{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

County scorethread sponsored by stags leave with pride? Or..

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: County scorethread sponsored by stags leave with pride?

Postby wink68 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:
So was there a shot from Langstaff too - that crashed off the underside of the bar at Quarry Lane End?

no. They hit the woodwork twice: Flint's header and Jones' cross

Langstaff didn't have a shot that was cleared off the line either. In fact he did nothing all game.

McGoldrick had a shot cleared off the line, after 2 minutes, that was nowhere near over the line.

Fair enough Mcgoldrick rather than Langstaff but it definitely looked like Williams was in the net when he cleared it. Have we got any footage of them and their pen shout which I had no view of at all
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:55 pm

Stoney wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:
So was there a shot from Langstaff too - that crashed off the underside of the bar at Quarry Lane End?

Langstaff didn't have a shot that was cleared off the line either. In fact he did nothing all game.

It looked from the QLE that Langstaff got an ever so slight touch on Jones cross which then hit the post.

I had a good view of the Jones cross and I thought Langstaff and Brunt both missed it before it hit the post. I've watched it frame by frame on the video and there appears to be no deviation.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:57 pm

wink68 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:

McGoldrick had a shot cleared off the line, after 2 minutes, that was nowhere near over the line.

Fair enough Mcgoldrick rather than Langstaff but it definitely looked like Williams was in the net when he cleared it. Have we got any footage of them and their pen shout which I had no view of at all

It's nowhere near over the line, and as I said, not a single Notts County player even appealed for it.

I'll come to the penalty shout in a bit.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Warsop Stag » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:57 pm

stagtastic1 wrote:After all the whinging Jones did every time he was tackled I just loved the impromptu “He’s gonna cry in a minute” chant. Whoever started it, take a bow :clap:

That was a beautiful thing.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:00 pm

wink68 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:

Having watched the highlights, I’m now wondering if they are referring to Flint’s tackle near the end when one of their players has already shot wide. Flint is certainly nowhere near the ball but clatters into the player who has just missed. The shot has already been taken and the tackle is too late to affect the outcome but there is no doubt he takes the man and I have seen them given. I actually think the ref was already pointing for a goal kick when Flint lands, it was very late.

Edit

It’s was Jones and is around the 6 minute mark on the extended highlights on ifollow.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:30 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:

Having watched the highlights, I’m now wondering if they are referring to Flint’s tackle near the end when one of their players has already shot wide. Flint is certainly nowhere near the ball but clatters into the player who has just missed. The shot has already been taken and the tackle is too late to affect the outcome but there is no doubt he takes the man and I have seen them given. I actually think the ref was already pointing for a goal kick when Flint lands, it was very late.

Edit

It’s was Jones and is around the 6 minute mark on the extended highlights on ifollow.

The Notts County manager only talks about one penalty claim and that is the Langstaff one:

On the penalty shout for a foul on Langstaff near the end, Maynard said: "It's so hard for me to have an opinion on that from where I'm standing on the touchline. We're all going to appeal for a penalty when you see your player get pulled to the ground but until we watch it back on the video I can't really comment to say whether it was or it wasn't."

This is what I am putting in my report:
Notts County had a shout for a penalty after 85 minutes. McGoldrick surged forward to the edge of the D, and slid a ball into the area for Langstaff. As the ball is played, the video shows that Langstaff was just offside, but the flag stayed down. Langstaff was goalside of Cargill, Cargill put an arm on Langstaff’s shoulder, and Langstaff went down very easily. From the video, I would say there was not enough contact to justify Langstaff going down. The officials got the decision not to award a penalty correct.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stoney » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:

It looked from the QLE that Langstaff got an ever so slight touch on Jones cross which then hit the post.

I had a good view of the Jones cross and I thought Langstaff and Brunt both missed it before it hit the post. I've watched it frame by frame on the video and there appears to be no deviation.

You probably won't see it on the video Martin but I'm 99% sure he got a touch, as I say it was the slightest of touches. Any more contact from Langstaff and it would've sneaked in at the far post.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martian wrote:

Edit

The Notts County manager only talks about one penalty claim and that is the Langstaff one:

On the penalty shout for a foul on Langstaff near the end, Maynard said: "It's so hard for me to have an opinion on that from where I'm standing on the touchline. We're all going to appeal for a penalty when you see your player get pulled to the ground but until we watch it back on the video I can't really comment to say whether it was or it wasn't."

This is what I am putting in my report:
Notts County had a shout for a penalty after 85 minutes. McGoldrick surged forward to the edge of the D, and slid a ball into the area for Langstaff. As the ball is played, the video shows that Langstaff was just offside, but the flag stayed down. Langstaff was goalside of Cargill, Cargill put an arm on Langstaff’s shoulder, and Langstaff went down very easily. From the video, I would say there was not enough contact to justify Langstaff going down. The officials got the decision not to award a penalty correct.

Fair enough Martin but do you have any opinion or thoughts on the one I highlighted. I have no idea which incident is being discussed on the county fans board so am probably miles off anyway.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:52 pm

Jones' shot is already well off target and probably even out of play by the time Flint is late with the tackle. That is not a penalty in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Warsop Stag » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:52 pm

As the late, great Bill Shankly once said, the best team always wins. The rest is just gossip.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:55 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Jones' shot is already well off target and probably even out of play by the time Flint is late with the tackle. That is not a penalty in my opinion.

Ok I appreciate your views, thanks. I’m not sure if the ball was already out of play but it wasn’t given so whether it should have been a penalty or not is purely academic.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm

Think the ref saw it as making a last ditch challenge to try and put him off wasn’t a lot of contact anyway and Jones as he had all day made the most of it
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:08 am

Dan wrote:

A thing of beauty
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:44 am

The highlights correctly show that the best chances of the game were to us, and was always going to be nervy with the 1 goal lead, though the defence was again absolutely magnificent - i was especially pleased for brunt after some of the ludicrous tripe aimed at him of late.

Still, the state of that pitch (not aimed at groundsman) :lol: :shock:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:46 am

Don’t think the state of the pitch impacted on the game in any way. In fact I think it played quite well considering
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:18 am

Just have to mention jb.he has filled in at right back and left back.ok right back not so good left back.imo we have 3 excellent right backs in Hewitt Williams and johnson.all better than jb.dont mind who plays right back any of those 3.expect Williams to play there next week.3 points essential.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am

The turn around in form since the turn of the century is quite remarkable.

20th Century P24 W5 D6 L13 F27 A38
21st Century P20 W11 D7 L2 F38 A17

I know the smugpies will bang on about history/size of ground/ number of stands etc.

We may gripe about treading water, but County's downward spiral is more remarkable & I think to some degree it's terminal for them.

The fact that we've played nearly as many league games against them in 24 years as we did in the previous 75 is in itself a telling mark of their decline.

It's why they always resort to childish jibes about our ground or our town, because it's all they've got. It's why they can never be magnanimous in defeat, giving us any credit for being better on the pitch than them for most of the last 20+ years. To do so would mean them waking up to the fact that they are now a level 3-5 club.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 am

Sneag wrote:The turn around in form since the turn of the century is quite remarkable.

20th Century P24 W5 D6 L13 F27 A38
21st Century P20 W11 D7 L2 F38 A17

I know the smugpies will bang on about history/size of ground/ number of stands etc.

We may gripe about treading water, but County's downward spiral is more remarkable & I think to some degree it's terminal for them.

The fact that we've played nearly as many league games against them in 24 years as we did in the previous 75 is in itself a telling mark of their decline.

It's why they always resort to childish jibes about our ground or our town, because it's all they've got. It's why they can never be magnanimous in defeat, giving us any credit for being better on the pitch than them for most of the last 20+ years. To do so would mean them waking up to the fact that they are now a level 3-5 club.

And make fun of me for marrying my sister.
I think her webbed feet are beautiful, no matter what they say.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:00 pm

Thanks East Midlands Today. 10 seconds cos we won. Forest, Leicester, Derby, Panthers.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 pm

wink68 wrote:Thanks East Midlands Today. 10 seconds cos we won. Forest, Leicester, Derby, Panthers.

Just said the same to Mrs Sneag. Would have had top billing if County had won.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:14 pm

Sneag wrote:
wink68 wrote:Thanks East Midlands Today. 10 seconds cos we won. Forest, Leicester, Derby, Panthers.

5 min on Forest sending a player out on loan. Leicester goal with an interview with each scorer. Action from Derby and oh yes Mansfield won now some Panthers action.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:55 am

wink68 wrote:
Sneag wrote:

5 min on Forest sending a player out on loan. Leicester goal with an interview with each scorer. Action from Derby and oh yes Mansfield won now some Panthers action.

That's how I saw it too Wink.....we do get in the way at times don't we.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:08 am

East Midlands today is laughable. Don’t get me started on the 40 minute, King has Cancer coverage either. Absolutely pathetic. Mansfield Town FC will never get any decent coverage.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum