{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report, including detailed report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report, including detailed report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:08 am

Looking at the cards section.

10 yellows before the end of game 37 results in 2 game ban.

So in 4 games time, the end of the Tranmere game (assuming no postponements obviously) on 12th March.

Reed (8), Clarke (7) and Cargill (6) are possible to receive bans by accumulating yellows. Reed is a real danger of getting those 2 just based on the position he plays. Clarke is combative but would need a yellow in 3 games and he's in and out the side at present (not out the realms of possibility for him to get those cards. Cargill would have to be unlucky to get 4 yellows in a row!

Just thinking it may play a part in team selection in the future
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:58 am

That just makes Reeds yellow on Saturday even more annoying.

Something as innocuous as that could end up impacting us.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:32 am

Cards for dissent really do my head in, although Reeds was for a 'foul' had he not spent a for 5 minutes chipping at the ref earlier in the game he might have avoided the card he got.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 am

Wouldn't mind seeing Reeds Yellow again, maybe I'm blinded by bias but if I remember correctly their player literally threw his arms around Reeds neck and then wrestled him to the ground?? Probably one of the most baffling cards I've ever seen given
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:07 am

I thought it was a yellow the other way round.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:09 am

Excellent report as always Martin. For the first goal, did anyone else notice the incredible work Akins put in. He initially won the ball not far from our own corner flag (admittedly after their player kept it in), carried it forward to almost half way before playing a good ball to Reed and was actually in the box waiting for the cross to come in when Swan scored. A small passage of play that perfectly sums up the work rate of Akins. I only noticed it after watching the goals back because the cross from Williams and header from Swan were so good.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:15 am

Quinn's crafty trip on Smith in the build up to the Salford goal is worth checking out on the highlights. It may have backfired, in that Luanda knew that he had to go it alone, but it shows how Quinn is always thinking ahead.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:25 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:Excellent report as always Martin. For the first goal, did anyone else notice the incredible work Akins put in. He initially won the ball not far from our own corner flag (admittedly after their player kept it in), carried it forward to almost half way before playing a good ball to Reed and was actually in the box waiting for the cross to come in when Swan scored. A small passage of play that perfectly sums up the work rate of Akins. I only noticed it after watching the goals back because the cross from Williams and header from Swan were so good.

I spotted this at the time, and made sure I pointed it out to the regular Akins 'detractors' sat behind me. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:29 am

Bradders wrote:Quinn's crafty trip on Smith in the build up to the Salford goal is worth checking out on the highlights. It may have backfired, in that Luanda knew that he had to go it alone, but it shows how Quinn is always thinking ahead.

Yes I saw that, it was pointed out elsewhere too. I am going to include in my detailed report.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:52 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:Excellent report as always Martin. For the first goal, did anyone else notice the incredible work Akins put in. He initially won the ball not far from our own corner flag (admittedly after their player kept it in), carried it forward to almost half way before playing a good ball to Reed and was actually in the box waiting for the cross to come in when Swan scored. A small passage of play that perfectly sums up the work rate of Akins. I only noticed it after watching the goals back because the cross from Williams and header from Swan were so good.

That was great from Lucas. He had many great moments on Saturday. I think his problem in terms of the detractors is that the type of player he is, he can pull the ball 50 yards out of the sky, turn a defender, and then give away a two yard pass. We know he is a frustrating watch at times, but he was too much for the Salford defenders on Saturday. Well played, Lucas.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 am

Dave Wayne wrote:

I spotted this at the time, and made sure I pointed it out to the regular Akins 'detractors' sat behind me. ;)

So did I after one them said that Akins and Lewis were having shockers
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:09 pm

You do wonder what game some watch, Akins was outstanding on Saturday. I gave him 9.5 on Eggys ratings, I gave Quinn 10, it was a masterclass of quality and experience from them both..
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:43 pm

The pass from Reed to Williams in the build up to Swan's goal was fabulous. Some folk might say it was too far in front of him, but it made Williams do only one thing and that was cross it first time.

It reminded me of the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the 1970 world cup final in so much it gave Williams the only option of crossing the ball first time, much like the Carlos Alberto goal scoring shot.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:45 pm

So Bowery is Cafu and Williams is Alberto. Any others?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:47 pm

part time pete wrote:The pass from Reed to Williams in the build up to Swan's goal was fabulous. Some folk might say it was too far in front of him, but it made Williams do only one thing and that was cross it first time.

It reminded me of the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the 1970 world cup final in so much it gave Williams the only option of crossing the ball first time, much like the Carlos Alberto goal scoring shot.

When Reed played that pass I said 'give him a chance!' :lol:

I can't work out if Williams cross took a slight deflection.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:15 pm

Rob wrote:You do wonder what game some watch, Akins was outstanding on Saturday. I gave him 9.5 on Eggys ratings, I gave Quinn 10, it was a masterclass of quality and experience from them both..

Yes, both showing why they are crucial players. I had Quinn as man of the match, closely followed by Akins. Even when he's not quite at his best, Akins is a nightmare for any opposition defence.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:07 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:You do wonder what game some watch, Akins was outstanding on Saturday. I gave him 9.5 on Eggys ratings, I gave Quinn 10, it was a masterclass of quality and experience from them both..

Yes, both showing why they are crucial players. I had Quinn as man of the match, closely followed by Akins. Even when he's not quite at his best, Akins is a nightmare for any opposition defence.

I'm not a great fan of Akins but will fully agree that he played well on Saturday but how can you possibly give him 9.5 when he directed one header embarrassingly wide, one sitter on a plate straight at the goalkeeper, one shot high and wide from 15 yards and fell over his feet twice in two separate attacks that brought them to a disappointing stop. Some of his control and touches were excellent and he held up the ball brilliantly but come on.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:05 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Bradders wrote:

I'm not a great fan of Akins but will fully agree that he played well on Saturday but how can you possibly give him 9.5 when he directed one header embarrassingly wide, one sitter on a plate straight at the goalkeeper, one shot high and wide from 15 yards and fell over his feet twice in two separate attacks that brought them to a disappointing stop. Some of his control and touches were excellent and he held up the ball brilliantly but come on.

So firstly you answered your own question with your first few words, secondly you do know we play in Div 4? If you can't see what Akins brings to our side then perhaps Rugby is more your thing Chris ;)

When you consider Akins and Bowery have played almost every game this season isn't it amazing we're top with the best attacking and defensive record in the division .......... if you believed some of the guff on here you'd think we'd been playing with 9 men all season!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:24 pm

Wow, that's generous. I hardly ever give anyone above an 8.5.

Ya big softy.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Sneag wrote:

Ya big softy.

Might as well not have a 9 and 10 then ;)

I suspect there are some who gave Akins and Bowery a 4 and do so every week!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:11 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing Reeds Yellow again, maybe I'm blinded by bias but if I remember correctly their player literally threw his arms around Reeds neck and then wrestled him to the ground?? Probably one of the most baffling cards I've ever seen given

I thought that N’Mai had dispossessed Reed who then fouled N’Mai before N’Mai grabbed him and wrestled him to the floor. A yellow for the initial foul would have been harsh given the position on the pitch and N’Mai should have been booked too.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:39 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Ya big softy.

Might as well not have a 9 and 10 then ;)

I suspect there are some who gave Akins and Bowery a 4 and do so every week!

I cracked & gave Hiram a 10 after Harrogate, but by rights I should have knock half a point off for the yellow card. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:51 pm

Rob wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Bradders wrote:

So firstly you answered your own question with your first few words, secondly you do know we play in Div 4? If you can't see what Akins brings to our side then perhaps Rugby is more your thing Chris ;)

When you consider Akins and Bowery have played almost every game this season isn't it amazing we're top with the best attacking and defensive record in the division .......... if you believed some of the guff on here you'd think we'd been playing with 9 men all season!

My query was how he could get 9.5 when there were all those quite stark issues not that he was a 4 or a 5. If you're only going to detract 0.5 for them then surely it defeats the whole concept of 10 being perfect Rob? That's all I'm saying, not that he was rubbish. I did say he played well.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:58 pm

It's a subjective rating and I've never done it like Martin. Akins was involved in a goal, got a player sent off for a professional foul and scored a great goal. His overall play was outstanding. Only reason I didn't give him a 10 was I felt Quinn shaded MOM. If you only gave a 10 for a faultless performance you'd never, ever give a 10.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum