{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wombles fred sponsored by January blues

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Wombles fred sponsored by January blues

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

"Only one reason we leave with nothing. It's because of the decisions made by the referee all afternoon. Nothing else"

The FA being the FA, Clough will be getting a hefty fine for that interview. :evil:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:11 pm

If the fa had any integrity they would sack that ref and fourth official and void the game
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:25 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:In 53 years I've never ever come away from a game feeling as cheated, as I did today. The players put in a mammoth effort, especially in that second half, to be robbed, by a referee, who had no intention of letting the Stags get anything out of that game. A more blatant penalty you will not see., and he couldn't bring the red card out fast enough, to send Bowery, off.
Anybody that criticises anybody today, needs to give there head a good shake.
P.s. thought the fans were superb today, in spite of everything.

Just walked in from a drive with bl**dy diversions 10 miles from home which didn't improve my mood.
This sums up how I feel.
First half we huffed and puffed but were second to too many balls
Their goal, like Tuesday's, was so damned avoidable but after half time we really took it to them. Swan, Quinn, Clarke and Maris put them under real pressure and changed the momentum (around the time some brain surgeon posted that the players weren't putting any effort in). That five minutes really set the tone for the rest of the game.

The ref was one of those ones who needed to be the centre of attention even in the way he marched over to book Garner. The booking could have gone either way but the decisions over some of the bookings were bizarre - Quinn booked for an accidental clash but no bookings for some of their players who were cynical throughout the second half.
It was a clear penalty and I expect we will receive an apology call from the Ref's rep on Monday.
Whilst it is grasping at straws, it sums up the officials that during the build up to the winner, there were two balls on the pitch and a steward ran thirty metres on to retrieve one
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:27 pm

MansfieldMick wrote:How come we never come away from a game saying we got a dodgy penalty decision and their sending off was a bit cruel, why do all the big decisions always go against us? Stops being coincidence after a while. FA really do need to look at some of the refereeing at our level, it's starting to spoil the whole experience for me.

Because you forget about them as just bad luck for the opposition. I can think of at least two occasions this season when opponents should have had pens against us. Even in the reverse fixture against Dons, Bowery should have been sent off.

It’s all swings and roundabouts, but it doesn’t make it any easier to swallow when it happens to you, especially today when it seems we have been on the wrong end of two particularly bad ones.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:32 pm

I can’t see us getting anywhere with our complaint.

Bowery’s red and the penalty are matters of opinion and the FA will always back the ref.

I can see Garner getting a reasonably long ban for his confrontation with the spectators maybe as many as four matches. As Sneag says, it’s also possible Nigel will be charged for his interview which could also involve a touch line ban.

I still think we should go ahead with the complaint but it should be a decision made by JR as the others were too involved to be totally focused on the correct course of action and it’s implications for the club.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:43 pm

Proud of the effort shown by the stags. Can’t knock their performance, just shocking officials. Did anyone else who went today felt the stewards were just trying to stir for trouble. Let’s get behind them, promotion still very much on and I just hope flinty is ok. That’s as bad as I’ve felt at FT though, just felt cheated
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 pm

Re the stewards - it felt unnecessarily officious when we arrived but the behaviour of some of our fans was unacceptable too which allowed the stewards to continue to be difficult. It was the first away game in a long time that other fans' behaviour made us feel embarrassed (and we are not shrinking violets)

That said some of the stewards were fine
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:47 pm

Pity u can’t appeal penalties like that
We need VAR in lower leagues soon
Feel sorry for Stags on this one but we have to man up and move on it’s all part of todays game
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:23 pm

Not sure if mentioned earlier in the fred, but that is only the second time Will Finnie has refereed us since the Newport game nearly two years ago, when JJ got sent off, Newport equalised through a soft penalty late on, and Quinn nearly talked himself into a red card.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:27 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I can’t see us getting anywhere with our complaint.

Bowery’s red and the penalty are matters of opinion and the FA will always back the ref.

I can see Garner getting a reasonably long ban for his confrontation with the spectators maybe as many as four matches. As Sneag says, it’s also possible Nigel will be charged for his interview which could also involve a touch line ban.

I still think we should go ahead with the complaint but it should be a decision made by JR as the others were too involved to be totally focused on the correct course of action and it’s implications for the club.

As I understand it, the complaint isn't about the ref. It's the fourth official.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Vinnie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:57 pm

We lost, we need to move on quickly. No amount of belly aching or whinging will change the result, no matter how aggrieved we feel. This result has been coming really, hopefully we'll have some recruits this week to give us all a boost.
Vinnie
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:12 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:20 am

I've not read the thread yet so apologies if this has already been posted.

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:41 am

I've never been taken in by the love in for Wimbledon, in fact, I've always disliked them and don't subscribe to the poor hard done to me syndrome from the move to MK - it was their owner who removed the covenant on Plough Lane and sold it to a supermarket, it was living above their means that led to their financial issues that resulted in the move. Then you look at how they treated Kingstonian and how they profited from Kingsmeadow by selling it to Chelsea knowing they would not allow the club who built the ground to play there. raspberries.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:51 am

Rob wrote:I've never been taken in by the love in for Wimbledon, in fact, I've always disliked them and don't subscribe to the poor hard done to me syndrome from the move to MK - it was their owner who removed the covenant on Plough Lane and sold it to a supermarket, it was living above their means that led to their financial issues that resulted in the move. Then you look at how they treated Kingstonian and how they profited from Kingsmeadow by selling it to Chelsea knowing they would not allow the club who built the ground to play there. raspberries.

And then after that, despite all their 'woe is me' about being forced out of their home in the first place, they were more than happy to do the same to the other sports of stock cars and greyhound racing in order to 'return home'. If they really wanted to return home they should have been knocking down the flats 500 yards down the road, not an existing sports venue. Hypocritical raspberry !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:24 am

A friend of mine is a Wimbledon fan and this is how he saw it:

"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 am

gazza1988 wrote:

"Only one reason we leave with nothing. It's because of the decisions made by the referee all afternoon. Nothing else"

You can see how absolutely fizzing he is about all of it. Proud that he’s our manager
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:09 am

Amber Andy wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:That feels so unfair.

We take the moral victory though.

Means nothing unfortunately.

Means nothing on the league table. And doesn't mitigate the sending offs, or the injury. But Paul cox would have used that sense of injustice to ignite a run of results. He'd have created a pack mentality and he would make it mean an extra 10% in every game. Clough will do the same. Let's do the business against county and give this promotion tilt a right good go.

#TenMoreWins
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:14 am

Marky Mark wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

You can see how absolutely fizzing he is about all of it. Proud that he’s our manager

I thought I saw a lot of Brian in Nigel's interview, controlled anger and perfect expression. I wouldn't think the FA have any grounds for a reprimand, nevermind a fine.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:33 am

It will be interesting to see the impact of yesterday on Will Swann. It was good to see how much it meant to the other players. Watch the video and how Quinn, Reed and Akins react. There is clearly a strong squad bond and it felt more than the usual goal celebration
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:45 am

2 ways we can let the injustice from yesterday affect us, either we will feel sorry for ourselves or use it as motivation, the lads didn’t deserve to lose yesterday, the decision for a penalty was a joke, we’re without 3 more first team players for county, but if we can sign a couple this week that will give us a bit of a lift, we’re still 3rd in league.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:56 am

So proud of the boys yesterday they gave it everything but the sheer incompetence of the referee has really made this defeat a difficult one to take. I’ll accept it was probably a red card for Bowery we would have wanted a red card if the roles were reversed but he was so keen to pull the red card out yet seemed to let Wimbledon get away with foul after foul. The penalty decision is a disgrace how he can’t give that I’ll never know. All we can do now is channel that anger for next Saturday. Praying Flints injury isn’t as bad as it looks.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:45 am

Dan wrote:I've not read the thread yet so apologies if this has already been posted.

First time I’ve seen the incident and I was expecting something a bit more blatant given the comments. Interesting to see it from a different angle, but if it had been given against us I’d have thought it a soft penalty. DKD does go down easily.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:46 am

oldweststander wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

I thought I saw a lot of Brian in Nigel's interview, controlled anger and perfect expression. I wouldn't think the FA have any grounds for a reprimand, nevermind a fine.

It's funny you said that, I thought exactly the same and if you close your eyes and listen it could well have been Brian speaking. I too don't think he said anything that bad, Arteta called the ref a disgrace and got away with it!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:46 am

A view of what still angers me as an atrocious decision not to award us a late penalty yesterday from a former colleague and manager of mine, since retired, who also doubled up as a football referee assessor:

I have had a look, whereby for the sending off, the attacker was mid-way into the defensive half, on direct route to goal & much space beyond the defender so can see why he sent defender off.

As to the penalty, the Referee had much the same view as the tv camera by looking ‘towards’ the incident, whereby he would have been better placed getting more a side-on view. I think there was contact from the Home defender, though the probable reason why he didn’t give it, is that the Mansfield player went to ground a bit too easily, which always places doubt into the mind of a Referee. He may have also decided that the contact was minimal & therefore not sufficient. If there is any doubt, then a Referee is not likely to give a pen (though we all know some soft ones are given).
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum