{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Garner press conference, Tue 28 Mar / Harbottle concussion

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Garner press conference, Tue 28 Mar / Harbottle concussion

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:56 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Garner press conference, Tue 28 Mar / Harbottle concussi

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:08 am

Cursed.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:14 am

I hope this isn’t true but on another thread Sun it said NC has left?
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 am

It’s hardly comes as a surprise. I can’t see much alternative to 4 at the back now. Can we recall George Cooper from his loan?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:43 am

marksay wrote:I hope this isn’t true but on another thread Sun it said NC has left?

there was a wind up post on twitter making it look like he was sacked but it was the Dempster sacking dressed up as Cloughs. He's still here.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It’s hardly comes as a surprise. I can’t see much alternative to 4 at the back now. Can we recall George Cooper from his loan?

He’s going to play a back 5 again with Kilgour, Hewitt and Perch at CB and Akins and Bowery as the wing backs - how we played after Harbottle went off on Saturday.

I absolutely hate this however, because shifting Hewitt from wing back to centre back means your wing backs are Akins and Bowery - neither of them offer any quality or threat down the wings whatsoever (because they’re strikers not wing backs). Hewitt playing at RWB consistently provides dangerous crosses into the box. We just become even less dangerous and easier to defend against when he has to play at CB.

The success of a wing back formation is largely down to the quality of your wing backs - being able to constantly get up and down the pitch and provide a threat going forwards, chip in with goals from out wide, be able to beat his opposition full back, put good balls into the box etc. Bowery and Akins are adequate defensively but offer nothing going forwards from out wide, which to me, means the formation doesn’t work. He won’t trust Perch in a back 4 though.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:02 am

What would your defensive choice for Saturday be please Cleveland?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:16 am

DoomMerchant wrote:What would your defensive choice for Saturday be please Cleveland?

I’d probably be brave and play a back 4 so that you’ve not got Bowery and Akins again at wing back offering nothing going forwards. We simply have to win on Saturday anyway don’t we.

Presuming Reed can’t start:

Pym

Hewitt Kilgour Perch Bowery

Wallace

Clarke Boateng

DKD

Akins Oates

If you can’t get at least 60 minutes out of Oates then I guess I’d start Gale instead.

I can understand to a degree if people think we should stick with a back 5 and have Akins and Bowery at wing backs again as this would make us a bit more solid. I just can’t see us creating any chances yet again if we set up like that. You shouldn’t be playing a wing back formation if your wing backs aren’t good.

Hopefully playing an extra midfielder would help us gain a bit more control in there, maybe string a few passes together too!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:31 am

That's the exact team I'd play aswell for what it's worth.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 am

The problem is thought that Hewitt broke his nose on Saturday and could be doubtful to start. Even if he does start, it must be a big risk that he’s going to take one in the face and have to come off.

I see little alternative to Kilgour and Perch at centre back and maybe Anderson at right back. If Hewitt can start we should consider him as a centre back and move Perch to left back. Wallace and Clarke can combine as defensive midfielders and try and bring a bit of solidity to the defence.

If we can recall Cooper, he should be brought back to the club so that we have at least one defender on the bench.

It won’t be a popular view but we must not lose on Saturday even if that means sitting back and playing on the break. No team in this division should be underestimated and Crawley are more than capable of a result.

Dig in now and push on when we have players available. Top three has gone but we need at least a point to keep within striking distance of the playoffs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:35 am

isn’t Macca back ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:35 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:What would your defensive choice for Saturday be please Cleveland?

I’d probably be brave and play a back 4 so that you’ve not got Bowery and Akins again at wing back offering nothing going forwards. We simply have to win on Saturday anyway don’t we.

Pym

Wallace

Clarke Boateng

DKD

Akins Oates

If you can’t get at least 60 minutes out of Oates then I guess I’d start Gale instead.

I can understand to a degree if people think we should stick with a back 5 and have Akins and Bowery at wing backs again as this would make us a bit more solid. I just can’t see us creating any chances yet again if we set up like that. You shouldn’t be playing a wing back formation if your wing backs aren’t good.

Hopefully playing an extra midfielder would help us gain a bit more control in there, maybe string a few passes together too!

Quinn is back and will start. I'd also go 4 at the back and give Anderson his full debut, this game is so crucial that I'd start Reed and Oates. My team 4-1-3-1-1:

Pym
Anderson, Hewitt Kilgour Perch
Reed
DKD Clarke Quinn
Akins
Oates
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:42 am

Ahh yes forgot about Quinn...

Pym

Hewitt kilgour Perch Bowery

Clarke Wallace Quinn

DKD

Akins Oates
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:44 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Pym

Wallace

Clarke Boateng

DKD

Akins Oates

Yes I'd go with that too pal.

And then I'd listen to those around me grumble about Perch and Bowery and yell at Clough to get them off.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am

Ahhh yep I forgot Quinn’s back too :lol:

Pym

Clarke Boateng Quinn

DKD

Akins Oates

A midfield four of Clarke, Boateng, Quinn and DKD SHOULD provide enough quality for us to actually fashion some good chances finally. Hewitt at right back so that he can supply the strikers with some good crosses. It’s quite an attacking team but if we play a wing back formation with Akins and Bowery and Akins at wing back again, I can see the game meandering into another uneventful draw again when we have to win.

Hopefully Reed will be fit enough to give us 30 minutes off the bench if we need some more quality in there.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm

Garner and Gale interviews on iFollow
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:21 pm

It's Clarke I worry about, the lad clearly has an injury and playing won't help him recover.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Re: Garner press conference, Tu ue 28 Mar / Harbottle concus

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Garner:
Harbottle out for Crawley. He's ok in himself. Should be ok for the Swindon game.
Hewitt uncomfortable with his broken nose, but should be ok to play against Crawley.
Reed training Wednesday but won't be available to start against Crawley.
McLaughlin not training this week, so won't be available against Crawley.
Callum Johnson, we're probably looking at the Swindon game, hopefully.
Maris hopefully training Wednesday, so a possibility he could be in the squad against Crawley.
Quinn back from suspension.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Ahh yes forgot about Quinn...

Pym

Clarke Wallace Quinn

DKD

Akins Oates

This would be my team, Wallace may have his downsides but at least he doesn’t go missing for 90 mins like Boateng
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:34 pm

So by Swindon game: Hewitt available; Quinn back; Oates should be fully fit; Reed should be back; Maris should be back; C Johnson might be back.

Things are looking better - out of our main first teamers we are just missing McLaughlin (I’m leaving Hartigan, O’Toole and Swan out of this as they were never really consistent/established starters this year).

If that where we are then I don’t think we can use the excuse of injuries holding us back for the rest of the season (maybe a bit of match fitness I accept).
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Garner:
Harbottle out for Crawley. He's ok in himself. Should be ok for the Swindon game.
Hewitt uncomfortable with his broken nose, but should be ok to play against Crawley.
Maris hopefully training Wednesday, so a possibility he could be in the squad against Crawley.

I found this a little strange, Maris is training on Wednesday and might be available whereas Reed who is training Wednesday (and was on the bench at the weekend) wont be?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:41 pm

lifestags wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:Garner:

I found this a little strange, Maris is training on Wednesday and might be available whereas Reed who is training Wednesday (and was on the bench at the weekend) wont be?

Both could be in the squad, neither fit to start, is the situation from what he said, I think
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:44 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Ahh yes forgot about Quinn...

Pym

Clarke Wallace Quinn

DKD

Akins Oates

This would be my team, Wallace may have his downsides but at least he doesn’t go missing for 90 mins like Boateng

I’d definitely argue that Wallace goes missing just as much as Boateng does, if not more. He’s been poor on both sides of the ball. Boateng has also been poor lately which is disappointing, but I do appreciate that he at least does attempt more difficult, line-breaking passes that would get the team on the front foot more.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:49 pm

Boateng is hit and miss. I’d argue he got us the win when he came on at Wimbledon at (or shortly after) half time.
He’s less industrious than Wallace but he’s a much better passer of the ball. Given that what we’ve been missing is creation of opportunities (not shoring up the defence) I’d start Boateng over Wallace.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum