{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Harrogate Town have signed midfielder Matty Daly on a 2 year deal from Huddersfield Town. He was on loan at Harrogate this season and made 20(15) league starts and scored 7 goals which is pretty decent. The previous season he was on loan at Hartlepool and Bradford City.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon May 29, 2023 9:30 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 am

lifestags wrote:Obviously we need to concede less goals but if we had that midfield fit and available at the same time, gosh.

Maris, Reed, Boeteng, Clarke, Quinn, Hartigan, DKD.

You don’t get better DM’s then Maris and Reed at this level, (Hartigan has qualities) Clarke is a machine, If we can get a consistent Boeteng (the one that finished the season) and Quinn on the left side of the midfield, DKD when played in CAM is quality too.

The problem is Clough finds ways not to select Clarke and Maris. Injuries aside.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue May 30, 2023 7:56 am

victor A block wrote:
lifestags wrote:Obviously we need to concede less goals but if we had that midfield fit and available at the same time, gosh.

You don’t get better DM’s then Maris and Reed at this level, (Hartigan has qualities) Clarke is a machine, If we can get a consistent Boeteng (the one that finished the season) and Quinn on the left side of the midfield, DKD when played in CAM is quality too.

The problem is Clough finds ways not to select Clarke and Maris. Injuries aside.

When fit, Clarke is the first name on every team sheet for me. I don't understand why he isn't.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 am

victor A block wrote:

Can you list all these games where Maris wasn't played when fit to play please?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 am

broomo wrote:Can you list all these games where Maris wasn't played when fit to play please?

January 2022 until the end of the season when Clarke, Lapslie & Maris made way for Akins, Murphy & Longstaff
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 am

Experienced left back Chris Hussey (34) has left Stockport County. He has won promotions with AFC Wimbledon (Isthmian League/Conference South), Bury (League 2), Cheltenham Town (League 2) and Port Vale (League 2) as well as making the League 2 play offs with Stockport County. He will therefore receive some offers from League 2 despite probably being past his best but I thought that when he joined Port Vale.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jamie Sterry could be a good signing for Donny although some Hartlepool fans said he was struggling with injuries this season and some mental health issues. Good luck to him apart from when he is playing us.

Grant McCann: "“We’ve got a goalkeeper in Ian Lawlor, a centre back in Richard Wood and a right back in Jamie Sterry. There’s possibly one more in that back unit that we’ll bring in and then we can move on into midfield. The back is the foundation for everything and it gives you the opportunity to go and attack. Don’t get me wrong, we’ll still be attacking and we’ll be bringing in good players in that area of the pitch as well but at this time of the summer, the attacking players, when you speak to agents, have 15 clubs after them so it’s a bit of a waiting game."

Donny fan on their forum saying that they are signing two midfielders and one attacker this week. Alex Pattison, Kieran Sadlier and Tom Eaves are being mentioned by other fans. Eaves and Sadlier were signed by Grant McCann for Hull City and Donny Rovers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Tue May 30, 2023 10:12 am

Agree up to when you refer to DKD as quality. Maybe there is potential quality but I've yet to see it in a Stags shirt. I was never really a big Lapsley fan, but I don't think DKD has reached even that level for us . . . as yet. Here's hoping though.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 30, 2023 10:35 am

young vanish wrote:

Agree up to when you refer to DKD as quality. Maybe there is potential quality but I've yet to see it in a Stags shirt. I was never really a big Lapsley fan, but I don't think DKD has reached even that level for us . . . as yet. Here's hoping though.

Really? I thought DKD has done pretty well since he came in, he can go off the boil a bit but I feel like he has replaced Lapslie decently in terms of output
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue May 30, 2023 10:59 am

He went “off the boil” when he was moved out wide.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am

DKD made a good start but his form tailed off a bit towards the end of the season. He was very poor in the 1st half against Harrogate and was subbed. He needs to get more shots off on target like Nigel Clough mentioned in his interviews. I'm sure he'll come back firing after a good pre-season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue May 30, 2023 11:13 am

DKD has 12-15 goals in him next season playing behind a front two at the top of a diamond imo different player to Lapslie as DKD is more of a link man player and will have a shot outside of the area whereas Lapslie would be the man from midfield running into the box to get on the end of crosses etc but both good at what they do
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby TheMyTStags » Tue May 30, 2023 12:33 pm

young vanish wrote:

What? I get differences of opinion, but how can you have not seen any quality in DKD. He went off the boil a bit when moved to LW, but in his first 5 starts he scored 3, assisted 2 and won a penalty. He got 6 goals and 4 assists in 18 starts. Over a season that works out as 15 goals and 10 assists. On top of that he's one of the best dribblers and creators in the side (backed up by him completing more dribbles and key passes per 90 than anyone in the team). Why don't you think he's any good?
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 30, 2023 2:41 pm

Carlisle United

Under Contract: Jack Armer, Ryan Edmondson, Jack Ellis, Joe Garner, Callum Guy, Jayden Harris, Tomas Holy, Paul Huntington, Owen Moxon, Gabriel Breeze, Jordan Gibson, Max Kilsby, Jon Mellish, Corey Whelan.
Offered New Deals: Taylor Charters, Kristian Dennis, Morgan Feeney, Omari Patrick.

Released: Brennan Dickenson, Jamie Devitt, Joel Senior, Sam Fishburn, Mick Kelly, Tobi Sho-Silva, Scott Simons, Lewis Bell, Josh Dixon,

I imagine all the players offered new deals will sign new contracts.

The Stags have been linked previously with Omari Patrick (27) but he has not particularly impressed me this season. He made 18(14) starts and scored 4 goals.

I like centre half Morgan Feeney (24) who has been good for Carlisle this season. He's made 30(3) league starts and scored 3 goals. He's from Bootle and started off at Everton and Sunderland.

Brennan Dickinson can play left back or left midfield. He was one of the best attacking left sided players in League 2 when he played for Col U in 2016-2017. He made 35(1) league starts and scored 12 goals including one against Steve Evans' Stags. His career has gone downhill a bit after leaving Col U for Exeter City. He only made 8(2) league starts for the Grecians and he has made 42(9) league starts for Carlisle and scored 3 goals. He has missed the whole of this season due to an ACL injury.

Jamie Devitt (32) has had more clubs than Tiger Woods and is one of those players you are surprised he is still playing in League 2. He was very good for Carlisle United in 2017-2018 making 30(10) starts and scoring 10 goals including one against the Stags. He's only made 15 league starts in the last 4 seasons. Fondly remembered by Stags fans for jumping up and down like an idiot in front of Alan Marriott when Grimsby were taking a free kick on the edge of the area in a massive Conference game in 2013. Matt Rhead and Adam Chapman won the game for the Stags in the 2nd half. Tom Naylor and Craig Disley were in midfield for Grimsby.

Right back/midfield player Joel Senior (22) played in the play off games for Carlisle and has been rewarded by being released. Wrexham keeper Mark Howard was also released by Carlisle last season after being voted as their player of the season. Football is a cruel game.

Big forward Tobi Sho-Shuva (28) moved up North from Sutton United but only made 8 sub appearances.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 30, 2023 3:06 pm

Tyler Walker released by Coventry

If we had not signed Swan he would have 100% been this summers Luke Beckett.

I would think Notts County as a replacement for Langstaff could be an option.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:24 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Tyler Walker released by Coventry

If we had not signed Swan he would have 100% been this summers Luke Beckett.

I would think Notts County as a replacement for Langstaff could be an option.

Scores way too many goals to play up front for us.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue May 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Is Flitcroft still calling the shots at Vale? Could see him ending up there. Hope so at least, he'd be a cracking signing for any of our rivals in this league
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue May 30, 2023 3:30 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
young vanish wrote:

What? I get differences of opinion, but how can you have not seen any quality in DKD. He went off the boil a bit when moved to LW, but in his first 5 starts he scored 3, assisted 2 and won a penalty. He got 6 goals and 4 assists in 18 starts. Over a season that works out as 15 goals and 10 assists. On top of that he's one of the best dribblers and creators in the side (backed up by him completing more dribbles and key passes per 90 than anyone in the team). Why don't you think he's any good?

Agreed. Keep Keillor-Dunn at the top of the diamond and he’ll score 15 for us next season while also being one of, if not our most creative player. He seemed a lot more effective centrally than he did out wide, which is another reason for why we have to play the diamond formation rather than a 4-3-3.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
young vanish wrote:

Agreed. Keep Keillor-Dunn at the top of the diamond and he’ll score 15 for us next season while also being one of, if not our most creative player. He seemed a lot more effective centrally than he did out wide, which is another reason for why we have to play the diamond formation rather than a 4-3-3.

DKD is last seasons Lucas Akins and the season before's Elliot Hewitt ,Frustrating but shows signs that he is a very good footballer ,Be very suprised if he is not a fans favoutite by the end of next season
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Tue May 30, 2023 3:47 pm

Suttonian wrote:
broomo wrote:Can you list all these games where Maris wasn't played when fit to play please?

January 2022 until the end of the season when Clarke, Lapslie & Maris made way for Akins, Murphy & Longstaff

He made 20 appearances from Jan 1st.

15 starts and 5 games where he came on as sub.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 30, 2023 3:52 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
young vanish wrote:

DKD is last seasons Lucas Akins and the season before's Elliot Hewitt ,Frustrating but shows signs that he is a very good footballer ,Be very suprised if he is not a fans favoutite by the end of next season

He’s performed a lot better than Akins did in his first season, no comparison.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue May 30, 2023 5:41 pm

Tyler Walker released by Coventry
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 30, 2023 6:09 pm

Either you missed my post about this further up or I am on your Foe list..... :lol:

Which ironically means you won't see this response either. :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 30, 2023 6:16 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Ryan Stirk released by Birmingham

Another player released by Birmingham City is veteran left back/centre half George Friend (35). He made 254 (14) league starts for Middlesbrough and I think he still lives up that way. He also played for Doncaster Rovers. He wants to carry on playing and could do a job for a League 1/League 2 club. He also wants to go into coaching.

He has set up the George Friend Scholarship at Teesside University to provide three young football players with £1,000 each to support them during their studies at the University.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum