{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ungrateful fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Ungrateful fans

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:I’m certainly not ungrateful, however, I have always had disdain and contempt for clubs who invest heavily, but then think they have an automatic right to success, the level of entitlement is vomit inducing.

It makes it worse when said clubs sack a manager when he fails by a slender margin.

I have a great deal of respect for JR who has always conducted himself with great integrity, but I sincerely hope we haven’t just become that type of entitled club. Some of our fans have been a total PIA this season, expecting to just turn up and win every match, but I thought we had a more measured view at the helm.

Also the character assassination we have had for some time of Flitcroft is despicable, the guy did his best for us and was within a whisker of succeeding. I will be fully behind JD, but also am grateful to Flitcroft for a great campaign where we were in the mix right to the very last kick of the season. That doesn’t happen very often.

GREAT POST
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:I’m certainly not ungrateful, however, I have always had disdain and contempt for clubs who invest heavily, but then think they have an automatic right to success, the level of entitlement is vomit inducing.

It makes it worse when said clubs sack a manager when he fails by a slender margin.

I have a great deal of respect for JR who has always conducted himself with great integrity, but I sincerely hope we haven’t just become that type of entitled club. Some of our fans have been a total PIA this season, expecting to just turn up and win every match, but I thought we had a more measured view at the helm.

Also the character assassination we have had for some time of Flitcroft is despicable, the guy did his best for us and was within a whisker of succeeding. I will be fully behind JD, but also am grateful to Flitcroft for a great campaign where we were in the mix right to the very last kick of the season. That doesn’t happen very often.

Best post on this horrible thread.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm

BigGuy wrote:The tone of some of these posts quite disgust me, have a read up on David and his brother in relation to their father and you'll get my point.

DF came across as a genuine bloke, and after bumping into him during the season, he was so desperate for us to succeed, as we all were and still are.

Bringing him down with name calling says more about the posters than DF, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Yes, in the end there was an obvious tactical shortfall. but no one said a damn thing when we were going 20 odd games unbeaten.

Have a chat with the Directors and you might find out just how genuine Flitcroft actually was.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 am

Grendon Stag wrote:
BigGuy wrote:The tone of some of these posts quite disgust me, have a read up on David and his brother in relation to their father and you'll get my point.

DF came across as a genuine bloke, and after bumping into him during the season, he was so desperate for us to succeed, as we all were and still are.

Bringing him down with name calling says more about the posters than DF, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Yes, in the end there was an obvious tactical shortfall. but no one said a damn thing when we were going 20 odd games unbeaten.

Have a chat with the Directors and you might find out just how genuine Flitcroft actually was.

That ain’t gonna happen, now is it?

[stops to wipe previous poster’s bull off his boots]

If you can’t or won’t elaborate then don’t cast aspersions.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu May 16, 2019 6:01 am

Grendon Stag wrote:

Spill or say nothing!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 am

ummm interesting, let’s be havin it then
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu May 16, 2019 6:22 am

Accrington and possibly Newport this season proves its no fluke to get promoted on a low budget .Its hard work that leads the way . Flitcroft struggled to motivate at times
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bux46 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am

Thank you, David, for making me proud to be a Stags fan, where for a period we could walk out of away stadiums and our own feeling proud, I for one am sorry it didn't work out for you and wish yourself and Futch all the best in your next appointment ......
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iansmith » Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am

Grendon Stag wrote:
BigGuy wrote:

When Ollie Palmer and one or two others couldn't leave without having a spiteful swipe at the club they were seen as unprofessional and lacking class. I'll file your own comment in the same drawer.

Perhaps the decent thing to do yesterday would have been to follow Will Atkinson's example......so I'll do it for you.

Thanks David Flitcroft. So near and yet so far. Best wishes to you and your family and good luck for the future.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby James » Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 am

Grendon Stag wrote:

Obviously meaning Hymas, who has had his nosed pushed out by Flitcroft telling him the training ground wasn't ready for the 1st team. All reading between the lines but seems pretty obvious.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Ungrateful no. Disappointment yes.

Disappointment at the sacking of a manager who cared about the club, got us within a whisker of promotion and with one more transfer window would have got rid of the final members of SE expensive team.

Disappointed at going back to the cheaper option of a rookie manager and all that entails. Fear of more disappointment when the new managers back up team is announced.

Also disappointment of potential smaller crowds after this season's increase (which has been so hard to achieve over the years).

I text a friend about the decision and his reaction, what idiot made that decision. Thing is most of our rivals fans are saying the same. "Bad decision, they will struggle next year".

I will, as ever, back JR, the new manager and the team, but the disappointment of moving backwards after being so close is deep.

I broadly agree with that...
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 16, 2019 6:51 pm

James wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

Obviously meaning Hymas, who has had his nosed pushed out by Flitcroft telling him the training ground wasn't ready for the 1st team. All reading between the lines but seems pretty obvious.

from what I heard the grass pitches weren't ready and it was only the 4G pitches, and wasn't Bobby olejnik injured on the 4G pitch? could be completely wrong
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

from what I heard the grass pitches weren't ready and it was only the 4G pitches, and wasn't Bobby olejnik injured on the 4G pitch? could be completely wrong

True. But when does fact ever get in the way of ridiculous speculation on this forum?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

The grass pitches were not fit for a professional footballer to use, but have been used for the various youth teams. Work has already started on rectifying them for next season.
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby jpstags » Fri May 17, 2019 7:51 am

Kenwood wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

The grass pitches were not fit for a professional footballer to use, but have been used for the various youth teams. Work has already started on rectifying them for next season.

The pitches were still better than the one Newport play on.
It seems to me that it's the same posters that won't hear anything bad about their beloved Flipflop that wanted Evans out from day one.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 17, 2019 8:49 am

flitcroft failed to get us promoted. we all know that, and what has Evans got to do with anything?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 17, 2019 9:29 am

Suddenly we are getting expert advice on pitches !

I spoke to Bobby recently, he said this was the first major injury he had in his career. Had DF continued to let players train on such a pitch and other players had got injured he would have been slaughtered on here.

DF has been sacked, so end of story. We have a new manager who I wish well. The only concerns I have now is who his management team will be. I suspect others on here are feeling the same.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:47 pm

4g is only there to train outside in winter when the grass pitches are frozen up. Also for the local community to use for 5 a side etc. For example would a tennis player train for Wimbledon on a hard court? Or clay court? No because the bounce of the ball is different and the feel of the surface is different. It's the same reason footballers need to train on grass. If that's not possible then 4g/5g is the closest they come to grass.

For whatever reason the pitches at Woburn weren't up to standard at the time. I believe it was mentioned when the facility was opened that the grass pitches weren't ready yet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am

I always find its best to gauge an opinion of a manager when he leaves a club from what his players & members of the media say about him on social media.

I’ve only seen Craig Davies day he’s sorry DF has gone & a Post by Robin Chipperfield which speaks volumes. Then Grendons post above. That’s quite damning for someone who was ‘so nice’ etc. I think a lot of people on here don’t know a lot of things that happened behind the scenes & so have their own opinion which is fair enough. But don't slate those who worked with the guy every day/week who form their own opinions also.

Contrast that to Kevin Nolan getting sacked & the amount of Notts players who were vocally gutted on Twitter & there’s a huge difference.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 18, 2019 9:02 am

Dan wrote: Post by Robin Chipperfield which speaks volumes.

To put some context on this. Flitcroft was not helpful to the media in ways that previous managers had been and generally are. Biggest example the flat refusal to do pre-match interviews which previous managers had all done, and give out the team news a few minutes ahead of the 2pm deadline so that they could prepare what to say at 2pm on a matchday. There were other examples too. Just to put context on it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am

what an evil evil man! :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat May 18, 2019 9:24 am

ultimately he failed to get us promoted which was his target with massive support from JR, i guess he knew what was coming, JD is the chairman’s choice.....we move on together
he has kept who he wants on next season and with three or four quality additions we will push on again, irrespective of success or failure we will always be there

up the Stags
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

To put some context on this. Flitcroft was not helpful to the media in ways that previous managers had been and generally are. Biggest example the flat refusal to do pre-match interviews which previous managers had all done, and give out the team news a few minutes ahead of the 2pm deadline so that they could prepare what to say at 2pm on a matchday. There were other examples too. Just to put context on it.

Don't forget he upset Robin's mate Paul Anderson. Diddums.

Radio Nottingham sniping about poor treatment from Mansfield Town, oh the irony.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Ah didums! You got treated like a normal pleb. Boo hoo you.

Pretentious or what.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Big yella wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Ah didums! You got treated like a normal pleb. Boo hoo you.

Pretentious or what.

I was giving context to Chipperfield's tweet for anyone interested, since Dan suggested it "spoke volumes". It was nothing to do with me, I wasn't being "treated" like anything.

I don't think it did really speak volumes.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum