{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas Akins Chant

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lucas Akins Chant

Postby Pitkin » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Pitkin wrote:
yaxhamstag wrote:
five to three wrote:Five pages on this is enough. I have emailed the club.

:clap: Good for you. I can’t get to games these days so have not heard the chant, but it sounds disgusting. It’s amazing that nothing has been done to date on this. Be interesting to see how the club reacts.

As I said........Zilch.....

Except Alan the drone will wheel his usual patter out on Sat

well at least he is doing something, its better than nothing...

I noticed the song was sung twice on Saturday and not many joined in to be fair. Saying that, we were quite quiet in general on Saturday.

When you say he's doing something he is reading from a prepared script....and whilst i don't expect him to go all Martin Luther King on us, we need something that stands out, even though the message is lost after a while.
There were 2 or 3 started it behind us on Sat, but no one joined in thankfully.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 pm

Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song

I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.

Of course you did.

Hasn't anyone noticed that whenever Lucas scores he always celebrates on the far side of the stadium at the corner flag? Not once have I ever seen him run towards the west stand to celebrate one of his goals. That should tell you enough about how he feels about it. Honestly there's some really thick people around these days who still think this is acceptable. I would be 100% behind the club banning anyone singing this song (or any other with racial undertones in it) and have even said to my son who is 15 that if I ever hear him or find out he has sung that song I will take him to the police myself. I have explained to him the blatant racism in the song and how stereotypical it is and that it's simply not ok. There's no wonder Lucas doesn't celebrate goals he scores for us. I used to do a lot of Burton Albion games & he always celebrated goals for them. Seriously pisses me off does racism.

The club should print out a leaflet and hand them out to Q block explaining that anyone who sings it will be banned, it's the only way these kids will understand what they are doing. I'll bet my life they sing it again tomorrow night.

Couldn’t be more wrong :lol:
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:32 pm

Didn't hear anything sung today when Lucas scored a good goal, so progress hopefully...
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:34 pm

1970Stag wrote:Didn't hear anything sung today when Lucas scored a good goal, so progress hopefully...

They sang 1 rendition up in q block but it was drowned out pretty quickly.

Slight progress, still need more change
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:49 pm

Yep the stewards should do something? But glad it was drowned out!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:42 pm

There was even a statement on the scoreboard before the game about abusive chanting.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am

part time pete wrote:There was even a statement on the scoreboard before the game about abusive chanting.

Yes, that's a positive step. The club are aware of the conversations and its a tricky one, but something at least.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 am

PostmanPat wrote:
Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song

I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.

Of course you did.

Hasn't anyone noticed that whenever Lucas scores he always celebrates on the far side of the stadium at the corner flag? Not once have I ever seen him run towards the west stand to celebrate one of his goals. That should tell you enough about how he feels about it. Honestly there's some really thick people around these days who still think this is acceptable. I would be 100% behind the club banning anyone singing this song (or any other with racial undertones in it) and have even said to my son who is 15 that if I ever hear him or find out he has sung that song I will take him to the police myself. I have explained to him the blatant racism in the song and how stereotypical it is and that it's simply not ok. There's no wonder Lucas doesn't celebrate goals he scores for us. I used to do a lot of Burton Albion games & he always celebrated goals for them. Seriously pisses me off does racism.

The club should print out a leaflet and hand them out to Q block explaining that anyone who sings it will be banned, it's the only way these kids will understand what they are doing. I'll bet my life they sing it again tomorrow night.

:roll: Taken 7 months...

They did sing it again after the goal and the drummer started it again.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:57 am

Sat in IGL and two women behind me merrily singing along to it, word for word......we do have a large contingent of compete morons
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am

part time pete wrote:There was even a statement on the scoreboard before the game about abusive chanting.

But the issue is, having read the Facebook post and this thread, there are a sizeable minority who don't believe that it is abusive, offensive or in any way wrong.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:02 am

Between this and proud stags. Cannot believe what I'm reading at the moment
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:22 am

At least it is in the open and we know how people are thinking. The vast majority don't have a problem and the others with more traditional views know they are in the minority which is one of the reasons that they are mewling and puking
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:57 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:

But the issue is, having read the Facebook post and this thread, there are a sizeable minority who don't believe that it is abusive, offensive or in any way wrong.

There are some complete wallops on the Facebook group.
Hard of thinking doesn’t come into it.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:34 pm

Might sound harsh but there’s one person who starts it. The police should warn him not to start drumming the song to start with then no one else CAN join in with it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:39 pm

Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:

Of course you did.

Shoot the drummer ?
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:44 pm

jpstags wrote:
Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.

Of course you did.

Shoot the drummer ?

Just telling him to stop doing it would suffice thus far.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:59 pm

Seeing as the Directors contributed to the drum appeal surely a bit of common-sense on the drummers part personally? It’s the club that will get fined
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 pm

Does the drummer know there is a problem ?

Does he post on here?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum