{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Glovers scorefred sponsored by Bish's sore tab

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Glovers scorefred sponsored by Bish's sore tab

Postby Stag95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 pm

bigalstag wrote:Showed how much we need this new striker. Unfortunately Khan, Rose and OSJ are not the players to sustain a promotion push, as I don't think they've produced a goal between them since October and don't look like doing so.
Typical of the club to pass over a chance to get a cushion, points wise, in the table. Thus it ever was.

Not sure you can blame Sterling-James. He can't even make the bench even though he always looks good in reserve games.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm

We need to move on ,bad day lets get a couple in and move on
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tinman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm

tinman wrote:1-0 to Yeovil

Ps. I haven't got a score prediction right this season :P

Sorry :(
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Stag95 wrote:
bigalstag wrote:Showed how much we need this new striker. Unfortunately Khan, Rose and OSJ are not the players to sustain a promotion push, as I don't think they've produced a goal between them since October and don't look like doing so.
Typical of the club to pass over a chance to get a cushion, points wise, in the table. Thus it ever was.

Not sure you can blame Sterling-James. He can't even make the bench even though he always looks good in reserve games.

It's a shame Sterling-James hasn't got a look in as he looked good in pre-season (though that's a long time ago now) and in reserves. He is blameless and can do no worse than Rose right now.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 pm

My greatest fear realisd, we can't play without Bishop.

With the exeption of Benning the whole team underperfrmed, particularly the back three, White and CJ.

Shocking performance, worst of the season, what would be going through th e minds of any prospective signings after watching that?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Hopefully that they can walk into that side and make an impact no problem
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Just watched the post match interview with Flitcroft. Puts the blame squarely with the forward players and says we've not got courage or the right mindset.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Hero » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Agreed, I thought Flitcroft was quite pointed with his criticism and also more agitated than we normally see him. No stand out performances for me today and some that were well below the standard we’ve become accustomed to.

Crawley is a chance to get back to winning ways. We need to start to find the back of the net or it could be a difficult January.
Harrington St Hero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Lets look at the facts.

Rose has not been the same really since last season. No idea what has happened but just not what we expect from him. I'd say he gets more attempts off target than he does get on target.

Davies out for most of the season after looking promising early doors.

Walker. He is doing fine. His goals have got us up where we are.

CJ. Player here there and everywhere, I'm waiting for him to turn up goal one game! For me he is similar to Walker when up front.

Both Walker and CJ need someone who is good in the air next to them. Not necessarily a big lump of a forward but someone who can put themselves about a bit to give the defence something to think about. Right now as soon as a long ball gets played forwards defenders just lap it up. Any CB who can read the game will cut out a pass considering we seem to take a few extra touches. Some of our better goals have come from some quick passing into space.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Man of the Match?

Couldn’t place one!

Yeovil's right winger by a country mile. None of our defenders could handle him. Although the referee helped him by not booking him despite several foul plays.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 am

Suspected another blip today as used to MTFC history which is giant and 2 steps forward then one or a couple more back
Classic Stags today lowly opposition full strength team save Bishop and defeat to follow last week’s defeat after long run of wins
Needs to be sorted out very quickly to avoid dropping out and games in hand very crucial now
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Khan off Rose on.

Cometh the hour?

And we're STILL waiting.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:36 am

MansfieldMick wrote:19 attempts at goal, 9 on target, 10 corners..... No goals, says it all really.

Exactly.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 am

Rose simply doesn't fit into our system. He seems to have lost all confidence and struggles to get anything on target. If anyone is interested in signing him, we should let him go. It would be in the best interests of the club and player. I think Graham is a better option than him at the moment. As for Stirling - James he is completely out of DF's reckoning.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am

Why did we tie OSJ down with a new deal just before Evans got the call from the Far East...gonna cost us to get shot
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 am

Quite simply when teams set up like that (and Swindon) it feels like whoever gets the first goal will take the game. I think Yeovil got a lot of help from the ref today, mainly how many of their tactical fouls and timewasting was let go which ruined our rhythm and tempo.

Getting the first goal meant they only had to offer the threat up front and concentrate on stifling the way we play. It’s a great compliment when teams do this but tactically where’s our plan b? I would assume it would have been get Davies on but with him injured (or ineffectful at times) were pretty predictable and stoppable.

That said if we went ahead instead you’d expect the game to have to open up more and I’d expect us to push on in games.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am

I thought we were missing two things yesterday which were leadership on the pitch and clinical/calm finishing.
Neal Bishop was definitely missed. He brings control to the midfield and is normally quite calm( although not last week) which allows the other midfielders to relax and play their normal game. Will Atkinson does not bring this no matter how hard he tries. Krystian Pearce also seems to be below his normally high standards for the last few matches.
Our forwards also seem to be rushing things a bit when an extra touch or bit of calmness might produce a better opportunity. A few times yesterday we could have gone round the keeper rather than shooting from a tight angle or that extra touch would have allowed better placement of a shot.
We have quite a young squad with yesterday’s atarting eleven being under 25 on average (finishing 11 under 24) and I’m sure they can all improve. We have set ourselves very high standards and yesterday they fell a bit short despite a good second half. Yeovil also did a good job on us in tricky conditions by breaking up play and slowing things down (with the help of a weak referee).
That said, we are still in a good position despite this blip. On to Crawley on Tuesday when we can hopefully get back on track and into the top 3 again.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Conker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm

They were all crap but Matt Preston has worried me recently, gave the daft penalty late on to Bury,got away with one at Grimsby and now the sending off yesterday.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Our most influential outfield players this season have been Neal Bishop, Jacob Mellis, CJ Hamilton and Krystian Pearce. Neal Bishop was missing yesterday and CJ Hamilton had his second poor game in a row. Krystian has been less commanding than usual in the last two games. I thought Jacob Mellis was one of our better players yesterday but he is much better when Bishop is behind him and he can get further forward.

Otis Khan and Will Atkinson had a big chance to impress. Both did OK. They were no worse than some of the others players but they had no real impact on the game. I would have kept Hayden White on as he was getting forward well on the right but his final ball/decision was letting him down. He has been in decent form in the last 6/7 games. I would have given CJ more of a run down the left as he is much more effective in that position.

The conditions were very difficult. It was very cold and windy at pitch level. We should have come away with at least a point and would have accepted ABD. It was just one of those cold and windy frustrating Field Mill days though. Hopefully we will all be feeling happier on Tuesday evening.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Conker wrote:They were all crap but Matt Preston has worried me recently, gave the daft penalty late on to Bury,got away with one at Grimsby and now the sending off yesterday.

I have thought that too. His first yellow yesterday was a bit soft but the second could easily have been a straight red. The referee, not for the first time yesterday, took the easy option. He has been looking a bit off the pace recently. It is his first full season at the age of 23 and he has not missed any games since his concussion in August when he missed the 2 League Cup matches and 3 league matches. I’m not trying to make excuses, just pointing out facts. Perhaps missing Tuesday is a small godsend. Likewise for Bishop missing yesterday. They might come back more refreshed.
A couple of new faces and Mirfin (and hopefully Macca) coming back from injury will give Flitcroft more options if players are looking a bit off the pace.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby James » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

We’ve got a fairly small squad, and have been using the same 18/20 all season. No wonder they’re starting to look a little leggy. Could do with some fresh faces now I think to help the lads out.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Got a huge budget though!

It’s all fallen victim to Evans leaving and DF different formation / style of play meaning we have players like Atkinson, Butcher, Anderson etc who have no real part to play.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Our most influential outfield players this season have been Neal Bishop, Jacob Mellis, CJ Hamilton and Krystian Pearce. Neal Bishop was missing yesterday and CJ Hamilton had his second poor game in a row. Krystian has been less commanding than usual in the last two games. I thought Jacob Mellis was one of our better players yesterday but he is much better when Bishop is behind him and he can get further forward.

Otis Khan and Will Atkinson had a big chance to impress. Both did OK. They were no worse than some of the others players but they had no real impact on the game. I would have kept Hayden White on as he was getting forward well on the right but his final ball/decision was letting him down. He has been in decent form in the last 6/7 games. I would have given CJ more of a run down the left as he is much more effective in that position.

The conditions were very difficult. It was very cold and windy at pitch level. We should have come away with at least a point and would have accepted ABD. It was just one of those cold and windy frustrating Field Mill days though. Hopefully we will all be feeling happier on Tuesday evening.

Decent summary
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Bish was poor the half he played at Carlisle. Yesterday they stifled the back three and the middle two. Not sure how Bush would have fared in this situation.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 pm

stag861 wrote:Bish was poor the half he played at Carlisle. Yesterday they stifled the back three and the middle two. Not sure how Bush would have fared in this situation.

Bishop would have brought creative ENERGY. This was in short supply against Yeovil.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum