{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:20 pm

Alex MacDonald joins Stevenage
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Bradford City are prepared to release former Sheff Utd forward, Jake Young (21) after giving him a 3 year contract last summer. Mark Hughes has told him to find another club.

2020-2022 Forest Green Rovers 12(29) league apps and 9 goals.
2022-2023 Bradford City 3(4) league apps and 2 goals.
2022-2023 Barrow (on loan) 5(12) league apps and 0 goals

Feedback seems to be he was disappointing on loan at Barrow and some Bradford fans are saying he has a bad attitude or he's a Billy Big Boots with a family who are telling him he's great and should be starting every game.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:32 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Bradford City are prepared to release former Sheff Utd forward, Jake Young (21) after giving him a 3 year contract last summer. Mark Hughes has told him to find another club.

2020-2022 Forest Green Rovers 12(29) league apps and 9 goals.
2022-2023 Bradford City 3(4) league apps and 2 goals.
2022-2023 Barrow (on loan) 5(12) league apps and 0 goals

Feedback seems to be he was disappointing on loan at Barrow and some Bradford fans are saying he has a bad attitude or he's a Billy Big Boots with a family who are telling him he's great and should be starting every game.

Sounds like Jamie Tarte
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:57 pm

Somebody's bingeing old lasso... :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Alex MacDonald joins Stevenage

What a surprise! Not
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Very surprised that Sutton have released Will Randall (34 league starts), Omar Bugiel (35 league starts), Donovan Wilson (34 league starts) and Coby Rowe (28 league starts). I thought Will Randall was their best player.

Notts County have signed Will Randall (26) on a 2 year contract.

And Bugiel to AFC Wimbledon, Sutton fans not happy with that one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:37 pm

Not surprising at all. It’s an objectively poor signing for a league 1 team to make, he’s 33 now and nowhere near that standard.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:39 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Not surprising at all. It’s an objectively poor signing for a league 1 team to make, he’s 33 now and nowhere near that standard.

I would argue Danny Rose and Jamie Reid are nowhere near that standard either.

I’ll have a few quid on Steve Evans being sacked and Stevenage getting relegated.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:04 pm

He'll probably find a reason to leave before he gets the sack.

Doesn't like his ego being bruised.

China again probably the excuse.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Midfielder Ethan Brierley should definitely attract interest as he is only 19 and made 18(7) league apps last season and scored 2 goals.

Young Rochdale midfield player Ethan Brierley (19) has joined Brentford on a 3 year contract for an undisclosed fee.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:47 pm

Johan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

I would argue Danny Rose and Jamie Reid are nowhere near that standard either.

I’ll have a few quid on Steve Evans being sacked and Stevenage getting relegated.

Most people said the same things a year ago…
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:48 pm

James wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Goalkeeper Jordan Smith (28) is leaving Nottingham Forest after 20 years at the club. He made 46(1) league starts for Forest and 12 league starts for David Flitcroft's Mansfield Town in 2019 before he dropped him and had to apologise to Conrad Logan and put Conrad back in goal. He's from South Normanton according to wikipedia.

He was god awful for us, wouldn’t go anywhere near him.

You’re going to be fuming soon :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:21 am

Dan wrote:
James wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Goalkeeper Jordan Smith (28) is leaving Nottingham Forest after 20 years at the club. He made 46(1) league starts for Forest and 12 league starts for David Flitcroft's Mansfield Town in 2019 before he dropped him and had to apologise to Conrad Logan and put Conrad back in goal. He's from South Normanton according to wikipedia.

Don't particularly remember him being "god awful" for us.

I know he played for us under "galvanise" in 2019 on loan...

Just looked at Martin's match reports from his 12 game spell and he seemingly did OK and was never highlighted as being at fault for any goals that he conceded.

If we do sign him, I doubt we'll get much better at our level given his experience and age.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Dan wrote:
James wrote:

Don't particularly remember him being "god awful" for us.

I know he played for us under "galvanise" in 2019 on loan...

Just looked at Martin's match reports from his 12 game spell and he seemingly did OK and was never highlighted as being at fault for any goals that he conceded.

If we do sign him, I doubt we'll get much better at our level given his experience and age.

Totally agree, I thought he did ok whilst with us
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:53 am

If half of you don't rate Pym then I'd give it until September before there'd be a ten page thread about the mistake in signing Jordan Smith.

Can't remember a single aspect of his game that was anything above ordinary. So ordinary that when I did a list of our goalies in the last ten years, I'd forgotten him. Couldn't get a game on loan at Huddersfield, or Barnsley and lost his place here to fan favourite Connie Logan.
I might add that I'm amazed that a lad gets to 28 by being third or fourth choice at a club - possibly on decent money. Will be interesting to see where he goes and how he does. Notts County ringing in my head, as they're after a number one.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:31 am

DoomMerchant wrote:If half of you don't rate Pym then I'd give it until September before there'd be a ten page thread about the mistake in signing Jordan Smith.

Can't remember a single aspect of his game that was anything above ordinary. So ordinary that when I did a list of our goalies in the last ten years, I'd forgotten him. Couldn't get a game on loan at Huddersfield, or Barnsley and lost his place here to fan favourite Connie Logan.
I might add that I'm amazed that a lad gets to 28 by being third or fourth choice at a club - possibly on decent money. Will be interesting to see where he goes and how he does. Notts County ringing in my head, as they're after a number one.

Agreed - would be underwhelming for me, I’d prefer to go with Flinders if Smith move was/is on the cards.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:55 am

I might add that maybe this is when your career path bites you in the bum when you're an established benched keeper. Approaching 30 and barely playing anywhere has to make prospective clubs wonder about your drive, ambition and ability.

I wouldn't blame a player for clinging on to the big club hoping that it would come right in the end; the wages can't harm either. However, you'd surely have one eye on your age and another on your appearance record.

Can't even really expect the fans of your club of years to claim that you've been a 'great servant.'
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:06 am

Footballers of a certain level think about money and long term security always have always will...

I dont blame Jordan for picking good wages for 10 years playing or not.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:35 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Footballers of a certain level think about money and long term security always have always will...

Maybe so but to me that also defines you as a person. If you believe in your ability and actually want something out of your career then you'll move on, play at League 1 or 2 - still on decent money I might add - and play games, build yourself a legacy and who knows, if you're as good as you once hoped you were then you might just climb back up the league's.

Look at Lewis Price when he had his tiny loan spell here. Streets ahead of Smith yet had still only played 100 games at nearly 30. He'd played for his country 11 times! Now at 38 he added just a handful of other games to his career. Yet he could have been a stalwart somewhere in League 1.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:18 pm

Not saying I'd be completely buzzing if we did see Smith sign, but I wouldn't be angry either.

It'd be an average League 2 signing really.

We only saw him for 12 games to really judge, of which he had some good performances and some bang average ones. No big mistakes which is probably the most telling factor at our level - consistency is what gets you moved up the ladder and out of it.

We have seen even less of Flinders, and he has made a costly error in one of his games - yet some prefer him even over Pym. I don't think either choice of the three is going to be fantastic nor terrible. If they were, they wouldn't be at Mansfield Town for long.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagspur » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:36 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Footballers of a certain level think about money and long term security always have always will...

Maybe so but to me that also defines you as a person. If you believe in your ability and actually want something out of your career then you'll move on, play at League 1 or 2 - still on decent money I might add - and play games, build yourself a legacy and who knows, if you're as good as you once hoped you were then you might just climb back up the league's.

Look at Lewis Price when he had his tiny loan spell here. Streets ahead of Smith yet had still only played 100 games at nearly 30. He'd played for his country 11 times! Now at 38 he added just a handful of other games to his career. Yet he could have been a stalwart somewhere in League 1.

Kevin Hitchcock esq......
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:57 pm

James wrote:

Another keeper who’s barely 6’0”… I’d like to sign a normal, competent keeper who’s not undersized if possible. Jordan Smith’s made just three competitive appearances since his loan ended with us four years ago. I feel like we could find and sign a better keeper than Smith (and Pym) if we looked hard enough.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 pm

Not particularly bothered about having Pym, Bishop, or especially Smith back based purely on what we have seen from them previous.

None of them set the world alight here and if they did they wouldn’t be back. For the wages Pym was *supposedly* on I think we could get better - how many keepers are earning the kind of money in league 2? Not many if true. I know some think Pym and Bishop are the best thing since sliced bread but it’s just my view. Bishop the best of the bunch with a higher ceiling.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:14 am

I doubt we will get better than Pym or Bishop.

The Pym situation is not too dissimilar to the Danny Johnson scenario we had with Walsall.

I think we will end up with a young keeper on loan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:39 am

Why can’t we give Mason a chance in pre season with Flinders as back up, then if it doesn’t work out get a higher division keeper in. It will save is a lot of money.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum