{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The defence

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The defence

Postby broomo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 pm

We've got the joint best defensive record in the EFL alongside Leicester with 24 goals. Leicester have played one more game than us.

Only Arsenal who've conceded 22 but played 7 fewer games and Liverpool who have conceded 23 but played 6 fewer games have conceded fewer goals in the entire top 4 divisions.

That is quite simply remarkable.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Re: The defense

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:32 pm

UTFS
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:42 pm

broomo wrote:We've got the joint best defensive record in the EFL alongside Leicester with 24 goals. Leicester have played one more game than us.

Only Arsenal who've conceded 22 but played 7 fewer games and Liverpool who have conceded 23 but played 6 fewer games have conceded fewer goals in the entire top 4 divisions.

It's phenomenal. We've looked solid, bodies on the line, blocks etc.

Was confused by some comments today as if it wasn't for the defence we'd have lost that.

Brunt didn't lose a header... Flint was Flint, bowery was solid today and again justified his place.

Plenty of competition when macca and Cargill are fully fit
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:45 pm

broomo wrote:We've got the joint best defensive record in the EFL alongside Leicester with 24 goals. Leicester have played one more game than us.

It is remarkable, it's almost like we've signed some quality centre backs ;)

The defence has made all the difference this season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:52 pm

The super critical (me, never) could say had he done this in the first 2 seasons instead of playing forwards in defence and the like we could’ve resolved this issue earlier, amazing what happens when you play defenders in defence.

However, for this defence to do what it has done with 2 potential starters out for long terms is also remarkable, since following us regularly since the mid 90s, i’d challenge anyone to provide a better defensive option than flint….
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:56 pm

I think the fact we’ve been able to call on someone of the quality of George Williams has been great. Flint and Brunt have been awesome not to mention Cargill.

And a special call out to JB9 who has been awesome. His conversion to a defender is a Clough masterstroke. He’s not a square peg anymore in my view- his move to defence will extend his career.

Nearly forgot - Christy Pym. Criticised on here earlier in the year but must be close to the best keeper in League2.

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:54 pm

Factor in Hewitt and Kilgour to come back as well and we have a hell of a squad for next season as well!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ST4GS » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:00 pm

Ralphy wrote:Factor in Hewitt and Kilgour to come back as well and we have a hell of a squad for next season as well!!
Kilgour is brilliant but will be behind Flint. Dont think Flint and Kilgour will play together. Need big man and pace. Hewitt only gets in as a wing back. What great options.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:28 pm

I see no reason why Flint and Kilgour would not work.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 pm

Conker wrote:I see no reason why Flint and Kilgour would not work.
Just got a feeling both lack pace and if we are in league 1 Clough might need a fast centre half to partner Flint. Just my opinion though.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:38 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Factor in Hewitt and Kilgour to come back as well and we have a hell of a squad for next season as well!!
Kilgour is brilliant but will be behind Flint. Dont think Flint and Kilgour will play together. Need big man and pace. Hewitt only gets in as a wing back. What great options.

I think Kilgour’s more than mobile enough to partner Flint. He’s a serious athlete.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:55 pm

I think next year, if in League One, we'll need more of a ball-playing CB who can step up with it. Not sure Kilgour is that player, but it will be difficult to not involve him, given his many attributes. Flint and Brunt again if we can get him.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:25 pm

Am I missing something about Kilgours pace? I can't remember him getting beat for pace many times, he reads the game really well that he doesn't get caught out anyway. Him and Flint would be brilliant together and more than good enough in League One.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:56 pm

A great clean sheet for the defence today although I was never fully confident that would be the case. FGR had enough pressure and chances to score a goal.

The main difference in our defence from the last two seasons is Aden Flint. The bloke is awesome. He's a Championship defender playing in League 2 and one of the best centre halfs I've seen play for the Stags. He motivates the rest of the defence to raise their game.

We now have 12 clean sheets in the league and we need 20 to equal our record which is when we won Division 4 in 1974-1975 and Division 3 in 1976-1977 (Rodney, Rodney Arnold!!)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:A great clean sheet for the defence today although I was never fully confident that would be the case. FGR had enough pressure and chances to score a goal.

The main difference in our defence from the last two seasons is Aden Flint. The bloke is awesome. He's a Championship defender playing in League 2 and one of the best centre halfs I've seen play for the Stags. He motivates the rest of the defence to raise their game.

We now have 12 clean sheets in the league and we need 20 to equal our record which is when we won Division 4 in 1974-1975 and Division 3 in 1976-1977 (Rodney, Rodney Arnold!!)

Agree about Aden Flint. What a signing he is. You just have to watch him and see what he’s about. Committed to the cause and encouraging with his team mates.
Hewitt should walk back in to right back and we will be a better team with him back.
Big Alfie might struggle to get back into the team but what a back up
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:22 am

I would say Kilgour isn't that dissimilar to Cargill who has more than capably partnered Flint this season. Think we'll have to wait and see what level both players come back at though. It is more than possible they will take some time to get back to their best.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:59 am

I don’t want to be that person but isn’t it defence?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:10 am

As someone has alluded above Flint is just the best thing to have happened to us defensively for decades. He is a absolute collosus of a defender and watching him warm up makes me feel so glad he plays for us.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:24 am

I just hope that Alfie comes back as the player we all know he is.
The injury he has sustatined is one of the worst to come back from.
Thankfully having the squad we have, it allows him the time to gradually build himself back up and not have to be thrown in too soon.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:58 am

Dan wrote:I don’t want to be that person but isn’t it defence?

Yes it should.

Shameful use of the American spell check/auto correct.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:A great clean sheet for the defence today although I was never fully confident that would be the case. FGR had enough pressure and chances to score a goal.

We could also be on course to beat our record of only 38 league goals conceded in 1984/85 (Kevin, Kevin Hitchcock :D ).
As someone said above, look what happens when we sign some quality centre backs.
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am

Nobody’s mentioned Johnson.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The defence

Postby WorthingStag » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am

Every success is built on defence and I like to think that the whole team should take credit for the goals against column. When Kilgour was injured at Doncaster in August I knew that we’d miss him, but Flint, Cargill, Bowery, Brunt and MacDonald, have all been immense.
Let’s not forget Christy too ….
What a season it’s been so far
COYS
WorthingStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 am

ST4GS wrote:

Hewitt only gets in as a Wing back ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:11 am

ParisStag wrote:I think next year, if in League One, we'll need more of a ball-playing CB who can step up with it. Not sure Kilgour is that player, but it will be difficult to not involve him, given his many attributes. Flint and Brunt again if we can get him.

I think Brunt is a classy defender. Yes he makes mistakes but his overall contribution has been massively positive.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum