{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Colchester fred sponsored by It's In Our Hands

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Colchester fred sponsored by It's In Our Hands

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:43 pm

looked an absolute blatant penalty from the West End upper
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm

1st Half Stoppages

Col U Goal: 1m 10s
Goodman going down injured: 2m 25s
Bradley Ihionvien stopping quick and receiving yellow card: 25s
Connor Hall wasting time taking a free kick and receiving a yellow card: 50s
Goal Kicks: 43s, 25s, 30s, 30s
Free Kicks: 30s, 38s
Throw Ins: 1 or 2 players picking the ball up to take a throw before dropping it for the full back to take it.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:54 am

We should really be hoping that Colchester get 3 points in the games against our promotion rivals, not go down. If we do end up in League 1 next season, we won't have to deal with them anyway, but the Spireites and Counteh will :lol:
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:03 am

Stag on the Beach wrote:We should really be hoping that Colchester get 3 points in the games against our promotion rivals, not go down. If we do end up in League 1 next season, we won't have to deal with them anyway, but the Spireites and Counteh will :lol:

And you wouldn't put it past the Cowleys to do for them what Steve Evans did for Stevenage who were in the same position two years ago.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 am

I'm worried when Accrington and FGR come to Field Mill were going to see more of these tactics. If either or both of them score first we're in for another tough match. We can't afford to drop more points to teams towardsq the bottom.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:54 am

Tre Cool wrote:I'm worried when Accrington and FGR come to Field Mill were going to see more of these tactics. If either or both of them score first we're in for another tough match. We can't afford to drop more points to teams towardsq the bottom.

Then we should just go for their jugular straight off like we have done in so many games and not pay any respect, just get into them and at them so it's too late by the time we are 2 or 3 goals ahead. Too often we play this sideways football at home then all of a sudden the opposition gets at us, they nick it away and we are back pedaling fast and often it takes ages after that to get going.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:59 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:1st Half Stoppages

Col U Goal: 1m 10s
Goodman going down injured: 2m 25s
Bradley Ihionvien stopping quick and receiving yellow card: 25s
Connor Hall wasting time taking a free kick and receiving a yellow card: 50s
Goal Kicks: 43s, 25s, 30s, 30s
Free Kicks: 30s, 38s
Throw Ins: 1 or 2 players picking the ball up to take a throw before dropping it for the full back to take it.

Adds up to about 3 mins yeah ? :coys:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pm

I can see Wrexham and Stockport beating them on there good pitch
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm

daddycool wrote:I can see Wrexham and Stockport beating them on there good pitch

Col U don't have a good pitch.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:32 pm

2nd Half Stoppages

Harry Anderson "Injury" 2 minutes
MTFC Goal 30s
Substitution 1 36s
Substitution 2 50s
Substitution 3 32s
Substitution 4 1 minute
Substitution 5 30s

Plus timewasting on free kicks, goal kicks and throw ins

6 minutes added on time. Probably should have been 7 or 8.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:40 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:I cannot understand this Bowery was rubbish, he seemed to play right back , right half and right wing, not getting much help at all , . DKD and Akins were equally as poor. Like a scapegoat at stags dont we. Its not saying too much for the other players when old lad Quinn was the best player.

Jordan Bowery did not have his best game but he was not as bad as some fans made out. He did make some good challenges and he was up against a decent player in Jayden Fevrier who played well against us at Col U. The same applies to Hiram Boateng.

I agree about Stephen Quinn. I had him as MOM at Bradford and thought he was our best player again on Saturday.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:Worst case scenario today with them getting an early goal. The ridiculous time wasting had already started as early as the third minute but they predictably ramped it up after getting the goal. The officials were dreadful in dealing with it and could have stamped it out much earlier in the game. The keeper prattling about with every goal kick should have been booked and the Cowley’s were both constantly in the technical area together and the fourth official did naff all about it. I think it was a different fourth official for the second half and he did seem to put them in their place a bit more.

First half we were poor and just didn’t get going, would have like us to press their keeper with the ball at his feet, we did it once and he got in an almighty mess. I think his constantly kicking the ball into touch must have been tactical to break the game up and not just because the wind was getting hold of the ball.

Second half we were much better and pegged them back and moved the ball pretty well. I thought Quinny was excellent and put a couple of excellent balls in to the box. Was nice to see him linking up well with Macca when he came on, felt all nostalgic. Surely there should’ve have been a penalty for Swanny getting booted up on the air late on in the middle of that scramble.

That could turn out to be a vital point against an awful opponent, thank god we don’t have to play against the Cowley’s every week, they make Steve Evans seem like a saint, a pair of classless jokers who play a dreadful brand of non football. I would never ever want them anywhere near MTFC. Like Sneag I now find myself hoping either Sutton or FGR send them down.

On we go to Hollywood FC and I hope they have a go at taking the game to us. It will certainly be a much better advert for L2 in front of the cameras than today.

A very good summary Showaddywaddy. I also thought Stephen Quinn was excellent. He was our main player who was trying to get the ball down and get us playing. We were more of a threat down the left although Ollie Clarke put a good ball in from the right which should have resulted in a penalty.

I also thought Alistair Smith had a good game for Col U who had some decent players on the bench in the form of Noah Chilvers and Matt Jay. I can see them both being surplus to requirements under the Cowleys as the ball whistles over their heads.

It has not really worked out for Matt Jay (27) at Col U. He's only made 13(21) league apps for them since signing in January 23. We could sign him to add to our collection of No 10's and also sign Samson Tovide (20) as Lucas Akins' apprentice.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:Worst case scenario today with them getting an early goal. The ridiculous time wasting had already started as early as the third minute but they predictably ramped it up after getting the goal. The officials were dreadful in dealing with it and could have stamped it out much earlier in the game. The keeper prattling about with every goal kick should have been booked and the Cowley’s were both constantly in the technical area together and the fourth official did naff all about it. I think it was a different fourth official for the second half and he did seem to put them in their place a bit more.

First half we were poor and just didn’t get going, would have like us to press their keeper with the ball at his feet, we did it once and he got in an almighty mess. I think his constantly kicking the ball into touch must have been tactical to break the game up and not just because the wind was getting hold of the ball.

Second half we were much better and pegged them back and moved the ball pretty well. I thought Quinny was excellent and put a couple of excellent balls in to the box. Was nice to see him linking up well with Macca when he came on, felt all nostalgic. Surely there should’ve have been a penalty for Swanny getting booted up on the air late on in the middle of that scramble.

That could turn out to be a vital point against an awful opponent, thank god we don’t have to play against the Cowley’s every week, they make Steve Evans seem like a saint, a pair of classless jokers who play a dreadful brand of non football. I would never ever want them anywhere near MTFC. Like Sneag I now find myself hoping either Sutton or FGR send them down.

On we go to Hollywood FC and I hope they have a go at taking the game to us. It will certainly be a much better advert for L2 in front of the cameras than today.

A very good summary Showaddywaddy. I also thought Stephen Quinn was excellent. He was our main player who was trying to get the ball down and get us playing. We were more of a threat down the left although Ollie Clarke put a good ball in from the right which should have resulted in a penalty.

I also thought Alistair Smith had a good game for Col U who had some decent players on the bench in the form of Noah Chilvers and Matt Jay. I can see them both being surplus to requirements under the Cowleys as the ball whistles over their heads.

It has not really worked out for Matt Jay (27) at Col U. He's only made 13(21) league apps for them since signing in January 23. We could sign him to add to our collection of No 10's and also sign Samson Tovide (20) as Lucas Akins' apprentice.

Samson Tovide as Lucas' apprentice is a very, very good idea!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:23 pm

Colchester have some very good players, they should be nowhere near the foot of the table.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:13 pm

Agreed , I thought Arthur Read was very good, a good option to replace Quinny for me.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:51 pm

I thought Smith had a good game for them and has bulked up a bit and learnt some of the dark arts from the Cowley
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm

daddycool wrote:I thought Smith had a good game for them and has bulked up a bit and learnt some of the dark arts from the Cowley

Probably already knew quite a bit from his time ago Sutton
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 am

In the context of the time wasting from Colchester, this thread shows an interesting pilot project taking place next season to ensure that referees enforce rules to stop keepers from taking too long before releasing the ball.

"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:In the context of the time wasting from Colchester, this thread shows an interesting pilot project taking place next season to ensure that referees enforce rules to stop keepers from taking too long before releasing the ball.

It states in the article that it can be trialled in the EFL Trophy, but doesn't mention anything about the league?

I would expect there would 't be much time wasting in the EFL trophy as it's irrelevant to most and they don't want to be in it anyway?

For the trial to be successful it needs to happen against Colchester in league games every week!
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

In any case, the real abuse by Colchester was their keeper going down "injured" for the better part of 3 minutes, confident in the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing the ref can do to prevent playacting by a keeper. That's the problem that needs addressing.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum