{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jan window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Jan window

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:10 pm

So what would we like Ayios Vassileios to bring us on 7th Jan transfer window?

I'd like an upgrade on Gale up front & an upgrade on Boateng in midfield and an exiting wild card signing because I'm a greedy bugger.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: Greek Orthodox Christmas.

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:24 pm

Who is paying Gale and Boateng's wages while we pay someone else. Who is leaving for the mystery player?

We already have Hartigan out on loan. We must be near the limit of our budget.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:02 pm

Sneag wrote:So what would we like Ayios Vassileios to bring us on 7th Jan transfer window?

I'd like an upgrade on Gale up front & an upgrade on Boateng in midfield and an exiting wild card signing because I'm a greedy bugger.
I think an upgrade on Gale, if we can get him out on loan, is the most be can expect. I have a feeling JJ may go out on loan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:03 pm

A striker would be nice of course, more concerned about losing DKD to be honest. With the season he’s having there’s got to be interest from higher up
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:04 pm

Sneag wrote:So what would we like Ayios Vassileios to bring us on 7th Jan transfer window?

Is Brunt the upgrade on Boateng if Maris and Clarke are both fit because for me I don't see us signing anyone who is going to be better than our first picks in midfield
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:14 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:A striker would be nice of course, more concerned about losing DKD to be honest. With the season he’s having there’s got to be interest from higher up

Fans need to relax regarding DKD. There is not a cat in hells chance the Radford’s sell him in January. You’d be kissing promotion goodbye if you do that.

Even if you get a lot of money for him and use some of the fee to sign a good replacement, the chances of said replacement coming in and playing as well as, and scoring as many goals as DKD does would be very slim.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:42 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Who is paying Gale and Boateng's wages while we pay someone else. Who is leaving for the mystery player?

Who ever takes them on loan presumably.

JJ for the wildcard signing.

We are in the happy position this season where January signings wouldbe 'wants' rather than 'needs', but the time to fix the roof is when the sun is shining.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 am

I'm going to put it out there that we will have no one in and no one out in the January window. Cue meltdown :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:51 am

Dan wrote:I'm going to put it out there that we will have no one in and no one out in the January window. Cue meltdown :lol:

We've done very well so far, we could do a bit better up front sometimes but I wouldn't be against no one leaving and no one coming in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dan wrote:I'm going to put it out there that we will have no one in and no one out in the January window. Cue meltdown :lol:

We've done very well so far, we could do a bit better up front sometimes but I wouldn't be against no one leaving and no one coming in

Whilst I accept that is a very real possibility I fail to understand why we wouldn't want to improve our squad, if we can, to press for an automatic promotion place. We are very good at our best but that doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't be better.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:49 am

I think it's essential in any title race that whenever possible a squad is given a boost.

We don't need a lot, just another option. A fresh body to add that umph; whether that be an exciting youngster (remember what Adam Murray and Matty Piper gave us in 2002) or the addition of a solid performer.

He'll bring someone in, it just might not be until the end of January, maybe.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:16 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:

Is Brunt the upgrade on Boateng if Maris and Clarke are both fit because for me I don't see us signing anyone who is going to be better than our first picks in midfield

I know that Boateng hasn't been brilliant this season, but it's great to have a squad player like that. He'll accept that he's not going to start games because his form hasn't deserved it, so there's not the problem that Clough has to keep shuffling the formation to accommodate him, or risk him requesting a transfer. At the same time, as an experienced player he can fill in well when needed.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:19 am

With the high intensity Oates plays at so is prone to knocks and the seemingly breath of wind injuries Swan gets we need another forward.
More than likely a loaned youngster, wish we could that Mellon lad
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:41 am

Its as plain as a massive wart on the end of a witches nose that we need a forward in January. We cant rely on our midfielders and defenders (like yesterday) to put us in the top three come May, especially as the chances of DKD being here next year are 50/50
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:06 am

DKD is under contract, he cant do anything without the clubs agreement therefore the chances of him leaving before the end of the season are zero. Even if he wanted to go, and the club received a bid that they can barely refuse, they wouldn't allow it. JR wants promotion, DKD leaving reduces that possibility. The only things that are likely to happen in the window is that signings that increase our chances of promotion happen, not reduce it.

Things that are more likely to happen before DKD leaves:

1 - he stays and plays
2 - he'll be sat in the stands till the end of the season, like the club did with DJ
3 - I sign for the club and play upfront
4 - DKD leaves
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:41 am

Reality is everyone around us will strengthen so we will have to try. No signing players for the sake of it but got to jump if the opportunity arises
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:30 am

Marky Mark wrote:DKD is under contract, he cant do anything without the clubs agreement therefore the chances of him leaving before the end of the season are zero. Even if he wanted to go, and the club received a bid that they can barely refuse, they wouldn't allow it. JR wants promotion, DKD leaving reduces that possibility. The only things that are likely to happen in the window is that signings that increase our chances of promotion happen, not reduce it.

Things that are more likely to happen before DKD leaves:

1 - he stays and plays
2 - he'll be sat in the stands till the end of the season, like the club did with DJ
3 - I sign for the club and play upfront
4 - DKD leaves

As we all know being under contract means diddly squat. JR has history of selling if the price is right (CJ) . The only reason DJ wasn’t sold to Walsall is the offer wasn’t big enough. As for the chance of him leaving being zero, that’s a daft statement. The chance of Jennifer Aniston’s dress on my bed sit floor tonight is zero.
Last edited by vicar_jeremiah on Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:38 am

Gale out on loan.

See if we can loan Boateng out and bring in an athletic, combative midfielder to add to the squad. Think that would improve the make up of that department. I know a few will say we have Hartigan out on loan but I don’t think he’s the profile that we should look for as he doesn’t offer us anything we don’t already have.

Another forward option. Probably a target man in case Akins gets injured again. Bowery did a fine job when called upon but he’s pretty much always playing somewhere else. It wouldn’t hurt us to have another option if we can get Gale out.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:39 am

100% a striker coming in in January.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:45 am

Captain Cunno wrote:100% a striker coming in in January.

It just wouldn't be Christmas with a Cunno "100%" rumour :lol:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:02 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:

How do you know, you've only been here since July ;)

Private certainly does have a lot of previous, but I think its extremely likely we'll bring in a striker in January.

Looking forward to Marky playing up front though, reckon he'd give us a good 5 minutes.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:17 pm

Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

Private certainly does have a lot of previous, but I think its extremely likely we'll bring in a striker in January.

Looking forward to Marky playing up front though, reckon he'd give us a good 5 minutes.

brilliant :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:48 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:

brilliant :lol:

It's really not brilliant is it?
It's not my rules that if you decide to have a change of name you start afresh :roll:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:19 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:

Never met the Captain but his predictions are usually spot on, Keep them coming.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Ralphy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:26 pm

Wasn’t there something linking us with Lee Gregory?
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum