{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough update on transfers and naylor situation.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough update on transfers and naylor situation.

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:46 am

bear 73 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We haven't been top 3 league 2 side for 20 years. We were top 4 a few years ago and just outside the play off the year before. But bar that we are mid table also rans who flirted with relegation and got relegated twice and a play off final loss in 20 years.

We are attractive because we pay well. Clough is a bonus but mainly pay.

I’m not talking about league position. I’m talking about our ability to attract players, which is what the conversation was about.

Please Mansfield since 2004 have spent 12 years in league 2 and 5 in non-league, so no Mansfield Town will struggle to attract quality players from the leagues above.
What we can do is invite players who are hungry for a challenge and believe their is a future at the club, Yes we fish in a low budget market and our academy is a vital source of talent
Can the club move forward , only time will tell but their is a buzz of expectation a coming together of owners a Good C-E-O and a manager we know we can trust.

That’s not true Bear I’m afraid, as we have attracted quality players from the league above for the last five years or so.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:49 am

Since we upped our budget and can give players more money.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:32 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Since we upped our budget and can give players more money.

I’ve never argued this point Gazza.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:11 pm

I’d rather that money on Naylor go towards another proven goalscorer, we need another striker that can get a decent return on goals.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:13 pm

oldweststander wrote:It would have been money that attracted Naylor to MTFC in the first place, we've been outbid, no probs with that, move on.

Not the point. It’s the how that’s left the sour taste and it is exacerbated by how he left is.

Ginger Judas and the woman beater. Perfect couple
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm

If Nigel wanted 6-7 new players, then presumably the list would be 14-15 as some targets may turn us down. Johnson came a bit out of the blue, and Nigel is operating in the way people expected when he arrived, i.e quietly until things are confirmed. That he has talked openly about Quinn suggests he's coming but it's a different way of doing things from being linked with every available player in the country. I do think Luke Beckett may be the next signing though !
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tmwilson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Conker wrote:I’d rather that money on Naylor go towards another proven goalscorer, we need another striker that can get a decent return on goals.

Spot on.
Last edited by tmwilson on Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Can't really blame Naylor. He was happy to come to Mansfield, but then his agent got him a better deal with a bigger club, in a higher league before any contract was signed. Much as I despise his odious little agent, I suspect that these things happen all the time in football.

We move on. I don't think it will be a huge loss for us - as long as Nigel brings in a quality defender in his place ... which I am sure he will.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Vice President wrote:Can't really blame Naylor. He was happy to come to Mansfield, but then his agent got him a better deal with a bigger club, in a higher league before any contract was signed. Much as I despise his odious little agent, I suspect that these things happen all the time in football.

We move on. I don't think it will be a huge loss for us - as long as Nigel brings in a quality defender in his place ... which I am sure he will.

I blame him and I’m glad he’s gone elsewhere. We can do better in terms of being a human being.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:37 pm

I think in terms of next year more important Quinn signs
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:A lot to digest there, very informative.

Is Jake Speight Tom Naylor's agent?

Yes he is and I posted that an ex college has started working with him (unfortunately for sam!).... well you should see the comments about speighty having only known him a couple weeks, poor lad.. W⚓️

Tom could surely have said no, I've agreed to sign and that be it. Must have been significantly more money that would do wonders for his young family.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:51 pm

yorkstag wrote:I think in terms of next year more important Quinn signs

Quinn plus another real attacking threat. I think our midfield will win us enough games, plus a good experienced keeper will do this team wonders.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkstag wrote:I think in terms of next year more important Quinn signs

Quinn plus another real attacking threat. I think our midfield will win us enough games, plus a good experienced keeper will do this team wonders.

Yep ... Quinn, plus a good goal keeper, a quality centre-half and a potent striker is what we need now. (I am basing that on Perch being the first choice right-back, rather than Gordon who is a liability at right back).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:59 pm

in the absence of any other outlet writing up the interview, I've written it up for the Stagsnet news archive:

Friday 11 June 2021

Nigel Clough told iFollow Stags on Danny Johnson:

"Danny Johnson has been on our radar quite some time. We knew he was out of contract.
"We've been looking around at goalscorers at this level and I think he's as good as we can get who's out of contract.
"Very very pleased to have secured him.
"When you look at his clips, a wide variety of goals he scores and he is just that, a goalscorer.
"The way that we play, we'll create him some chances and I think that's what's persuaded him to join us.
"We're still in the market for another one (striker) as well but we needed somebody of this type.
"It's a mentality thing as well. Somebody like him goes on the pitch thinking he's going to score a goal. Our strikers work their socks off, Jordan and Reidy, but I don't think they go on the pitch with that intention all the time.
"We needed someone with that streak of selfishness who thinks I'm going to score a goal when I go on the pitch today.
"We scored a fair few goals, we just didn't score enough proportionally of the chances we created.
"In the last five games we had something like 100 shots, and even in the last two, 48.
"I think he scored his 19 goals off something like 62 efforts which is a pretty good ratio."

Mark Stevenson:
"Elsewhere I understand yesterday we were expecting a second signing. However at the eleventh hour, the rug was pulled underneath your feet with regard to the signing of Tom Naylor, can you tell us more?"

Nigel Clough:
"Frustrating to say the least and disappointing.
"Tom (Naylor) actually came in for his medical and it was at the stage where everything was agreed.
"Unbeknown to Tom or anyone else his agent was still negotiating with another club behind everybody’s back, even when the deal had been was agreed.
"It’s about different standards of behaviour.
"When we thought Tom might be available, we knew he was out of contract and his personal circumstances gave us a chance.
"We thought with his agent being an ex-Stags player as well, so hopefully he’ll be keen on coming here.
"We were very surprised. One of the first conversations with (CEO) David (Sharpe) had with him (the agent), one of the first things he said was he didn’t want him coming here, which was surprising from the agent.
"Actually, that was the second thing he said, the first thing he asked how much he was getting out of the deal.
"It was very disappointing. It’s not that it happens, it’s how it happens and the behaviour.
"In sharp contrast, we dealt with Danny Johnson’s two agents. They were disappointed when we told them what happens because it reflects badly on them.
"The vast majority of agents we deal with are good and honourable.
"They have a principle that once you agree a deal there’s no going back.
"It reflects badly on the whole business.
"I feel sorry for Tom because he was happy, medical and all of a sudden behind his back he’s presented with a bigger financial offer at the last minute.
"He phoned and explained and was a little bit embarrassed about it.
"You can understand though, because he’s got a baby on the way and he’s nearly 30 years’ old and has to make these difficult decisions.
"But as far as we were concerned the deal was done.
"We had it in mind for him to vie for a place at centre half.
"He has played there quite a bit before and he did for us at Burton. We thought that would be his best position for the next few seasons.

"Yes (we're still in the hunt for another central defender).
"We have got Rawson, Hewitt and Perch, all who can play centre half.

"He was going to be a big signing for us and one we were excited about but we move on.
"It was a heavy deal for us in terms of he was going to be our highest paid player.
"We move on and we go for somebody else now.

"Stephen Quinn's on holiday this week. So hopefully that should be Monday/Tuesday.

"We've agreed for a young goalkeeper to come in on loan. And we're also very close to agreeing with a first choice on loan as well.
"And a young defender. So we'd hope to get those tied up next week.
"After that, maybe just one (more).

"But we do have two or three, Rollin, Corey O'Keeffe and Marek Stech, all who are looking for fresh clubs with a year left on their contracts.
"Until at least one of those goes, we'll probably stick with what we've got after these signings.
"Rollin is not effectively (transfer listed), but if there's people out there interested in him we'll listen to offers. He wants to play, we can't guarantee him that place.
"We've had calls from another League Two club about Corey, and a couple of bits of interest about Marek, nothing concrete."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We haven't been top 3 league 2 side for 20 years. We were top 4 a few years ago and just outside the play off the year before. But bar that we are mid table also rans who flirted with relegation and got relegated twice and a play off final loss in 20 years.

I’m not talking about league position. I’m talking about our ability to attract players, which is what the conversation was about.

Please Mansfield since 2004 have spent 12 years in league 2 and 5 in non-league, so no Mansfield Town will struggle to attract quality players from the leagues above.
What we can do is invite players who are hungry for a challenge and believe their is a future at the club, Yes we fish in a low budget market and our academy is a vital source of talent
Can the club move forward , only time will tell but their is a buzz of expectation a coming together of owners a Good C-E-O and a manager we know we can trust.

That’s not true Bear I’m afraid, as we have attracted quality players from the league above for the last five years or so.

yep and quite the ignorant outside view that Mansfield Town don't and can't attract quality... we've always done it and have done especially In the last few seasons. Musings is right
Last edited by Sedgwick on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks for the write up Martin, been looking everywhere to read it.
Cloughs got to be the best manager regards interviews we've had, very honest.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Speights behaviour with the Naylor deal is shocking. Sharpe should have told him to raspberry off when he was told by Speight that he didn't want Naylor coming to Mansfield, also Naylor being embarrassed doesn't sit right with me. Surely he could've also told his agent to bore off and have signed anyway if he really wanted to.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 am

Ginger Judas

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

lower league
yep and white the ignorant outside view that Mansfield Town don't and can't attract quality... we've always done it and have done especially In the last few seasons. Musings is right

Please im not looking to argue, if you think Mansfield have signed quality players from other clubs, thats fine, i understand £150,000 is the transfer record paid by the club.
This i believe puts us in a low budget market, and someone signing for Wigan a lower league 1 club shocks me.
But i have faith in the manager and he will not be dictated to by players or agents, and will deliver progress
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:30 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

lower league
yep and white the ignorant outside view that Mansfield Town don't and can't attract quality... we've always done it and have done especially In the last few seasons. Musings is right

Please im not looking to argue, if you think Mansfield have signed quality players from other clubs, thats fine, i understand £150,000 is the transfer record paid by the club.
This i believe puts us in a low budget market, and someone signing for Wigan a lower league 1 club shocks me.
But i have faith in the manager And he will not be dictated to by players or agents, and will deliver progress[/quote]

You do not have to pay fees for players out of contract. Additionally the majority of our recent fees have been undisclosed. If you look at signings over the last 4 or 5 years we have consistently signed players from higher leagues including ones who have had offers from League 1 teams. Transfer fees paid do not put you in the lower budget, it’s the amount of wages you pay that counts and Mansfield have consistently paid high wages and that’s why players have come here.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

lower league

But i have faith in the manager And he will not be dictated to by players or agents, and will deliver progress

You do not have to pay fees for players out of contract. Additionally the majority of our recent fees have been undisclosed. If you look at signings over the last 4 or 5 years we have consistently signed players from higher leagues including ones who have had offers from League 1 teams. Transfer fees paid do not put you in the lower budget, it’s the amount of wages you pay that counts and Mansfield have consistently paid high wages and that’s why players have come here.[/quote]

Which to be fair anybody that's been around here for more than 2 minutes would know..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:41 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Which to be fair anybody that's been around here for more than 2 minutes would know..

Fazackerley

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Which to be fair anybody that's been around here for more than 2 minutes would know..

Fazackerley

Quality signings, we have a difference of opinion on quality, been her 2 minutes. lets hope a few thousand follow me, you think Notts County a rival, im more for wanting Forest to be
I would think the Clubs aim is the Championship, over the next 5-6 years and looking at players of quality, a transfer fee of £10 -000000 or more is paid.in that league,
So i accept my term Quality differs from some on here, Akins will cost money, McMann will cost money, will our budget afford them, well maybe we will have players coming in who is out of contract, to allow for a transfer fee. But has with Naylor can we afford them. im still looking for that £150-000 to be beat, please name that player.
I am willing to learn, i believe Cooke cost that, many a player in league 1 cost over a million, oh but you get that quality free, like i say a difference of opinion what is quality
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:28 am

Bear, you're judging quality purely based on size of transfer fee, which is ridiculous. Wes Hoolahan was one of the best players in the league last season, cost nothing. If we'd have signed Johnson in Jan for 200k, would he have been a better quality player than he is now when we signed him for free?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:31 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Bear, you're judging quality purely based on size of transfer fee, which is ridiculous. Wes Hoolahan was one of the best players in the league last season, cost nothing. If we'd have signed Johnson in Jan for 200k, would he have been a better quality player than he is now when we signed him for free?

To be fair, a good barometer of quality is wage demands. Thats why often teams with biggest player wage budgets (not necessarily transfer budgets) finish higher.
However, players who can demand bigger wages also require bigger transfer fees. It's not totally unrelated.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum