{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Lewis press conference, Tue 27 Feb

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough & Lewis press conference, Tue 27 Feb

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:49 pm

robbingdog wrote:How can committing a foul be cheating?

Martin has said exactly how it is. Why do people insist
On trying to be controversial. Fouling someone is not
Cheating. If most fouls are given as cheating then god help us

So what is cheating, only blood doping or ignoring FFP?

Some fouls are practically in the coaching manuals of the game. A tactical, cynical, calculated foul is cheating and presumes the punishment is worth the alternative of letting the player advance fairly. we’ve done it, we’ve expected it, we've had.it.done to us, and when we have we called for a red or yellow card. It's punishable the same as dive or a leg-breaking tackle. But what has a big foul got in common with a little foul? Correct. They're both fouls. And fouls are cheating, hence why they are punishable.

Remind me never to play Scrabble with some on here. You make up words - but not big scoring words with the J and the Z, just little words with a couple of extra vowels!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:50 pm

FGS change the subject
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Ralphy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:52 pm

Don’t worry AWC I’m sure we will lose a game soon to give you something to complain about!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Some fouls are practically in the coaching manuals of the game. A tactical, cynical, calculated foul is cheating and presumes the punishment is worth the alternative of letting the player advance fairly. we’ve done it, we’ve expected it, we've had.it.done to us, and when we have we called for a red or yellow card. It's punishable the same as dive or a leg-breaking tackle. But what has a big foul got in common with a little foul? Correct. They're both fouls. And fouls are cheating, hence why they are punishable.

Remind me never to play Scrabble with some on here. You make up words - but not big scoring words with the J and the Z, just little words with a couple of extra vowels!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

so if Reed trips over an opposition player trying to win the ball but gives away a foul, has he cheated in your eyes?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

so if Reed trips over an opposition player trying to win the ball but gives away a foul, has he cheated in your eyes?

No. But this is because he's 'trying to win the ball'. The discussion was of purposely fouling a player to stop them, and is that cheating. And now it's about what the definition of cheating is in the context of a football match. It might not be cheating, or it might be, but it's definitely against the rules. Opinions eh.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:What a ridiculous debate this is :lol:

I would wager every player ‘cheats’ at least once a game by some peoples definition.

Which is probably accurate.

It appears some continue to fail to understand what discussion forum means, if you aren't interested in the discussion feel free to raspberry off :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

No.

Hmmm I thought you said fouls are cheating
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I get it's not all black and white. We've never been any good at the dark arts like time wasting, going down easily under minimal contact to con the ref, or feigning injury.

Not sure about that awc, Danny Rose was a master at it :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm

Let’s move on to Newport and 3 points
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:24 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

No. But this is because he's 'trying to win the ball'. The discussion was of purposely fouling a player to stop them, and is that cheating. And now it's about what the definition of cheating is in the context of a football match. It might not be cheating, or it might be, but it's definitely against the rules. Opinions eh.

So on Saturday Lucas was repeatedly pushed by Tilt with his hands in the back whilst challenging for high balls. This is 'cheating' Isn't it, because if done it should be a foul as it's not allowed in the rules of the game.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:36 am

This thread and the fact that some people love the sight of their own words is what is forcing people away from Stagsnet so as not to intrude on a core of posters who treat it like their own particular fiefdom.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:48 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:This thread and the fact that some people love the sight of their own words is what is forcing people away from Stagsnet so as not to intrude on a core of posters who treat it like their own particular fiefdom.

This exactly .
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:55 am

I’m quite enjoying this to be honest. First world problems of a Mansfield Town supporter, top of the league so we need to discuss whether a foul is cheating or not.

If I two footed the Bishop Street would that be deemed as a foul to seek an unfair demolition advantage or is it blatantly cheating like leaving a pie heater on?
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:06 am

I always took the view as a Sunday League clogger that a foul wasn't cheating as I was 100% sure I wouldn't get away with it. I wasn't conning the ref, I was just kicking an opponents legs from under him to allow us time to regroup & me to have a breather. :D

I don't even have an issue with time wasting, as frustrating as it is when you are losing, I want us to do it when we're winning. That's just good game management.

Diving is altogether more snide.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:11 am

I definitely advocate “cheating”…as long as we’re the beneficiaries. I’m sick of us not getting certain decisions because we don’t “cheat” or play at the dark arts…it’s time we joined the other 91 league clubs and started doing it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 am

What a pathetic thread.

If anyone thinks fouling in football is cheating then you are watching the wrong sport, try darts..
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:37 am

oldweststander wrote:What a pathetic thread.

If anyone thinks fouling in football is cheating then you are watching the wrong sport, try darts..

I've tried telling them that 180 times
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby mhs » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am

Some of you are completely missing the point that there's a difference between intentional and unintentional.
Incredibly hard for the ref to make the call and this is the reason it's so entrenched in the game.
Intentional fouling as far as I'm concerned is cheating.
It's just accepted as part of the game now and I think that's wrong and sad that we've lost the spirit of sportsmanship and honesty.
mhs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:10 am

Unfortunately every decent teams has a ''dirty'' side to them, its common now to bring a player down before they start attacks. Hence the FA trying to bring in Blue cards.

As soon as the Salford lad picked the ball up I was wanting us to bring him down and take the yellow.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:14 am

lifestags wrote:Unfortunately every decent teams has a ''dirty'' side to them, its common now to bring a player down before they start attacks. Hence the FA trying to bring in Blue cards.

As soon as the Salford lad picked the ball up I was wanting us to bring him down and take the yellow.

Like Cargill did early on to get his booking.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:42 am

lifestags wrote:Unfortunately every decent teams has a ''dirty'' side to them, its common now to bring a player down before they start attacks. Hence the FA trying to bring in Blue cards.

Pretty sure an out field player picking the ball up is cheating...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Pretty sure an out field player picking the ball up is cheating...

Ah memories of Carlton Palmer v Leeds in the Coca Cola Cup.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:45 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Leeds United were the best at it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:07 pm

A foul is part of the game.
Some as a result of poorly timed tackle, others tactical around the centre circle to prevent an attack (Pep Guardiola's favourite).
Some could be deemed as cheating but part and parcel of the game.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum