{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report (PLUS clarification on suspensions)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report (PLUS clarification on suspensions)

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:08 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:12 pm

I thought it was a penalty too Martin, I think there were about 3 or 4 MK defenders around him and he was just completely taken out. Stocksbridge was poor today and fell for the typical tisdale antics that we all saw at Exeter.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Official site and announcement said 394 visitors, Martin.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 pm

part time pete wrote:Official site and announcement said 394 visitors, Martin.

I thought they announced that too! Still pretty piss poor though.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:42 pm

halifaxstag wrote:

We would take three times that to MK if the roles were reversed. Plastic club, plastic fans.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Rob wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:

We would take three times that to MK if the roles were reversed. Plastic club, plastic fans.

I actually hate these raspberry more than Chesterfield & County combined.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:18 pm

thanks Pete. I thought Alan said 294. MK Dons twitter feed also gives it as 294. I'll check with Alan.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

thanks Pete. I thought Alan said 294. MK Dons twitter feed also gives it as 294. I'll check with Alan.

thanks Pete, you were right, I was wrong, as was the MK Dons twitter feed. Alan will read it as "three hundred and ninety four, that's three nine four" in future, as he does with the full attendance.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am

Did Benning pick up a yellow card yesterday. If so was that his 5th
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 am

Bros wrote:Did Benning pick up a yellow card yesterday. If so was that his 5th

Benning was indeed booked.

I was taking my figures from thefa.com which had Sweeney "one caution away from suspension" before yesterday's game (so he will be suspended for Crewe as he was booked), and did not list Benning in that category.

Thefa.com website claims that "Data on this page is updated following receipt of the Match Officials' reports" and has not been properly updated from yesterday yet.

However I agree from totting up it looks like he has been booked 6 times in total, with one in the Checkatrade trophy. So perhaps thefa.com is incorrect. Or maybe there was one game where it appeared he was booked, but actually he wasn't.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am

report updated after going through the game again
http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewr ... atchid=952

One update of note, which shows that OPTA, BBC text etc can be wrong on bookings:

On 84 minutes, Aneke fouled Bishop. He had to be booked surely after he should have been booked on three previous occasions? He wasn’t. Though the OPTA stats and MK Dons twitter feed say Aneke was booked on this occasion. I didn’t think he was and have double checked on the video. Aneke was immediately substituted.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:38 am

CJ and Bishop were pretty poor IMO, both were not at the races so I personally think 7 for Bish is generous.

They are usually our better performers so you have to just let it go but I worried if Bish can continue these Saturday, Tuesday games because to me he looked quite tired.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Conker wrote:CJ and Bishop were pretty poor IMO, both were not at the races so I personally think 7 for Bish is generous.

They are usually our better performers so you have to just let it go but I worried if Bish can continue these Saturday, Tuesday games because to me he looked quite tired.

Bishop made a couple of errors, and I can see why someone would say they thought he had a poor game, but overall he had a decent game in my opinion.

Hamilton terrorised the defence with some of his runs, but rather too typically didn't hit the target with shots or had them blocked. He also did some good defending.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:46 pm

for anyone interested, this is a piece I did on Radio Nottm BEFORE the game yesterday

http://stagsnet.net/interviews/MKDonsH_ ... oNottm.mp3
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Conker wrote:CJ and Bishop were pretty poor IMO, both were not at the races so I personally think 7 for Bish is generous.

Bishop made a couple of errors, and I can see why someone would say they thought he had a poor game, but overall he had a decent game in my opinion.

Hamilton terrorised the defence with some of his runs, but rather too typically didn't hit the target with shots or had them blocked. He also did some good defending.

I thought that Hamilton had one of his worst games this season, and gave the ball away a lot. He didn't terrorise the defence much in the second half as they appeared to be able to block him or take the ball from him quite easily. However he still looked the most likely to unlock the MK defence, but he appeared to be brought off after a particularly poor couple of minutes of play.

Also the match was good until half time, after which it degenerated a lot. Much of the time the ball seemed to be played over head height, passing was disjointed and errors legion. Perhaps each side was successful in making the other look poor.

Bishop is very slow, so in many matches he gets caught out from time to time and has to be rescued. The rest of the time his reading of the game is excellent so he doesn't need to run too much. He was OK yesterday apart from one bad error. Certainly we need his experience and influence.

Walker is a dilemma. He does some good work, and gets in good scoring positions - his anticipation is good. His finishing is awful though. If we had an on-form Danny Rose who just needed an able assistant then Walker would be fine. If we could afford to keep Walker for another season or two he may well improve his finishing and become a real force at this level. But he was brought in for his actual finishing prowess, and on that front we seem to have been swindled. Rose, on the other hand, seems to read the game less well and isn't in a good position when the crucial pass is delivered, so only gets chance to snatch at a shot or construct something from an awkward out-of-balance stance. Possibly both strikers may settle in to regular scoring with a bit less nervousness and a bit more confidence. All the front men suffer from nerves, and tighten up badly when faced with a shot at goal. Mellis managed to overcome that for a moment and stuck his shot sweetly, but then next try he was back to the nervous scuffed effort.

The penalty incident looked like a probable foul at the time, but the video shows it as a certain foul that the ref should have given without hesitation. Very poor refereeing - again it seems that we don't get the rub of the green with officials.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Largely agree with the ratings.

Hamilton was really poor though. Constant mis-controls, wasting opportunities from good shooting and crossing positions, air kicks, his worst display for a while. Benning wasn't much better either.

I thought Walker had his best game for a while also. Caused their defence problems. Just needs a goal to restore his confidence.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm

What was the injury to Khan Martin? Hopefully not too serious?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:44 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:What was the injury to Khan Martin? Hopefully not too serious?

a problem with his Achilles tendon. Don't now how serious it was.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Mostly agree on players ratings

...but...what does Butcher actually contribute?

His contribution was minimal. Play passed him by and never seemed to be involved, other than wave arms and point willy nilly. I presumed he came on, despite Khans injury, to beef up the midfield? (which he didn't!) A 5 from me which is generous imo

With hindsight why didn't Elsnik come on?

Rosey ran his socks off, Walker seems to lack confidence (another Hemmings 'we must play him' scenario?)

Bish had a couple of moments but we do need him - MK were fast and sharp which probably highlighted his lack of pace. So maybe the rest of the team should notch up a gear in that respect?

Our defence stuck to their task - I was impressed.

Mr Stockbridge I thought started off well, aka speaking to their captain re standing in front of the ball at free kicks, but then lost it as the game wore on esp re Aneke who knew he had got away with it as he walked past at the end.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Bros wrote:Did Benning pick up a yellow card yesterday. If so was that his 5th

Benning was indeed booked.

I was taking my figures from thefa.com which had Sweeney "one caution away from suspension" before yesterday's game (so he will be suspended for Crewe as he was booked), and did not list Benning in that category.

Thefa.com website claims that "Data on this page is updated following receipt of the Match Officials' reports" and has not been properly updated from yesterday yet.

However I agree from totting up it looks like he has been booked 6 times in total, with one in the Checkatrade trophy. So perhaps thefa.com is incorrect. Or maybe there was one game where it appeared he was booked, but actually he wasn't.

Thefa.com has now been updated.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... uspensions

According to this, Sweeney is suspended vs Crewe. Benning is not listed as suspended or as one caution away. I can't explain that.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:09 pm

clarification on suspensions:

Sweeney has five league bookings and is suspended tomorrow.

Benning has four league bookings (Yeovil, Macclesfield, Northampton, MK Dons). He was also booked in Carabao cup and Checkatrade trophy. Bookings in Carabao cup and Checkatrade trophy only count towards that competition this season.
So Benning is one game away from suspension. We cannot explain why this is not included on thefa.com website, but it is definitely true.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:clarification on suspensions:

Benning has four league bookings (Yeovil, Macclesfield, Northampton, MK Dons). He was also booked in Carabao cup and Checkatrade trophy. Bookings in Carabao cup and Checkatrade trophy only count towards that competition this season.
So Benning is one game away from suspension. We cannot explain why this is not included on thefa.com website, but it is definitely true.

Oh dear, that means CJ out of position again :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

With Sweeney suspended and White still injured (I assume?), it's likely Benning may play centre half as he did against WBA. The only other options are Gibbens or a change of formation. This obviously opens up LWB for CJ, which is obviously still out of position but as close as it gets within our system. Atkinson would then play RWB. If Khan is injured, there is also the option of CJ playing in his role, Gibbens playing centre back and Atko and Benning wing backs. Seems more likely though that Butcher will play.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Double post.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

With Sweeney suspended and White still injured (I assume?), it's likely Benning may play centre half as he did against WBA. The only other options are Gibbens or a change of formation. This obviously opens up LWB for CJ, which is obviously still out of position but as close as it gets within our system. Atkinson would then play RWB. If Khan is injured, there is also the option of CJ playing in his role, Gibbens playing centre back and Atko and Benning wing backs. Seems more likely though that Butcher will play.

Butcher, noooooooooo
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum