{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What the future holds ... perhaps?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What the future holds ... perhaps?

Postby young vanish » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 am

As predictions go this post is probably meaningless, but I'm sure it has a curiosity value.

Playing about with Microsoft Excel's "what-if" and "Solver" functions, I loaded the current season's L2 results to date grid and allowed Excel to find the best-fit of previous scores. Its best shot was pinpointing 61 correct scores and 242 incorrect of the games played to date.

This then allowed me to extrapolate the same score-prediction algorithm onto those games yet to be played. These future fixtures are in the table below. It's all based upon what has happened to date, and if something doesn't change, these predictions show a very bleak end of season for Stags!

⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: What the future holds ... perhaps?

Postby part time pete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Is it still bleak?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Young vanish ,whatever you think you have posted has VANISHED :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Is there too many words on one line. Yes
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Is it that we're raspberry, and that we know we are?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Well when I first starting following us for the first game in 1994 for we were 20th in the 4th division.

25 years later, the best part of 750 games and god knows how many thousands of pounds spent, were erm 21st in the 4th division.

Least we’re consistent I suppose :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:48 pm

adamstag wrote:Well when I first starting following us for the first game in 1994 for we were 20th in the 4th division.

25 years later, the best part of 750 games and god knows how many thousands of pounds spent, were erm 21st in the 4th division.

We've regressed. Gone back over 25 years. Was it really that damaging? :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 pm

It’s a bit hazy but my first game was v Crystal Palace in 1977. I also saw us draw with Tottenham that season.

We’ve definitely gone downhill since then!
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 pm

My first game was a friendly at Field Mill against the Canadian national team. We won 3-0 I think & I thought we were going to be brilliant! :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:41 pm

my first game was a 5-0 defeat at home to Chesterfield. I think that might only be topped if your first game was the 4-0 defeat at Hayes & Yeading which was the worst Stags performance I have ever seen!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stoney » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:22 am

Martin Shaw wrote:my first game was a 5-0 defeat at home to Chesterfield. I think that might only be topped if your first game was the 4-0 defeat at Hayes & Yeading which was the worst Stags performance I have ever seen!

Martin, how did you end up following the Stags? Were you born and bred down south?
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:29 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:It’s a bit hazy but my first game was v Crystal Palace in 1977. I also saw us draw with Tottenham that season.

Coincidentally that was my first game too. My dad refused to take me to the Spurs game because of the weather...
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kenwood » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 am

The first game I remember was Partick Thistle at home in some cup competition late 70,s I would have only been 6

I don’t remember the score but I’m pretty sure it went into extra time as we left early because it was getting late :lol:
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 am

yaxhamstag wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:It’s a bit hazy but my first game was v Crystal Palace in 1977. I also saw us draw with Tottenham that season.

Coincidentally that was my first game too. My dad refused to take me to the Spurs game because of the weather...

I can barely remember it (I know I was there, but I was only 5) but looking at it on YouTube the pitch was an absolute quagmire and you can see the fans with umbrellas up in what was then the standing part of the west stand.

The YouTube is well worth a watch.

Hoddle scored two, the Stags missed a penalty, there was a controversial goal for the Stags (given as over the line but doesn’t look it now) and a comical opener for Tottenham.

Another coincidence - I was at one of those corporate events a few years ago at Tottenham and Steve Perryman (I think) actually referred to that game in his speech and spoke about Hoddle’s last minute equaliser. He couldn’t believe it when I said I was there.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:02 am

Stoney wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:my first game was a 5-0 defeat at home to Chesterfield. I think that might only be topped if your first game was the 4-0 defeat at Hayes & Yeading which was the worst Stags performance I have ever seen!

Martin, how did you end up following the Stags? Were you born and bred down south?

my granddad lived in Mansfield all his life and we spent a lot of time staying with him. My dad was brought up in Mansfield.

I've mentioned above the worst Stags performance I've ever seen. I think the best Stags game I've ever seen, was the Spurs game which is mentioned by others above.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:
yaxhamstag wrote:

I can barely remember it (I know I was there, but I was only 5) but looking at it on YouTube the pitch was an absolute quagmire and you can see the fans with umbrellas up in what was then the standing part of the west stand.

The YouTube is well worth a watch.

Hoddle scored two, the Stags missed a penalty, there was a controversial goal for the Stags (given as over the line but doesn’t look it now) and a comical opener for Tottenham.

Another coincidence - I was at one of those corporate events a few years ago at Tottenham and Steve Perryman (I think) actually referred to that game in his speech and spoke about Hoddle’s last minute equaliser. He couldn’t believe it when I said I was there.

bet he never mentioned his handball in the lead up to hoddle's pen eh! ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:59 am

My first game was the FA Cup 5th round (i think) in about 1973 when we lost 0-1 at home to Carlisle. ( who were then first division)

Now of course that would never happen again would it.....?
Last edited by victor A block on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 am

My first game was the old Division 4 in early 1975 when we beat Exeter City 3-2 at home on Friday evening.

I loved Friday and Monday games in the 1970s and 1980s.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 am

My first was a cup replay against a Northern Premier League side called Wigan Athletic (wonder what happened to them?). December 1974, Stags comfortable 3-1 winners.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:36 am

Not my first game but I was there Stags v W. Ham 1969 That has to be the best game I have seen from a Stags point of view though my view was very limited from a very packed North Stand. I was 15 and the smallest in my class at school
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby StagR » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am

First game, couldn’t say. Went with my Dad in the late 1950’s. Remember seeing Ron Wyllie in goals, Lindy Delephena on the right wing (I think), Ivan Hollett, Wilf Humble, etc. Was definitely there in the Bishop Street Stand with my Grandad to see Waggy score 4 as we beat Southport 6 - 1, in 1963. Ken Wagstaff & Roy Chapman were a deadly combination up front - EIGHTY (80) goals between them in all competitions in the 1962 - 63 season.
Most memorable matches: F A Cup, Round 5 (1969) Mansfield 3 West Ham 0 , League 3, (1965) Mansfield 8 QPR 1, Freight Rover Trophy Final at Wembley (1987) Mansfield 1 Bristol City 1 - Winners after extra time & penalties.
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Can’t remember my first game but I think it was the first game of the 69-70 season.

Best game I can recall was beating Partick in the Anglo Scottish Cup.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm

My first game was the FA Cup match at home to Ipswich in the early 60’s. I know we lost but I don’t remember the score but I do remember they had a famous manager. One Alf Ramsey!!!!
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby NIGEL » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:52 pm

My first game was my 5th birthday, 28th April 1962. We beat Darlington 3-0. Mum and Dad were regulars and for that first match we stood in the North Stand. They carried on going regularly until the early 1990's. Dad was taken to his 1st match as a 5 year old also in 1931, our 1st ever season in the Football League.
NIGEL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:00 pm

adamstag wrote:Well when I first starting following us for the first game in 1994 for we were 20th in the 4th division.

I started in 1983 and we were in the same place then. That's why it's annoying that we sack on a monthly basis and the modern fan base thinks we should be higher by some divine right.

We are a lowly division 4 club, always have been, always will be.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum