{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ifs, buts and maybes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Ifs, buts and maybes

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:23 pm

Costastag wrote:Ive already said that if he fails to get us promoted he should go ,but with the injuries as long as we make the play offs i would not be against renewing his contract ,but im sure he will be staying on and i really couldnt offer a better replacement

What about Stephen Clarke? :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:29 pm

The Players absolutely looked like they were playing for him. weirdest comment of the season.

Hewitt playing through a broken nose lol
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:41 pm

I thought it was an excellent Jan transfer window and suggested to me he had taken a big step in the right direction. The first real signs of building a team. Belated but the basis, for me, for saying he should be allowed to continue that progress.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:57 pm

Rob wrote:Who was the last left sided defender we had at the club? Macca isn't a defender. Sir Mal?

I wouldn’t call Sir Mal a PROPER defender. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:00 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:Ive already said that if he fails to get us promoted he should go ,but with the injuries as long as we make the play offs i would not be against renewing his contract ,but im sure he will be staying on and i really couldnt offer a better replacement

More likely to be sir gareth after all not everyone can get a team to a european final after playing every game at home then blow it :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:11 pm

Costastag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

More likely to be sir gareth after all not everyone can get a team to a european final after playing every game at home then blow it :lol:

We couldn't afford Gareth :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:14 pm

We're no further forward than we he came. We have a squad filled by and large with thirty year olds, who will need replacing, en masse at the end of the season. There are players that have been brought in by his management team that are patently unable to rise to the challenge of a promotion campaign, and bring even the slightest bit of consistency to there game. I won't give names but everybody knows who they are. Add to that his stubborness in not adapting his team formation., though its not worked(3-5-2), his negative setup at corners and free kicks,with 10 men back, and just the sheer lack of quality,attacking football,especially at Field Mill, then why should he be given more time. Oh, and I forgot, his speed in blaming injuries for his shortcomings, when his squad size debacle, and his falling out with his most prolific strikers over the last two seasons, has put us into the situation we're in now, where we can barely raise a squad.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 pm

No further forward ? Lol !

We were on our way out of the division the wrong way, are you a troll ?
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:22 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Reading the comments already im obviously the exception but I said on Saturday that the manager looked like someone who knows he's not getting a new contract and equally the players didn't look like they were playing for him. The team is his total responsibility, the squad, the recruitment direction, the injury levels, tge tactics, poor use of substitutes, the boring dull performances devoid of excitement. Field Mill has been like a morgue the last three home games and I doubt season ticket sales in the summer will be anywhere near as high. Yes we've survived another year compared to whoever will be relegated but do you really think we are in a better place ??

I give Clough credit he has signed some good players for the next manager Hewitt-Gilgore-Dunne-Clarke-Maris-Johnson-Reed-Hartigan-Gale Akins-Boateng-O"Toole-Oates not a bad start
for the new chap.
Losing the players.
One ends up in hospital another plays on with a broken nose and Clarke plays on with tight hamstring while Gale runs himself into the ground and the rest stood up to a very physical team
Get use to well organised negative teams coming to the one call to frustrate and battle for a point.
i doubted we would get 4500 this season or sell out Grimsby away
Recruitment-use of subs i agree, but to blame the manager for players getting injured moves to a new level, Boring dull games this is the business end of the season were results count not how you get them.
If Sutton had got 3 points im sure their fans would be upset they played very little what i would call football
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:32 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:We're no further forward than we he came. We have a squad filled by and large with thirty year olds, who will need replacing, en masse at the end of the season. There are players that have been brought in by his management team that are patently unable to rise to the challenge of a promotion campaign, and bring even the slightest bit of consistency to there game. I won't give names but everybody knows who they are. Add to that his stubborness in not adapting his team formation., though its not worked(3-5-2), his negative setup at corners and free kicks,with 10 men back, and just the sheer lack of quality,attacking football,especially at Field Mill, then why should he be given more time. Oh, and I forgot, his speed in blaming injuries for his shortcomings, when his squad size debacle, and his falling out with his most prolific strikers over the last two seasons, has put us into the situation we're in now, where we can barely raise a squad.

I stopped reading after that, what's the point if you're just going to lie?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:41 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:We're no further forward than we he came. We have a squad filled by and large with thirty year olds, who will need replacing, en masse at the end of the season. There are players that have been brought in by his management team that are patently unable to rise to the challenge of a promotion campaign, and bring even the slightest bit of consistency to there game. I won't give names but everybody knows who they are. Add to that his stubborness in not adapting his team formation., though its not worked(3-5-2), his negative setup at corners and free kicks,with 10 men back, and just the sheer lack of quality,attacking football,especially at Field Mill, then why should he be given more time. Oh, and I forgot, his speed in blaming injuries for his shortcomings, when his squad size debacle, and his falling out with his most prolific strikers over the last two seasons, has put us into the situation we're in now, where we can barely raise a squad.

i wasted my time replying silly boy no wonder broomo gave up
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:42 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Silly boy? Well here’s an interesting situation.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:50 pm

I guess in the end if he stays, fine. If he goes, also fine.

If we match last season (play-offs) then I'd rather he stays but again wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby JSBAPH » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:52 pm

Absolutely stick with clough. Based on my humble opinion he has improved the playing squad and looking at the increase in attendances has also generated more interest from fringe supporters.
As a supporter since early 1960's and having experienced the ups and downs of the club, we are in a good place.
If we weren't under the stewardship of the Radfords were would we be?
Just get behind the current manager and promotion will be achieved.
My glass is always 1/2 full .
JSBAPH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Someone mentioned Northampton earlier and they do have injury problems with I think 10 or 11 out at the moment. I would say ours has been more constant and wide spread and has caused much more disruption though. A lot of Northamptons key players (Hoskins, Guthrie, Burge, Pinnock) have remained relatively injury free and have all started 30 plus games.
37 games into the season and the most starts any of our outfielders have had is 27. Meaning every single player bar Pym hasn't started at least 10 matches.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Silly boy? Well here’s an interesting situation.

He's not wrong.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:07 pm

For me, stick.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:08 pm

:o
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I thought that. Pretty sure we were knocking around the relegation zone when he came, and we finished in the playoffs last season and 1 place out now.

Pretty sure that’s not the same place :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:06 pm

If he goes he goes not fussed either way ,but if he stays back him 100%
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 pm

Rob wrote:Who was the last left sided defender we had at the club? Macca isn't a defender. Sir Mal?

Lewis Page :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Lewis Page :D

Barry Foster
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:36 pm

We are much further forward.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:57 pm

I see the not moving forward part. We were close to the bottom of the table because Coughlan was doing a terrible job, not because of the squad we had at the time. From when Clough took over he collected the 9th most points between November and the end of the season. We then finished 7th last season, and now we’re in around the same positions as it stands.

He has proved he can manage a team to in and around play-off level, but so far not kicked on beyond that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:59 pm

JSBAPH wrote:Absolutely stick with clough. Based on my humble opinion he has improved the playing squad and looking at the increase in attendances has also generated more interest from fringe supporters.
As a supporter since early 1960's and having experienced the ups and downs of the club, we are in a good place.
If we weren't under the stewardship of the Radfords were would we be?
Just get behind the current manager and promotion will be achieved.
My glass is always 1/2 full .

Great post. Agree with every word. And you saved me the trouble of typing something similar.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:01 pm

scotsstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
scotsstag wrote:Didn't manage to recruit a LWB last Summer either, why not if it's easier than Jan...

Because in the summer there's more out of contract and available players.

It's not a position most clubs have excess of. Unlike say CB, where they could have 4-6 players vying for 2-3 shirts. Clubs could have 2 players vying for 1 shirt at LB. In the summer 1 or 2 of those LB could be out of contract and unhappy with being 2nd fiddle so may look for first team opportunities. That's where we would come in.

In January you either pay a club a good few or you look at players who have no club (ie Lewis Page) which didn't work for us.

Just because it's easier in summer that doesn't mean it can't still be difficult.

I never said or meant you were wrong, my point was we should have done it last summer.
If we missed the main target then contingency plans should have been in place...

Yeah.

Clough always said that he won't sign players for the sake of it "they have to be better" considering we have 0 left backs (from a certain point of view ;)) then something is an improvement on nothing. In my opinion.

But yeah, Clough also seems happy enough to chase his top target and wait on them making a decision. But also is on record saying he wants value for money. They don't always go hand in hand. By the time his first choice has made his decision (we will assume it's a no, but won't always be) and it isn't us Clough's "backups" could have also made a decision meaning we no longer have backups.

That example doesn't always happen and transfers are likely alot more complex than that but you get the gist.

For example we waited ages for that lad from Charlton(? The winger jayisemi or something like that) fell through at the 11th hour and we were left with nothing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum