{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags sign Tom Nichols

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags sign Tom Nichols

Postby broomo » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm

broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:25 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:on the not the top 20 podcast deadline day link Musings posted earlier they had the following to say about it.

What do they know :?

Almost certainly nothing, sat in their bedroom in their pants.

Haven’t they pretty much agreed with what you said? :lol:

Yeah, I'm in my bedroom in my pants too :lol:

Well not exactly, my point is not that we didn't need Nichols, I think he is an excellent signing, but that more important for us was a No 9 who I believe we have tried/still trying to sign.

:lol: Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I think that’s pretty much what they were saying ‘not an obvious need’. They’re trying to cover every club in as much depth as possible, so will be aware that we were chasing Gregory, so likely just a reaction to that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:27 pm

Apparently, Nichols is soon to be married to a girl who's family come from Birmingham, so geography may have been a slight factor.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:23 pm

To be honest I know little of him but welcome him openly
Hope it works out
He does not seem prolific but he does seem to put himself about on the pitch
Good luck here with us
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:02 am

Tom Nichols is a player who was always destined to play for Mansfield Town at some stage after Graham Coughlan and Nigel Clough have wanted to sign him in the past. He also continues our Bristol Rovers connections.

14th December 2019
Ipswich Town 1 Bristol Rovers 2
Graham Coughlan's Bristol Rovers go 4th in League 1 with a game in hand on Peterborough in third with goals from Tyler Smith and Tom Nichols. Playing for Bristol Rovers that day was Alfie Kilgour, Rollin Menayese, Ollie Clarke and Tom Nichols.

17th December 2019
Graham Coughlan appointed as Mansfield Town manager

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:14 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:14 am

Billy the fish wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:I wonder if it will be Akins and Nichols upfront and dkd just behind them.

Very similar players think they will stifle each others play if played together… Atkins and either Nichols or DkD for me unless we sign another ???

How are our own fans still calling him Atkins?
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:15 am

WoodhouseStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:I wonder if it will be Akins and Nichols upfront and dkd just behind them.

Very similar players think they will stifle each others play if played together… Atkins and either Nichols or DkD for me unless we sign another ???

Do you mean Aikens?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:35 am

zod wrote:
WoodhouseStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Do you mean Aikens?

or even Akins
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:37 am

It wouldn't surprise me if Cloughie starts him at centre back.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am

WoodhouseStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

I hear multiple old blokes every single week home and away call him Atkins. He’s played for us for two years now and has never had the letter T in his name!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:40 am

Welcome aboard Tom !!

I'm a bit more patient than most on here, I'll give you 15 minutes to score your first goal before I decide your fate :D :D
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:41 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
WoodhouseStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

I hear multiple old blokes every single week home and away call him Atkins. He’s played for us for two years now and has never had the letter T in his name!

Same with Will Swann, where's the extra n from? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:50 am

pemill wrote:
zod wrote:
WoodhouseStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Do you mean Aikens?

or even Akins

No, because that's the correct spelling of his name which people cannot grasp.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:50 am

On the face of it looks a similar player in style to Lucas, it will be an interesting team selection.
I sincerely hope Clough doesn't drop Swan, I think he could be the goal scorer we need.

For me the striking department needs freshening up so let Swan & Nicholls do the business up top. Obviously that will mean dropping somebody else to fit Akins in the team, Clough we never drop him, so RWB it is, arguably he best position. Alternatively rest him for a few weeks and give him chance to mentally & physically recharge.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:00 am

I always have problems talking about Louis (Lewis) Reed and Aaron (Arron) Lewis.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am

Clark, Marris, Aiekins and Swann to start?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:03 am

I honestly think this is a great signing for a January window. Welcome to MTFC, Tom.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:13 am

yes good luck Tom welcome to the mill
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:29 am

With regards to him not being clinical, I thought I'd compare his finishing rate to some other L2 strikers from last year (as I assume his form last year is the player we're trying to sign).
Andy Cook: 28 goals from 121 shots, 23%, 22 zG
Sam Hoskins: 22 goals from 132 shots, 17%, 15 xG
Kristian Dennis: 20 goals from 84 shots, 24%, 17xG
Omar Bogle: 17 goals from 111 shots, 15%, 18 xG
Luke Armstrong: 16 goals from 90 shots, 18%, 18 xG
Danny Johnson: 13 goals from 46 shots, 28%, 10 xG
Callum Henry, 12 goals from 105 shots, 11%, 11 xG
Rhys Oates: 4 goals from 43 shots, 9%, 6 xG
DKD: 7 goals from 46 shots, 15%, 6 xG
Akins: 8 goals from 69 shots, 12%, 12 xG
Paddy Madden: 10 goals from 78 shots, 13%, 11 xG
Matt Smith: 11 goals from 58 shots, 19%, 10 xG
Will Swan: 10 goals from 47 shots, 21%, 9 xG
Al-Hamadi: 10 goals from 38 shots, 26%, 8 xG
Nichols: 8 goals from 53 shots, 15%, 7 xG
First immediate problem is look how low all our players conversion rates are bar Swan, Nichols is an improvement on them. His rate is beaten by the out and out number 9s, which is to be expected as putting it in the net is their only job. Compared to other number 10s, he's quite clinical. Considering he played almost twice DKDs games in league 2, it's telling that he only had 7 more shots. He should get far more service in our team, hopefully leading to a similar effect to what we've seen with DKD (they've the same conversion rate, and, in the 3 seasons before this, have almost identical goal records).
He's also performed quite well against his xG, again suggests he's a pretty good finisher but he's not getting the chances other players are getting.
He also has the most assists of anyone on the list.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:51 am

TheMyTStags wrote:With regards to him not being clinical, I thought I'd compare his finishing rate to some other L2 strikers from last year (as I assume his form last year is the player we're trying to sign).
First immediate problem is look how low all our players conversion rates are bar Swan, Nichols is an improvement on them. to other number 10s, he's quite clinical. Considering he played almost twice DKDs games in league 2, it's telling that he only had s. He should get far more service in our team, hopefully leading to a similar effect to what we've seen with DKD (thHis rate is beaten by the out and out number 9s, which is to be expected as putting it in the net is their only job. Compared 7 more shotey've the same conversion rate, and, in the 3 seasons before this, have almost identical goal records).
He's also performed quite well against his xG, again suggests he's a pretty good finisher but he's not getting the chances other players are getting.

You say his rate is beaten by the out and out number nines? Isn't that what we wanted/needed?
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:13 am

chimneyboy wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:With regards to him not being clinical, I thought I'd compare his finishing rate to some other L2 strikers from last year (as I assume his form last year is the player we're trying to sign).
First immediate problem is look how low all our players conversion rates are bar Swan, Nichols is an improvement on them. to other number 10s, he's quite clinical. Considering he played almost twice DKDs games in league 2, it's telling that he only had s. He should get far more service in our team, hopefully leading to a similar effect to what we've seen with DKD (thHis rate is beaten by the out and out number 9s, which is to be expected as putting it in the net is their only job. Compared 7 more shotey've the same conversion rate, and, in the 3 seasons before this, have almost identical goal records).

You say his rate is beaten by the out and out number nines? Isn't that what we wanted/needed?

Ideally we wanted a number 9 that can still do the rest of the things that Clough demands, hence why we were in for Gregory. Only player on that list I'd place in that category is Al-Hamadi, who has just gone to the team 2nd in the championship. It's a very difficult signing to make in the summer, let alone January. We've had to settle for a step down from that, which I understand will disappoint some however it was perhaps to be expected. The question is, would you rather us sign an out and out number who can't fit in with the way we play (e.g. Johnson, Cook) or a relatively clinical (even if less so than a number 9) number 10 like Nichols who should fit our style?
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:14 am

Martin Shaw wrote:tomnichols_10 on instagram

Well my time at Gillingham has come to an end, when I joined a year ago we were bottom of the football league and I have really enjoyed my time here helping us get back up the table. A big thank you to everyone associated with the club I wish you all the best in the future @gfcofficial

Absolutely delighted to be joining @mansfieldtownfc

Tom Nichols' "wife-to-be" on instagram (post comes up on his instagram):
4 and a half years of being apart, and he's coming home.
It looks like 2024 really is the year all our dreams come true
PS. Seeeee ya M25 :-)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby zod » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:50 am

pemill wrote:Welcome aboard Tom !!

I'm a bit more patient than most on here, I'll give you 15 minutes to score your first goal before I decide your fate :D :D

A bit generous 15 minutes!
He'll be booed off tomorrow if he doesn't bag a hat-trick in two minutes by the folk who sit near me.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:12 pm

Where do we play Tom Nichols.
Like always at Mansfield its hard to pick a team as the squad has many alternatives.
Akins .Bowery- Gale - is our only forwards to compete against big central defenders in the air.
Swan-DKD-Nichols together would be a nightmare for defenders fast tricky and niggly,
Now how do we fit them in. Pym
Lewis Brunt Cargill Macca

Maris Clarke
DKD
Akins Swan Nichols
We rely on Maris and Clarke to boss midfield. DKD Akins Nichols will work hard without the ball and would help in midfield.
i think the opposition defenders would be kept occupied, anyway the squad has been has been improved with the arrival of Nichol.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum