{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jan window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Jan window

Postby oldweststander » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:When Sharpe was hear, all some folk did was slag him off for the transfer windows, and now he's not here, he is the missing piece :lol:

That is very true Musings, as supporters we do not know what goes on behind closed doors in transfer negotiations.

My only real disappointment is not achieving our aim of getting a reliable striker in, the not signing Laps issue doesn't worry me at all.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:When Sharpe was here, all some folk did was slag him off for the transfer windows, and now he's not here, he is the missing piece :lol:

Sharpe’s a big loss for sure. There’s no way Carolyn’s half as good at that job as Sharpe was. Wasn’t it said that Swindon gave Sharpe a call asking him if he wanted to sign Reed? Little things like that are just not going to happen with Carolyn running things.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:44 am

Why's that then cleveland ?
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:45 am

MTFCMusings wrote:When Sharpe was here, all some folk did was slag him off for the transfer windows, and now he's not here, he is the missing piece :lol:

it's hilarious
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:06 am

I’m happy with the window. No real fuss…apart from on here. We’ve had names come in before and upset the team. We’re doing well so far through the season and with the players we have, we should still get over the line imo. One thing is for sure…Good strikers are hard to get in January, unless you pay over the odds. Glad we didn’t.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:12 am

roumour going round we did another deal, yet to go public, not true is it ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:21 am

Amber Andy wrote:
lifestags wrote:Can’t help but feel we have been left 1 short, we had all
January to prepare, time will tell if the gamble pays off.
I feel the same way too. NC said he had great backing from the owners to bring in three with one going out. So that would mean we would have strengthened the squad by two. We have had an attacking mid fielder in and an experienced defender out.

Experienced defender ? Hasn't he spent the majority of his career as a central midfielder ? Even to the extent that Clough was slated for playing him in defence by some on here when results didn't go our way ?
Clough said he had made offers for 3 players, he never said he would bring all 3 in. As has been pointed out, we didn't have space in the squad for 3 unless more went out.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:26 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
I feel the same way too. NC said he had great backing from the owners to bring in three with one going out. So that would mean we would have strengthened the squad by two. We have had an attacking mid fielder in and an experienced defender out.

Experienced defender ? Hasn't he spent the majority of his career as a central midfielder ? Even to the extent that Clough was slated for playing him in defence by some on here when results didn't go our way ?
Clough said he had made offers for 3 players, he never said he would bring all 3 in. As has been pointed out, we didn't have space in the squad for 3 unless more went out.

He did also say he would be happy with 2 in 1 out, which didn't quite happen.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:30 am

Just a couple of observations of deadline day...

We've made a great signing in Tom Nichols, he really could thrive in a Nigel Clough team.

Sheffield Wednesday are, & especially their chairman, the game playing wasters many of us thought they were. They have cut their nose off to spite their face. I feel for Lee Gregory, frozen out for no real reason, apart from the manager didn't fancy playing him. Plus, from what I hear, he wanted to come to us.

The sense of entitlement of some on here is incredible. This is a fourth division football team.

I very much appreciate Broomo's input, looking at the bigger picture, he does try to keep people on here on a level regarding what is happening. In turn the overly entitled ones can't seem to handle it.

Anyway, we can do it this season no doubt! Lets go, Stags!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:33 am

I wanted two in, so a little disappointed we didn't get someone else in to provide fresh impetus.

I wasn't expecting any outgoings, but if we had to lose one then I'd rather it have been O'Toole than Boateng, who has looked ok in the last few cameos and at least brings something different (and finished last seasons in good form). O'Toole would have only been used from the bench IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:41 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I wanted two in, so a little disappointed we didn't get someone else in to provide fresh impetus.

I wasn't expecting any outgoings, but if we had to lose one then I'd rather it have been O'Toole than Boateng, who has looked ok in the last few cameos and at least brings something different (and finished last seasons in good form). O'Toole would have only been used from the bench IMO.

I was surprised he came on last Saturday to be honest but on reflection could it have been to show Wimbledon he could still run and contribute?. It may also be the reason that clear header wasn’t on target (only joking before anyone jumps :D ).

I don’t think he would have got more than a few minutes here during the rest of the season and at his age, he needs to play if he doesn’t want to retire this year.

This is the best outcome for all parties and I wish him well and thank him for his contributions.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:46 am

Beyond The Pale wrote:Just a couple of observations of deadline day...

We've made a great signing in Tom Nichols, he really could thrive in a Nigel Clough team.

Sheffield Wednesday are, & especially their chairman, the game playing wasters many of us thought they were. They have cut their nose off to spite their face. I feel for Lee Gregory, frozen out for no real reason, apart from the manager didn't fancy playing him. Plus, from what I hear, he wanted to come to us.

The sense of entitlement of some on here is incredible. This is a fourth division football team.

I very much appreciate Broomo's input, looking at the bigger picture, he does try to keep people on here on a level regarding what is happening. In turn the overly entitled ones can't seem to handle it.

that's precisely the point. When JR saved us, this remarkable bloke said he wanted championship football and has backed us to the hilt with funds totalling probably millions. We are still rooted to the spot. A couple of months ago I was certain we were going up but that thought has receded somewhat. However you dress this up this was a crappy window for us measured against other contenders. nigel has had several windows, not just this one, to get us a goalscorer and has failed. The buck stops with him. However hes the manager and has forgotten more about football than I know so hopefully I'm worrying unduly.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 am

chimneyboy wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:Just a couple of observations of deadline day...

that's precisely the point. When JR saved us, this remarkable bloke said he wanted championship football and has backed us to the hilt with funds totalling probably millions. We are still rooted to the spot. A couple of months ago I was certain we were going up but that thought has receded somewhat. However you dress this up this was a crappy window for us measured against other contenders. nigel has had several windows, not just this one, to get us a goalscorer and has failed. The buck stops with him. However hes the manager and has forgotten more about football than I know so hopefully I'm worrying unduly.

I think you are being a little unfair here chimney. The previous two windows were exceptional and maybe some thought they would be repeated.

Although this window hasn’t been to the same standard, it is far from disastrous as we’ve brought in a good player whilst also hanging on to our prize assets. In respect of the goal scorer, Nigel no doubt thought he’d done that when he brought Swan in during the summer. I don’t think anyone expected him to fail in the way he has. To then bring in another goal scorer in the January window is almost impossible.

I expect Gregory to join us in the summer and score the goals we need to stay in league one next season.

Yes we are disappointed but the reality is we probably didn’t have much chance to grab a gemstone.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:00 am

oldweststander wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Only at Mansfield Town would you find a club that has spent the time, and the trouble, of getting a player, who has been injured long term, fit, to then send him out on loan when he's achieved that fitness.
This, when there is no pressing need and your main centre half is injured. Pick up a couple more long term injuries at the back (we don't do short term injuries). and we really are scraping the barrel.

Nigel said some weeks ago when refering to Alfies injury situation, when a player gets injured playing for you it's only right you look after that player and get him fit, or words to that effect.

I agree with that.
I don't think that's the issue. The point is we get him fit and then send him out on loan. I just hope that Flint is fit and starts this Saturday.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:02 am

yorkshire stag wrote:should be this, should be that it’s irrelevant now, we have what we have so let’s get behind them starting off by beating the bedwetters Saturday.

Clough will be judged success or failure come the end of the season if we go up or don’t

COYS

Of course we do. But that doesn't mean you have to be happy with the business done this window.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimmy11 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:02 am

So pleased the window is closed and that we have added Tom Nichols to the squad. There is everything to play for as we are in great position. Our promotions are few and far between but I really think this is our year ( especially for yhe younger fans ). C'mon you Stags.
Jimmy11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:13 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He did a great job for us at centre half when he came here. Let's not forget that. He has suffered several injuries since then. Hopefully everyone's optimism about Flint and Hewitt returning to their former selves after injury is correct. I would have kept him as an insurance policy, for the final few months of the season, or brought in a replacement. Swindon have signed three players including McKirdy despite transfer restrictions. Yet we have a generous chairman and have one player in and one player out. I'm not one who is saying the window is a "disaster", however it has been at best average. Anyway enough said, we go with what we've got. :mtfc:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:23 am

I’d imagine most on here would’ve loved LG to come, but i also imagine a great deal would’ve been uneasy had say we been contributing £9k a week or something which isn’t sustainable for a club our size (half a season or not), it’s a sensible approach IMO.

Always going to be disagreements on this, but if we’ve got nichols for say a third of that it’s good business from our part.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:27 am

As predicted by some, we didn't do a lot in the window.

That might not be for lack of trying. What we did do was decent, but a lot could agree we probably should have done more. I'm looking forward to seeing Nichols play I think he could be another player like DKD. Hopefully they bring the best out of each other simultaneously.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Class of 02 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:33 am

Sorry if I've missed something but did Gregory go anywhere in the end?
Class of 02
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:37 am

Class of 02 wrote:Sorry if I've missed something but did Gregory go anywhere in the end?

No. Just a pooed club with a flipping dingbat chairman. He must be livid, well as livid as you can be on £650k a year for not having to do anything.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:44 am

I was really hoping we’d get Gregory, just as everyone else was. He was the number 9 we’ve been missing but also that experienced head that would be such a bonus as we go into the run in. To me it had the feeling of the Ned Kelly signing back in 01/02 and together with Sellars and Murray they pretty much helped drag us over the line.

Wrexham have made a couple of very Wrexham signings with Marriott and Bolton (just typing his name gives me flashbacks to last season), Turns and Kirk as pointed out by Stagsmanrob are two very good signings for Crewe, with Barrow and County also strengthening.

Nicholls is an excellent player and has been a thorn in our backside more than once so I’m very much looking forward to seeing him in a Stags shirt, like everyone else I just hope it’s enough. I think it was GFB who commented earlier that maybe this time the lack of signings might be what helps us over the line and we don’t end up disrupting the balance as we have previously.

I’ve missed a fair chunk of games this season due to health reasons and if we are ever going to get back to the third tier then I can guarantee we are most likely to do it when I’m not able to witness it first hand (it would be a very Mansfield Town thing to do) so I am taking that as a sign that we are going up.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:15 pm

adamstag wrote:I’d imagine most on here would’ve loved LG to come, but i also imagine a great deal would’ve been uneasy had say we been contributing £9k a week or something which isn’t sustainable for a club our size (half a season or not), it’s a sensible approach IMO.

Always going to be disagreements on this, but if we’ve got nichols for say a third of that it’s good business from our part.

If Derby weren’t prepared to do business over Gregory then we certainly weren’t
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:33 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:I’d imagine most on here would’ve loved LG to come, but i also imagine a great deal would’ve been uneasy had say we been contributing £9k a week or something which isn’t sustainable for a club our size (half a season or not), it’s a sensible approach IMO.

If Derby weren’t prepared to do business over Gregory then we certainly weren’t

Exactly.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:53 pm

Gregory isn't fully lost yet, although it's not likely - I'd imagine that there are clubs now looking to settle contracts with players who are leaving at the end of the season to get them off their books and leave the players as free agents. Gregory will either be happy to kick around at home on a Saturday, picking up wages for the rest of the season - or it may be better financially to come to an agreement with Wednesday then get some football in the shop window before the end of the season and essentially get paid twice for it. JJ has probably done that by getting himself in the shop window. So there is still that market available, I know Clough has spoken about free agents in the past.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum