{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Desperately seeking Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Desperately seeking Nigel

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:43 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:He was being a mardarse and labouring a point.

you think or know ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:32 pm

It was interesting that usually he shakes hands, waves at the crowd etc when he comes out before the game but at half time when he was walking to the dugouts he completely ignored the crowd and just spoke to Garner walking all the way to the dugout.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:30 pm

Dan wrote:It was interesting that usually he shakes hands, waves at the crowd etc when he comes out before the game but at half time when he was walking to the dugouts he completely ignored the crowd and just spoke to Garner walking all the way to the dugout.

grumpy grump :roll:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:31 pm

This.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:37 am

You, my duck, are probably exactly the sort of hot-wind, always annoyed purple-headed, consistently negative blowhard that Cloughie probably wanted to get a long way from.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:00 am

Are ear plugs the way forward for NC. :shock:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:05 am

Dan wrote:It was interesting that usually he shakes hands, waves at the crowd etc when he comes out before the game but at half time when he was walking to the dugouts he completely ignored the crowd and just spoke to Garner walking all the way to the dugout.

He’s got a chip on his shoulder and I can see why. Every misplaced pass yesterday in the first half was met with loads groans, we are finally selling out week in week out and the atmosphere couldn’t be worse.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:10 am

Atmosphere was like a morgue within seconds of the kick off. I know they scored after 90 seconds, but before that even happened there were a few silly passes and dodgy touches, and the whole crowd seemed as on edge as the players did.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Yes, sat over the Bishop Street side.

Disgraceful. We aren't allowed to.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:39 am

:D we where a ball boy short on that side.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 am

stagmanrob wrote:Atmosphere was like a morgue within seconds of the kick off. I know they scored after 90 seconds, but before that even happened there were a few silly passes and dodgy touches, and the whole crowd seemed as on edge as the players did.

Maybe it's because we'd like to be exhilarated right from the first moment and really go at teams not pass it sideways and back and forth for ten passes or more before we lose it as some speedy opponent nicks it away and attacks us at full pace whilst we all back pedal furiously and hope we can get get back in time? It seems that every home match we, the crowd, are up for it but maybe there's an unwritten law saying we can't go into their area until there's been at least twenty touches? Why do we have to be so respectful of what other teams might do, why don't we just go out and show them what we can do.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:12 am

Perhaps after getting into a row with home fans, being booked and putting his foot through the perspex side panel on the dugout in the last game he had a think. He has been through an intense period of games over Christmas and perhaps just took himself out of the situation.

I am not some sort of acolyte but some of the comments since the loss have been mind blowing and perhaps show why what he did was sensible if it reflects the thoughts of people who sit near him
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:24 am

gazza1988 wrote:Maybe he was over there to see how it would be to have the dugouts over there?

Most likely is he wants to see if he is missing something those behind him were seeing, being at a slightly higher vantage point.
I think he was checking things out over the other sides to permanently get away from the distracting neanderthals.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:46 am

Personally I think that would be a mistake. It’s creating a clear division between himself and the fans, even though it’s just a handful of idiots who are the culprits. Also by going over the other side, you’re letting the idiots win.

Clough has been manager of Derby and Sheffield United where surely he got some stick from behind the dugouts, and surely more than he gets here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:51 am

I think he did it to just get a different point of view.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:00 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Personally I think that would be a mistake. It’s creating a clear division between himself and the fans, even though it’s just a handful of idiots who are the culprits. Also by going over the other side, you’re letting the idiots win.

Clough has been manager of Derby and Sheffield United where surely he got some stick from behind the dugouts, and surely more than he gets here.
I understand criticising the manager, but during a game it is inexcusable and worse still stops the manager doing his job. Thus being counterproductive.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:03 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:Perhaps after getting into a row with home fans, being booked and putting his foot through the perspex side panel on the dugout in the last game he had a think. He has been through an intense period of games over Christmas and perhaps just took himself out of the situation.

I am not some sort of acolyte but some of the comments since the loss have been mind blowing and perhaps show why what he did was sensible if it reflects the thoughts of people who sit near him

He is needed in the dugout full stop. If he moved because of comments from behind then he needs to grow a pair fast.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:26 am

lifestags wrote:I think he did it to just get a different point of view.

be nice if he answered why he did it
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:33 am

chimneyboy wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Perhaps after getting into a row with home fans, being booked and putting his foot through the perspex side panel on the dugout in the last game he had a think. He has been through an intense period of games over Christmas and perhaps just took himself out of the situation.

He is needed in the dugout full stop. If he moved because of comments from behind then he needs to grow a pair fast.

1) why is he? Only one person is allowed in the technical area so not true

2) if is doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting.

My point was as much about his behaviour as that of the morons referred previously
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:37 am

stagmanrob wrote:Atmosphere was like a morgue within seconds of the kick off. I know they scored after 90 seconds, but before that even happened there were a few silly passes and dodgy touches, and the whole crowd seemed as on edge as the players did.

Maybe true stagmanrob but are you surprised with a performance like that?

We cannot give silly goals away like we did when a boot through the ball would have sorted it and we can't keep accepting that our current strikers always face a "world class" goalkeeper every week, we have to start putting, at least, some of the multitude of chances away. Nice football is good to watch but there has to be an end product, if the league table reflected chances made and missed we would be miles clear of the opposition.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:44 am

We used to go a goal down under Flitcroft when trying to go for promotion. Same with Evans before him, and Cox before that in the conference years.

We would get behind them to spur them on. The drum and the Q-Block was born out of that whole ethos.

Personally I think we have been that spoilt by results this season we have lost sight of that two-way street and expect us to entertain and win every week, but if it doesn't go to plan it's all silent and/or stroppy from the stands.
In no profession can you be at your best all the time without fail. Sometimes it needs that bit of motivation from the crowd to be the 12th man.

We were so silent you could hear what the players were shouting to each other from the Upper West.

Home atmospheres are so negative.

No wonder we are better away where we support all game.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:01 pm

stagmanrob wrote:We used to go a goal down under Flitcroft when trying to go for promotion. Same with Evans before him, and Cox before that in the conference years.

We would get behind them to spur them on. The drum and the Q-Block was born out of that whole ethos.

Personally I think we have been that spoilt by results this season we have lost sight of that two-way street and expect us to entertain and win every week, but if it doesn't go to plan it's all silent and/or stroppy from the stands.
In no profession can you be at your best all the time without fail. Sometimes it needs that bit of motivation from the crowd to be the 12th man.

We were so silent you could hear what the players were shouting to each other from the Upper West.

Home atmospheres are so negative.

No wonder we are better away where we support all game.

This sparked the same debate on the Stockport board after we beat them and Dave Wayne has alluded to the same thing on another thread as has Amber Andy.

Andy (who I rarely agree with) and I must sit in a different stadium as I too thought the crowd stay with us yesterday.
It really is a two way thing where uninspiring football littered with mistakes doesn't get the crowd going, Cloughie alluded to it earlier in the season that the play has to inspire the crowd too.

The better away form because of the crowd is an absolutely lazy cop out.
The reason we are better away is the home team is expected by their fans to take the game to us, we then have the quality to exploit the space, teams no longer give us that space at home
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:20 pm

chimneyboy wrote:

So do those who are making these unwanted comments. We are all in this together. Do these idiots want us to fail? What do they gain from it ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:24 pm

He has done this before in the johnstone paint trophy or whatever it’s called now, there have been a couple of times in those games where he has not been there for the first half. I’m sure he would confirm this if asked.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm

As musing has said, he’s managed derby and Sheffield United, with fans sat behind him. There’s no way he moved because of them, he’s done it a couple of times before.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum