{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The defence

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The defence

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:55 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Can't understand why bowery played left back.cargill and McLaughlin better there.bowery doesn't do much wrong but he doesn't get any crosses in.plays the easy ball too much.

Answered your own question.

He was excellent again yesterday, especially second half where he covered one very dangerous moment superbly for the centre backs with the score at 1-0. He won't get praise from the usual suspects, but I think we are all used to that now :lol:

I noticed he stays back on corners as NC knows he's quick and can get there to snuff out any danger if the opposition break. But some people don't seem to be able to see it. Nice to see you briefly yesterday mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 am

He'll never get praise because too many believe we have better options.

Whilst that may be true, that shouldn't impact the review of how he has played this season. Some questionable defending at times of course but far less costly errors than Brunt. He's a league 2 player after all

Its FACT bowery has played at full back for the vast majority of the season, part of a defence that has conceded so few goals, that has been applauded for how resiliant it is, yet hes the one that still gets questioned week in week out.

He still needs to lose his place in the team first and foremost when it comes to having a fully fit squad to choose from. He far from deserves to lose his place in the team as it stands.

I applauded him from moving position and putting in a right shift for Mansfield week in week out.

He clearly loves it here, and will do what it takes to get us promoted.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:He'll never get praise because too many believe we have better options.

Whilst that may be true, that shouldn't impact the review of how he has played this season. Some questionable defending at times of course but far less costly errors than Brunt. He's a league 2 player after all

Its FACT bowery has played at full back for the vast majority of the season, part of a defence that has conceded so few goals, that has been applauded for how resiliant it is, yet hes the one that still gets questioned week in week out.

He still needs to lose his place in the team first and foremost when it comes to having a fully fit squad to choose from. He far from deserves to lose his place in the team as it stands.

I applauded him from moving position and putting in a right shift for Mansfield week in week out.

I'm the opposite and cringe each time JB is mooted as an alternative up front but as a defender he's been absolutely brilliant. The thing that gets me is his adaptability and speed of learning regarding who he's playing against. He might get a hard time in tge first 5 or 10 minutes but he works it out so quickly, and more often or not, they never get another look in. Excellent JB Excellent.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:He'll never get praise because too many believe we have better options.

I'm the opposite and cringe each time JB is mooted as an alternative up front but as a defender he's been absolutely brilliant. The thing that gets me is his adaptability and speed of learning regarding who he's playing against. He might get a hard time in tge first 5 or 10 minutes but he works it out so quickly, and more often or not, they never get another look in. Excellent JB Excellent.

Did you miss his goal at Salford?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:30 am

Dan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Did you miss his goal at Salford?!

JB's strike rate this season when he's playing up front is 1 goal every 2 games. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:20 pm

If one day Jordan Bowery walked on water, some would say it was because he couldn't swim.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 pm

He's proved them wrong week after week after week but they are so entrenched in their views that no matter how well he plays they won't acknowledge and will continue to call for him to be dropped, which is utterly outrageous. He's had a great season and has improved so much at full back it's unbelievable really. I thought he was superb on Saturday, at RB and LB!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:51 pm

He’s such an important player.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:09 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:He’s such an important player.

Not a spectacular player, but key to our success so far. He's hard working, reads the game brilliantly, strong, quick and decisive, and makes very few bad decisions. A proper team player as well, with a great temperament.

Although he's completely comfortable at full back, he's guaranteed to do his uncomplaining best if moved elsewhere.

Any team at this level would sign him in a heartbeat if they had the chance.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:14 pm

Bradders wrote:

Not a spectacular player, but key to our success so far. He's hard working, reads the game brilliantly, strong, quick and decisive, and makes very few bad decisions. A proper team player as well, with a great temperament.

Although he's completely comfortable at full back, he's guaranteed to do his uncomplaining best if moved elsewhere.

Couldn’t agree more with that.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:31 pm

Bradders wrote:

Can't and won't disagree with that, Playing alongside a player of Flint's quality has helped him immensely.

He had a good game Saturday, and so did the 15 other players who played that game. Well, Lewis, Boateng and McLaughlin only appeared after the 80th minute.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:21 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Can't and won't disagree with that, Playing alongside a player of Flint's quality has helped him immensely.

He had a good game Saturday, and so did the 15 other players who played that game. Well, Lewis, Boateng and McLaughlin only appeared after the 80th minute.

Tbf, Flint’s helped everyone in defence, massively…what a signing!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:46 pm

Flint best signing in league 2 .Player of the season for me so far.It will be interesting when Hewitt gets fit.He will have to be patient especially when Johnson is fit. We have 3 excellent right backs in Hewitt Johnson and Williams.Williams won MKDons players player of the season.Don't mind who Clough selects they are all good.Bowery and Akins can also play in that position too.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Vantage007 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Put simply It's such a great squad of players we have. What I don't want to happen is that we play Hewitt too soon and he gets injured again. We've got this far without him this season so is it worth the risk?
Following MTFC since 1967!
Vantage007
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:04 pm

Vantage007 wrote:Put simply It's such a great squad of players we have. What I don't want to happen is that we play Hewitt too soon and he gets injured again. We've got this far without him this season so is it worth the risk?

Nope, thanks to how superbly JB has done we don't have to rush him back. The grudging praise from Gazza and Geoff is so disrespectful and just wrong, you both clearly are predisposed. I'm glad he keeps proving you both (and a couple of others) wrong.

Gazza, it's bizarre to say 15 players played as well as JB on Saturday, that's just utter nonsense. For example, Maris os my favourite Stags player, yet I thought he was well below par, a couple of others were too and even Nichols was about to be rightly subbed before his great goal. Its all a bit sad, as Sneag said, has he nicked your car?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Vantage007 wrote:Put simply It's such a great squad of players we have. What I don't want to happen is that we play Hewitt too soon and he gets injured again. We've got this far without him this season so is it worth the risk?

Nope, thanks to how superbly JB has done we don't have to rush him back. The grudging praise from Gazza and Geoff is so disrespectful and just wrong, you both clearly are predisposed. I'm glad he keeps proving you both (and a couple of others) wrong.

Gazza, it's bizarre to say 15 players played as well as JB on Saturday, that's just utter nonsense. For example, Maris is my favourite Stags player, yet I thought he was well below par, a couple of others were too and even Nichols was about to be rightly subbed before his great goal. Its all a bit sad, as Sneag said, has he nicked
your car?

I love this debate, people stating he is no where near as good as the other two doesn't mean Gaz myself and others hate him. We appreciate the job he has done but because we don't think he is the second coming of Cafu we aren't allowed to comment?
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 pm

Who said he is the 2nd coming of Cafu? More nonsense. Its clearly disingenuous to claim Bowery was no better than anyone else on Saturday. Furthermore, you, Geoff and Gazza have spent the whole season claiming JB isn't good enough at full back and you rarely give him the credit he truly deserves. He's making you look a bit foolish.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:42 pm

Rob wrote:

Gazza, it's bizarre to say 15 players played as well as JB on Saturday, that's just utter nonsense. For example, Maris os my favourite Stags player, yet I thought he was well below par, a couple of others were too and even Nichols was about to be rightly subbed before his great goal. Its all a bit sad, as Sneag said, has he nicked your car?

I didn't say 15 other players played as well as Bowery just that 15 other also played well. There were no "bad" performances. It's just weird that I now seem to HAVE to say JB was amazing every game, otherwise it means I'm being "disrespectful". My point was others played well (some better than others but like I said no "bad"). Some didn't have the time really to be good or bad because they didn't have a lot of time to make a big impact. I don't think I've singled out any player particularly from Saturday's game.

I wouldn't have thought people would want my opinion on Bowery every game. Every time I mention a mistake I get ganged up on and when I say he's done well it either gets ignored or called disrespectful.

I had no qualms with him playing LB Macca has just returned and had more minutes than perhaps he should have to get back up to speed, Cargill caught that illness that's going round. MacDonald is out injured. Aaron Lewis is an option but he will be playing and training as a midfielder.

My list for RB though is Johnson, Williams and Bowery in 3rd. If Hewitt returns to the level he was before then he drops to 4th place. I'm sorry but we signed good fullbacks in the summer. Nobody at all has ever questioned his commitment to the side or willingness to do what he is asked of. He is one of those players who is just a model professional.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:54 pm

Macca is not a better full-back than Bowery. He is, arguably, a better wing-back. So, if our priority is keeping it tight at the back, Bowery plays. I imagine that's also why Williams was picked for the County match. He's not a wing-back, but he's as good a full-back as we've got on the books. I'm not convinced that Hewitt would necessarily automatically start; again, he's probably our best wing-back, but is that what we need? We're scoring pretty freely with no wing-backs at the moment, and keeping clean sheets at the same time. I get the impression that NC's approach to most matches is to keep it tight, pinch the lead, frustrate the opposition, then go for the throat. When that works, the time to throw on the wing-backs is when you're a couple of goals in front.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 pm

We have one of the best back lines in league 2 , on many occasions Clough says he is confident of playing any of them, so its decides on many issues
Each player has something to bring to the table and fitness form opposition and mentality plus who is in pole position.plays a part in team selection.
This is the same for midfield and attack.
Square pegs in round holes has dominated fans forum, having utility players are vital and Bowery proves it can work to great effect.
Perhaps this is why the old school stick to being critical. Akins=Bowery=Macca=Maris=Clarke-Brunt=Hewitt=Cargill=Lewis=Williams=DKD.
All can play more than one role
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:24 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:

I didn't say 15 other players played as well as Bowery just that 15 other also played well. There were no "bad" performances. It's just weird that I now seem to HAVE to say JB was amazing every game, otherwise it means I'm being "disrespectful". My point was others played well (some better than others but like I said no "bad"). Some didn't have the time really to be good or bad because they didn't have a lot of time to make a big impact. I don't think I've singled out any player particularly from Saturday's game.

I wouldn't have thought people would want my opinion on Bowery every game. Every time I mention a mistake I get ganged up on and when I say he's done well it either gets ignored or called disrespectful.

I had no qualms with him playing LB Macca has just returned and had more minutes than perhaps he should have to get back up to speed, Cargill caught that illness that's going round. MacDonald is out injured. Aaron Lewis is an option but he will be playing and training as a midfielder.

My list for RB though is Johnson, Williams and Bowery in 3rd. If Hewitt returns to the level he was before then he drops to 4th place. I'm sorry but we signed good fullbacks in the summer. Nobody at all has ever questioned his commitment to the side or willingness to do what he is asked of. He is one of those players who is just a model professional.

The problem with comparing Bowery to Williams or Johnson is they all have different attributes, Of the three Bowery is stronger, quicker and better in the air but is not a natural full back. Now the other two are of course far more experienced at full back, but JB has learnt quickly this season and for what he brings to the side I believe overall he is now equally as good as the other two, but not as good as Hewitt who is the best full back at the club. Williams is a very sold full back but will definitely struggle against pace, Johnson is a bit quicker, not bad going forwards and ideal to have as a back up for Hewitt when everyone is fit. Without Hewitt I have no issue with any of those three at RB but at the moment I think JB deserves to keep his place in the side and certainly does not deserve to have his place in the side questioned every week. Maybe I just don't think Johnson or Williams are the new Cafu :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:46 pm

I don't know if it's the trauma of watching Stags for 50 years but despite our amazing defensive record this season, I'm still having kittens when we defend a 1 goal lead & get proper heebee geebees whenever the opposition cross the halfway line. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby LMStag » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:09 pm

The other thing in Jordan's favour is the fact you can move him from where he's playing to pretty much any other position across the back and even elsewhere on the pitch if you haven't got a like for like replacement coming on as a sub. He's also got the ability to do this more than once in s game. Not many others give you that flexibility. It's saved us several times this season.
LMStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:30 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Gazza, it's bizarre to say 15 players played as well as JB on Saturday, that's just utter nonsense. For example, Maris is my favourite Stags player, yet I thought he was well below par, a couple of others were too and even Nichols was about to be rightly subbed before his great goal. Its all a bit sad, as Sneag said, has he nicked
your car?

I love this debate, people stating he is no where near as good as the other two doesn't mean Gaz myself and others hate him. We appreciate the job he has done but because we don't think he is the second coming of Cafu we aren't allowed to comment?

Gary Neville was better than Cafu...
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 pm

Sneag wrote:I don't know if it's the trauma of watching Stags for 50 years but despite our amazing defensive record this season, I'm still having kittens when we defend a 1 goal lead & get proper heebee geebees whenever the opposition cross the halfway line. :lol:

:lol: Snap! I sat there at Forest Green at 1-0 up talking myself into 1-1 being a good point as they were going to score :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum