{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ifs, buts and maybes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Ifs, buts and maybes

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:08 pm

If we fail to secure a top seven spot this season do we stick with Nigel or do we roll the dice again?

If we had not been hit by such a crippling injury list this season I seriously think we’d be pushing hard for the top three. As it stands we are on the edge of the playoffs but it does look like some players are edging closer to returning from injury and it could make for a very interesting run in.

I don’t think we’ve played anywhere near the levels we were achieving week in week out last season, maybe that’s a direct result of the injury crisis. However, it’s also fair to cite that we had left ourselves light in numbers which hampered us further, particularly in defence. There’s also nothing more Mansfield than improving on a patchy away record last season whilst simultaneously trading in our phenomenally consistent home form for a considerably more underwhelming set of results and performances this season.

I think we recruited very well in January and the fact both Callum Johnson and Reed have spent more time sidelined than fit just further emphasises how unlucky we’ve been.

Personally I don’t think we will go up this season, I hope I’m wrong obviously but it just feels like we haven’t quite been good enough.

That leads to the question do we stick or twist if we are to spend another season in League Two? Personally I’d stick, going into a pre season with players like Callum Johnson, Elliot Hewitt, Alfie Kilgour, George Maris, Louis Reed and Davis Keillor-Dunn already makes me think the quality is there to build upon for a real challenge at the top three at least. A few quality additions, mainly at CB and LB/LWB. It would be a massive shame to throw our toys out of the pram when I think next season we would be in our strongest position since our return to the league to get back to the third tier.

But for now it’s all ifs buts and maybes.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Re: Ifs, buts and maybes

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm

100% stick, unless we go on a turd run and miss out by a country mile.

We have an excellent foundation for a team next season, we just need to ensure we have sufficient cover
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Agree with PC We have some significant recruitment required in the summer and to my mind, January was sufficiently good to earn him another go
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 pm

If we make the play offs then stick, if not then I guess it probably depends on the manner in which we fall short. Let's say we miss out on GD on the final day then it would be harsh to sack Clough, but if we fall away and say finish 10th or a significant amount of points off then I'm not so sure.
I agree about the injuries. They have obviously had an impact, and had they not happened this wouldn't even be a discussion as, like you said, we'd likely be pushing top 3 at a minimum. However, the criticism comes from the fact they feel a little self inflicted. As much as Clough can't control injuries, if you are going to go with a small squad then I don't think you can afford to have a large amount of injury prone or old players like we do. So if we do miss out I think he either needs to go for more reliable players (if he's sticking with small squad size), or go for a slightly larger squad.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:100% stick, unless we go on a turd run and miss out by a country mile.

We have an excellent foundation for a team next season, we just need to ensure we have sufficient cover

Agreed and Clough clearly came to the realisation our squad was getting too old in January so I see him only improving the squad further next season.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:34 pm

Stick with Clough ....he’ll get us there .... don't go down the premiership route 6months and yer out even less in some cases its a joke ..nigel is building a side including a lot of bad luck
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm

Of course we stick with him but he needs to change his opinion on squad depth. A lot.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:52 pm

The Jan window was better than others but he again left the squad dreadfully short on the left hand side, it was a big mistake for which we are paying a price. He will have had 2.5 years and if his name wasn't Clough I very much doubt there'd by the same acceptance of what, by his own measure, would be another failure. That said, I have always preached patience so have no problem if he gets one more go, but next season is very much it and the league will be much stronger. The squad needs assembling properly this summer, 22 outfield players the manager wants and will play, not carrying players to make up numbers, if it gets that bad, use u21s.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:53 pm

I’m undecided on Clough’s future, but I can’t see him not being offered a new contract by the club.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m undecided on Clough’s future, but I can’t see him not being offered a new contract by the club.

I think stick & I think the owners have already decided to stick & NC knows it.

He doesn't sound like a guy feeling any kind of pressure in interviews.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:51 pm

Rob wrote:The Jan window was better than others but he again left the squad dreadfully short on the left hand side, it was a big mistake for which we are paying a price. He will have had 2.5 years and if his name wasn't Clough I very much doubt there'd by the same acceptance of what, by his own measure, would be another failure. That said, I have always preached patience so have no problem if he gets one more go, but next season is very much it and the league will be much stronger. The squad needs assembling properly this summer, 22 outfield players the manager wants and will play, not carrying players to make up numbers, if it gets that bad, use u21s.

Think that’s unfair as we clearly missed out on a left back in January and we did make the squad bigger, you can’t expect everything to go our way.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:00 pm

I'd say stick. He's got a few players who are under contract next year it would be unfair on the new manager hamstrung by them.

Plus, it takes a while for the penny to drop but Clough might actually shore up the defence, he tried in January to recruit LWB, it'll be easier in the summer to fill that position.

Depending upon how this season ends would determine any restrictions in place.
Promotion - no restrictions.
Play offs (not promoted) players signed over 33 years old - max 1 year deal
Finish outside the play offs - max 1 year deals for players over 31 and free transfers. with max of 2 players over 33 at the club.

Depending on the player could see restrictions eased but I'd certainly look at those restrictions. Hardly like there's no good players outside those restrictions.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm

MTFC Man wrote:
Rob wrote:The Jan window was better than others but he again left the squad dreadfully short on the left hand side, it was a big mistake for which we are paying a price. He will have had 2.5 years and if his name wasn't Clough I very much doubt there'd by the same acceptance of what, by his own measure, would be another failure. That said, I have always preached patience so have no problem if he gets one more go, but next season is very much it and the league will be much stronger. The squad needs assembling properly this summer, 22 outfield players the manager wants and will play, not carrying players to make up numbers, if it gets that bad, use u21s.

Think that’s unfair as we clearly missed out on a left back in January and we did make the squad bigger, you can’t expect everything to go our way.

How is it unfair, he's had two years to sign cover for Macca, it's not like I've only just started mentioning it ;)

He's clearly going to be here next season, let's hope he sorts it out this summer.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm

If we don’t make the play offs then it’s time for him to go. I can’t see him improving if he stays. Too stubborn sometimes and very reluctant to give youth a try. In my opinion of course
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:04 pm

Didn't manage to recruit a LWB last Summer either, why not if it's easier than Jan...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:08 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:100% stick, unless we go on a turd run and miss out by a country mile.

Missing out on GD and by a country mile is still the same thing aint it ?
Failure...

I will buck the trend and say if we miss out on the play offs I wouldnt renew his contract...

Too stubborn and no real set style of play... of course the injuries haven't helped but other clubs have had this aswell..

The no cover at LB LWB has killed us and I don't believe for one moment there are not and havent been options out there....

This decision has one condition though and that is that his replacement isn't the youth team manager.... :lol:

Karl Robinson please if Nigel decides not to renew, I say this as JR will never sack Clough and will 100% offer him a new deal...

Doesn't mean JR is right though....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:09 pm

Ive already said that if he fails to get us promoted he should go ,but with the injuries as long as we make the play offs i would not be against renewing his contract ,but im sure he will be staying on and i really couldnt offer a better replacement
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:11 pm

I think Clough had an above average transfer window in January and also missed out on a couple. The club have been extremely unlucky with injuries since then but the intent to improve the squad was clear to see.

We clearly need further attention to the centre halves and he may try and sign Harbottle permanently. I think Nigel now’s sees the deficiencies and I am confident he will address them.

In those circumstances I think it would be extremely foolish not to give him another go no matter what happens this year as he clearly has the faith of the players. I would definitely give him another contract.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 pm

scotsstag wrote:Didn't manage to recruit a LWB last Summer either, why not if it's easier than Jan...

Because in the summer there's more out of contract and available players.

It's not a position most clubs have excess of. Unlike say CB, where they could have 4-6 players vying for 2-3 shirts. Clubs could have 2 players vying for 1 shirt at LB. In the summer 1 or 2 of those LB could be out of contract and unhappy with being 2nd fiddle so may look for first team opportunities. That's where we would come in.

In January you either pay a club a good few or you look at players who have no club (ie Lewis Page) which didn't work for us.

Just because it's easier in summer that doesn't mean it can't still be difficult.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:27 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
scotsstag wrote:Didn't manage to recruit a LWB last Summer either, why not if it's easier than Jan...

Because in the summer there's more out of contract and available players.

It's not a position most clubs have excess of. Unlike say CB, where they could have 4-6 players vying for 2-3 shirts. Clubs could have 2 players vying for 1 shirt at LB. In the summer 1 or 2 of those LB could be out of contract and unhappy with being 2nd fiddle so may look for first team opportunities. That's where we would come in.

In January you either pay a club a good few or you look at players who have no club (ie Lewis Page) which didn't work for us.

Just because it's easier in summer that doesn't mean it can't still be difficult.

I never said or meant you were wrong, my point was we should have done it last summer.
If we missed the main target then contingency plans should have been in place...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:29 pm

Who was the last left sided defender we had at the club? Macca isn't a defender. Sir Mal?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:38 pm

Rob wrote:Who was the last left sided defender we had at the club? Macca isn't a defender. Sir Mal?

I believe so.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:45 pm

I personally don’t see how we are going to get the points required to make the playoffs this season. I’d probably let him go due to the fact he’s failed the minimum objective of getting into the play offs, football is a results business and this league is only going to get harder with the likes of Wrexham coming up and teams like Gillingham getting ridiculous investment.

People will use the injury crisis as an excuse but if you look down the M1 at Northampton, they have also had a pretty outrageous injury list and it hasn’t stopped them from pushing through and getting results.

I hope he does get into the playoffs this season, I hope (if he stays) he succeeds next season, I want this to work but at the minute it’s not and Clough has to take the blame for that.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:00 pm

anything else apart from promotion is failure, the owner & manager set the bar pre season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:07 pm

Reading the comments already im obviously the exception but I said on Saturday that the manager looked like someone who knows he's not getting a new contract and equally the players didn't look like they were playing for him. The team is his total responsibility, the squad, the recruitment direction, the injury levels, tge tactics, poor use of substitutes, the boring dull performances devoid of excitement. Field Mill has been like a morgue the last three home games and I doubt season ticket sales in the summer will be anywhere near as high. Yes we've survived another year compared to whoever will be relegated but do you really think we are in a better place ??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum