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Fair play Dan. Although I need to go for a lie down now! :lol:

:D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:

Evans threw money at it.

Evans was given a budget by the club and he spent it - that’s all there is to it. Why wouldn’t he?

Granted, his recruitment strategy didn’t cater for the long term but his immediate task wasn’t to think long term, it was to get us promoted, and do it sharpish. The Radfords made it clear they wanted promotion and were more than happy to support Evans financially in trying to do so.

He buys a lot of players because he likes bigger squads and competition for places, why would he not have done that again after having such a great record prior to us? some managers like that approach, others like Clough preferred to go for a smaller squad (he said he was happy with the numbers). The year we went up Paul Cox assembled a huge squad, there must have been 30+ players and certain ones never got a look in but it’s rarely spoke of in the same way as when Evans did it because we got promoted. We were well on course for achieving our objectives under Evans before he jumped ship.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Can I add. I’m not critical of Evans record here at all. He definitely threw money at it, but I would have bet thousands that he was taking us up.

My comment was not a criticism of him, more an effort to say I don’t think he has a particular footballing identity
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Can I add. I’m not critical of Evans record here at all. He definitely threw money at it, but I would have bet thousands that he was taking us up.

My comment was not a criticism of him, more an effort to say I don’t think he has a particular footballing identity

That’s fair, I don’t think you could label his football style too much. We were just always very competitive, fought until the end and had a belief running right through the team, management and fans which built up a momentum that was proving difficult to stop…

…He managed to find the only way to stop it :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:16 pm

The thing with this place is because people hate Evans (& love the double failure) they can’t give credit where it’s due. We played some fantastic football under Evans. We had some brilliant away games with him (Cov was incredible) and we were definitely going to get promoted until he jumped ship. For that he will never be forgiven. I can’t abide him as a person and when I did a Posh match not long after he’d left us I could feel the anger building up inside me when he was stood in front of me. I wanted to get hold of him and say why did you do that to us you raspberry. But that’s football. I know people will say the same thing about me with Flitcroft but numerous times on here I’ve complimented those 4-5 months purple patch he had where we played some incredible football. The morecambe game was one of the best I’d seen and I really felt like we were going up. The ground was rocking that day, the players were all smiling so were the fans, it was a brilliant time to be a Stags fan. But then he bottled it again and it all went wrong and I’ll never forgive him for that either. It just winds me up when the same posters on here cream over DF yet a quick look back at posts on here and they were wanting him out back then as well!
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum