{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Desperately seeking Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Desperately seeking Nigel

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Perhaps after getting into a row with home fans, being booked and putting his foot through the perspex side panel on the dugout in the last game he had a think. He has been through an intense period of games over Christmas and perhaps just took himself out of the situation.

I am not some sort of acolyte but some of the comments since the loss have been mind blowing and perhaps show why what he did was sensible if it reflects the thoughts of people who sit near him

He is needed in the dugout full stop. If he moved because of comments from behind then he needs to grow a pair fast.
So do those who are making these unwanted comments. We are all in this together. Do these idiots want us to fail? What do they gain from it ?

I've disagreed with team selections, substitution etc (if you can believe that :D) but I would never belittle any of them in public. I've shouted in frustration, as we all have, in the heat of the moment. I've been frustrated and looked over to clough and he's beyond just frustrated by the look of him.

If Nigel randomly asked me for my view, I'd tell him what I say on here and maybe stuff I don't say on here and keep to myself. But I cannot envision a scenario where he would single me out for my opinion, and nor should have to. So I disagree with those behind him who think they can criticise.

Question for those who sit behind the dugouts. Do you shout positive things? Like "Akins is great, good job playing him Nige!? no? Well then the negative people should shut up too.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:41 pm

lifestags wrote:As musing has said, he’s managed derby and Sheffield United, with fans sat behind him. There’s no way he moved because of them, he’s done it a couple of times before.

Exactly. Some are stuck in the 70s, we have mobile phones, tables, headsets. Clough can sit in the stands and give instructions to Garner. I'm sure Clough would say that his gob is big enough to get the instructions out there.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:43 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Perhaps after getting into a row with home fans, being booked and putting his foot through the perspex side panel on the dugout in the last game he had a think. He has been through an intense period of games over Christmas and perhaps just took himself out of the situation.

I am not some sort of acolyte but some of the comments since the loss have been mind blowing and perhaps show why what he did was sensible if it reflects the thoughts of people who sit near him

He is needed in the dugout full stop. If he moved because of comments from behind then he needs to grow a pair fast.
So do those who are making these unwanted comments. We are all in this together. Do these idiots want us to fail? What do they gain from it ?

He’s wise enough to know that within 6000 fans will be a couple who have imbibed too much amber nectar and a couple who are a sandwich short of a picnic. What’s more concerning is why our last 2 home performances have been below standard.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:54 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:

He’s wise enough to know that within 6000 fans will be a couple who have imbibed too much amber nectar and a couple who are a sandwich short of a picnic. What’s more concerning is why our last 2 home performances have been below standard.

win at home and draw away is the same as draw at home and win away, just not great for the home fans.

We've now, in the league, lost 2 games. 1 at home to Crewe and 1 away to Swindon.

Home and away tables.

Hone table we are 10th but also joint least number of games played. https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... 2024/home/
Away table we are top with the team in 2nd (Barrow playing more away games than uS) https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... 2024/away/

Teams and players are allowed off days. We lost, get over it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:03 pm

You’re the one who has always said we don’t need a new striker so forgive me for taking zero notice of anything you say
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:09 pm

Someone yesterday described us as having become average and the matchday comments are full of what we need to fix.

I try to bring some perspective, especially at times when the mood is low and criticism on the rise.

We've STILL got 13 points from the last 6 games. 2nd in the form table behind Walsall with 15.

We've only conceded 3 goals in those 6 games. The ridiculous penalty at Crawley, the unfortunate error from Flints block (very unlucky but still a mistake) and then yesterdays non clearance.

Cut out those 2 mistakes and we get 4 points from the same 2 below par home games. Our season so far has been built on not making too many mistakes. (and possibly getting away with some of mistakes we have made)

Fine margins. The defence (in particular Flint) have been absolutely incredible so far and while it's gutting to not go top or at least cone away with a point it's not a time to over analyse..

Would be nice to have a fresh face in up top to give us a different spark.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:18 pm

broomo wrote:Someone yesterday described us as having become average and the matchday comments are full of what we need to fix.

I try to bring some perspective, especially at times when the mood is low and criticism on the rise.

We've STILL got 13 points from the last 6 games. 2nd in the form table behind Walsall with 15.

We've only conceded 3 goals in those 6 games. The ridiculous penalty at Crawley, the unfortunate error from Flints block (very unlucky but still a mistake) and then yesterdays non clearance.

Cut out those 2 mistakes and we get 4 points from the same 2 below par home games. Our season so far has been built on not making too many mistakes. (and possibly getting away with some of mistakes we have made)

Fine margins. The defence (in particular Flint) have been absolutely incredible so far and while it's gutting to not go top or at least cone away with a point it's not a time to over analyse..

All fair points Broomo.

What's your thoughts though on what seems to be a general consensus why we have gone away (at home) from the system that brought the results with slick exciting football at the start of the campaign.
The need/want as Nigel said himself to get Flint, Cargill, Brunt and Reed in the same side is to our detriment at home in many opinions???
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:23 pm

chimneyboy wrote:You’re the one who has always said we don’t need a new striker so forgive me for taking zero notice of anything you say

And we didn't we are 2nd in the league table having lost 2 games. If oates is out for the most of the season that left then we will need a new striker.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:32 pm

The good times are coming back the Negative Nellies show their colours, 4 more defeats and we can go back to a 14 or 15 match thread.
And for the 3rd year running a vote on the Manager should he go.
How he does his job does he sit in the stands or any other part of the ground maybe a seat in the Directors box.
Where ever you were in the ground you saw Brunt go from player of the month to a mistake of the week.
And you saw their player shoot through a crowded penalty area into the bottom corner of the net.
While our lot shooting through a crowded penalty area just did number one sin blazing it high and wide into the top tier of the stand,
Where ever he was he was as frustrated as any one,
Management is a thin line between success at Stockport or failure against Crewe.
Stockport fans on a low last week, now on a high and did not play, .
Every team in the top 4 as lost 1 game in their last 5 matches,
Pressure is always on the Home team because they are expected to win.
Where ever Nigel is he cannot stop players making mistakes, and because of the abuse by some maybe its for the best undermining a manager or staff and players cannot be good for team moral, Sat was our turn to feel disappointment and it hurts, but we do it together, apart from the Negative Nellies who must find a scapegoat.
You will find Nigel in the right place at the right time.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:33 pm

The Reed and Brunt together is a strange one at home....

I would like to see this at home

Pym
Bowery Flint Cargill Macca
Brunt
Lewis Clarke
Maris

DKD Akins
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:38 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:

Doesn't matter if they have had too much ale or not. It doesn't help. What do these people get out of it ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:41 pm

broomo wrote:Someone yesterday described us as having become average and the matchday comments are full of what we need to fix.

Spot on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:49 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:

All fair points Broomo.

What's your thoughts though on what seems to be a general consensus why we have gone away (at home) from the system that brought the results with slick exciting football at the start of the campaign.
The need/want as Nigel said himself to get Flint, Cargill, Brunt and Reed in the same side is to our detriment at home in many opinions???

Partly the pitch, partly the number of games in a short space of time, partly the form of Cargill and Brunt, I personally think Cargill is almost as good as Flint at defending and better on the ball but Brunt had been superb even when moving into midfield so deserved to play.

I think Reed has been off it for a couple of weeks now and woildn't be against us reverting back to a Reed Or Brunt as opposed to both but in my opinion one of them must play, the holding role is a big part of how we set up.

I think if we bring a striker in we'll see a change of system again but that means two of Maris, Clarke, Quinn Lewis or even DKD have to miss out to accommodate everyone else.

It seems unthinkable to leave out DKD but there may come a point soon where it happens.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:54 pm

broomo wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

All fair points Broomo.

Partly the pitch, partly the number of games in a short space of time, partly the form of Cargill and Brunt, I personally think Cargill is almost as good as Flint at defending and better on the ball but Brunt had been superb even when moving into midfield so deserved to play.

I think Reed has been off it for a couple of weeks now and woildn't be against us reverting back to a Reed Or Brunt as opposed to both but in my opinion one of them must play, the holding role is a big part of how we set up.

I think if we bring a striker in we'll see a change of system again but that means two of Maris, Clarke, Quinn Lewis or even DKD have to miss out to accommodate everyone else.

It seems unthinkable to leave out DKD but there may come a point soon where it happens.

Totally agree with you here too.

Brunt would get the nod ahead of Reed but for me DKD would stay up there with hopefully Gregory and Akins on the bench.

The Captains team on this thread would be what is pick too but with as I say hopefully Gregory for Lucas
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:56 pm

No way DKD can be benched.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:57 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:The Reed and Brunt together is a strange one at home....

Pym
Brunt
Lewis Clarke
Maris

DKD Akins

And when we sign the striker we're all crying out for?

How would your line up look then?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:59 pm

If Gregory is signed, he should play instead of Akins. I doubt he will, but that should be the case.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:03 pm

broomo wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:The Reed and Brunt together is a strange one at home....

Pym
Brunt
Lewis Clarke
Maris

DKD Akins

And when we sign the striker we're all crying out for?

How would your line up look then?

Akins to RB Bowery to CB
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:13 pm

DKD in CAM and drop Maris/Lewis.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:19 pm

Maris and DKD must start for me, our biggest goal threats.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:33 pm

lifestags wrote:DKD in CAM and drop Maris/Lewis.

Maris starts in our best side, the question for me is Brunt OR Reed, not both. Midfield for me would be Reed/Brunt sitting, 3 across middle of Quinn, Maris, Clarke, then Akins and DKD. The only issue I had with selection yesterday was I'd have started Clarke ahead of Reed or Brunt.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:35 pm

I think Lewis or Clarke have to play just for a bit of movement off the ball, the four that started yesterday are primarily ball players rather runners.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pm

We need Lewis & Clarke to try to explore a way through opposition's defences.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:10 pm

Look we all remember when Maris was not playing and it didn’t make sense, it still be silly not to play him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:12 pm

I like Maris, I really do, I sometimes think he’s not athletic enough to play week in week out though. He struggles to run. Playing further back he doesn’t need to run as much.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum