{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Morecambe fred sponsored by back on track

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Morecambe fred sponsored by back on track

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:19 am

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:We need a striker who can head or control a football preferably both, Akins cannot do either at the moment.

When Lucas is 'on it' he's a real handful, when he isn't he's slow, poor in the air and has touch like a trampoline. He's not really recovered his form since the facial injury. Bowery would be a better option up top at the moment.

I agree, as I said in the Swan thread, I'd give Swan a game on Tuesday and rest Akins - I know they are different players but it will make us play it on the deck more, which is when we are at our best. Too often we just lump it to Akins and let him deal with it. Against FGR I'd go with:

Pym
Lewis, Flint, Cargill, Real Macca
Brunt
Clarke, Maris, Quinn
DKD
Swan

Oh Rob......You got what you wanted today didn't you, Clarke and Maris together?

Trouble is they are doing double the work now he's decided to play a back six :lol:

The problem in a nutshell.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:19 am

oldweststander wrote:Agree, it isn't working with Brunt and Reed in the same midfield four but what is the alternative.

1) Revert to the early season model with DKD behind the front two, that's fine if we had a decent front two.

2) Play Clarke and Quinn alongside Maris, problem there is neither Clarke nor Quinn can be depended on to stay 90 mins and certainly cannot do that Saturday/Tuesday.

3) Play Lewis who runs and runs but achieves little IMO, can't shoot to save his life.

So we bring in two decent strikers and revert to 1).

What a ludicrous way of thinking.
He was in there for his running power/energy as we pressed teams into submission and imposed ourselves on the opposition.
I think we need him back in there as we need to "impose" ourselves again instead of two holding midfielders that have allowed the opposition a foothold.
I agree his shooting was abysmal but he was part of what looked like a "promotion" side, we now look like play off candidates
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 am

Haven’t seen the game yet, only the highlights.

The goal we gave away was very strange, why was Akins so deep when the ball was played through? Had we switched to 5 at the back? It was also frustrating to see him one on one with Rawson when through in the first half, and him do very little to try and fashion an angle for a shot. He looks very leggy at the moment, we need a striker who can come in and replace him.

I think we’re also a bit lacking at left back in terms of quality. Perhaps with more minutes McLaughlin will look a bit more like the answer, but at the moment he doesn’t look to have the same running ability as he did previously. Macdonald I think is steady, a decent defender but lacking in the other direction. Cargill can play there but is better at centre back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:26 am

diablo wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Clough wont drop Akins will he though. I dont get this Akins thing. Ive been watching stags since the 60s and Akins is the most Bang Average player i've ever seen at the Mill

Totally agree...cannot head..cannot hold...slow...doesn't anticipate...bang average as you say

Got absolutely pilloried 2 weeks ago for saying exactly what you and others have said.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Haven’t seen the game yet, only the highlights.

The goal we gave away was very strange, why was Akins so deep when the ball was played through? Had we switched to 5 at the back? It was also frustrating to see him one on one with Rawson when through in the first half, and him do very little to try and fashion an angle for a shot. He looks very leggy at the moment, we need a striker who can come in and replace him.

I think we’re also a bit lacking at left back in terms of quality. Perhaps with more minutes McLaughlin will look a bit more like the answer, but at the moment he doesn’t look to have the same running ability as he did previously. Macdonald I think is steady, a decent defender but lacking in the other direction. Cargill can play there but is better at centre back.

It may be the solution to the poor Brunt/Reed midfield.
Cargill at LB again, Brunt CH and the midfield diamond back to early season running the show??
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stoney » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:37 am

Akins had been moved back to RWB for a good 10 minutes or so from memory. I think he went back up top when they equalised.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:39 am

For some bizarre reason after we scored we decided to move Akins on the right and play some sort of 4-5-1 it felt like. It was all very odd and cost us eventually as we invited pressure on.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:41 am

By the time Morecombe scored we had gone full Adam Murray with a back 7. We've got the best defensive record in the division because we defend from the front. 3 up top pressing then the midfield pushing on leaving the back 4 to mop up long balls. Yesterday Brunts natural instincts make him drop deep to play where Reed should have been so he dropped even deeper often making a back five or even behind the defence. We then compounded things by pulling Akins back to play just in front of Bowery. JBs not a natural defender who struggles with his positioning. Putting Akins with him confused things even more each one not knowing what their responsibility was leading directly to nobody going with their lad who crossed for the goal. We've had a formation and style of play that has worked all season, but changed it to try and fit all his favourites in. Why change something that wasn't broken.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:43 am

Thanks for those who have answered my question re why Akins was so deep.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:12 am

Personally I would drop Reed and have a midfield 4 of Maris, Clarke, Brunt and Quinn with DKD up front with Swan on Tuesday and try and play it on the floor. We could always bring Akins on if it isn't working but personally I would like to see us try something different and bottom of the league at home is as best a time to try as ever.
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:27 am

I think the problem with MacDonald is that NC likes his full backs to get forward, but when we’re pushed back down that side then defence becomes their primary role and that’s where MacDonald gets found out - he’s kind of just alright going forward and just alright in defence, but not great at either (that’s why he’s in League 2). Felt like Morecambe set up yesterday like an away team would do when they come to us, we had plenty of possession but they just let us have it in our own half, they were better than I thought they’d be though. I think we probably needed Quinn on a bit earlier too (although it took about 5 minutes for the ball to go out of play as Quinn was waiting to come on) as nothing was getting going down the left, definitely in the first half, it improved when Macca came on. As with others I don’t like Reed and Brunt in the middle, NC has said that he does it to get both Brunt and Cargill in the side, but I hope this isn’t the other years version of shoe-horning Murphy into the team around January, as that felt like it stalled our momentum.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:06 pm

My 1st half summary.

A very sloppy 1st half from Mansfield. Morecambe should be leading. They had three good chances in the first 7 minutes.

Mansfield have been constantly giving the ball away with Calum MacDonald, Baily Cargill, DKD and Louis Reed being the main culprits. Lucas Akins has been poor up front. Lewis Brunt made one good pass to Jordan Bowery but has not been involved enough in the game.

Mansfield's two main attacks were counter attacks where DKD hit the bar after a great interception and driving run from his own half. Lucas Akins then shot straight at the keeper after a good ball by George Maris.

End of game summary

A disappointing performance from the Stags who were very sloppy giving the ball away in the 1st half and only created 3/4 chances all game. Calum MacDonald was one of the main culprits giving the ball away and he was unsurprisingly subbed at half time being replaced by Stephem McLaughlin.

Mansfield took the lead from a Macca free kick which was cleared. George Maris passed the ball back to DKD in the area jwho laid it off to Ollie Clarke on the edge of the area who played in Baily Cargill to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

Unfortunately Mansfield did not push on and did not create another chance in the 2nd half. Morecambe equalised with their one good cross of the game from the left which gave sub Charlie Brown a tap in. I was hoping for a late Mansfield winner but we don't seem to be able to score late winners which are essential for promotion sides.

My MOM was Aden Flint followed by Ollie Clarke. Baily Cargill scored a good goal but gave the ball away in the 1st half.

Aden Flint 8
Ollie Clarke 7
Baily Cargill 7
Christy Pym 7
George Maris 6.5
Davis Keillor Dunn 6.5
Stephen McLaughlin 6.5
Jordan Bowery 6.5
Lewis Brunt 6
Louis Reed 5.5
Lucas Akins 5
Calum MacDonald 4.5

New midfield signing Joe Adams was Morecambe's MOM. I also thought Gwion Edwards was dangerous in the 1st half.

Take the point but we need to beat FGR in Tuesday.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Haven’t seen the game yet, only the highlights. The goal we gave away was very strange, why was Akins so deep when the ball was played through? Had we switched to 5 at the back?.

64 minutes - Jacob Bedeau had an attack down the left and won a corner. Nigel Clough told Lucas Akins to drop back on the right and told DKD to play in the centre up front.

Yann Songoo got in behind George Maris for the goal. Jordan Bowery was too high up the pitch . He should have been behind Maris. We had three players there and failed to stop the cross. Stephen McLaughlin let Charlie Brown run off him but it was the best cross of the game.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:02 pm

Aaron Lewis wasn’t on the field when they scored.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:04 pm

Sorry. Meant Maris.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:29 pm

Akins and DKD changed positions in that 4-2-3-1 formation, with Akins on the right and DKD going up front on his own.
Maris was in behind DKD and Clarke on the left as part of the three.
Reed and Brunt were holding hands in front of the back four.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm

part time pete wrote:Akins and DKD changed positions in that 4-2-3-1 formation, with Akins on the right and DKD going up front on his own.

Oooo Peter, meooooow
In all seriousness of mild mannered Pete is peed off with the set up.then things are bad :lol:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
part time pete wrote:Akins and DKD changed positions in that 4-2-3-1 formation, with Akins on the right and DKD going up front on his own.

Oooo Peter, meooooow
In all seriousness of mild mannered Pete is peed off with the set up.then things are bad :lol:

As Nige will not drop Reed, Brunt needs to go in at centre half and Cargill at left back.

I suppose Brunt and Cargill could play centre back and push Flint up front from the start. ;) ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:53 pm

part time pete wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

Oooo Peter, meooooow

As Nige will not drop Reed, Brunt needs to go in at centre half and Cargill at left back.

I suppose Brunt and Cargill could play centre back and push Flint up front from the start. ;) ;)

You really are peeved Pete :lol:
I just cannot for the life of me fathom his thinking at the mo.
It's as though he has too many options at the moment and is just picking what he sees as his best players in a formation that doesn't suit them. It's as though when he had all the injuries and so a small squad it more or less picked itself???
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:56 pm

Wait till a certain poster decides that were not worthy of the services bestowed upon us by his avowed deity,were all gonna be sent to hell and our motives and intentions will be damned and his divine disciple will castigate us furthermore into the abyss ,tis a nightmarish scenario ,nah its a few sunday lunchtime beers :lol: :coys:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
diablo wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Clough wont drop Akins will he though. I dont get this Akins thing. Ive been watching stags since the 60s and Akins is the most Bang Average player i've ever seen at the Mill

Totally agree...cannot head..cannot hold...slow...doesn't anticipate...bang average as you say

Got absolutely pilloried 2 weeks ago for saying exactly what you and others have said.

I know..so have I....I've been saying it all Season
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:My 1st half summary.

A very sloppy 1st half from Mansfield. Morecambe should be leading. They had three good chances in the first 7 minutes.

Mansfield have been constantly giving the ball away with Calum MacDonald, Baily Cargill, DKD and Louis Reed being the main culprits. Lucas Akins has been poor up front. Lewis Brunt made one good pass to Jordan Bowery but has not been involved enough in the game.

Mansfield's two main attacks were counter attacks where DKD hit the bar after a great interception and driving run from his own half. Lucas Akins then shot straight at the keeper after a good ball by George Maris.

End of game summary

A disappointing performance from the Stags who were very sloppy giving the ball away in the 1st half and only created 3/4 chances all game. Calum MacDonald was one of the main culprits giving the ball away and he was unsurprisingly subbed at half time being replaced by Stephem McLaughlin.

Mansfield took the lead from a Macca free kick which was cleared. George Maris passed the ball back to DKD in the area jwho laid it off to Ollie Clarke on the edge of the area who played in Baily Cargill to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

Unfortunately Mansfield did not push on and did not create another chance in the 2nd half. Morecambe equalised with their one good cross of the game from the left which gave sub Charlie Brown a tap in. I was hoping for a late Mansfield winner but we don't seem to be able to score late winners which are essential for promotion sides.

My MOM was Aden Flint followed by Ollie Clarke. Baily Cargill scored a good goal but gave the ball away in the 1st half.

Aden Flint 8
Ollie Clarke 7
Baily Cargill 7
Christy Pym 7
George Maris 6.5
Davis Keillor Dunn 6.5
Stephen McLaughlin 6.5
Jordan Bowery 6.5
Lewis Brunt 6
Louis Reed 5.5
Lucas Akins 5
Calum MacDonald 4.5

New midfield signing Joe Adams was Morecambe's MOM. I also thought Gwion Edwards was dangerous in the 1st half.

Take the point but we need to beat FGR in Tuesday.

Jake Taylor was better than Adams.

They were all very tidy on the ball and played some good stuff to be fair.

We weren't as bad as some are making out.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm

Costastag wrote:Wait till a certain poster decides that were not worthy of the services bestowed upon us by his avowed deity,were all gonna be sent to hell and our motives and intentions will be damned and his divine disciple will castigate us furthermore into the abyss ,tis a nightmarish scenario ,nah its a few sunday lunchtime beers :lol: :coys:

What a stupid post that is. Are you drunk?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm

broomo wrote:
Costastag wrote:Wait till a certain poster decides that were not worthy of the services bestowed upon us by his avowed deity,were all gonna be sent to hell and our motives and intentions will be damned and his divine disciple will castigate us furthermore into the abyss ,tis a nightmarish scenario ,nah its a few sunday lunchtime beers :lol: :coys:

It cant be that stupid you know who i meant and no not drunk but i await your inevitable castigations
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:04 pm

Costastag wrote:
broomo wrote:

It cant be that stupid you know who i meant and no not drunk but i await your inevitable castigations

No castigations. Just a needless and pointless dig from you.

I expect no better.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum