{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:03 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:58 pm

Think I'd rather drink paint than read any of that
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:02 pm

Only 51% of Stags passes yesterday were accurate, which must be one of the lowest of the season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:38 pm

A fair report Martin football was the loser.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:00 pm

I cannot remember when I last watched a worse game of football than yesterday.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:38 pm

If you weren't already sure about the referee - the fact that he stopped the game for 3 minutes, 5 minutes into 5 minutes first half injury time so that a player with a hand injury who was actually sat on the touchline in front of the Sutton bench could get treatment, and then when the game restarted he blew the half time whistle straight away - confirmed it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:40 am

it really must be a dreadful game when the only entertainment and single cheer for the whole game was for one of Suttons staff running to the changing room .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:53 am

Marky Mark wrote:If you weren't already sure about the referee - the fact that he stopped the game for 3 minutes, 5 minutes into 5 minutes first half injury time so that a player with a hand injury who was actually sat on the touchline in front of the Sutton bench could get treatment, and then when the game restarted he blew the half time whistle straight away - confirmed it.

Do any of our referees know if this situation before half time was the farce that it seemed or did he have no choice that he couldn't finish the half whilst a player was receiving treatment??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:23 am

stag324 wrote:I cannot remember when I last watched a worse game of football than yesterday.

The last dozen games under Cox were terrible!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:01 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:If you weren't already sure about the referee - the fact that he stopped the game for 3 minutes, 5 minutes into 5 minutes first half injury time so that a player with a hand injury who was actually sat on the touchline in front of the Sutton bench could get treatment, and then when the game restarted he blew the half time whistle straight away - confirmed it.

Do any of our referees know if this situation before half time was the farce that it seemed or did he have no choice that he couldn't finish the half whilst a player was receiving treatment??

If there was time left on his watch, even 5 seconds, then he had to restart, though a bit of common sense could have applied. The player receiving treatment makes no difference.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:24 am

Shouldn't he have added on the time it took for him to receive treatment? Considering the 5 minutes we're mostly added for the treatment Harbottle needed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:45 am

gazza1988 wrote:Shouldn't he have added on the time it took for him to receive treatment? Considering the 5 minutes we're mostly added for the treatment Harbottle needed.

Yes, injuries in injury time are added to injury time ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:58 am

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Shouldn't he have added on the time it took for him to receive treatment? Considering the 5 minutes we're mostly added for the treatment Harbottle needed.

Yes, injuries in injury time are added to injury time ;)

You'd have thought that, all things considered, and that the Sutton player was clearly unable to continue, that the managers would have just shaken hands so to speak and everyone go back to the changing rooms. Indeed from where we were sitting it did appear that's what NC was trying to do but was stonewalled by the referee and the chocolate teapot that is the 4th official, only for half time to be blown 5 seconds later to the derision of everyone. That's why I asked the question earlier.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm

You can keep banging on about goals, Martin, but I still say the standard of home performances has been poor since Hartlepool last November, and woeful since the turn of the year. Its almost been a relief to watch the Stags,away, this season.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:You can keep banging on about goals, Martin, but I still say the standard of home performances has been poor since Hartlepool last November, and woeful since the turn of the year. Its almost been a relief to watch the Stags,away, this season.

You complained at the lack of entertainment bigal. If it's not by goals and shots, how are you measuring entertainment?
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:53 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:You can keep banging on about goals, Martin, but I still say the standard of home performances has been poor since Hartlepool last November, and woeful since the turn of the year. Its almost been a relief to watch the Stags,away, this season.

You complained at the lack of entertainment bigal. If it's not by goals and shots, how are you measuring entertainment?

It's not always measurable Martin. I think despite the goals, actual entertainment has been pretty rare at FM this season. Clough is a very cautious manager, which is great when it works but can be very tough to watch at times. Football under DF was vastly superior though I suspect the goals scored are similar.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:58 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

It's not always measurable Martin. I think despite the goals, actual entertainment has been pretty rare at FM this season. Clough is a very cautious manager, which is great when it works but can be very tough to watch at times. Football under DF was vastly superior though I suspect the goals scored are similar.

After 37 games of the 18/19 season we had scored one less goal, but also conceded 15 less. We had 7 more points.

If you slotted Flitcroft team into the current table after 37 games it would be 5th, 4th after 38 games.

Home form 18/19 after 18 games :

W12 D4 L2 F30 A10 Pts40

22/23

W7 D7 L4 F29 A25 Pts 28
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:01 pm

Im a nervous wreck every time the ball goes into our penalty area, and scream loudly every time we shoot over the bar how can we score if we put the ball into the stand.
Im jumping up and down and sometimes blame the ref,
All this and a pint with a cheeseburger, and finish on a high or a big low.
Where else would you get that
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:11 pm

bear 73 wrote:Im a nervous wreck every time the ball goes into our penalty area, and scream loudly every time we shoot over the bar how can we score if we put the ball into the stand.
Im jumping up and down and sometimes blame the ref,
All this and a pint with a cheeseburger, and finish on a high or a big low.
Where else would you get that

The only person I saw jump out of their seat on Saturday was Martin when the referees performance had finally broken his will - that was sometime in the first half :)
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

After 37 games of the 18/19 season we had scored one less goal, but also conceded 15 less. We had 7 more points.

If you slotted Flitcroft team into the current table after 37 games it would be 5th, 4th after 38 games.

Home form 18/19 after 18 games :

W12 D4 L2 F30 A10 Pts40

22/23

W7 D7 L4 F29 A25 Pts 28

My point was that goals/shots doesn't always equal entertainment and your stats bare that out. Only those not there would think entertainment this season at home is as high as it was in 2018 yet 16 fewer goals were scored back then.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:37 pm

My post wasn’t meant to prove or disprove yours Rob, just to provide some comparison.

I think you may have misread the stats though regarding goals scored.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:39 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
stag324 wrote:I cannot remember when I last watched a worse game of football than yesterday.

The last dozen games under Cox were terrible![ They were, but didn't we have an injury crisis at that time as well ? Worse still Cox, had one of the lowest budgets in the league that season I seem to recall.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

The last dozen games under Cox were terrible![ They were, but didn't we have an injury crisis at that time as well ? Worse still Cox, had one of the lowest budgets in the league that season I seem to recall.

We've never had the lowest budget in the league post Haslam. Cox did have his budget rightly cut as we were going nowhere, but it was still a decent budget, Darren posted the figures a while back.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:54 pm

Rob wrote:My point was that goals/shots doesn't always equal entertainment and your stats bare that out. Only those not there would think entertainment this season at home is as high as it was in 2018 yet 16 fewer goals were scored back then.

of course not always. I would say the 0-0 draw against Grimsby on Wednesday was a good game. However, in general, I would argue that goals and shots is a pretty good measure of entertainment.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:11 pm

draws are no good at this point in the season which ever way you look at it !!

we have to go for it sometimes be it substitutions or formations & negative Nigel just doesn’t do that !!

for me now it’s death or glory, roll the dice Nigel

leave two up when the opposition has a corner, the season is very slowly slipping from our grasp

go on roll the dice
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum