{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Strange hearing that worse teams than us will go up. That’s incorrect. The sum of our parts suggest there are 17 teams better than us so far.
I agree, a player like Stant would have made a huge difference, however we’ve not got a player like that this season so that’s a dead argument. The table doesn’t lie. Currently we are the 18th team in a very average league.
IMHO it won’t take much tinkering in the summer transfer window to turn what is an average side, into a team competing in the top 7. A good keeper, a good defender or two, a decent winger, and a couple of good strikers will do it. With Tyrese and Jimmy improving we should be decent. I’d definitely keep Bowery too.
Who would folk want as a striker though? Someone who would definitely score 15+.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4269
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:30 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Strange hearing that worse teams than us will go up. That’s incorrect. The sum of our parts suggest there are 17 teams better than us so far.
I agree, a player like Stant would have made a huge difference, however we’ve not got a player like that this season so that’s a dead argument. The table doesn’t lie. Currently we are the 18th team in a very average league.
IMHO it won’t take much tinkering in the summer transfer window to turn what is an average side, into a team competing in the top 7. A good keeper, a good defender or two, a decent winger, and a couple of good strikers will do it. With Tyrese and Jimmy improving we should be decent. I’d definitely keep Bowery too.
Who would folk want as a striker though? Someone who would definitely score 15+.


I like the look of McAleny at Oldham??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7456
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.


Rob is right. Worse teams than us will go up this season. Thats what the data tells us. They have more points than us, but it very simplistic to simply say they are better as there are too many variables at play.

We have been constantly let down by having no striker and poor goalkeeping. this is also shown within the performance data.

These are the reasons I disagree with the fans who think we need a complete clear out. We don't, we need a better front 3 and a first team keeper. If we play exactly the same but have more of a gol threat we'll make the playoffs


But surely we should base the analysis on the whole team. Yes we have strong areas but the team has some shockingly poor areas as well. So the teams at the top are better teams overall and we are near the bottom because our team haven’t been clinical enough. It’s like saying I would be a brilliant brain surgeon if only my hand didn’t shake so much.

Better teams earn more points.

In respect of the rebuild, I do agree on that point and don’t think we need a lot to turn us into a good team.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby yorkstag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 pm

An interesting debate this.

Apart from the odd game this season I really don’t think we’ve been out of our depth.

Clearly we need to improve up front but the thing that has really cost us is the price we have paid for individual errors. Against Orient two errors cost us goals and last night two errors cost us a goal. These aren’t the sort of errors where you debate who was marking who they are really attributable errors.

Anyway today looks as if it has gone our way

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 pm

2 v 1.1 on the xG
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:2 v 1.1 on the xG


We are storming up the xG league table. Could make a late push for an automatic promotion spot :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.


Rob is right. Worse teams than us will go up this season. Thats what the data tells us. They have more points than us, but it very simplistic to simply say they are better as there are too many variables at play.

We have been constantly let down by having no striker and poor goalkeeping. this is also shown within the performance data.

These are the reasons I disagree with the fans who think we need a complete clear out. We don't, we need a better front 3 and a first team keeper. If we play exactly the same but have more of a gol threat we'll make the playoffs


But surely we should base the analysis on the whole team. Yes we have strong areas but the team has some shockingly poor areas as well. So the teams at the top are better teams overall and we are near the bottom because our team haven’t been clinical enough. It’s like saying I would be a brilliant brain surgeon if only my hand didn’t shake so much.

Better teams earn more points.

In respect of the rebuild, I do agree on that point and don’t think we need a lot to turn us into a good team.



Talk about tactics, formations, stats etc. But the reason we are where we are, is fundamentally down to.human traits. Confidence and concentration. We've had little of either. Gifted goals away, and been poor infront of goal. The only time we looked good was when confidence was high on the 5 game run, but we still didn't flush out the costly mistakes.

It's a shame the run of form ended the way it did because without those postponements we could have built.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5878
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:20 pm

We aren't far off. We are drawing too many games. Some good additions/replacements to get some good squad depth will see us convert those draws into wins and some losses into draws. Let's not forget that pre season was cut short for the cup game, we are feeling the effects of that. Look at Jamie Reid had 2 games rest and came on and actually looked decent and didn't make a mistake (granted he wasn't on too long). Sweeney made mistakes, had a few games out with the odd cameo and past couple of games has been good again. Bowery needs a rest too.

Like has been said. We haven't had the option to change up front. We bring in options that are better than what we already have either in addition to or replacing then we will be there or thereabouts next season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Spiritater » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:06 am

Amber Andy wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.


Rob is right. Worse teams than us will go up this season. Thats what the data tells us. They have more points than us, but it very simplistic to simply say they are better as there are too many variables at play.


We have been constantly let down by having no striker and poor goalkeeping. this is also shown within the performance data.

These are the reasons I disagree with the fans who think we need a complete clear out. We don't, we need a better front 3 and a first team keeper. If we play exactly the same but have more of a gol threat we'll make the playoffs
So by definition having no
goal scoring striker and a poor golkeeper means we don't have a good enough team (at the moment) to justify us being promoted.
The teams in the automatic promotion places have at least 18 points more than us with games in hand. They have performed as a team better than we have.
We may have a better midfield than most however a team includes a defence and a strike force.
The league and ultimately performance data doesn't get you promoted it's about achieving points per game and always has been.

I think during close season I shall petition the EFL to do away with the points won by winning games by scoring more goals than the other team system, to a system where a panel sits to analyze the game and awards points to the prettiest footballing side... even though they lost the game 6-0 :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 23090
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Big yella » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 am

And this debate is exactly why stats based football is bullshit.

Look at all those agreeing that worse sides than us will go up, all the stats lovers. There may be an argument for that if you finish in or very close to the play offs. The odd worldie save or worldie strike against us that costs a point or two, but we are 19th for Christ's sake.

We have a decent midfield that can create us a number of chances and is solid enough to prevent too many against us. This makes our stats look good, xg for high, xg against low. However a side has four distinct areas, forward, midfield, defence and keeper and we are crap in three of them.

We have two goalkeepers who make horrendous mistakes, you watch every game just waiting for it.
We have a defence that continues to have total brain farts at vital times.
We have a frontline that couldn't hit the proverbial cow's backside with a banjo.

Every team that go's up this season will be better than us. Will all their players be better than all ours, no. Will all their midfields be better than ours, no. But will all of their collective as a team be better than ours, an absolute resounding yes. And any stat saying otherwise is bullshit.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby sw19stag » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:40 am

Spot on.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:02 am

I actually agree on this occasion with the ‘points lovers’.

The main aim of football is to score goals at one end and prevent them at the other end. You do that by creating a system which creates chances at one end and limits them at the other. We already have that system in place, and we are a good side between the boxes, but we are let down at both ends and therefore you can’t consider us to be unlucky in anyway in terms of getting promoted.

However, if can sign better players at both ends of the pitch we will be well on our way, so I agree to that we aren’t as bad as some would have you believe. We’re a midtable side as it stands.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby diablo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Michael Flynn's post match interview

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ield-town/



He is just a total richard head
diablo
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:21 pm

:shock:

User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6985
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Is he on something ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 17577
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm

diablo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Michael Flynn's post match interview

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ield-town/



He is just a total richard head


Weren't you on another thread commenting on how much vitriol there was on this board :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6887
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 pm

Rob wrote:
diablo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Michael Flynn's post match interview

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ield-town/



He is just a total richard head


Weren't you on another thread commenting on how much vitriol there was on this board :lol:


Rinsed.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 17577
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests