{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:24 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:We keep on turning that corner dont we?

Honestly its like listening to a party Political Broadcast

thing is if you keep turning a corner you could end up goin round in circles :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Moan all you want however without her & John we probably wouldn’t have a league football club, they have backed us from day one & most clubs at our level could only dream of the backing we get, however this refusal to except this managerial appointment isn’t working and right off the season when they have invested so heavily again is truly baffling.

Sorry Yorky but are you suggesting we should give up and take our foot off the pedal thus writing this season off and giving in?

I learned a lesson in life at the age of ten when taking part in a swimming championship. With a full half a length to go, I thought I was miles behind and gave up coasting to the end of the race. In reality I only lost by a fingertip despite giving in. That taught me that it isn't over until it's over and Dempster and the boys should just get their heads down and keep trying.

To write the season off at this point is a losers mentality and would be inexcusable. You can't just turn momentum on and off, it has to be built and maintained or you just lose your way. Just get behind them and help to push them along.

I think you have misunderstood Yorky's comment. If I've read it right he is saying that a refusal by the board and owners to accept they have made a poor and wrong managerial appointment of John Dempster is effectively writing off the season as Yorky, like many of us, do not believe it is possible under JDs leadership.

Thanks Chris, that isn't the way I read it but accept it could be read both ways. Maybe Yorky would like to clarify.

It is opinion if the season is being written off by sticking with Dempster or if in fact it would be written off by sacking him. A new man would still have to hit the ground running and I feel promotion with someone new at the helm would be all but impossible. We have a better chance by sticking with the current incumbent so that's what we should do. If he fails, or is well short of a chance come Easter, that would be a better time to make the change. The new man would have time to look at the squad and rebuild over the summer.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:44 am

i just did youth on last post :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 am

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't, innit.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 am

yorkshire stag wrote:i just did youth on last post :lol:

Yes you posted it whilst I was typing.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Moan all you want however without her & John we probably wouldn’t have a league football club, they have backed us from day one & most clubs at our level could only dream of the backing we get, however this refusal to except this managerial appointment isn’t working and right off the season when they have invested so heavily again is truly baffling.

Sorry Yorky but are you suggesting we should give up and take our foot off the pedal thus writing this season off and giving in?

I learned a lesson in life at the age of ten when taking part in a swimming championship. With a full half a length to go, I thought I was miles behind and gave up coasting to the end of the race. In reality I only lost by a fingertip despite giving in. That taught me that it isn't over until it's over and Dempster and the boys should just get their heads down and keep trying.

To write the season off at this point is a losers mentality and would be inexcusable. You can't just turn momentum on and off, it has to be built and maintained or you just lose your way. Just get behind them and help to push them along.

I think you have misunderstood Yorky's comment. If I've read it right he is saying that a refusal by the board and owners to accept they have made a poor and wrong managerial appointment of John Dempster is effectively writing off the season as Yorky, like many of us, do not believe it is possible under JDs leadership.

Thanks Chris, that isn't the way I read it but accept it could be read both ways. Maybe Yorky would like to clarify.

It is opinion if the season is being written off by sticking with Dempster or if in fact it would be written off by sacking him. A new man would still have to hit the ground running and I feel promotion with someone new at the helm would be all but impossible. We have a better chance by sticking with the current incumbent so that's what we should do. If he fails, or is well short of a chance come Easter, that would be a better time to make the change. The new man would have time to look at the squad and rebuild over the summer.

In my opinion, getting in a different, proper, proven manager soon would give us a better chance at promotion than Dempster having the full season would. This is a good squad, a top 3 budget has been spent on it, and Dempster isn’t getting close to the best out of it.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

We have 34 matches left which is a maximum of 102 points.

For automatic promotion we would probably need a minimum of another 68 points. That's an average of 2 points from every game we have left and is too much to expect even a brilliant manager to achieve from a standing start.

For promotion through the play offs we would probably need in the region of another 60 points so very roughly 1.7 points from each game. Again, I feel to ask a new man to come in and achieve that is asking a lot from the games we have left

Although we should not give up on promotion this year, I genuinely think our best shot is to stick with Mr Dempster unless we look like going down which I don't think will happen. We would be better off saving the money on a new manager and investing it in January if we are close to the play offs rather than blow it now and still fail.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am

He needs to go now, simple reality
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 am

Spiritater wrote:

thing is if you keep turning a corner you could end up goin round in circles :lol:

I admit when Pearce scored that winner at Grimsby I thought maybe, just maybe we might turn a corner. Then I look at our stats at home on Tuesday, second string or not, 35% possession at home and no direction from the manager on the touchline brought me back down to earth, and I realised we probably haven’t turned a corner and that it was more a jammy goal at the back of another poor performance.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm

NG17_stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I admit when Pearce scored that winner at Grimsby I thought maybe, just maybe we might turn a corner. Then I look at our stats at home on Tuesday, second string or not, 35% possession at home and no direction from the manager on the touchline brought me back down to earth, and I realised we probably haven’t turned a corner and that it was more a jammy goal at the back of another poor performance.

What you are describing couldnt be further from the truth about tuesday nights match against Crewe. Yes the possession stats are right but dont reflect the truth. Crewe got very lucky to catch oilrig out at the near post with their goal. Whilst Jimmys goal started out from a defensive error it was a quality finish not lucky in any way. On a different day we could have kept a clean sheet and won four nil. Jimmy could have scored three and cook should also have scored. Crewe had more possession but the quality of final pass came from young smith who for me was MOM.
:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby daddycool » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Different game to the one I was at .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 pm

daddycool wrote:Different game to the one I was at .

It comes down to opinion or how you see the game. I was not in the stands but did watch the game live on my television via I follow, so the actual view is different. Example was the commentary team had no idea Crewe had scored a fluke goal but live on I follow it was clear and obvious it had gone in under the angle of post and crossbar.
Statistically Crewe took every opportunity to play out from the back but stags allowed them to do it, so possession was mainly in the Crewe defensive half not the stags defensive half where goals are scored, hence they only got the one fluke. At times the stags used the quick press on the Crewe defense and that resulted in Jimmy getting the ball on the edge of the box and scoring with a quality finish. Something Maynard hasnt been doing in similar positions recently. Ali smith played the better football in midfield and put our right wing back Clarke behind their defense, his cross was by Jimmy at the near post and he created a very good chance to score but the keeper saved it pushing it into the air when cook volleyed it against the keeper from four yards when a side foot finish would have done the trick. Smith again put Jimmy through one on one with the keeper as as he went round the keeper he was unfortunate to loose close control with the net gaping. On another day three goals for Jimmy. If you listen to the interview with Jimmy after the game he agrees, All in all I wonder which game you watched because stags were very very unlucky not to get the win over Crewe which the performance deserved for me. Statistics dont always reflect the truth but can be bent to suit your position I suppose,
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
NG17_stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

What you are describing couldnt be further from the truth about tuesday nights match against Crewe. Yes the possession stats are right but dont reflect the truth. Crewe got very lucky to catch oilrig out at the near post with their goal. Whilst Jimmys goal started out from a defensive error it was a quality finish not lucky in any way. On a different day we could have kept a clean sheet and won four nil. Jimmy could have scored three and cook should also have scored. Crewe had more possession but the quality of final pass came from young smith who for me was MOM.

wow just wow :shock: :shock:

Nurse
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
NG17_stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

wow just wow :shock: :shock:

Nurse

You could always go watch Donny, their already in league one and swap managers frequently youth
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:44 pm

you don’t choose ya team
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:you don’t choose ya team
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

If that’s true, you’re the biggest mistake they’ve EVER made. :D
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

Then support the stags team effort, stop hounding the team and manager and be positive
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

Then support the stags team effort, stop hounding the team and manager and be positive

are you for real?, it’s never going to work man, fgs he’s out of his depth

every bloody man and his dog can see it :shock:

i want us to win football match’s & we won’t whilst we keep it the same, it’s no biggie every club in the world changes their manager when it’s not working, we must do the same
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:18 pm

arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

i want us to win football match’s & we won’t whilst we keep it the same, it’s no biggie every club in the world changes their manager when it’s not working, we must do the same

Are you for real ever????
If it works or not its never going to be a nobody like you to make a key decision about when to change manager or why. Its the Radfords and the board youth. We all want to win ffotball matches, we won the last one and we will win the next. Whats gone before cannot be changed and it was crap at best but its improving and momentum can be achieved if you get behind the team you negative moaning person. Take you dog to Donny if you cant get behind our team. Changing the manager now would be a bigger gamble that giving JD more time. He is still learning and its a steep curve but it not impossible to improve. We will beat Oldham, FGR will be a different challenge altogether one game at a time
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Ah blind faith, great argument DogsDoDahs....

I also don't agree that changing manager now would be gamble. How does the saying go, "do what you did, get what you go"... One win and you seem to think we've turned a corner, i hope your right, but most people would disagree with that. A lucky last minute winner does not, for me anyway, signal a turning point. It might generate some confidence that will help, but the very fact our manager can't get this team (top 3 budget) going speaks volumes.

As ever, i hope he does get the results and proves me and other wrong. I want nothing more than for him to be a success and will be supporting at the games. But i've seen enough football at this level to know that is very very unlikely to happen. He's on borrowed time, failing so far and i've seen nothing in our attitude, performances or anything else to suggest it will improve and this is a blip.

He has no style of play. No new ideas. Can't set us up defensively and we don't score many goals. This isn't just a judgement after 2 games, its 15 games in now (cup included) and its the same fair time after time.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

If it works or not its never going to be a nobody like you to make a key decision about when to change manager or why. Its the Radfords and the board youth. We all want to win ffotball matches, we won the last one and we will win the next. Whats gone before cannot be changed and it was crap at best but its improving and momentum can be achieved if you get behind the team you negative moaning person. Take you dog to Donny if you cant get behind our team. Changing the manager now would be a bigger gamble that giving JD more time. He is still learning and its a steep curve but it not impossible to improve. We will beat Oldham, FGR will be a different challenge altogether one game at a time

Common sense alert
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 pm

spanishstag wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
ya team chooses you

Born a Stag
Live a Stag
Die a Stag

Common sense alert

:shock:

The players/formation/tactics are not working it’s as plain as day, i fail to see any other argument than for a change of manager, what the heck are some of you watching ?
it’s shocking football, we have gone from free flowing attacking football with a cast iron defence to this shambolic shower and the only difference is Walker gone for Cook & Maynard and ofcourse a different management team ......you work it out :roll:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.

Regardless, Dempster is way above his level of incompetence.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum