{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Walsall scorefred sponsored by Stirk it to 'em

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Walsall scorefred sponsored by Stirk it to 'em

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:37 pm

3 things to take out of yesterday.
One, Swan wouldn't have scored if he had stayed on till midnight. Two, Bowery was exposed as the right back he isn't, and three, our play from dead ball situations, free kicks and corners, has not improved one iota all season..
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
broomo wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:This is a discussion forum of differing opinions so it always makes me smile on a Sunday morning when the usual suspects have a mini fit over the alternative thoughts of others. In my opinion the players put in loads of effort so they had a good send off, but sadly I think Nigel had an off day. He needs to be at the top of his game too if we are to achieve promotion

Perhaps if those who offered their different opinion were a bit more balanced they wouldn't face others having a mini fit.

For example there are at least 4 posters suddenly back who couldn't be bothered to make one comment on the record equalling 9-2 v Harrogate.

Not one comment on the brilliant 4-0 away win at FGR and not even one comment on the battling win in the local derby v Notts.

There is another who isn't usually in the same bracket who only made one comment on each of those threads yet by Sunday morning has posted at least a dozen times about how wrong yesterday was.

What is that all about?

Opinions eh? Got to love them.
Yep they obviously feel very strongly about it. That person also posted that JR should be giving NC a new and improved contract after the Harrogate win. It was posted on another thread so you may have missed it.

I didn't miss it. That's why I posted about one who isn't usually in the same bracket as others. I've never seen you as one of the strange ones.

I still think you're making more out of it than needs to be. We lost narrowly and some would say harshly away from home to a team who have beaten every top 6 team they've played at home.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Costastag wrote:
Rob wrote:After he missed his 5th great chance I lost faith that he was "bound to get one in a minute" Darren, as clearly did the manager.

Blinkered view oh dear

Oh the irony :lol:

Gazza, you need to watch the game again if you think Swan only had 3 chances. I don't disagree with most of what you've said though, it will be interesting to see if he starts on Sat, my money is on not.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Rob wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Swan was the best player on the pitch Rob and only one who looked like scoring. Granted he needs to at least test the keeper but he got into those positions in the first place.

Swan going off showed yesterday. We lost his pressing edge when he went off ans it totally slowed our forward play. He capitalised on and cuased quite a few mistakes in the walsall defence yesterday

I like Swan and agreed with Clough bringing him back, but how can he possibly be the best player on the pitch when he missed 3 one on one's, twice not even hitting the target? He had other good chances too, he should have converted some of them, that's his job. Yes his overall game was good, but his finishing was dire and it cost us.

Who played better then? Because no one did
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:50 pm

Quinn was my MOM, by a distance. As you say, there weren't many other contenders.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:52 pm

Rob wrote:
Costastag wrote:
Rob wrote:After he missed his 5th great chance I lost faith that he was "bound to get one in a minute" Darren, as clearly did the manager.

Blinkered view oh dear

Gazza, you need to watch the game again if you think Swan only had 3 chances. I don't disagree with most of what you've said though, it will be interesting to see if he starts on Sat, my money is on not.

what were the other 2? Who scored has him down for 3 shots as well. Having said that they also rated Bowery(6.9) higher than Fint (6.7) and Cargill (6.6) Bowery was 0.1 point off Brunt (7.0) so take that as you will.

Or are we talking about times he received the ball and was dispossessed? ~Who scored have swan as being dispossessed 0 time. Akins twice.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 pm

How long do you keep a striker on, who's missed a least three gilt edged chances when you've got two equally as good on the bench? For me he was given too much time and the others too little.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 pm

Swan looked very lively but as stated earlier he simply has to put one of his glorious 2 chances away.

Having said that both Quinn and Flint missed brilliant chances as well. The one laid back to Quinn is an absolute sitter that he's tried to sidefoot first time with his left and the Flint chance came to him probably unexpected but both should have scored.

On another day we win that game comfortably 4 or 5-2 even with the defensive errors.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:58 pm

He ‘only’ had 3 chances. One on one which he dragged wide of the far post, square ball from Quinn saved by keeper and last one where he was played in by Quinn and got away from defender and shot wide.

He continues to get into positions and is a constant threat in open play, the way Akins isn’t. His finishing was poor on the day but he’s missed two or three chances in the FGR and Harrogate game before scoring.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:01 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:How long do you keep a striker on, who's missed a least three gilt edged chances when you've got two equally as good on the bench? For me he was given too much time and the others too little.

gilt edged? one a shot from the left of the area, another from the right and another drew a save from the keeper who closed him down. What more can he do?

I'd take off the player who got dispossessed twice and had one shot on goal that was from a similar position to Swan's shot on target.

I'd much rather have a striker not scoring 3 shots because he's in a decent enough position as opposed to one that barely shoots.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:28 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Blinkered view oh dear

what were the other 2? Who scored has him down for 3 shots as well. Having said that they also rated Bowery(6.9) higher than Fint (6.7) and Cargill (6.6) Bowery was 0.1 point off Brunt (7.0) so take that as you will.

Or are we talking about times he received the ball and was dispossessed? ~Who scored have swan as being dispossessed 0 time. Akins twice.

To be honest I think one of the chances I thought was Swan was Akins :lol: We did have posts in our way!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:38 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Blinkered view oh dear

To be honest I think one of the chances I thought was Swan was Akins :lol: We did have posts in our way!

Faor enough.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:06 pm

Mansfield are not the only team who struggled defending set pieces yesterday. Stockport County conceded 3 goals from set pieces against Tranmere Rovers. 6 of the 7 goals they have conceded this week have been from set pieces (3 x corners and 3 x free kicks) and five of the goals were scored by opposition centre halfs.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:25 pm

broomo wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
broomo wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:This is a discussion forum of differing opinions so it always makes me smile on a Sunday morning when the usual suspects have a mini fit over the alternative thoughts of others. In my opinion the players put in loads of effort so they had a good send off, but sadly I think Nigel had an off day. He needs to be at the top of his game too if we are to achieve promotion

Perhaps if those who offered their different opinion were a bit more balanced they wouldn't face others having a mini fit.

For example there are at least 4 posters suddenly back who couldn't be bothered to make one comment on the record equalling 9-2 v Harrogate.

Not one comment on the brilliant 4-0 away win at FGR and not even one comment on the battling win in the local derby v Notts.
A strange one
There is another who isn't usually in the same bracket who only made one comment on each of those threads yet by Sunday morning has posted at least a dozen times about how wrong yesterday was.

What is that all about?

Opinions eh? Got to love them.
Yep they obviously feel very strongly about it. That person also posted that JR should be giving NC a new and improved contract after the Harrogate win. It was posted on another thread so you may have missed it.

I didn't miss it. That's why I posted about one who isn't usually in the same bracket as others. I've never seen you as one of the strange ones.

I still think you're making more out of it than needs to be. We lost narrowly and some would say harshly away from home to a team who have beaten every top 6 team they've played at home.

A strange one thats great almost an accolade
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Progress by the club is defined by many aspects i was very disappointed by the Academy loss to Grimsby a game i thought they would win but some say you learn more by losing a game.
I find that hard to agree with, but still having a good season.
I find it hard when Mansfield lose and have to find my love of football again and have to watch and read all the reports and find a positive..
Not gaining a point was frustrating and a poor show and it all came down to basics missing chances and poor defending but that is football , a refs decision and luck also plays a part.
Rob gave a good account of the game and i go with that.
We have a lot of teams better than Walsall to play and as a club we can only do our best, so we are coming to a roller coaster ride going up and coming down.
Calling the Manager and players is a low shot at the club who all can see a lot of changes needed to move the club forward.
Most of us are enjoying our match days and have more good days than bad., and are wise enough to know losing is part of football.
Other fans do not go to a match to watch their team lose,
Clough will get a special award this season as the Manager who picks the wrong team and gets a club into a position that most fans would love to be in.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:05 pm

One thing that's worth mentioning is that if we do go up this year, we'll have done it the hard way, as imo the league is exceptionally strong this year.

Walsall are in 16th, and have players like Jamille Matt who gave Flint a bit of a torrid time, FGR even further down the table were the better side for large parts of last week, so these sorts of results will happen. We next face Salford who are 19th, but have a very decent squad.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:16 pm

Wrexham are getting the benefit of the referee decisions at the moment. There was a blatant handball in the area by James McLean from a Joe Kizzi cross against Sutton United on Tuesday night which was not given as a penalty and David McGoldrick had a perfectly good equaliser fpr Notts County disallowed for handball yesterday.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 pm

Whoscored gave MOM to Stephen Quinn (7.8) followed by George Maris (7.1), and Lewis Brunt (7.0). Aden Flint was 4th top rated on 6.9 and Jordan Bowery was fifth top rated on 6.8.

Fotmob gave MOM to Stephen Quinn (8.2) followed by George Maris (7.1) and Will Swan (6.9). Jordan Bowery was fourth top rated on 6.8.

Fotmob xG: 1.39-1.73
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:37 am

Not that it’s of too much importance, but anyone else think the official 1637 away attendance seemed a bit low?

We club stated we had sold 1590 after the second batch had gone, so that would have meant only 47 more sales from ‘batch 3’ and pay on the day. Stagstickets tally was over 1900 on the count.

I don’t know if anyone else had this but we entered through a makeshift turnstile and the ticket wasn’t scanned or ripped for our group, in fact it wasn’t even looked at, just searched and in we went.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 am

BH_Stag wrote:Not that it’s of too much importance, but anyone else think the official 1637 away attendance seemed a bit low?

We club stated we had sold 1590 after the second batch had gone, so that would have meant only 47 more sales from ‘batch 3’ and pay on the day. Stagstickets tally was over 1900 on the count.

I don’t know if anyone else had this but we entered through a makeshift turnstile and the ticket wasn’t scanned or ripped for our group, in fact it wasn’t even looked at, just searched and in we went.

yes, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42495
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:10 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Not that it’s of too much importance, but anyone else think the official 1637 away attendance seemed a bit low?

Yes 3 of us were allowed through by the steward. He just ripped off the stubs on our tickets and we walked straight in.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:31 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:How long do you keep a striker on, who's missed a least three gilt edged chances when you've got two equally as good on the bench? For me he was given too much time and the others too little.

gilt edged? one a shot from the left of the area, another from the right and another drew a save from the keeper who closed him down. What more can he do?

I'd take off the player who got dispossessed twice and had one shot on goal that was from a similar position to Swan's shot on target.

I'd much rather have a striker not scoring 3 shots because he's in a decent enough position as opposed to one that barely shoots.

Me too but you couldn’t whine then
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm

Anyone know why their goalie celebrated like they’d won the World Cup on Saturday?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Anyone know why their goalie celebrated like they’d won the World Cup on Saturday?

it was the keeper Smith and scorer of the winner Adegboyega who celebrated most. Probably because they played the biggest part, along with Matt, who's a bit more of an experienced pro.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Anyone know why their goalie celebrated like they’d won the World Cup on Saturday?

it was the keeper Smith and scorer of the winner Adegboyega who celebrated most. Probably because they played the biggest part, along with Matt, who's a bit more of an experienced pro.

The guy who scored the winner after only 15 minutes of playing EFL football. He came on as sub at half time.
He is on loan from Norwich and is Irish born of Nigerian ancestry.

The goal keeper is only 22 and only played a handful of games after signing from Wolves last summer.

I would imagine both of these players were playing in their most important winning game in their lives.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum