{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Postby yorkstag » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:So let's get this right, this forum is loaded with huge critics of everything Nigel Clough, recruitment, repeated failures, and especially previous goalkeepers - yet folks are willing to start with a rookie goalkeeper who we've never seen play?

What a bizarre lot some are.

I have no idea how good Mason is - I hope he's the next great English goalkeeper by the way. But I'd imagine that most can agree that the first time he drops one in his net there will be a massive enquiry. The first time he doesn't claim a cross there will be a pile up to suggest that he 'doesn't command his box'. By September/October it'll be 'Clough can't spot a keeper'; Simon Clough failed to find a suitable goalie; the club have no ambition 'will we ever get it right' - 'we don't want promotion', blah blah blah.

Club can't ever win as regards most things.

He might be the next great Irish goalkeeper :lol:

Agree though, and the same with Flinders who is being judged on 4 games against Pym’s 42.

Good posts and totally agree
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:29 pm

part time pete wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I reckon the people who see these players work and perform all day, every day will always be a better judge than every single individual on Stagsnet. Odd as that may seem.

Saying this to people when they give their opinions is a bit narrow minded. There’d be very little football discourse if everyone always abided by the opinions and choices made by football managers.

Like all managers, Clough has and will continue to make mistakes and some of us might call out the mistake before it plays out! Clough will also get things right despite some of us initially disagreeing with the choice he’s made. He lost us the playoff final when he picked a midfield of O’Toole, Longstaff, Quinn and Murphy for the playoff final and thought they were a suitable midfield for a playoff final at Wembley despite none of them having any legs. I’m sure a lot of the posters on here would have strongly disagreed with that team selection. But maybe we shouldn’t be allowed to display our disagreement with choices like that one and others because Clough’s a football manager and therefore knows better than us mere mortals!

Can’t just try to shutdown debate with “Clough is smarter than you and your opposing opinion”.

(I don’t think Flinders is better than Pym, for what it’s worth)

I think the issue with the play off midfield selection is do we know the fitness of your alternative selection. I know I don’t and suggest you don’t either.

Maris started the Salford game and the FGR game going into the playoffs and then started semi final first leg vs Northampton. There wasn’t anything said to suggest that he was injured. Lapslie started the Salford game, was on the bench for the FGR game, and was on the bench for both playoff semi final games, coming on in the 2nd leg. There wasn’t anything said to suggest that Lapslie was injured either. In fact, Quinn was the midfielder carrying a knock despite starting the final - Clough alluded to him struggling with the same knock for weeks after the semi final 1st leg.

So yeah, nothing was said to say that Maris and Lapslie didn’t start the final because of knocks and they’d both played a decent amount in the prior few games. Picking O’Toole, Murphy and Longstaff (and Quinn carrying a knock) when none of them can run over Lapslie and Maris was practically suicide, especially factoring in that Vale were an athletic side and it’s a very big pitch at Wembley, thus mobility is important. Clough just got his team selection horribly wrong.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:40 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Saying this to people when they give their opinions is a bit narrow minded.

Why is it? Isn't it just another opinion, simply one you don't agree with.

Cleveland_Stag wrote:There’d be very little football discourse if everyone always abided by the opinions and choices made by football managers.

But that won't happen. Everyone will want their voice to be heard, opinions will always vary from one extreme to the other.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:53 pm

Hartlepool United have signed Bolton and former Barrow keeper Joel Dixon (29) on a 2 year contract. He made 189 league starts for Barrow between 2015 and 2021; and 24 league starts for Bolton from 2021-2023. Bolton fans didn't rate him. They didn't seem to rate any keeper signed by Ian Evatt until they signed James Trafford (20) on loan from Manchester City.

Hartlepool have also signed young left sided defender Kieran Burton from Scarborough Athletic. He was previously at Tadcaster Albion and Barnsley.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:13 pm

Tranmere have signed Kristian Dennis on a two year deal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Tranmere have signed Kristian Dennis on a two year deal.

Keep up ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:20 pm

Not sure if someone’s already mentioned it, but I’ve seen more than a few rumblings on Twitter that David McGoldrick may well sign for Notts County.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:35 pm

One of my mates saw him at their kids school today and he said he's signing for them.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:50 pm

Dan wrote:One of my mates saw him at their kids school today and he said he's signing for them.

I know he’s getting on but he was the third top scorer in league 1 last season, would be an unbelievable signing. Do you know if they’re signing him knowing that Langstaff will move on or do you think they could keep him and sign McGoldrick? If they have them pair up top next season I can’t see how they don’t go up again :lol:
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 pm

Macca is under contract so it looks like he’s staying. There’s a few who still haven’t signed deals yet including Rodrigues who is rumoured to be going to derby.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:13 pm

I’d be very surprised if Langstaff is still there next season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:11 am

I would have thought a Championship team would have been in for him by now.
It's not just the volume of goals, it's the fact he hasn't seemed to pick up any long term injuries either. Guaranteed if he played for us, he'd be like Iffy Onuora....scores a hat-trick then forever injured.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:07 am

Dan wrote:Macca is under contract so it looks like he’s staying. There’s a few who still haven’t signed deals yet including Rodrigues who is rumoured to be going to derby.

who's Macca?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:Macca is under contract so it looks like he’s staying. There’s a few who still haven’t signed deals yet including Rodrigues who is rumoured to be going to derby.

who's Macca?

Macaulay Langstaff I assume
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

who's Macca?

I think it's Dan's way of trying to make out he's friends with the County players....

Oooooohh fwends :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:30 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Not sure if someone’s already mentioned it, but I’ve seen more than a few rumblings on Twitter that David McGoldrick may well sign for Notts County.

Mcgoldrick was one of Derbys top earners last season having signed on a free from Sheff Utd … I’ve heard this is very close to being confirmed..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:43 am

Billy the fish wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Not sure if someone’s already mentioned it, but I’ve seen more than a few rumblings on Twitter that David McGoldrick may well sign for Notts County.

Mcgoldrick was one of Derbys top earners last season having signed on a free from Sheff Utd … I’ve heard this is very close to being confirmed..

if fit that’s a real signing of intent for the Bedwetters
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Young021 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 am

Mcgoldrick joining on a 2 year deal and with a role within the academy as coach after he was on around 6-8k last season with derby and county aren’t far off that with what they’ve offered.
Young021
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:40 pm

Crawley centre half Tony Craig (38) has joined Dorking Wanderers on a 2 year contract. He made 82(7) league apps fror Crawley from 2020-2023.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:36 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

who's Macca?

I think it's Dan's way of trying to make out he's friends with the County players....

Oooooohh fwends :lol:

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:36 pm

Walsall and former Cheltenham, Northampton, Doncaster, Swindon, Yeovil and Bristol Rovers striker, Andy Williams (36) has signed for Hereford FC. He is from Hereford and started his career at Hereford United.

Andy Williams made 399(226) league starts and scored 138 goals.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:42 pm

McGoldrick is one of those rare players without an agent. Oh, if only more would be strong willed enough to go solo.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm

Bradford City have signed left wing back/winger Clark Odour (23) from Barnsley. He started off at Leeds United. He made 27(22) league apps for Barnsley and scored 1 goal but only made two sub appearances last season. He was on loan at Hartlepool in the first half of last season and made 5(6) league apps and scored 1 goal.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pm

Thought I read somewhere that Billy Sharp has signed for Bradford.If true him and Cook will be dangerous.It is going to be a lot harder this season than last.It will be tough for all the teams.I expect Wrexham and County will be the targets.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 pm

geoffhill wrote:Thought I read somewhere that Billy Sharp has signed for Bradford.If true him and Cook will be dangerous.It is going to be a lot harder this season than last.It will be tough for all the teams.I expect Wrexham and County will be the targets.

Sharp hasn't signed for anyone yet. Donny fans think he's going there
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum