{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

O'Toole's injury

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

O'Toole's injury

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:35 am

Anyone know the extent of his latest setback?

Was hoping he would be going out on loan during the January Sales.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Re: O'Toole's injury

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:36 am

yes, see https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1257
There is always a list of all the injuries in the section at the bottom of my report.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:54 am

Out for 4 weeks.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:39 pm

Such a disappointment, was great before we signed him.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:31 pm

I think his contract is up in the summer and seeing as though he has barely been fit enough to play a game over these last 2 years, he won’t be missed. Such a shame as he was phenomenal before he held us to ransom over a long-term contract. We’ve basically been his pension pot, funding his pending retirement.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:22 pm

SeanieStag wrote:I think his contract is up in the summer and seeing as though he has barely been fit enough to play a game over these last 2 years, he won’t be missed. Such a shame as he was phenomenal before he held us to ransom over a long-term contract. We’ve basically been his pension pot, funding his pending retirement.

Players can’t help being injured.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:23 pm

been a real disappointment has JJ, crazy when you cast ya mind back to two years ago at this time he was on fire, real shame for both him & the club
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:45 pm

SeanieStag wrote:I think his contract is up in the summer and seeing as though he has barely been fit enough to play a game over these last 2 years, he won’t be missed. Such a shame as he was phenomenal before he held us to ransom over a long-term contract. We’ve basically been his pension pot, funding his pending retirement.

Do you think that he was wrong to get the best deal for his last club signing?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:09 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:

Do you think that he was wrong to get the best deal for his last club signing?

I think in a world where a large proportion of people are on zero hours contracts, getting paid a vast sum for sitting on your arse for two years isn’t a terrible position to be in.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby diablo » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:04 am

Perhaps a bit harsh , injuries happen
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby eggy » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:51 am

I do feel sorry for JJ, as others have said, he was exactly what we needed when he came in, deserved to go to the highest bidder and can't help getting injured.

On the other hand, I never have much sympathy for the "it's a short career" arguments for how much footballers get paid. They aren't racehorses, they can get another job when they finish playing :lol:
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:24 am

It's a good job he's not a racehorse
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:25 am

Why pick on O"Toole for being injured he came in at the right time and did a job, Perhaps if a player gets injured we could put it in their contract no play no pay.
O"Toole-Hewitt=Kilgour=Quinn=Mclaughlin=Cargill=Clarke=Oates=Johnson=Akins, Swan=Boateng=Maris the list goes on.
Perhaps going back to non-professional players is the answer.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:19 pm

bear 73 wrote:Why pick on O"Toole for being injured he came in at the right time and did a job, Perhaps if a player gets injured we could put it in their contract no play no pay.
O"Toole-Hewitt=Kilgour=Quinn=Mclaughlin=Cargill=Clarke=Oates=Johnson=Akins, Swan=Boateng=Maris the list goes on.

Probably because JJ has barely kicked a ball in 2 years & 2 of his last 3 injuries have occured when he's mananged to trip over team mates in innocuous training ground accidents.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:05 am

Really is a bit of a conundrum with JJ. I cannot see where he fits into our squad now, especially with Hewitt on his way back meaning another defensive spot on the bench taken.

I cannot see anyone gambling on him for a loan either. Unfortunately his wages will be taking up valuable funds for that forward position I feel we need.

very much a shame as JJ was certainly top player on his arrival.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:10 am

bear 73 wrote:Why pick on O"Toole for being injured he came in at the right time and did a job, Perhaps if a player gets injured we could put it in their contract no play no pay.

No player is going to sign a contract with that sort of clause in it. In fact, I'm not sure they even exist.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:08 pm

ParisStag wrote:

No player is going to sign a contract with that sort of clause in it. In fact, I'm not sure they even exist.

Pay as you play contracts used to be a thing. However it is akin to 0 hours contracts,

As for where O'Toole could fit in our system would be DMC but would be way down the pecking order. On the right of the diamond could also be a good shout. he's spent 130 starts as a CM anyway with 52 as AM and 42 as DMC. Probably more like Quinn game-time wise though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum