{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rhys Oates

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rhys Oates

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:20 pm

Stoney wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Yellaz wrote:We will likely never see him again in a stags shirt. I love his effort rate but he isn’t good enough as a footballer

wow that’s a bit harsh youth

He's not wrong though is he?

i think he is, we will offer him something to
prove himself, it’s how we work these days
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:23 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Stoney wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Yellaz wrote:We will likely never see him again in a stags shirt. I love his effort rate but he isn’t good enough as a footballer

wow that’s a bit harsh youth

He's not wrong though is he?

i think he is, we will offer him something to
prove himself, it’s how we work these days

I love Oates work rate and can agree to an extent that he helps put pressure on the opposition but for the type of player he is 15 goals in 76 games is not good enough. You need better than a 1 in 5 striker.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:54 pm

There is no way we would release a player with a long term injury even if we weren't planning to keep them. If Oates is still out at season end he will be offered a 1 year contract while he recovers.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:34 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:There is no way we would release a player with a long term injury even if we weren't planning to keep them. If Oates is still out at season end he will be offered a 1 year contract while he recovers.

If we go up, surely Oates isn’t good enough for league one.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:26 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:There is no way we would release a player with a long term injury even if we weren't planning to keep them. If Oates is still out at season end he will be offered a 1 year contract while he recovers.

I wasn't suggesting one way or the other, just that we have always looked after players who are injured. I think the PFA wouldn't be very impressed at us releasing a player who was unfit to secure a contract with anybody else. Surely his wages would be covered by insurance anyway while he was injured ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:41 am

Some disgraceful comments in this thread, I really hope he doesn't read it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 am

Typically if he does move on, you just know he'll likely go on to have a full season at his new club completely injury-free, score bucket loads and play out of his skin, and we'll bemoan the fact that it was all down to bad luck and not being able to play lots of games consecutively.

It is the Mansfield striker way.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:59 am

Dan wrote:Some disgraceful comments in this thread, I really hope he doesn't read it.

I couldn’t agree more.

People talking about him as a commodity

The man has just started a family and is probably worried sick about his future enough, have some respect for the guy
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:19 am

Where are the disgraceful comments?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:28 am

Dan wrote:Some disgraceful comments in this thread, I really hope he doesn't read it.

Dan, what do you expect from some of our lot mate?

Oates has given every ounce since first pulling on our shirt. He's not everyone's cup of tea; his finishing is largely abysmal and he picks up injuries like most of us pick up groceries. However, his commitment is without question.

And what do you get on here? The same prats who'd be first to question his commitment are the first to say that he over commits; and they'd be first to say "get rid" because he's always injured from what he naturally puts in. Then - and you know it'd be the case - the same lot would be berating his replacement as being bone idle and not putting in the work rate.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:40 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I wasn't suggesting one way or the other, just that we have always looked after players who are injured. I think the PFA wouldn't be very impressed at us releasing a player who was unfit to secure a contract with anybody else. Surely his wages would be covered by insurance anyway while he was injured ?

Well said Dave, one of the reasons our club are respected in the game, we do not jettison injured players. For example Knowles.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 am

We also benefitted from Harry Charsley being treated in the same way by Everton that meant that he was fit and ready to train when he joined us.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:50 am

The club have been good to Oates, even extend long his contract during a previous long injury spell. The manager talks him up at every opportunity. I can’t see him going anywhere unless he wants to.

I often describe Oates as a whirlwind, he creates chaos wherever he goes, sometimes good, sometimes bad. He’s exciting and frustrating to watch in equal measure.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum