{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

David Sharpe leaves Mansfield town

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: David Sharpe leaves Mansfield town

Postby Aspleystag » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:17 pm

Whatever the business you don’t keep someone on who doesn’t want to be there, it’s obvious his mind is elsewhere, so as much as we don’t want to lose him, it is better he goes now, with time to replace him before the season starts.CR is more than equipped to do the job with a bit of help, so onwards and upwards, thanks DS for your service.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:26 pm

Could just be JR and CR are getting more involved and DS is now just surplus to requirements?

Not necessarily a case of Sharpe not wanting to be here, just he isn't needed here?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:59 pm

When Carolyn has been CEO, the purse strings have been loosened a little (Flitcroft and Evans springs to mind)

She has always gone on about the Bishop Street end being an eyesore and wanting it sorted too.

She likes to spend, that's evident. Might not necessarily be a bad thing as long as she doesn't leave John skint.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:12 pm

stagmanrob wrote:When Carolyn has been CEO, the purse strings have been loosened a little (Flitcroft and Evans springs to mind)

She has always gone on about the Bishop Street end being an eyesore and wanting it sorted too.

She likes to spend, that's evident. Might not necessarily be a bad thing as long as she doesn't leave John skint.

The Carolyn Radford Stand to look across from Mate, seen worse views
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:22 pm

scotsstag wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:That's a shame. Good luck david.

Id rather the Radfords show an interest again than have a CEO though personally.

But the Radford’s haven’t got a footballing brain.

How exactly has Sharpe got a better one ?

He’s been around the game and he knows what’s what. He has more idea than the Radfords. Radfords got rid of Flitcroft and replaced him with Dempster.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:28 pm

stagmanrob wrote:When Carolyn has been CEO, the purse strings have been loosened a little (Flitcroft and Evans springs to mind)

She was made CEO in 2011. Until Sharpe joined as Director of football in May 2020 to then take over as CEO when they went to Portugal in September 2020. She became co-chairperson and returned as CEO today.

She was CEO for Paul Cox, Adam Murray, Steve Evans, David Flitcroft, John Dempster, and part of Graham Coughlan.

Once in the league under Cox and Murray I don't think the purse strings were "loose".
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:52 pm

I couldn’t care less about this one…he did his job well and he’s now gone. I don’t think we’re in a better or worse situation with him leaving tbh.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:54 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

She was made CEO in 2011. Until Sharpe joined as Director of football in May 2020 to then take over as CEO when they went to Portugal in September 2020. She became co-chairperson and returned as CEO today.

She was CEO for Paul Cox, Adam Murray, Steve Evans, David Flitcroft, John Dempster, and part of Graham Coughlan.

Once in the league under Cox and Murray I don't think the purse strings were "loose".

Purse strings were more than loose under Cox the season before. We had a massive budget to escape that league. It could be cut back once there because we had TV money that we weren't getting before. It was clearly planned out that way.

Murray was a stop-gap, a new inexperienced manager who did wonders with a cut back budget, signing arguably some of our best players that stayed on for managers afterwards.

But you can't argue we have spent with Carolyn at the helm like when she goes into Harrods with her American Express card.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:18 pm

Good luck to David Sharpe, his tenure has been positive and I personally liked the way he conducted himself, he is considered a good operator from what I have heard.

I’m hoping for a more low key Carolyn than we have experienced previously, she obviously knows the job well having done it for a number of years.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Good luck to David Sharpe, his tenure has been positive and I personally liked the way he conducted himself, he is considered a good operator from what I have heard.

I’m hoping for a more low key Carolyn than we have experienced previously, she obviously knows the job well having done it for a number of years.

Agreed, please don’t turn up at FGR in a helicopter again, out of touch and embarrassing.
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Good luck to David Sharpe, his tenure has been positive and I personally liked the way he conducted himself, he is considered a good operator from what I have heard.

Is Carolyn returning to the role ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:43 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Purse strings were more than loose under Cox the season before. We had a massive budget to escape that league. It could be cut back once there because we had TV money that we weren't getting before. It was clearly planned out that way.

Murray was a stop-gap, a new inexperienced manager who did wonders with a cut back budget, signing arguably some of our best players that stayed on for managers afterwards.

But you can't argue we have spent with Carolyn at the helm like when she goes into Harrods with her American Express card.

Since Evans took over the budget has increased year on year. Not sure what the accounts would show for the pandemic season though. I'd assume player expenditure isn't just basic wage and includes player performance related bonuses?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Yes, it was mentioned in the article on the main site.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:22 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:

Id rather the Radfords show an interest again than have a CEO though personally.

He’s been around the game and he knows what’s what. He has more idea than the Radfords. Radfords got rid of Flitcroft and replaced him with Dempster.

Please tell me his achievements in football and how "he knows what's what" ?
Flitcroft failed twice with a huge budget, the decision was correct but replacement wrong...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:47 pm

Ethers1979 wrote:

Agreed, please don’t turn up at FGR in a helicopter again, out of touch and embarrassing.

I would do it just to pee off their chairman. :lol:
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yes, it was mentioned in the article on the main site.
Thanks Musings for info.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:16 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Ethers1979 wrote:

I would do it just to pee off their chairman. :lol:

Eating a kfc.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Good luck to David Sharpe.

Just hope it's not a Stev Evans situation. Runs the family business in July and then becomes CEO at another club.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:30 pm

scotsstag wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:

Please tell me his achievements in football and how "he knows what's what" ?
Flitcroft failed twice with a huge budget, the decision was correct but replacement wrong...

Two promotions with Wigan straight off the top of my head. Ironically one with Chesterfield's current manager, and the other with their former manager.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:30 pm

sunray wrote:Good luck to David Sharpe.

Just hope it's not a Stev Evans situation. Runs the family business in July and then becomes CEO at another club.

Is it the Chinese branch of the family business? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:42 pm

Really surprised at a few comments about sharpe being a tory or a traitor and the radfords dodging tax apparently? (maybe so?) these folk happen to remember haslam?
Last edited by adamstag on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:15 pm

Not even remotely bothered by this, good luck to him, he did an OK job but absolutely nothing he'll be remembered for. Meh.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:03 am

I think David Sharpe did a very good job, a job that generally goes unnoticed unless they upset someone.
The club is far more financially self supporting these days and Nigel has stated David has a wide range of contacts in the game, often it's a case of who you know etc that can be an advantage.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Compsec » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:49 am

I've got to know David personally over the years. Originally, we agreed to play a round of golf to discuss his floodlight plan for the club. We were having a very insightful chat about it, his thinking behind the change and it was clear that Sharpe has not only a razor sharp commercial mind but also a football brain. Unfortunately, that day was blighted by a series of unfortunate incidents which really would have to be seen to be believed.

David is a keen golfer and, I have to say, hits the ball majestically off the tee. At first, I thought I was playing with an ex-pro, but then, things took a turn for the worse on a tough par 4 when Sharpe found sand. Instantly, his demeanour changed. No longer was he happy-go-lucky; he'd suddenly become very tense, almost like he'd zoned out. He then proceeded to take 4 shots to get out of the sand. I said nothing, not knowing where to look for fear of losing the interview. But then, at the very next hole, he found sand again. I held my breath for what was about to happen. He thinned it into a field, dropped another ball back in the sand (it plugged) and then had 6 almighty swipes, none of which exited the ball from the trap. He then just walked in without so much as a goodbye.

I found him sobbing in the clubhouse. Feeling like we'd connected, I approached him and he just erupted, confessing that he found the stresses of League 2 football and the upcoming marriage to his beautiful girlfriend to be childs-play compared to how he feels when he gets in a bunker. He said he loves golf but his sand play is ruining his life.

Last I heard, he takes 2 lessons a week to try an exorcise these demons, but as yet, no to avail. I do wonder if this has caused him to quit the club? I know it sounds implausible, but he was obsessed. Mansfield will miss him - I assure you, he's a good guy. Not the most interesting man you'll ever meet, but a definite good guy.
Compsec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:56 am

Have you just done a post longer than a Sweden stag match preview to tell us all you once played golf with David Sharpe
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum