{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL announces broadcasting deal with Sky Sports

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

EFL announces broadcasting deal with Sky Sports

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:24 pm

DAZN launch bid to buy £200m live TV rights for all 1,656 matches in the EFL from the 2024-25 season in a proposal that would end the 3pm Saturday blackout... with Sky Sports, BT Sport and Viapay also interested

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... 24-25.html

The EFL are convinced that there is greater demand to watch their clubs on a regular basis, a view which DAZN's bid appears to endorse. The London-based streaming service are not wedded to buying the exclusive rights and have indicated a willingness to share games with other broadcasters, but want the ability to show every game themselves.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: DAZN launch bid to buy £200m live TV rights for EFL matc

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:30 pm

'Medieval' 3pm blackout could end as DAZN make move to buy TV rights from Sky Sports

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... v-29581899

DAZN, which claims to be the largest sports broadcaster in Europe, believes the EFL is under-exposed as a product and there is a market to show every match live in the UK and worldwide.

That would require the removal of the Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes which the FA applies to stop any live broadcast of games between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on Saturday afternoons.

Sources close to the DAZN bid see the rule, introduced in the 1960s, as “medieval” and “anachronistic” and only encourages fans to watch pirate streams.

The successful bidders for the new EFL contracts are expected to be announced this summer.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:33 pm

DAZN bidding to broadcast every EFL game live which could spell the end of the 3pm blackout rule with Premier League deal also eyed

https://talksport.com/football/efl/1378 ... 1680114278

DAZN already hold the rights to Serie A in Italy, while they have made in-roads with Champions League and domestic coverage in Germany and Spain.

Major progress could be made in the UK if successful, with the company recently sealing global NFL rights for every country outside of the US.

EFL board members will have a tough decision on their hands, balancing the income from TV revenue with a potential loss of matchday sales, while the call may result in 3pm Premier League games also being broadcast.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:38 pm

Sports streaming giant DAZN has launched a bid to broadcast every single EFL fixture in a move that would signal the end of the 3pm blackout at football league level.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/dazn ... le-2241155

The streaming giant firmly believes that Saturday crowds wouldn’t be hit by matches being available to stream and pointed out that illegal streams are readily available and clubs were missing out on significant revenue.

Indeed DAZN’s play to the EFL and its clubs is that its product is significantly underexposed and its bid would transform the league and offer all 72 teams a platform, whilst also allowing them to “close the gap” on the Premier League in terms of revenue streams.

It would be open to partnering with another broadcaster, which could even be a terrestrial station like the BBC or ITV who would offer games for free in primetime slots.

DAZN’s coverage would include beefed up behind-the-scenes footage, watchalongs, stats, in-play betting and vastly superior camera angles and production values than the basic iFollow service for which clubs currently charge £10 a game. It would also launch an EFL version of the NFL’s “RedZone”, a show that would enable viewers to watch every goal as it goes in.

Sources said the pricing would be “competitive”, with a monthly fee for subscribers giving access to every single league game. It would broadly want to stick with Saturday 3pm for all games but would stick with Sky’s model of moving a handful of games to showcase the bigger fixtures every week.

It will be fascinating to see how DAZN’s proposed revolution goes down with the 72 clubs, who all have vastly differing priorities, and supporters. Although the EFL has been open about ending the blackout some clubs believe that would be disastrous and the Football Supporters’ Association still support it.

Other clubs are raking in substantial revenue through iFollow and will want to know if their cut of the new deal will replace that before voting in favour.

DAZN clearly feels that it can help market the league to a new generation of supporter – both at home and abroad – which would make it more appealing to sponsors.

The bidding process is understood to have ended and the EFL intends to have the next broadcasting model settled soon, maybe even before the start of next season. The league is hoping to significantly increase the value of its rights to close to £200m-a-year which is double the current value.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NEStag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Bad news for teams like ours if this goes through. It would be ok for the Premier League, as there’s a huge excess of demand from people who want to watch but can’t get a ticket.
For lower leagues the attendances will be hit as people will stay at home and watch (especially for away games) and we’ll end up with empty stadiums, few away fans and a crap atmosphere.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 am

NEStag wrote:Bad news for teams like ours if this goes through. It would be ok for the Premier League, as there’s a huge excess of demand from people who want to watch but can’t get a ticket.
For lower leagues the attendances will be hit as people will stay at home and watch (especially for away games) and we’ll end up with empty stadiums, few away fans and a crap atmosphere.

Like they said... the amount of people who stream illegally already is extremely high, it'lmake little difference to crowds. Its worse for teams difficult to get to ue Carlisle but with our geographical location it's generally easy to get to
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:52 am

I guess it’ll come down to how much money will clubs see from it. Doesn’t matter what the fan opinion is as long as it’s beneficial for the football clubs bank balances they’ll vote for it, if not, they will vote against it.

With the rising amount of ‘dodgy’ boxes and online streaming which clubs see zero money for, I think this sort of deal is inevitable one day.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:15 am

So many people watch the games via IPTV at 3pm anyway, might aswell cash in.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:19 am

Conker wrote:So many people watch the games via IPTV at 3pm anyway, might aswell cash in.

The problem is it'll more than likely be £10 a game so people will still watch via IPTV.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:37 am

Real fans do what I do if they cannot attend a game PAY.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:40 am

zod wrote:
Conker wrote:So many people watch the games via IPTV at 3pm anyway, might aswell cash in.

The problem is it'll more than likely be £10 a game so people will still watch via IPTV.

It’ll be a monthly subscription rather than pay for a game. People still might watch via IPTV but I’m assuming clubs will get a lump sum every year rather than getting paid for the amount fans watching a game.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:42 am

oldweststander wrote:Real fans do what I do if they cannot attend a game PAY.

Unfortunately, there are lots of fake fans who don't.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:55 am

I'd scrap Ifollow all together. It's L2 if you want to watch your team then go. Who really wants to watch Swindon v Mansfield on a Sunday lunchtime
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:06 am

zod wrote:

True, to an extent. i know Many with a conscience that will pay for a Tuesday night game on Ifollow instead of the stream
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:08 am

Richard Cranium wrote:I'd scrap Ifollow all together. It's L2 if you want to watch your team then go. Who really wants to watch Swindon v Mansfield on a Sunday lunchtime

Those who cannot get for whatever reason. Imagine you're an old boy and travelling down to Swindon takes it toll... They have an option to watch it.

very catch 22
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
zod wrote:

It’ll be a monthly subscription rather than pay for a game. People still might watch via IPTV but I’m assuming clubs will get a lump sum every year rather than getting paid for the amount fans watching a game.

True but I imagine the club will receive more money through this than our iFollow revenue at a guess.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:27 am

Conker wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
zod wrote:

True but I imagine the club will receive more money through this than our iFollow revenue at a guess.

Agreed - clubs will just do the maths and vote based on that. If the money is enough to cover any potential loss in attendance revenue then I can’t see a reason it would be rejected.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:53 pm

So doesn't look like it will be DAZN then...
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:01 pm

EFL name Sky Sports as preferred bidder in potential blow to rival DAZN bid
The multinational streaming service had launched a bid to broadcast all EFL games as of the 2024-25 season but that could now be in tatters

The English Football League (EFL) has announced it will enter a period of exclusivity with current broadcaster Sky Sports - potentially dashing the hopes of rival DAZN.

The league's current five-year deal with Sky ends following the conclusion of the 2023-24 campaign and recently they issued an invitation to tender for future coverage.

That prompted multinational media giant DAZN to launch an audacious bid to become the new home of the EFL. Like lower-league clubs, DAZN have also suffered financial problems with the streaming service, known predominantly in the UK for its boxing coverage, recording an annual loss of £1.9billion in January.

One of their plans was said to be potentially removing the 3pm blackout rule - a law that has been in place since the 1960s - which would effectively allow every single game to be screened live.

Now, a statement released on Monday afternoon confirmed that the league has entered exclusive talks with Sky, who currently broadcast 138 live matches each season across the Championship, League One, League Two, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy and play-offs.

read more at https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... r-26623711
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: EFL name Sky Sports as preferred bidder in blow to DAZN

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:18 pm

It's time that the iFollow product was shaken up, particularly the ridiculous restrictions. Lots of people would like to watch their team live and can't travel to the match. Stags are a good example.

Apart from people who aren't fit enough to stand the gruelling away trip, or even the slightly gruelling home trip, the matchday experience is generally a bit grim and definitely not suitable for every football fan.

It's ludicrous that there's a live broadcast but they aren't allowed to watch it, and are told to keep their money. Even when a game is available, it's for arbitrary reasons. It takes some messing about unless you don't mind watching it on a tiny screen, it's often plagued with technical issues and has the look of a very low budget enterprise. Although the commentators are first class, obviously!
Nuts.
I wouldn't call it medieval, but it's all a throwback to the bad old 1970s.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:33 pm

Bradders wrote:It's time that the iFollow product was shaken up, particularly the ridiculous restrictions. Lots of people would like to watch their team live and can't travel to the match. Stags are a good example.

Apart from people who aren't fit enough to stand the gruelling away trip, or even the slightly gruelling home trip, the matchday experience is generally a bit grim and definitely not suitable for every football fan.

It's ludicrous that there's a live broadcast but they aren't allowed to watch it, and are told to keep their money. Even when a game is available, it's for arbitrary reasons. It takes some messing about unless you don't mind watching it on a tiny screen, it's often plagued with technical issues and has the look of a very low budget enterprise. Although the commentators are first class, obviously!
Nuts.

I couldn't disagree more.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:41 pm

I don't think, as a rule, IFollow is a bad service.

I watch every away game, even though I'm a season ticket holder, I have watched home games when attending was not possible and I pay for both options.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:It's time that the iFollow product was shaken up, particularly the ridiculous restrictions. Lots of people would like to watch their team live and can't travel to the match. Stags are a good example.

Nuts.

I couldn't disagree more.

+1
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:14 pm

oldweststander wrote:I don't think, as a rule, IFollow is a bad service.

I watch every away game, even though I'm a season ticket holder, I have watched home games when attending was not possible and I pay for both options.

Living abroad and buying a home season ticket is really being a true supporter ;) ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:55 pm

Still not sure of whether I think the blackout should be scrapped or not. I see really good arguments either way, but regardless of that, if Sky are to keep the rights I hope they seriously up their game.

The coverage of leagues one and two is pathetic at the minute and should have more focus. There is so much more they could do.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum