{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Academy keeper transferred to Leicester

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Academy keeper transferred to Leicester

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:18 pm

"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Re: Academy keeper transferred to Leicester

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:24 pm

I don't anything about this young lad so any information will be interesting but another thing that seems to demonstrate the positivity around the academy. Those heavily involved should righfully be very proud of what is happening over there.
In these days, a patient approach to development is not easy to sell but it seems to be paying off
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:48 pm

I always thought the purpose of an academy was to produce home grown players who get into the 1st team, play a couple of seasons with us (hopefully aiding ours and their progress) and then if achieving great things are then sold on for a good profit....
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the function of an academy..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:57 pm

scotsstag wrote:I always thought the purpose of an academy was to produce home grown players who get into the 1st team, play a couple of seasons with us (hopefully aiding ours and their progress) and then if achieving great things are then sold on for a good profit....

You make it sound so easy :lol:

That is the idea but when the bigger teams come after your young players you don't have a chance. Look at Ampadu and Liam Delap, they were basically just taken by Chelsea and City.

We might get some money out of this if he goes on to be a decent player. Guess it's easier to moan about a 14 year old who you didn't even know played for us until today going on to bigger things :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm

scotsstag wrote:I always thought the purpose of an academy was to produce home grown players who get into the 1st team, play a couple of seasons with us (hopefully aiding ours and their progress) and then if achieving great things are then sold on for a good profit....

It works in two ways with clubs at our level from what I understand. There are some players who are deemed so good at a young age that they need to be at a top level. Leicester City have a Cat one academy which is the highest level. In return for developing a fourteen year old, it appears that we are receiving some money now and will have payments in the future depending on how successful he is. So that means that the club gets money now which will keep the academy going financially. The rest of the academy players will develop and hopefully produce a group of players who will come through to the first team over time. It seems a sensible balance on a financial level and also from the needs of a youngster who is particularly talented (which one would imagine Marson is)

I also presume that this approach prevents more kids from signing up to big clubs at a very young age - i taught a kid years ago who drove from Retford to Thorp Arch three times a week which was exhausting for him
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Isn't there some bizarre ruling that if a club in the Prem (which obviously Leicester aren't now) can cherry pick academy players from EFL clubs, or is that a myth?

**Seems like George kinda answered this**
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:27 pm

Did we not 'sell' a young Academy GK to Everton last season too ???

Good Luck to the young lads !!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:30 pm

https://www.leathesprior.co.uk/news/epp ... mpensation

That lists the compensation values for each year

There used to be money due every 10 appearances the play made in a professional league along with sell on % clauses but not 100% it is still there

https://jobs4football.com/how-does-the- ... stem-work/ that's a 4 year old article which has the old compensation values the above link refers to.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:28 pm

I posted this in January 2021

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Academy players can still be poached until they sign a professional contract. The amount of compensation is also decided by a fixed formula. You receive more money if you have Cat 2 status. Peterborough have just had to sell a 13 year old goalkeeper to Aston Villa for £100,000.

"Peterborough United have sold their highly-rated 13 year-old goalkeeper Sam Proctor to Premier League Aston Villa. It’s understood Posh have received the maximum permitted £100k for Proctor. This will rise to £150k if Proctor signs a professional deal at Villa Park. Posh would have received a bigger fee if they had been confirmed as an Academy 2 centre. That should happen in 2021. Proctor, who hails from Boston, has been at the Posh Academy since he was eight. He was originally an outfield player. He was selected to attend an England Under 15 training camp at St George’s Park between December 19/21."

This is further evidence of the fact that Premier League and top Championship clubs can just hoover up and stockpile all the best youth prospects. The vast majority of these will end up being released and having to drop down the leagues. I bought an Arsenal programme a few seasons ago on a visit to the Emirates Stadium and there were over 100 players listed in the first team, Premier League 2, U21, U20, U19, U18 squads.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:07 pm

Johnny H wrote:Did we not 'sell' a young Academy GK to Everton last season too ???

Good Luck to the young lads !!

no. It was posted here, but not correct:
viewtopic.php?p=989965#p989965
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:16 pm

Thanks chaps for the informative answers, seems like I've been living in an ideal world :) :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:37 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:46 pm

scotsstag wrote:Thanks chaps for the informative answers, seems like I've been living in an ideal world :) :lol:

Your world is the right one but the Premier League comes first :cry:
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:45 pm

No we didn’t sell a keeper to Everton .
We have had players looked at by Leeds United and Liverpool so that might be where that’s from .
On Freddie Marson the deal was actually done while Leicester were still in the premier league .It has been ongoing for a while now .
We have to look at what’s best for the young player and it’s easy for him to travel in to training which was a key factor and good luck to the lad .
Financially it helps run the academy and we make sure that this part of the club I run does not have any impact on club finances .
If the lad actually plays for Leicester we get further payments in line with EPPP criteria so we will have a keen interest on how he developes
We wish Freddie all the best at Leicester and the negotiations were very smooth with all parties .
Up the stags !
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:13 pm

On a slightly different note, over the M1 in Chesterfield, their academy (if you can even really call it that) face an uncertain future with kids of folk I know there not knowing whether they even have training coming up or whether they have to re-trial to be included. Even the coaches there are uncertain of their futures.
I think they were all banking on going up and back in a position where they will receive EFL funding. It's not even a proper academy as such, parents have to pay a monthly direct debit once their kids are in it, and they play a lot of friendlies against other established EFL academies.

We are lucky that we can even operate one when you consider this, let alone receive compo when the bigger academies come circling.
There would be nothing stopping us poaching players from these types of set-ups if we so wished, but we could nab them for nowt.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:02 am

steve-hymas wrote:No we didn’t sell a keeper to Everton .
We have had players looked at by Leeds United and Liverpool so that might be where that’s from .
On Freddie Marson the deal was actually done while Leicester were still in the premier league .It has been ongoing for a while now .
We have to look at what’s best for the young player and it’s easy for him to travel in to training which was a key factor and good luck to the lad .
Financially it helps run the academy and we make sure that this part of the club I run does not have any impact on club finances .
If the lad actually plays for Leicester we get further payments in line with EPPP criteria so we will have a keen interest on how he developes
We wish Freddie all the best at Leicester and the negotiations were very smooth with all parties .
Up the stags !

That's great Steve - thanks for coming on here and explaining all that.

Isn't it brilliant that we have a Director that will chat to the fans on a forum like this. Just shows the great connection the club has with fans. :mtfc:
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:09 am

stagmanrob wrote:It's not even a proper academy as such, parents have to pay a monthly direct debit once their kids are in it.

And they have to buy their own kits and tracksuits!
Even grassroots teams don’t make you do that.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:21 am

ParisStag wrote:
Up the stags !

That's great Steve - thanks for coming on here and explaining all that.

Isn't it brilliant that we have a Director that will chat to the fans on a forum like this. Just shows the great connection the club has with fans. :mtfc:
Yes it is. Also it's good to see that the academy want these youngsters to progress not just with us, so they have a chance of reaching their full potential. I am sure they will attract a lot more potential talent. Well done Steve and all involved with the academy. Good luck Freddie at your new club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:25 am

I'm with Paris on this. It might come across as blowing bubbles up Steve Hymas' rear end but I think the work they (and he especially) do with that academy is absolutely brilliant. In a town where we've been stripped of everything and there's so little to sing about, the academy is a beacon for the club and the town.

It's always puzzled me why blokes pile their hard earned dough in to local Saturday sides with no chance of seeing a return; however, it must be much more rewarding for Steve with his academy work. There's always that chance that you'll unearth a gem and make your investment satisfying.

There's starting to be signs that young lads are coming through after the patience, care and ultimately the dollar that's been ploughed in to the RH academy. Fantastic stuff. Let's hope that one day we get that 30 goals a season striker that earns the club/academy a tidy sum. Keep up the good work, it's genuinely a pleasure to see that place in Pleasley going from strength to strength.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:29 am

zod wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:It's not even a proper academy as such, parents have to pay a monthly direct debit once their kids are in it.

Stags have this exact same setup... my understanding is whilst there might be a proper MTFC U11s for example, we then also have a number of grassroots MTFC teams who are affiliated with the club, wear our colours but aren't actually part of the full academy setup. They play locally in Kick Start, YEL etc and usually play a year above, ie U11s play at U12s.

The vast majority of players at grassroots levels pay subs monthly, including the MTFC ones. Most teams try and get a sponsor to buy kits etc but if that isn't possible then the team/parents have to buy them.

Stags have got trials this week for younger age groups, i believe its for the affiliated teams but obviously if they spot a gem then the club gets first dibs i assume. My lad is an U11s keeper and going. Hopefully he's the next Freddie Marson.

Good luck Freddie, it's a great to see the club developing promising youngsters. All credit to RH, it's a great setup and clearly starting to produce the goods.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:14 pm

Jamie wrote:
zod wrote:

Stags have this exact same setup... my understanding is whilst there might be a proper MTFC U11s for example, we then also have a number of grassroots MTFC teams who are affiliated with the club, wear our colours but aren't actually part of the full academy setup. They play locally in Kick Start, YEL etc and usually play a year above, ie U11s play at U12s.

The vast majority of players at grassroots levels pay subs monthly, including the MTFC ones. Most teams try and get a sponsor to buy kits etc but if that isn't possible then the team/parents have to buy them.

Stags have got trials this week for younger age groups, i believe its for the affiliated teams but obviously if they spot a gem then the club gets first dibs i assume. My lad is an U11s keeper and going. Hopefully he's the next Freddie Marson.

Good luck Freddie, it's a great to see the club developing promising youngsters. All credit to RH, it's a great setup and clearly starting to produce the goods.

Chesterfield pay subs and buy their own kit.
I've never worked with a grassroots team that makes parents buy their own kit, always have a sponsor or FA initiatives to fund it.

There are a number of "Mansfield Town" teams that play in the Kickstart and YEL whose parents think they have signed professional forms at 8 years old!
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:57 pm

zod wrote:Chesterfield pay subs and buy their own kit.

Its probably the same for the MTFC sides at grassroots. Its the parents choice as to whether they play for them or not, pay more or not...

Whether you call it Subs + Kits or just Subs (inc Kit) its the same amount in the end, if you can't get a sponsor.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification Martin and Steve !!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:20 pm

Up the stags !

All makes perfect sense to me, thanks.

Now, can you spare a few bulldozers to knock the Bish down please ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:59 am

Jamie wrote:
zod wrote:Chesterfield pay subs and buy their own kit.

Its probably the same for the MTFC sides at grassroots. Its the parents choice as to whether they play for them or not, pay more or not...

Whether you call it Subs + Kits or just Subs (inc Kit) its the same amount in the end, if you can't get a sponsor.

The big difference is 99% of grassroots teams do have sponsors which drastically reduces the amount forked out by parents.
But if folk want to shell out more money to say their kid plays for "Mansfield Town" or "Chesterfield" that's their choice.
The reality is they play for a grassroots team.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum