{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

David Sharpe leaves Mansfield town

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: David Sharpe leaves Mansfield town

Postby Compsec » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:57 am

Twice. He was the same the second time. Just less tears.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:03 am

Compsec wrote:I've got to know David personally over the years. Originally, we agreed to play a round of golf to discuss his floodlight plan for the club. We were having a very insightful chat about it, his thinking behind the change and it was clear that Sharpe has not only a razor sharp commercial mind but also a football brain. Unfortunately, that day was blighted by a series of unfortunate incidents which really would have to be seen to be believed.

David is a keen golfer and, I have to say, hits the ball majestically off the tee. At first, I thought I was playing with an ex-pro, but then, things took a turn for the worse on a tough par 4 when Sharpe found sand. Instantly, his demeanour changed. No longer was he happy-go-lucky; he'd suddenly become very tense, almost like he'd zoned out. He then proceeded to take 4 shots to get out of the sand. I said nothing, not knowing where to look for fear of losing the interview. But then, at the very next hole, he found sand again. I held my breath for what was about to happen. He thinned it into a field, dropped another ball back in the sand (it plugged) and then had 6 almighty swipes, none of which exited the ball from the trap. He then just walked in without so much as a goodbye.

I found him sobbing in the clubhouse. Feeling like we'd connected, I approached him and he just erupted, confessing that he found the stresses of League 2 football and the upcoming marriage to his beautiful girlfriend to be childs-play compared to how he feels when he gets in a bunker. He said he loves golf but his sand play is ruining his life.

Last I heard, he takes 2 lessons a week to try an exorcise these demons, but as yet, no to avail. I do wonder if this has caused him to quit the club? I know it sounds implausible, but he was obsessed. Mansfield will miss him - I assure you, he's a good guy. Not the most interesting man you'll ever meet, but a definite good guy.

I'm not sure if that's an attempt at a made-up comedy story or genuine.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Suttonian » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:05 am

Compsec wrote:
David is a keen golfer and, I have to say, hits the ball majestically off the tee. At first, I thought I was playing with an ex-pro, but then, things took a turn for the worse on a tough par 4 when Sharpe found sand. Instantly, his demeanour changed. No longer was he happy-go-lucky; he'd suddenly become very tense, almost like he'd zoned out. He then proceeded to take 4 shots to get out of the sand. I said nothing, not knowing where to look for fear of losing the interview. But then, at the very next hole, he found sand again. I held my breath for what was about to happen. He thinned it into a field, dropped another ball back in the sand (it plugged) and then had 6 almighty swipes, none of which exited the ball from the trap. He then just walked in without so much as a goodbye.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tE9cGM5IxUI

The old ones are the best
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Compsec » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:10 am

I’m not sure why anyone would make up a story about someone’s repeated inability to get out of a bunker. It would be funnier if it were not true.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:19 am

Compsec wrote:I’m not sure why anyone would make up a story about someone’s repeated inability to get out of a bunker. It would be funnier if it were not true.

I just found the sobbing about a game of golf a bit far-fetched.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:20 am

That is without a doubt the greatest post I’ve ever seen on this site :lol:

And also completely relatable. Who thought it was a good idea to put sand out there?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Compsec » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 am

Ok - I admit that ‘sobbing’ was perhaps an exaggeration. There were definitely wet eyes but I think it was more just him expressing himself at having the game he clearly loves ruined by this one challenge.

I would like to repeat, that for the most part, the rest of his golf game is imperious. Which is probably why he gets so upset after a sand incident. I’m guessing here - I’ve never actually put this question to him directly.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:33 am

Compsec wrote:Ok - I admit that ‘sobbing’ was perhaps an exaggeration. There were definitely wet eyes but I think it was more just him expressing himself at having the game he clearly loves ruined by this one challenge.

I would like to repeat, that for the most part, the rest of his golf game is imperious. Which is probably why he gets so upset after a sand incident. I’m guessing here - I’ve never actually put this question to him directly.

It’s enough to test anyones patience to be fair
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:42 am

Gary Brazil has not had his contact renewed at Nottingham Forest as head of Academy but has C.E.O. Capabilities. Would he be an adequate replacement?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:34 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Compsec wrote:Ok - I admit that ‘sobbing’ was perhaps an exaggeration. There were definitely wet eyes but I think it was more just him expressing himself at having the game he clearly loves ruined by this one challenge.

It’s enough to test anyones patience to be fair

I’ve learned in 35+ years to just avoid the bloody things!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:52 pm

Compsec wrote:I've got to know David personally over the years. Originally, we agreed to play a round of golf to discuss his floodlight plan for the club. We were having a very insightful chat about it, his thinking behind the change and it was clear that Sharpe has not only a razor sharp commercial mind but also a football brain. Unfortunately, that day was blighted by a series of unfortunate incidents which really would have to be seen to be believed.

I found him sobbing in the clubhouse. Feeling like we'd connected, I approached him and he just erupted, confessing that he found the stresses of League 2 football and the upcoming marriage to his beautiful girlfriend to be childs-play compared to how he feels when he gets in a bunker. He said he loves golf but his sand play is ruining his life.

Last I heard, he takes 2 lessons a week to try an exorcise these demons, but as yet, no to avail. I do wonder if this has caused him to quit the club? I know it sounds implausible, but he was obsessed. Mansfield will miss him - I assure you, he's a good guy. Not the most interesting man you'll ever meet, but a definite good guy.
And here's me thinking golf only ruined a good walk :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:57 pm

Over the passage of many seasons, I've been given the privilege of knowing David in a manner most personal. Initially, our camaraderie was founded on a quaint round of golf to deliberate over his luminary plan for the club. Amid the gentle rustling of leaves and the soft clicks of our clubs, we found ourselves deeply engaged in intellectual discourse. It was an enlightening exchange indeed, revealing Sharpe's keen business acumen, finely honed over the years, as well as his profound understanding of the beautiful game of football. Alas, that sun-kissed day would prove to be under a stormy shadow, marred by a series of misfortunes so uncanny they would need to be seen to be truly grasped.

David, a devotee of the gentleman's game, possesses a swing that is nothing short of majestic, launching the ball with commanding grace from the tee. For a moment, I found myself beguiled, half-convinced I was in the company of a seasoned professional. However, the illusion was shattered as abruptly as it was crafted. On the treacherous grounds of a challenging par 4, Sharpe's ball found itself ensnared in the unforgiving clutches of a sand trap.

His previously jovial countenance, as serene as a tranquil lake, distorted into a mask of tension. His eyes narrowed and his gaze turned inwards as though locked into an unseen battlefield. As if caught in a maddening cycle, it took him four beleaguered attempts to free the ball from the sandy clutches. I maintained my silence, averting my gaze out of respect for his struggle, apprehensive of jeopardising our burgeoning rapport. The cruel sands of fate, however, hadn't finished their jest, and at the succeeding hole, he once again found his ball imprisoned.

What ensued could only be likened to a tragic dance of despair. His swings, once fluid and confident, now bore the marks of desperation, each swipe failing to liberate the ball from its sandy prison. Finally, without uttering a single word of farewell, he departed the course, leaving behind the echoes of his frustration.

I found him later, ensconced in the solitude of the clubhouse, his body racked with sobs. Sensing a bond between us, I ventured towards him, only to witness the dam of his restraint shatter. He confessed that the pressures of managing a League 2 football team and preparing for nuptials with his radiant fiancee paled in comparison to the terror he faced within the confines of a golf bunker. He professed a love for golf, yet his struggles with sand play were slowly consuming his joy for the game.

The latest news of David reports that he's now committing to two lessons a week, seeking to banish the phantoms that torment him on the course. Alas, it seems the demons have yet to relent. I ponder if this peculiar dilemma may have coerced him into relinquishing his position at the club. While it may appear far-fetched, David's obsession was palpable. Mansfield will feel the void left by his departure - I can vouch for his character. Perhaps not the most intriguing of gentlemen you might encounter, but a man of commendable virtue nonetheless.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Compsec with unironically, one of the funniest things I've ever read on Stagsnet
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:38 pm

Random Hero wrote:

Over the passage of many seasons, I've been given the privilege of knowing David in a manner most personal. Initially, our camaraderie was founded on a quaint round of golf to deliberate over his luminary plan for the club. Amid the gentle rustling of leaves and the soft clicks of our clubs, we found ourselves deeply engaged in intellectual discourse. It was an enlightening exchange indeed, revealing Sharpe's keen business acumen, finely honed over the years, as well as his profound understanding of the beautiful game of football. Alas, that sun-kissed day would prove to be under a stormy shadow, marred by a series of misfortunes so uncanny they would need to be seen to be truly grasped.

David, a devotee of the gentleman's game, possesses a swing that is nothing short of majestic, launching the ball with commanding grace from the tee. For a moment, I found myself beguiled, half-convinced I was in the company of a seasoned professional. However, the illusion was shattered as abruptly as it was crafted. On the treacherous grounds of a challenging par 4, Sharpe's ball found itself ensnared in the unforgiving clutches of a sand trap.

His previously jovial countenance, as serene as a tranquil lake, distorted into a mask of tension. His eyes narrowed and his gaze turned inwards as though locked into an unseen battlefield. As if caught in a maddening cycle, it took him four beleaguered attempts to free the ball from the sandy clutches. I maintained my silence, averting my gaze out of respect for his struggle, apprehensive of jeopardising our burgeoning rapport. The cruel sands of fate, however, hadn't finished their jest, and at the succeeding hole, he once again found his ball imprisoned.

What ensued could only be likened to a tragic dance of despair. His swings, once fluid and confident, now bore the marks of desperation, each swipe failing to liberate the ball from its sandy prison. Finally, without uttering a single word of farewell, he departed the course, leaving behind the echoes of his frustration.

I found him later, ensconced in the solitude of the clubhouse, his body racked with sobs. Sensing a bond between us, I ventured towards him, only to witness the dam of his restraint shatter. He confessed that the pressures of managing a League 2 football team and preparing for nuptials with his radiant fiancee paled in comparison to the terror he faced within the confines of a golf bunker. He professed a love for golf, yet his struggles with sand play were slowly consuming his joy for the game.

The latest news of David reports that he's now committing to two lessons a week, seeking to banish the phantoms that torment him on the course. Alas, it seems the demons have yet to relent. I ponder if this peculiar dilemma may have coerced him into relinquishing his position at the club. While it may appear far-fetched, David's obsession was palpable. Mansfield will feel the void left by his departure - I can vouch for his character. Perhaps not the most intriguing of gentlemen you might encounter, but a man of commendable virtue nonetheless.

Byron, lives among us!
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Compsec » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:08 pm

Simply wonderful. I’m very impressed.

I feel both versions really capture the nature of the situation. Mine from 2023, yours from the 1870s but nonetheless, with such genuine and talented elegance.

I don’t really know what else to say, other than, clearly, we both have far too much time on our hands.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 pm

I would absolutely love it if he came out with a statement to say he's quit the Stags to live on the golf course every day and will be back as soon as he's mastered his sand wedge.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:16 am

Golf is tough. One day it all clicks and it's :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The next time at the same course it's as though you have never played before and it's :cry: :cry:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:39 am

Had a chat with the Stags main man during golf. He was giving it large until he ballsed it in t' bunker. Smacked it 'bout 4 times but wouldn't budge. I couldn't look for laughing. Next hole, same again. The bloke had a brain fart. Luckily he ran away before he had his pants pulled down. Went for a liquid lunch later, not as cheap as 'Spoons but it'll do. Saw him blubbing like a baby in the corner. I went over to ask him to buy me a pint. Like I said, the place was pricey. I couldn't get a word in, he was giving it the old 'poor me' just because he couldn't handle his ball. Said it was the one thing ruining his perfect life. He was boring the tits off me to be honest and I couldn't wait to get away. On the way out, I saw some half empties on the table so I helped me sen to them and kept me wallet in me trousers.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Random Hero » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:06 am

SeanieStag wrote:Had a chat with the Stags main man during golf. He was giving it large until he ballsed it in t' bunker. Smacked it 'bout 4 times but wouldn't budge. I couldn't look for laughing. Next hole, same again. The bloke had a brain fart. Luckily he ran away before he had his pants pulled down. Went for a liquid lunch later, not as cheap as 'Spoons but it'll do. Saw him blubbing like a baby in the corner. I went over to ask him to buy me a pint. Like I said, the place was pricey. I couldn't get a word in, he was giving it the old 'poor me' just because he couldn't handle his ball. Said it was the one thing ruining his perfect life. He was boring the tits off me to be honest and I couldn't wait to get away. On the way out, I saw some half empties on the table so I helped me sen to them and kept me wallet in me trousers.

Beats mine :lol:
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:06 pm

People cry about golf?

Football is the only sport worth crying about.

And possibly cricket… if we’re talking tears of boredom.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby SeanieStag » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:14 pm

Random Hero wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:Had a chat with the Stags main man during golf. He was giving it large until he ballsed it in t' bunker. Smacked it 'bout 4 times but wouldn't budge. I couldn't look for laughing. Next hole, same again. The bloke had a brain fart. Luckily he ran away before he had his pants pulled down. Went for a liquid lunch later, not as cheap as 'Spoons but it'll do. Saw him blubbing like a baby in the corner. I went over to ask him to buy me a pint. Like I said, the place was pricey. I couldn't get a word in, he was giving it the old 'poor me' just because he couldn't handle his ball. Said it was the one thing ruining his perfect life. He was boring the tits off me to be honest and I couldn't wait to get away. On the way out, I saw some half empties on the table so I helped me sen to them and kept me wallet in me trousers.

Beats mine :lol:

They were some of the funniest things I've ever read on here. Everyone take a bow.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Compsec » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:51 pm

Just a quick update.

David is fine and well. Now married. It was a lovely wedding.

We’ve played golf many times since and are now firm friends. He plays for fun now and when he gets in a bunker, he just picks it up. Says it’s just not worth the hassle anymore.

I know he wishes the club a great season and a strong finish.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robeyre » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:07 pm

Compsec wrote:Just a quick update.

David is fine and well. Now married. It was a lovely wedding.

We’ve played golf many times since and are now firm friends. He plays for fun now and when he gets in a bunker, he just picks it up. Says it’s just not worth the hassle anymore.

I know he wishes the club a great season and a strong finish.

Good post.
I notice he's proved all the conspiracy theorists wrong. Certainly not done an Evans in China.
Wish him all the luck in the future
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HU7stag » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 pm

Ditto, wish him all the best.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:32 pm