{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is It Time To Consider Moving Away From Field Mill?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is It Time To Consider Moving Away From Field Mill?

Postby The One » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:07 pm

Can we spend some on stagsnet deco s
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:55 pm

I think it would be a mistake moving the ground outside of Mansfield Town center. The space is there, it just needs to be utilized properly if we were to ever start from scratch.

It could be something special and something really good for the town center in years to come having a brand spanking new stadium on its doorstep.

Imagine in years to come with the two eye sore streets demolished and a Flagship stand and car park in its place.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:44 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:I think it would be a mistake moving the ground outside of Mansfield Town center. The space is there, it just needs to be utilized properly if we were to ever start from scratch.

It could be something special and something really good for the town center in years to come having a brand spanking new stadium on its doorstep.

Imagine in years to come with the two eye sore streets demolished and a Flagship stand and car park in its place.

Hope I wake up from this nightmare soon.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:20 pm

Just time to bump this thread up.

Add a pitch that isn't fit for League standard to the list of reasons why a new ground is the way forward.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby nobby+2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:31 pm

The team may have moved forward but the ground and facilities have not
nobby+2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:51 pm

Do not move the ground to a place devoid of even less atmosphere. Spurs and Arsenal have moved to less intimidating places. Both devoid of a good atmosphere.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:53 pm

Yes but a least the can get a decent pie or hotdogs.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:05 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Do not move the ground to a place devoid of even less atmosphere. Spurs and Arsenal have moved to less intimidating places. Both devoid of a good atmosphere.

Arsenal was never intimidating. :lol:

West Ham on the other hand. :shock:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:06 pm

oldweststander wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:I think it would be a mistake moving the ground outside of Mansfield Town center. The space is there, it just needs to be utilized properly if we were to ever start from scratch.

Hope I wake up from this nightmare soon.

You mean Stagsnet?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:06 pm

Sneag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Do not move the ground to a place devoid of even less atmosphere. Spurs and Arsenal have moved to less intimidating places. Both devoid of a good atmosphere.

Highbury was massively atmospheric though
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:08 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Yes but a least the can get a decent pie or hotdogs.

You can’t moan about the team so you moan about the pies in two separate posts. What a man!
We clearly have a problem with the pitch . I think the pies are ok
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Like Spurs IMO a quiet crowd and fickle as they come.

Depends what you mmean by atmospheric I suppose, Upton Park was down right scary.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby pinXton8oy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:13 pm

I have watched the Stags at Field Mill and One call stadium for 72 years this year and have been a season ticket holder on and off for more than 30 years I think.
On the subject of poor drainage, I remember that, in the days of Ken Wagstaff and Roy Chapman, we had a Monday evening game at home to Lincoln City. We had torrential rain all that day and I rang the club at about 4:30 pm fearing that the game would be called off. I was laughed at . They said of course it's not off. I went to the game in still pouring rain and it was not even muddy and a really good playing surface.
The pitch was in the same place as it is now.
I strongly believe that Haslam developed the stadium on the cheap and that the construction of the Quarry lane stand blocked the drains which ran underneath it.
Is it possible to check if this is indeed the case and if so would it be possible to remove the blockage without disturbing the foundations of the stand?
pinXton8oy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PaulG » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:57 pm

Its an interesting point about whether the rebuild compromised the playing surface's drainage, but I, too, have supported the Stags since Waggy's day, and can only say that the conditions in which matches went ahead during the 60's, 70's and 80's haven't been tolerated in professional football for the last 30 years or more. Back in the day, there was no grass down the centre of the pitch by this stage of the season, and many matches were played on what would now be considered a quagmire. Snow was simply rolled flat, and the touchlines painted yellow or blue. That part of the Quarry Lane end closest to the scoreboard was regularly waterlogged, so effectively ignored by the players. So a touch of heavy rain rarely put a match at risk. Frozen pitches, however, have always been deemed unplayable. Snow was left on the pitch rather than cleared, because it protected the playing surface from frost. I'm not suggesting that the approach 40-odd years ago or more should be returned to. The standard of football has improved immeasurably , in part because of improved surfaces. But increased concern for the quality of the playing surface leads inevitably to postponements.
Last point; there are some on here say postponements are embarrassing and make us look amateurish. Well, take a look at the leaky roofs at some of the biggest Premier League clubs (Chelsea and Manchester United spring to mind). Listen to Sunderland fans this week. We can all find ways in which our clubs are imperfect, but we're a hell of a sight better off than most with the Radfords at the helm.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:02 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Exactly. Clubs like Liverpool have done it right…try building on where your history is. Most new grounds are devoid of any real atmosphere/intimidation etc…look at the noise from the Kop at Palace produces. We need to find a way…at FM. Doncaster’s ground looks good, but also looks like a lot of others. I loved our trip to Newcastle in the cup…proper ground and fantastic noise.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:20 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Exactly. Clubs like Liverpool have done it right…try building on where your history is. Most new grounds are devoid of any real atmosphere/intimidation etc…look at the noise from the Kop at Palace produces. We need to find a way…at FM. Doncaster’s ground looks good, but also looks like a lot of others. I loved our trip to Newcastle in the cup…proper ground and fantastic noise.

I preferred scunnyaway when the old showground was in place ,now that ground was beautiful matching stands give me old grounds every time
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:23 pm

Costastag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I preferred scunnyaway when the old showground was in place ,now that ground was beautiful

In fact think it was the ground where i got my first good hiding in oh happy days
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:07 pm

It's debatable if Spurs have moved ground at all. Just redeveloped in one hit.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:09 pm

ST4GS wrote:
It's debatable if Spurs have moved ground at all. Just redeveloped in one hit.

Only a few feet but it's definitely a new site.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:39 am

Half of Spurs new ground is on the site of the old White Hart Lane :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag88 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:29 am

Has anybody thought at looking at the grounds team? I know people will moan but not passing a home inspection in 15 years is a bit embarrassing. Often games getting cancelled which is a pain for fans and will be a nightmare when we are playing 2/3 games a week at the end of the season.
Nottsstag88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:29 am

Nottsstag88 wrote:Has anybody thought at looking at the grounds team? I know people will moan but not passing a home inspection in 15 years is a bit embarrassing. Often games getting cancelled which is a pain for fans and will be a nightmare when we are playing 2/3 games a week at the end of the season.

Is that a definite fact ?
If so, then I suppose there are 2 ways of looking at it.
The negative one is to say the grounds team are poor as we never pass an inspection.
Or maybe the grounds team are so good that our pitch doesn't need inspecting when others are border line, and is only ever inspected when the conditions are so dire that nobody could have got the game on.

PS Welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join and then have a dig at the groundsman on 2 separate threads !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:52 am

We don't want to move away, we just want the place to work properly.

The wish list:

4 sided stadium
A pitch that drains, doesn't freeze, and doesn't chop up.
Adequate Toilets
Bars with faster service
Better food

Anything missed?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:55 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:We don't want to move away, we just want the place to work properly.

The wish list:

4 sided stadium
Adequate Toilets
Bars with faster service
Better food

Anything missed?

Gabbitas gate stays open
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:We don't want to move away, we just want the place to work properly.

The wish list:

4 sided stadium
Adequate Toilets
Bars with faster service
Better food

Anything missed?

I realiise that our toilet facilities are limited, but how many toilets do people think a football ground should have. There are regulations around toilet numbers in public venues, so ours must meet the minimum requirements or the stadium wouldn't be allowed to open. The problem is that those regulations are for all venues, and most places don't have the majority of customers wanting to use the facilities in a 15 minute window. We have to queue to use toilets at most away grounds during the half time break, so why do people feel it's worse at home games ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum