{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby lifestags » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Rainworth Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
lifestags wrote:Take it to the pm's lads.

:lol: that’s made my day youth

Perhaps we can get back to the topic?

Agreed this isn't FB.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 pm

If ex-Stag Louis Moult has joined Burton Albion, will that free up Akins to come to Mansfield ?
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby west country stag » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm

DURHAM STAG wrote:If ex-Stag Louis Moult has joined Burton Albion, will that free up Akins to come to Mansfield ?

He would be a good addition if Nigel can woo him :mtfc:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 pm

west country stag wrote:
DURHAM STAG wrote:If ex-Stag Louis Moult has joined Burton Albion, will that free up Akins to come to Mansfield ?

Got enough old legs in the squad already .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 pm

Old legs or experience - take you're pick.

In Nigel we trust
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 am

yorkshire stag wrote:he can buy me a beer at Retford tell him

Looking doubtful mate, what with the climbing rate and a week of lates, but we'll see eh. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rainworth Stag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:05 am

Billy the fish wrote:
west country stag wrote:

Got enough old legs in the squad already .

So being 32 means you're old then does it? :lol:
Rainworth Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 am

Akins at 37 would be a good signing, a good centre forward, a good right winger good left winger, and a good right back, a good left back, Been a big part of Burton Albions history
and still a fans favourite.,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 am

Clough already on record as saying the older players were generally the best in L2 last season. He won’t care how old someone is.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:08 am

bear 73 wrote:Akins at 37 would be a good signing, a good centre forward, a good right winger good left winger, and a good right back, a good left back, Been a big part of Burton Albions history

We’ve had similar players who have also been fan’s favourites as well. Unfortunately though they are favourites based on past performance and not necessarily how they performed at the time.

Although I wouldn’t rule a player out on age alone, experience says not many players at 37 are main players in promoted clubs, especially when they are new arrivals. I trust Clough but wouldn’t be overwhelmed by Akins’ arrival.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:24 am

Akins is only 32. It is a new season, and another year on but based on last season's performances, James Perch is worth another season and we would have looked a bit daft not signing Steven Quinn when we had the chance. Nigel talked sensibly about managing Quinn through the season. I've just watched Tyrese's equaliser against Newport on You Tube and Steven Quinn seemed to be the most excited player on the pitch. As most people on here recognise, in Nigel we trust.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Wilfred » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Akins at 37 would be a good signing, a good centre forward, a good right winger good left winger, and a good right back, a good left back, Been a big part of Burton Albions history

We’ve had similar players who have also been fan’s favourites as well. Unfortunately though they are favourites based on past performance and not necessarily how they performed at the time.

Although I wouldn’t rule a player out on age alone, experience says not many players at 37 are main players in promoted clubs, especially when they are new arrivals. I trust Clough but wouldn’t be overwhelmed by Akins’ arrival.

Like a good wine, Sandy, some players mature with age. In fact this goalkeeper for Sherwood Hall boys school under 15's team of the 1960's has applied a couple of coats of dubbin to his boots in case Mr Clough calls.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 am

Wilfred wrote:

Like a good wine, Sandy, some players mature with age. In fact this goalkeeper for Sherwood Hall boys school under 15's team of the 1960's has applied a couple of coats of dubbin to his boots in case Mr Clough calls.

And we’ve had a fair few good players at that age as well Wilfred. But we’ve also had a fair few crocks and flops. I admit when I posted I was judging on bear’s statement of Akins’ age of 37. Being a Burton fan, I thought he would know.

There is a huge difference between 32 and 37 in fitness terms and if he is indeed only 32, my concerns have been addressed. :D :D
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MrBromclough » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am

If you need any information from someone who is actually involved with Burton Albion, and not just who follows NC from club to club, just give me a shout!

As for the subject at hand, I'd say the chances of Lucas leaving unless a substantial fee is involved are very slim, which for a 32 year old is obviously risky business.

Also, he's not a striker, I don't know who has been passing this false information on, but he's rarely ever played there other than in emergencies and has covered at right back more than up front. We will be going into next season with 2 proper strikers battling for the lone role which will be for the first time in a long time, Moult's arrival won't affect Lucas whatsoever.

He's an out and out hard working right winger, who for a short time last season covered on the left.

I'm surprised NC hasn't tried to get Kieran Wallace in from us who is still recovering from an ACL injury and out of contract, he's very much a Nigel type player, and he's always had a weird liking for signing players who've had bad knee injuries.
MrBromclough
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am

Sorry if i misled you, Akins is 32, but if he was 37 he would still be a good addition to the team, he offers so much, but Clough has shot himself in the foot.
He gave Akins a long contract to make sure his future was with Burton Albion, believe me he rates him highly, but J-F-H is holding a good hand.
I knew in Jan it was a long shot, but Clough is a good poker player, and knows when raise and when to fold, a long way to go in this game.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:43 am

Liked you after the first paragraph ,good info :lol:
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:45 am

MrBromclough wrote:If you need any information from someone who is actually involved with Burton Albion, and not just who follows NC from club to club, just give me a shout!

As for the subject at hand, I'd say the chances of Lucas leaving unless a substantial fee is involved are very slim, which for a 32 year old is obviously risky business.

Also, he's not a striker, I don't know who has been passing this false information on, but he's rarely ever played there other than in emergencies and has covered at right back more than up front. We will be going into next season with 2 proper strikers battling for the lone role which will be for the first time in a long time, Moult's arrival won't affect Lucas whatsoever.

He's an out and out hard working right winger, who for a short time last season covered on the left.

I'm surprised NC hasn't tried to get Kieran Wallace in from us who is still recovering from an ACL injury and out of contract, he's very much a Nigel type player, and he's always had a weird liking for signing players who've had bad knee injuries.

Liked you after the first paragraph ,useful
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wilfred » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 am

Wilfred wrote:

And we’ve had a fair few good players at that age as well Wilfred. But we’ve also had a fair few crocks and flops. I admit when I posted I was judging on bear’s statement of Akins’ age of 37. Being a Burton fan, I thought he would know.

There is a huge difference between 32 and 37 in fitness terms and if he is indeed only 32, my concerns have been addressed. :D :D

If I do get the call, Sandy, I hope you'll join me in your namesake's bar when I crack open a post match bottle of my favourite tipple. Hope you like Sanatogen Tonic Wine?
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:39 pm

I wonder if whiffy is sniffing the air?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Wilfred wrote:
Wilfred wrote:

If I do get the call, Sandy, I hope you'll join me in your namesake's bar when I crack open a post match bottle of my favourite tipple. Hope you like Sanatogen Tonic Wine?

Thanks for the invitation Wilfred and I’m sure you are well worth the call up.

I don’t drink a deal these days and if I do visit Sandy’s on match days, it’s normally pre match as my mam likes me home early for tea. I don’t think I’ve ever tried Sanatogen but there’s always a first time for everything.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 pm

MrBromclough wrote:If you need any information from someone who is actually involved with Burton Albion, and not just who follows NC from club to club, just give me a shout!

Here is a chance for a second post in your career, information about the Brewers is out their for all to see, and Akins in his last two moves involved a transfer fee,
he was top scorer when he left Stevenage for Burton, and top scorer in both their promotion seasons he has played As a Striker or forward, and for someone covering full back, To be Burton Albions record goal scorer is some feat.
Giving the last 6 players this window are on 2 year contracts, with a club their size some thing Clough would not do, leaves concern at Burton , where we are o-k and putting in a dig about Clough liking players with bad knee injury
leaves me to believe you are just fishing., Stating paying a fee for a 32 year old is risky, then stating, a substantial fee would have to be involved and the chances are slim
says it all, he is a good player
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MrBromclough » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:26 pm

bear 73 wrote:

Here is a chance for a second post in your career, information about the Brewers is out their for all to see, and Akins in his last two moves involved a transfer fee,
he was top scorer when he left Stevenage for Burton, and top scorer in both their promotion seasons he has played As a Striker or forward, and for someone covering full back, To be Burton Albions record goal scorer is some feat.
Giving the last 6 players this window are on 2 year contracts, with a club their size some thing Clough would not do, leaves concern at Burton , where we are o-k and putting in a dig about Clough liking players with bad knee injury
leaves me to believe you are just fishing., Stating paying a fee for a 32 year old is risky, then stating, a substantial fee would have to be involved and the chances are slim
says it all, he is a good player

Yeah of course I'm fishing. I've only see Lucas play around 250 games of his 300+ for the Brewers, with 99% of them being on the right wing...

We've had fans asking us on our forums & facebook pages about Lucas, so I thought I'd put the record straight on him, rather than the silly stuff thats been flying around.

By the way in Lucas' last season at Stevenage before he joined Burton for £20,000 he scored 5 goals, only 11 goals behind their top scorer, and striker Francois Zoko...

On another note, as for ex-players of ours, I'd be taking a look at Reece Hutchinson if you need a left back? We've released him and he's still only very young, he's very much worth a punt.
MrBromclough
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:05 am

Nice name Bromclough , while i would love to chat, Akins was top scorer at Stevenage in 2013, the point of this conversation is Akins is a good player.
And with this being a Mansfield forum, time is very limited talking about other clubs, Akins was mentioned in January, and of coarse their is speculation this summer.
All you have confirmed is he is what many of us know, a good player and scores goals.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:46 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Just what we need...Conceded 37 in 12 games for Southend