{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

players in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: players in

Postby yorkstag » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:55 pm

MOTG wrote:Apparently we are interested in signing youngster Brandon Aguilera Costa Rican from Nottingham Forest

A reliable source as I see he’s a midfield player?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Sounds like a load of nonsense considering the only place reporting it is a Twitter account with one post
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:33 pm

MOTG wrote:Apparently we are interested in signing youngster Brandon Aguilera Costa Rican from Nottingham Forest

Played in all 3 games for Costa Rica at the World Cup.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:55 pm

I could see this one until January actually. Although from what I've just read about him he sounds extremely raw and certainly wouldn't walk straight into our team.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:07 pm

Like a genie in a bottle, gotta rub him the right way
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:19 am

"Brandon Aguilera Costa Rican"???
Would that be the widest shirt in Mansfield's history?
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:28 am

Gruff wrote:"Brandon Aguilera Costa Rican"???
Would that be the widest shirt in Mansfield's history?

No just his surname "Aguilera"
Keillor-Dunn is currently the longest
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:27 am

Neill Byrne, bit on twitter we are interested, however apparently now signing new contract at Stockport, true or false nothing else about it
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:04 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Neill Byrne, bit on twitter we are interested, however apparently now signing new contract at Stockport, true or false nothing else about it

Comes from a reliable source by twitter standards
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:20 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Neill Byrne, bit on twitter we are interested, however apparently now signing new contract at Stockport, true or false nothing else about it

So 2 followers instead of 1 then? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:33 pm

On to the second target then.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:42 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:

So 2 followers instead of 1 then? :lol:

6000 :lol:
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

On to the second target then.

Mk and Salford also wanted him apparently.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:21 pm

I said originally Mansfield Town were after Tom Naylor...or I should have said Nigel Clough wanted him, and the player actually wanted to come , apparently the deal was squashed at and by a higher level not willing to match the wages required and subsequently offered by Chesterfield... with a apparent remark of "we can get 2 players for a similar wage outlay" so the myth of us having a high budget and seeking quality players is broken and I am disappointed and find it unbelievable we cannot match non League Chesterfield's offer for a quality player
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby zod » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:27 pm

diablo wrote:I said originally Mansfield Town were after Tom Naylor...or I should have said Nigel Clough wanted him, and the player actually wanted to come , apparently the deal was squashed at and by a higher level not willing to match the wages required and subsequently offered by Chesterfield... with a apparent remark of "we can get 2 players for a similar wage outlay" so the myth of us having a high budget and seeking quality players is broken and I am disappointed and find it unbelievable we cannot match non League Chesterfield's offer for a quality player

Don't see why we should pander to him after he pooed on us last time.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:29 pm

diablo wrote:I said originally Mansfield Town were after Tom Naylor...or I should have said Nigel Clough wanted him, and the player actually wanted to come , apparently the deal was squashed at and by a higher level not willing to match the wages required and subsequently offered by Chesterfield... with a apparent remark of "we can get 2 players for a similar wage outlay" so the myth of us having a high budget and seeking quality players is broken and I am disappointed and find it unbelievable we cannot match non League Chesterfield's offer for a quality player

If that’s true, it’s not actually a case of couldn’t match it but more didn’t want to match it. It is a bit worrying though if directors/owners/ceo are actually dictating which players the budget should be spent on. Surely Nigel should have a total budget and it should then be up to him how it was proportionally spent. After all it’s his job that depends on the team performance and if he can’t have the players he wants he doesn’t really have control of his own destiny.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

If that’s true, it’s not actually a case of couldn’t match it but more didn’t want to match it. It is a bit worrying though if directors/owners/ceo are actually dictating which players the budget should be spent on. Surely Nigel should have a total budget and it should then be up to him how it was proportionally spent. After all it’s his job that depends on the team performance and if he can’t have the players he wants he doesn’t really have control of his own destiny.

1- We don’t know the full facts. Only JR/NC/Sharpe etc I presume
2- Personally I can’t see it. NC has quite clearly stated he has the main structure of his side, and was looking for defenders, from what we know
3- He brought in 2 Defenders, and if I remember said he would maybe consider a midfielder or Attacker if the opportunity was too good to miss.
4- If Naylor wanted very high wages, then he don’t fit into point 3 plus we got a stacked midfield in that role. CDM. Last season was freakish injuries. Odds must be huge that it would happen again

I’m guessing we are still looking for cover at the back. RB who can play CB

If we paid out silly money wages on Naylor, got promoted and have less to spend on Div 1 standard players, younger than Naylor we would be kicking ourselves.

We may then need higher wage players in numerous positions

To me it looks smart business the Club have done on who they have brought in, and how shrewd they will be about what’s needed at a reasonable cost
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny H » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Maybe the directors /owners clearly saw we were short of players last year and the squad was too small.....bit of a hint to the manager not to make the same mistake again ......Possibly !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:50 pm

There's a difference between can't match it and won't match it. There are very few spending restrictions in the national league, which has allowed Stockport and Wrexham (helped by outrageous sponsorships) to spend their way to the title. Wouldn't be the first time that Chesterfield have been accused of doing the same recently but without the finances to back it up. If they're gonna give him 3 or 4k a week he's obviously going to go, and we'd be daft to try and match that when we can get younger players who are better fits at CB for less money. People just don't like appearing to lose to Chesterfield. If it makes you feel better, we apparently beat them to Calum McDonald
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:50 pm

I just hope Clough wanted both Naylor and Cargill as that means we're still in the market for another quality centre half plus another one who can cover at right back too.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:I just hope Clough wanted both Naylor and Cargill as that means we're still in the market for another quality centre half plus another one who can cover at right back too.

But \Naylor is not a centre half.....he's a central midefielder who can play in defence
Been that way ever since he left the Stags many years ago.

If we had signed Naylor....we would have sold a Centre Mid......or Clough would have looked to play another player outside his best position which has been proven as a mistake in the long term over the last few seasons.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Let it go Johnny, it's 2023 footballers can have more than one position these days
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Let it go Johnny, it's 2023 footballers can have more than one position these days

But at our level they aren't very good at it ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Let it go Johnny, it's 2023 footballers can have more than one position these days

They can.......but not many excel in more than one
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:38 pm

I ain't packing boxes, everyone knows I'm a taper-upper!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum