{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Will Swan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Will Swan

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:32 pm

What's going off here?

Cannot buy any game time.. we needed something else up top today
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Will Swan

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:36 pm

If we’re not going to utilize him we might as well let him go. Get him out on loan to get some game time and try and build up his confidence. Even if we had more injuries up front, I still can’t see Clough playing him, especially when Flint is ahead of him now.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby victor A block » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm

SeanieStag wrote:If we’re not going to utilize him we might as well let him go. Get him out on loan to get some game time and try and build up his confidence. Even if we had more injuries up front, I still can’t see Clough playing him, especially when Flint is ahead of him now.

Flint has done absolutely nothing every occasion he is moved up front to suggest that is a positive idea. In fact we conceded that late winner at Swindon when he wasn't in the box to defend the cross. He's a defender.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:42 pm

SeanieStag wrote:If we’re not going to utilize him we might as well let him go. Get him out on loan to get some game time and try and build up his confidence. Even if we had more injuries up front, I still can’t see Clough playing him, especially when Flint is ahead of him now.

In defence Flint is a class act, up front he's dreadful.

Swan needs some game time, no striker ever came out of a goal drought sat on his arse on the bench.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:52 pm

I agree that Flint hasn’t shown anything up front as yet, but my point about Clough still rating him as a better attacking threat than Swan still stands. Clough seemingly prefers a big man up top to mix things up and get his head on something over anything attacking threat Swan might have. I don’t know if that says more about Swan’s form our ability to create any meaningful chances for him. I never thought at the start of December that we’d become a hoof and hope team.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:What's going off here?

Cannot buy any gane time.. we needed something else up top today

He's not bothered now on a long contract
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:55 pm

Swan is our only available forward and our pacy fox in the box, it does seem play him or let him go.
I was hoping Reed off, Swan on.
With DKD playing the midfield behind the strikers.
But a draw is still a good result away from home,
We do need a striker but i think some have to leave to afford a decent one
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:56 pm

St Hilary Stag wrote:

That's a load of rubbish. If anything he is trying too hard when he gets his chance.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:59 pm

St Hilary Stag wrote:

What a ridiculous post. He gets about 6 mins a week
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:02 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
St Hilary Stag wrote:

What a ridiculous post. He gets about 6 mins a week

I'd have brought him on for Akins after about an hour of the Crewe game and today - Akins has had two very, very poor games and like Reed is currently not worth his place in the starting eleven.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:11 pm

Would like to see him get a run of games alongside Akins with dkd in behind at the top of a diamond
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Class of 02 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:44 pm

He's got to go out on loan if he's not being played. Cloughie clearly doesn't trust him at the moment so we may as well
get one or even two forwards in on loan if we can even if we're not 100% on them. Anything has to be better than someone who clearly isn't going to feature.
Big window now. We're having a great season so it would be a shame to jeopardise it with inaction over the striker issue
Class of 02
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:35 pm

I agree about swan and we were saying the same before and during the game today, give him a chance - let’s see what he can do.

Bringing subs on 3 minutes before is frankly ridiculous and it should’ve happened when 1-0 rather than waiting (again) for the other side to equalise.

Stop being stubborn nigel, give him a game / let’s see what he’s about.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:36 pm

Atm swann doesnt suit our style of play ,he will come good akins is on his last legs so were either gonna change or were buggered not sure whos at fault its just one of those things :coys:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:50 pm

Costastag wrote:Atm swann doesnt suit our style of play ,he will come good akins is on his last legs so were either gonna change or were buggered not sure whos at fault its just one of those things :coys:

At this very moment Costa, what is our style of play??
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Ad » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:55 pm

adamstag wrote:I agree about swan and we were saying the same before and during the game today, give him a chance - let’s see what he can do.

Bringing subs on 3 minutes before is frankly ridiculous and it should’ve happened when 1-0 rather than waiting (again) for the other side to equalise.

Stop being stubborn nigel, give him a game / let’s see what he’s about.

Agreed we needed a second goal and not let them back in. Swan needs a run in the team that's the only way he'll get his confidence back and form of last season. He had half a chance against Crewe in the six yard Bix that maybe if he'd had more than seven minutes in two months he might have smashed in? In Clough we trust though! COYS!!
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stag324 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:10 pm

Would the fans, especially many on this board tolerate Swann playing awful for the next 3/4 games to enable him to find his form again.

I doubt it, he would be the next scape goat

Akins needs a rest and we need to go back to playing the diamond but neither will happen.

Clough has always had his favourites and sticks by them no matter what
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 pm

One of the main problems with Swan is that he offers very little defensively. If he’s not doing anything up front then he is little more than a passenger and gives free kicks away in dangerous areas when he does try to defend.

Nigel likes all rounders and would prefer to keep an exhausted Akins on as he does at least get his head on the ball at opposition corners. I simply can’t see a place in this team for Swan as things stand unless he starts to put more of a shift in while we are defending.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:One of the main problems with Swan is that he offers very little defensively. If he’s not doing anything up front then he is little more than a passenger and gives free kicks away in dangerous areas when he does try to defend.

Nigel likes all rounders and would prefer to keep an exhausted Akins on as he does at least get his head on the ball at opposition corners. I simply can’t see a place in this team for Swan as things stand unless he starts to put more of a shift in while we are defending.

I doubt Clough would have signed him for a fee and a three year deal if this was correct.

I think it’s more to do with him not having a pre season and just being out of form when given a chance,. Although he’s not been given enough minutes lately.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:47 pm

This thread has occured because rightly people are at least wanting to discuss and at most challenging why Swan is not getting any game time and especially as he was signed to do exactly what we need. Aikens looks knackered. KD operates best as an attacking midfielder. It's Swan up front or no one and no one seems to be preferred. I find this really frustrating. And why should money be spent on Gregory or whoever when money was spent on Swan and how is that panning out?
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:25 pm

Today was crying out for someone to run the channels and give us an outlet. We didn't need Swan to come on as a goal threat but we needed his legs and movement.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:33 pm

Agree Swan should have been brought on
Not making much progress in the table currently and will be a tight fight for autos
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:40 pm

victor A block wrote:

Flint has done absolutely nothing every occasion he is moved up front to suggest that is a positive idea. In fact we conceded that late winner at Swindon when he wasn't in the box to defend the cross. He's a defender.

Except getting that point at Colchester and the win against Donny in the pizza cup. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:44 am

stag324 wrote:Would the fans, especially many on this board tolerate Swann playing awful for the next 3/4 games to enable him to find his form again.

I doubt it, he would be the next scape goat

Akins needs a rest and we need to go back to playing the diamond but neither will happen.

Clough has always had his favourites and sticks by them no matter what

Yes.

Akins aint scored for a long while
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:29 am

Unless there's something we don't know about?

Something Swan has or perhaps hasn't done in training? Something that has put him on the wrong side of Clough, who seemingly had his back and had a lot more trust in him during his loan spell?

It could be anything when it comes to Nigel, particularly with younger players. He can give them a bit of tough love, but only because he wants them to maximise the ability and potential they have. Some take it and do well, others fall by the wayside and don't apply themselves properly.

We aren't to know - but there has to be a bit more to it for him to not be getting an opportunity now.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum