{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press conference Fri 13 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough press conference Fri 13 Aug

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Nigel Clough post match & match highlights

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Good to hear that Stags U23s scored from a last minute long throw at Salford.

I've noted three goals from long throws already this season by League 2 clubs and two of them have come from Mitch Pinnock for Northampton. The other came from Remeao Hutton for Barrow. Dan Jones was also launching them in for Port Vale against Northampton which may mean he keeps getting the nod at left back instead of Mal Benning. Final score was Mitch Pinnock 5 Dan Jones 6 in that game with Ashley-Seal's winner for Northampton coming from a Pinnock long throw in the 1st half. He launches it a fair distance.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Clough press conference Fri 13 Aug

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Noticed Stevo never asked NG about the player we where supposedly talking too I presume another centre half .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Noticed Stevo never asked NG about the player we where supposedly talking too I presume another centre half .

It is in the interview with Jake Garner available on iFollow.

Nigel Clough told Jake Garner (interview on iFollow Stags):
Q: “How is the hunt for a new centre back?”
Nigel Clough: “We are working on one at the moment. Not quite straightforward, but we’ve got 2 or 3 weeks to get it done.”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:22 pm

I've transcribed a few bits, for anyone unable to watch the interviews and for the Stagsnet news archive, since there is no write-up anywhere else.

Nigel Clough talked to iFollow Stags, Friday 13 August 2021
“The pitch is in brilliant condition, all the players have commented on it. Apart from the first team games, we won't be playing any other games on it. It’s in our best interest to keep it in pristine condition.”
On the U23 game on Wednesday, Clough said: “Salford equalised (to make it 2-2 in stoppage time) with a mistake by George Shelvey, a poor kick similar to Nathan Bishop the other night. And then we threw a long throw in the box and James Clarke won a penalty. Ty (Tyrese Sinclair) took it with literally the last kick of the game. Quite dramatic.”
“Newport have been building these squads for the last 2 or 3 seasons which is why they are right up there knocking on the door every season. Very unlucky not to go up last season. To get over the disappointment of the play-offs and win their opening match in the 88th minute suggests a strong mentality. And they go to Ipswich in the cup in midweek, change all 11 players and still win 1-0. I think that speaks volumes to the strength of the squad.”
On Newport and Demetriou possibly having the longest throw in the league, Clough said “I wouldn’t disagree with that. He’s more than capable of throwing it into the middle of the goal. When you go that extra few yards, it gives you an added threat. The best way to defend them is don’t give them away.”
“We had 17 efforts last Saturday against Bristol Rovers. We set a benchmark of around 20 for home games. We want to attack, as we did against Preston for the majority of the game.

Nigel Clough told Jake Garner (interview on iFollow Stags):
Q: “How is the hunt for a new centre back?”
Nigel Clough: “We are working on one at the moment. Not quite straightforward, but we’ve got 2 or 3 weeks to get it done.”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bear 73 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:52 am

At the risk of sedgewick jumping on me, Clough has someone in mind that is not available unless certain things happen in the transfer market.
Now here is my theory , Burton have 9 defenders a total of 33 players, now they are a club that runs on 18 man squads and most are on 2 year contracts.
A club there size cannot run on big squads, my guess is . J-F-H has a striker problem with moult and Hemmings out and needs a striker probably a loan.
I would think a cash flow problem is likely, and he could have to sacrifice one of his defenders, Brayford is a top earner and could ease their finances.
So still leaning on John Brayford, and if that fails, Someone who is already available. on the last day of the window.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:59 am

bear 73 wrote:At the risk of sedgewick jumping on me, Clough has someone in mind that is not available unless certain things happen in the transfer market.
Now here is my theory , Burton have 9 defenders a total of 33 players, now they are a club that runs on 18 man squads and most are on 2 year contracts.
A club there size cannot run on big squads, my guess is . J-F-H has a striker problem with moult and Hemmings out and needs a striker probably a loan.
I would think a cash flow problem is likely, and he could have to sacrifice one of his defenders, Brayford is a top earner and could ease their finances.
So still leaning on John Brayford, and if that fails, Someone who is already available. on the last day of the window.

Looking at it please put me right in new players thread
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:00 am

I've noticed that Clough keeps giving the players a little public nudge by calling them out on individual mistakes that they make - speaks volumes of the standards that he will be holding them to, they know where they stand and the fact that he's not worried about upsetting egos. I also like that he's set targets for shots. It all feels right.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:43 pm

bear 73 wrote:At the risk of sedgewick jumping on me, Clough has someone in mind that is not available unless certain things happen in the transfer market.
That would be the right quality of player. I hope it happens.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum