{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Have we doing our bit

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Have we doing our bit

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:30 pm

pemill wrote:
Sneag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
trenty wrote:Our facilities are ok from where we were 60 years ago but even Man Utd fans moan about there ground so no matter how modern we make it folk will still find fault
Things are not perfect either on or off the pitch but be happy with what we have as when, and not if, John Radford leaves you will realise how far we have come

All the logic:

A) it's better than what we had, so be happy with your lot.
B) even if it was better, you'd still not be happy because people with more aren't happy. And
C) even though it's not very good, it could still get worse.

All at once!

This isn't just you Trenty, it's regional. Ive lived in a lot of places and these self-depreciating attitudes are way more common in Notts than anywhere else I've lived (Liverpool, Sheffield, France, London).

Why should we be happy. Why can't we want more? I get called demanding but surely we can ask for more than what we've got. Is it really good enough for 2023‽

This is so true. 'We'll settle for nothing now & we'll settle for nothing later' mentality does my bloody head in.

A proper club shop & adequate ticket office should be the absolute bare minimum requirements for a stadium at this level.

To still be operating from a portacabin & two windows 20+ years after the stadium was built is shocking.

The ticket office thing always make me smile, apart from the occasional all ticket away game you don't have to visit the ticket office, the improvement is buying online, selecting the seat you want to sit in and downloading to your phone or printing the ticket off, if you can't do that they'll post out to you for about the same cost as getting to the ground to collect it. Going to the ticket office is so 'old hat'.

Funny thing that, because I wanted 1 guest ticket at the weekend and getting one in even the same block, never mind the same row was an absolute ball ache, because our ticketting system is so raspberry I couldn't buy a ticket well in advance & the online option is shows seats as sold that aren't sold.

MTFC is on of the most complacent businesses I've ever encountered.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:08 am

I wouldn't worry about the requirement for them to be upgraded next season....the crowds will drop off surely as the football on offer at home has made sure of that.

Us idiots who post on here will still be there, but this recent increase will soon disappear next season based on what they have paid for.

They have witnessed those last two goalless draws (soul destroying), and if that wasn't enough, we've been tanked 5-2 twice, and threw away 2 goal leads as well. I struggle to remember a really good performance at home over 90 minutes this season.

I don't think we'll have outgrown these gripes by next season, they will be back to being "just fine" when the crowds are back to what us whingers expect.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:47 am

stagmanrob wrote:I wouldn't worry about the requirement for them to be upgraded next season....the crowds will drop off surely as the football on offer at home has made sure of that.

Us idiots who post on here will still be there, but this recent increase will soon disappear next season based on what they have paid for.

They have witnessed those last two goalless draws (soul destroying), and if that wasn't enough, we've been tanked 5-2 twice, and threw away 2 goal leads as well. I struggle to remember a really good performance at home over 90 minutes this season.

I don't think we'll have outgrown these gripes by next season, they will be back to being "just fine" when the crowds are back to what us whingers expect.

Totally agree with your views about home games Rob. I'm unable to travel away so home games are my life blood but this season has dulled me into tacit acceptance of uninspiring football at Field Mill now being the norm
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:29 am

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:There are clubs in non league with much better facilities so room for improvement. but where will the money come from are the home fans going to fill the North Stand.
And what will the Bishop St Stand cost to cater for away supporters and separate the fans, always taking into account extra police presence,
All this massive investment in the infrastructure, to achieve league 1
David Sharpe said that achieving mid table in the league 1 would be success for the size of this club.
Mansfield Town is a good club with good owners and a small but very good fan base and are a top league 2 club.
Putting fans into the North Stand would increase the home end by est 2000.
This would make home tickets increase to about 9000 + away fans, nearly half of league 1 have attendances no better than league 2.
This would find credibility has to why investing in a new stand is not popular.
I feel Mansfield are on the right path Stability make progress within the team and move forward as a club with our finances secure.
were ever we are we go again next season.

Our facilities aren’t as bad as you make out. They’re better by far than they used to be.

Do you remember the North Stand toilets ? Hmmm.

I think you will find that at least 50% of our current regular attendance at Field Mill don't remember the North Stand toilets. Does that make them lesser people ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:06 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:There are clubs in non league with much better facilities so room for improvement. but where will the money come from are the home fans going to fill the North Stand.
And what will the Bishop St Stand cost to cater for away supporters and separate the fans, always taking into account extra police presence,
David Sharpe said that achieving mid table in the league 1 would be success for the size of this club.
Mansfield Town is a good club with good owners and a small but very good fan base and are a top league 2 club.
This would make home tickets increase to about 9000 + away fans, nearly half of league 1 have attendances no better than league 2.
I feel Mansfield are on the right path Stability make progress within the team and move forward as a club with our finances secure.

Our facilities aren’t as bad as you make out. They’re better by far than they used to be.

I think you will find that at least 50% of our current regular attendance at Field Mill don't remember the North Stand toilets. Does that make them lesser people ?

Fair enough. How about that day we beat Wrexham and won the title ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

My mate's 15 year old asked us the other week if there had ever been a stand on the Bishop St. Of course we laughed & took the mickey then realised that ir's been out of action since 2004!!! In his entire life as a Stags fan the Bish has been a giant advertising hoarding.

I do find old folk who think da yoots should accept raspberry facilities just because ours were worse a bit odd.

Field Mill in 2023 has the following issues:

Our ticket office - crap
Ticketting system - erratic
Club shop - dreadful
Online shop - not user friendly & lacking choice
Catering kiosks - too small, too expensive, too slow
Corporate boxes - non existant
Bars - huge improvements over the years but inadequate if a crowd is over 2,500.
A stand that has been derelict for 19 years.
Toilets that are flipping minging.
Bizarre configuration of turnstiles being built 20 yeards behind the NS & QLE that results in no covered area around the catering sheds (I can't think of another ground built like that.
2 stands that don't cove the whole width of the pitch.
A tunnel constructed of a corregated iron leanto & a plastic polytunnel, that looks about as tinpot as tinpot can be.

We know the stadium was built on the cheap, with no corner left uncut, & ultimately the best solution would be to bulldoze it all & start again. But surely there are cost effective measures that could be put in place to give the place an upgrade?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:21 am

I’ve been trying to buy a home shirt for a few months. Early December wanted to buy two or three for Christmas presents for my kids and a mate’s son.

Nothing online so I rang the club and they said they had all gone in a recent sale(!). So no 100 quid or so for the club and no Christmas presents of a shirt.

Just been back online today and there isn’t a single home shirt available to buy of any size, whether junior or adult. The doomed away kit has two adult two sizes.

I don’t know if it’s different in the shop itself.

This is not difficult stuff presumably and selling shirts online should be easy and (I assume) very high margin.

On the positive side the new away tickets system seems to work well and is a vast improvement that which previously existed. The ticket office staff are also helpful, in my experience.
Last edited by NEStag on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:26 am

NEStag wrote: So no 100 quid or so for the club and no Christmas presents of a shirt.

They've already sold them ;)
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NEStag » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:28 am

zod wrote:
NEStag wrote: So no 100 quid or so for the club and no Christmas presents of a shirt.

They've already sold them ;)

Yes. At a discount and a lower price than I was willing to pay!
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:29 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

He's probably been to more home matches and put more money into the club since Clough arrived than you have in the last 10 years, but, ya know. :roll:
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

He's probably been to more home matches and put more money into the club since Clough arrived than you have in the last 10 years, but, ya know. :roll:

Almost certainly but you know about circumstances and geography and that. But that didn’t answer my point. Did it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Almost certainly but you know about circumstances and geography and that. But that didn’t answer my point. Did it.

I don't know. What was your point ?
Are you still banging the 'not a proper supporter' drum ?
What makes a proper supporter, because you have admitted yourself that he is currently doing more than you, both personally and financially ?
I didn't go to Stags till I was 25. Am I a proper supporter ? How long did it take for me to become one ?
Why do you constantly have to have conflict with people ? Are you incapable of having a discussion or debate without making it personal ?
I would much rather sit next to someone like Bear or Broomo, who openly admit they are here because of the manager but attend on a regular basis, than some of the local 'fans' who turn up once every season or two when we have a local derby or a big cup game.
We are all Stags - why do we have to have a pecking order of fan status ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:01 pm

i do think the club is holding off with any major improvements until we are promoted.

I also believe they never expected to have the number of season ticket holders we have got this season and this has lead to a poor match day experience this year.

We could improve some things quickly and at a relative low cost.

The standard of food could change by bringing in a excellent catering company. Put it out to tender and bring 3 forward to show what they can do. Allow them to manage all the kiosks both inside and outside the ground. The week we had Bowring pies was a vast improvement.

Build a club shop and ticketing office in the car park. Increase the inventory so it becomes a pleasure to walk around it.

Stage 2 could include new and increased number of turnstiles, better corporate facilities & QR code food ordering facilities

Stage 3, fill in the corners of the ground, Bishop Street stand, relocate the 5 a side pitches to RH academy, bar facilities at RH, Supporters bar in place of pitches at ground

We have to keep moving forward with this part of the club to keep the new fans and bring in further ones too
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:47 pm

stag324 wrote:i do think the club is holding off with any major improvements until we are promoted.

I also believe they never expected to have the number of season ticket holders we have got this season and this has lead to a poor match day experience this year.

We could improve some things quickly and at a relative low cost.

The standard of food could change by bringing in a excellent catering company. Put it out to tender and bring 3 forward to show what they can do. Allow them to manage all the kiosks both inside and outside the ground. The week we had Bowring pies was a vast improvement.

Build a club shop and ticketing office in the car park. Increase the inventory so it becomes a pleasure to walk around it.

Stage 2 could include new and increased number of turnstiles, better corporate facilities & QR code food ordering facilities

Stage 3, fill in the corners of the ground, Bishop Street stand, relocate the 5 a side pitches to RH academy, bar facilities at RH, Supporters bar in place of pitches at ground
Nice thinking but if we go up we will need better players to sustain our status, but the higher we go the worst the One Call is.
The club seems to be at a cross roads.
I had hoped Sharpe would bring some investors in.
But you are right if we move the pitches what a fan zone could be built,
Our fans need the North Stand

We have to keep moving forward with this part of the club to keep the new fans and bring in further ones too
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:06 pm

Point one i dont go too a game to eat ,point two we never sell out in fact i dont get to games at all
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:19 pm

Costastag wrote:Point one i dont go too a game to eat ,point two we never sell out in fact i dont get to games at all

You been on the pop again?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:36 pm

Costastag wrote:Point one i dont go too a game to eat ,point two we never sell out in fact i dont get to games at all

PEAR CIDER is that you
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:46 pm

There’s a thread on the Followers Facebook page on about the Bish as someone posted a photo of it. We’ve been over this before but there were a few plans for the redevelopment of Field Mill and we ended up with the worst of it. Even the original plans were butchered to save a few quid. The tunnel was supposed to be temporary. The west stand should’ve had the tunnel in like the old stand. It also should’ve had changing rooms, classrooms, offices, executive boxes, full size training/warm up pitch, club shop and bar. But all of that wasn’t covered by grants so he scrapped the lot of it. He even shortened both ends to save a few quid which is why they don’t reach the corner flags on the west stand side.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:28 am

Dan wrote:He even shortened both ends to save a few quid which is why they don’t reach the corner flags on the west stand side.

Whether it's true or not, publicity at the time was that the corners of the ground were designed so that they could be filled in with seating, should we need more capacity. Hence the stands being slightly narrow.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:17 am

Bradders wrote:
Dan wrote:He even shortened both ends to save a few quid which is why they don’t reach the corner flags on the west stand side.

Whether it's true or not, publicity at the time was that the corners of the ground were designed so that they could be filled in with seating, should we need more capacity. Hence the stands being slightly narrow.

The new ground is good because it can be bigger than it is :lol:

JELLY AND ICE CREAM
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:35 am

No i was answering the posts above but forgot to use the quote button

:lol: :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum