{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sutton score thread sponsored by the A38 Derby

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sutton score thread sponsored by the A38 Derby

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:44 am

I might add about Sutton United - what a weird football team. Ninth in the league, still a very creditable chance of making the playoffs, coming to a side blowing out of it's arse both in man-power and confidence.........AND THEY PLAY FOR A DRAW whilst hoping to nick a goal.

Wasting time when they could quite easily up a gear and go for a three points for a promotion push.

I hated them before yesterday but because of that crappy mindset they've concreted themselves firmly in to a select group of my least favourite 'football' teams. Horrible.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I might add about Sutton United - what a weird football team. Ninth in the league, still a very creditable chance of making the playoffs, coming to a side blowing out of it's arse both in man-power and confidence.........AND THEY PLAY FOR A DRAW whilst hoping to nick a goal.

Wasting time when they could quite easily up a gear and go for a three points for a promotion push.

I hated them before yesterday but because of that crappy mindset they've concreted themselves firmly in to a select group of my least favourite 'football' teams. Horrible.

And yet, Sutton did have the only 3 chances. We, with a better starting 11, had zero chances. We’re pathetic. Our starting 11 should still be good enough, minus Wallace…non-league player. A dour, uninspiring performance lead from the manager.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:54 am

If you're good enough you beat them it's that simple. Sadly we aren't
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:59 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Sneag wrote:Absolute turd of a performance.

Great to see a timewasting substitution when you need to grab a winner.

You might as well play Flinders upfront ahead of Johnson, he's stealing a wage.

Chased down every loose balll, and got jack raspberries service.

Don't let facts get in the way of a witch hunt though

You clearly have a hard on for a player that doesn't want to be here. Each to their own.

He barely broke sweat. I remember him giving one of their centre halves a nudge to win us a throw in and a ball into their box from Akins that he made nothing of. James Gale’s performance totally put Johnson to shame today, fantastic work rate and desire to try and push forward. DJ ambled from one centre half to another when they had possession with no intent to put them under pressure. The service was indeed cack but the difference between the effort of Gale and Johnson was quite frankly an embarrassment.

Johnson clearly getting no service at all. Gale used his debut to give a 100% performance full of enthusiasm but resembled a headless chicken chasing around. The net effect of either on the game and therefore difference was zero.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am

victor A block wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Sneag wrote:Absolute turd of a performance.

Great to see a timewasting substitution when you need to grab a winner.

You might as well play Flinders upfront ahead of Johnson, he's stealing a wage.

Chased down every loose balll, and got jack raspberries service.

Don't let facts get in the way of a witch hunt though

You clearly have a hard on for a player that doesn't want to be here. Each to their own.

He barely broke sweat. I remember him giving one of their centre halves a nudge to win us a throw in and a ball into their box from Akins that he made nothing of. James Gale’s performance totally put Johnson to shame today, fantastic work rate and desire to try and push forward. DJ ambled from one centre half to another when they had possession with no intent to put them under pressure. The service was indeed cack but the difference between the effort of Gale and Johnson was quite frankly an embarrassment.

Johnson clearly getting no service at all. Gale used his debut to give a 100% performance full of enthusiasm but resembled a headless chicken chasing around. The net effect of either on the game and therefore difference was zero.

The service to both forwards was terrible, the difference in work rate between Gale and Johnson was embarrassing. DJ jogged/trotted/ambled/sauntered around their defence when we were out of possession. Gale was constantly pressing them and nicked the ball more than once, he at least tried to make something happen.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagtastic1 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:16 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
The One wrote:Pym was poor today rooted to his line again for the cross that got
Harbottle injured and his kicking was woeful

said it all season, never commands his box, don’t rate him sorry

Irrespective of what Pym did at that point, unless I am mistaken, the reason Harbottle was injured was due to their thug centre half leading with his elbow. He got up fairly quickly, saw the state of Harbottle, and fell to the ground faking a head injury to avoid a card. He took it far enough to actually accept treatment and a 'Rambo style' headband which he disposed of within minutes.

I had the same view as this and thought he intentionally deflected any repercussion by going down, however I would say in mitigation that there didnt seem to be any howls of protest nor flare ups from the Stags players demanding the referee take action.

In my opinion I think the reason there was little reaction by our players was down to the fact that the challenge came in as the majority had stopped looking in the belief that the ball was going out of play so their full attention was not on the incident. There was also the concern for Harbottle lying motionless on the ground.

With regards to their player I totally agree that his actions were to deflect from his horrendous challenge. Surely if someone is able to stand up, then collapses to the ground they are suffering from concussion and should automatically have to go off, not have an assessment which deemed him fit to continue. His headband (bandage) was another farce as, has been mentioned, came off within minutes. As far as I could see there was no blood on either it nor the players head and his ability to run about and pass a ball wasn’t affected.

Sutton are a physical team that get away with a lot but if referees took action sooner it would nullify that tactic.

Yes we didn’t create yesterday but all our creative midfielders are out injured or suspended, the ones we had left are defensive and creativity doesn’t come easily to them.

We will have to hope these missing players are back sooner rather than later.
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:20 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:40 am

Sutton are a bunch of anti football thugs who will never change their dire tactics. I agree with the comment about them not capitalising on our woefully thin squad and going for 3 points.
I find it incredible that we are still within reach of the play offs after a very average season. We have never really got going this year even with a fully fit squad.
We need a total rethink if we are to make a concerted challenge next year and a bigger squad to counteract all these injuries. All we can do is to see where the next 9 games take us but it seems we are destined to another year in League Two.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:03 pm

stagtastic1 wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
The One wrote:Pym was poor today rooted to his line again for the cross that got
Harbottle injured and his kicking was woeful

said it all season, never commands his box, don’t rate him sorry

Irrespective of what Pym did at that point, unless I am mistaken, the reason Harbottle was injured was due to their thug centre half leading with his elbow. He got up fairly quickly, saw the state of Harbottle, and fell to the ground faking a head injury to avoid a card. He took it far enough to actually accept treatment and a 'Rambo style' headband which he disposed of within minutes.

I had the same view as this and thought he intentionally deflected any repercussion by going down, however I would say in mitigation that there didnt seem to be any howls of protest nor flare ups from the Stags players demanding the referee take action.

In my opinion I think the reason there was little reaction by our players was down to the fact that the challenge came in as the majority had stopped looking in the belief that the ball was going out of play so their full attention was not on the incident. There was also the concern for Harbottle lying motionless on the ground.

With regards to their player I totally agree that his actions were to deflect from his horrendous challenge. Surely if someone is able to stand up, then collapses to the ground they are suffering from concussion and should automatically have to go off, not have an assessment which deemed him fit to continue. His headband (bandage) was another farce as, has been mentioned, came off within minutes. As far as I could see there was no blood on either it nor the players head and his ability to run about and pass a ball wasn’t affected.

Sutton are a physical team that get away with a lot but if referees took action sooner it would nullify that tactic.

Yes we didn’t create yesterday but all our creative midfielders are out injured or suspended, the ones we had left are defensive and creativity doesn’t come easily to them.

We will have to hope these missing players are back sooner rather than later.

I don't agree at all, watch the incident back, the Sutton player was clearly concussed due to the clash of heads and should have been subbed. Twice he tried to get to his feet and couldn't, he was not acting. He had a gash across his forehead just in case further evidence was needed for an accidental clash of heads.

In fact, the most bizarre thing about yesterday is the hugely OTT criticism of the referee. He wasn't great but by god we've had worse this season.

I've said it all season, our best 11 is top 3, our squad isn't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 pm

The injury situation is clearly hampering our ability to be a creative force, and I have some sympathy for Clough that all our midfielders capable of passing the ball are injured at the same time.

The problem for Clough is that a number of times in the past he has said he is happy to use any member of the squad at any time and it not make the team significantly weaker, or at least that is the line when we are winning. When we’re not winning, that suddenly changes to we’re not able to win games without our best players.

I appreciate he was probably just attempting to keep morale high yesterday, but saying things like he thought ‘we played alright’ and ‘we tried to keep the ball down and play as much as we could’ just don’t reflect the game we all saw.

For the first time in a while yesterday I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat, there were more shouts from the crowd as to their dissatisfaction with the team and there were audible boos at the final whistle, most likely borne out of frustration.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The injury situation is clearly hampering our ability to be a creative force, and I have some sympathy for Clough that all our midfielders capable of passing the ball are injured at the same time.

The problem for Clough is that a number of times in the past he has said he is happy to use any member of the squad at any time and it not make the team significantly weaker, or at least that is the line when we are winning. When we’re not winning, that suddenly changes to we’re not able to win games without our best players.

I appreciate he was probably just attempting to keep morale high yesterday, but saying things like he thought ‘we played alright’ and ‘we tried to keep the ball down and play as much as we could’ just don’t reflect the game we all saw.

For the first time in a while yesterday I thought the atmosphere was pretty flat, there were more shouts from the crowd as to their dissatisfaction with the team and there were audible boos at the final whistle, most likely borne out of frustration.
I would like to think they were booing the opposition for their negative approach to the game. However, I realise for some, that sadly is not the case.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:55 pm

Possibly, but I don’t see how that would make sense as an immediate reaction to the final whistle, which is when I heard them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:04 pm

More likely booing the referee.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:06 pm

The top 6 all play each other next weekend.

Maybe if we might break into a sweat and stop producing miserable performances and win next week we’d be right back in the playoff picture.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:24 pm

adamstag wrote:The top 6 all play each other next weekend.

Maybe if we might break into a sweat and stop producing miserable performances and win next week we’d be right back in the playoff picture.

I’d bet the house on 0-0 or a 1-0 loss next Saturday if Maris and Reed aren’t available again.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:19 pm

I do agree that a draw was not the result that was wanted, but teams coming to the one call are not here to entertain but to frustrate.
Any player showing Quality or skill would be a target for their hatchet men.
Sutton played the player not the ball Obstruction, late tackles and making the game stop start.
They are a very physical team.
If the ref had been strict the yellow cards would have come sooner, and would have curtailed their antics, and we might have had more football being played.
A week ref is their opportunity to kick and bully the opponents.
I thought it was great credit to the players to stand up and be counted and mix it with them.
Allowing late tackles will always stop the talented players that is why red and yellow cards were introduced. so the ref could have more influence on the game.
Two clean sheets is always a platform to build from but harder when Harbottle and Hewitt are battered around the head
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:03 pm

bear 73 wrote:I do agree that a draw was not the result that was wanted, but teams coming to the one call are not here to entertain but to frustrate.
Any player showing Quality or skill would be a target for their hatchet men.
Sutton played the player not the ball Obstruction, late tackles and making the game stop start.
They are a very physical team.
If the ref had been strict the yellow cards would have come sooner, and would have curtailed their antics, and we might have had more football being played.
A week ref is their opportunity to kick and bully the opponents.
I thought it was great credit to the players to stand up and be counted and mix it with them.
Allowing late tackles will always stop the talented players that is why red and yellow cards were introduced. so the ref could have more influence on the game.
Two clean sheets is always a platform to build from but harder when Harbottle and Hewitt are battered around the head

I think this your first post that I have agreed with 100%.

We certainly can’t cope with both Hewitt and Harbottle missing next week and fingers crossed that at least one of them is available to play. If not I can see us employing a back four with Kilgour and Perch at centre half and Akins and Bowery at fullback. We would need both Wallace and Boeteng as defensive midfielders and see who else is fit to make up the rest of the team. It wouldn’t be pretty to watch but desperate measures and all that.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:56 pm

I’d be amazed if there was more than 20 minutes of actual play in each half yesterday, Sutton were extremely effective at what they do. Spending all day getting a foot to the ball breaking things up, wasting time, kicking the ball away, going to ground easily - we need to be smarter. I thought Oates for Johnson was a change that should have been made, and earlier than Oates came on - we needed some pace up there, we weren’t going to go through them so needed to get behind them, Gale was looking for the pass when he dropped deep but it’s not DJs game and he hasn’t necessarily got the pace to be beating players to a through ball 30-40 yards out.

I’m a Quinn fanboy but you can see we have zero creativity down the left when he’s not playing - for a team that attacks down the flanks and gets crosses in his absence is a massive hole. Idiot that he is. They also doubled up on Akins whenever he got into the final third to prevent crosses coming in from that side, they knew what they were doing.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:06 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I’d be amazed if there was more than 20 minutes of actual play in each half yesterday, Sutton were extremely effective at what they do. Spending all day getting a foot to the ball breaking things up, wasting time, kicking the ball away, going to ground easily - we need to be smarter.

I’m a Quinn fanboy but you can see we have zero creativity down the left when he’s not playing - for a team that attacks down the flanks and gets crosses in his absence is a massive hole. Idiot that he is. They also doubled up on Akins whenever he got into the final third to prevent crosses coming in from that side, they knew what they were doing.

We'd have either won the game or finished with ten men had Quinny played, but we really do miss him. At least he's back for Sat, which is a must win. Maybe Reed with a weeks training will start too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:00 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I’d be amazed if there was more than 20 minutes of actual play in each half yesterday, Sutton were extremely effective at what they do. Spending all day getting a foot to the ball breaking things up, wasting time, kicking the ball away, going to ground easily - we need to be smarter.

We'd have either won the game or finished with ten men had Quinny played, but we really do miss him. At least he's back for Sat, which is a must win. Maybe Reed with a weeks training will start too.

And like last season, his petulance has cost the club.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:41 pm

I go for the three word game
Not good enough !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Mid table security beckons

*obscurity.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I’d be amazed if there was more than 20 minutes of actual play in each half yesterday, Sutton were extremely effective at what they do. Spending all day getting a foot to the ball breaking things up, wasting time, kicking the ball away, going to ground easily - we need to be smarter. I thought Oates for Johnson was a change that should have been made, and earlier than Oates came on - we needed some pace up there, we weren’t going to go through them so needed to get behind them, Gale was looking for the pass when he dropped deep but it’s not DJs game and he hasn’t necessarily got the pace to be beating players to a through ball 30-40 yards out.

Around 40% of our goals this season have come from an assist or a goal by either Quinn, Maris or Hewitt (it's over half including Lapslie), so with two of them missing and Hewitt barely being able to get forward you can see where part of the problem was yesterday even before it being Sutton. 5 of our top 6 scorers, and 5 of our top 7 assists effectively didn't play. The sooner Maris is back too, the better.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:09 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
five to three wrote:Gale working hard. DJ nowhere. No instinct and no presence. Would be interesting to see Gale and Oates.

I can’t go for that, no can do.

I see what you did there (& even sang it!)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:42 pm

Rob wrote:

How did Ali play mate?
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum