{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It’s your Squad size

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

It’s your Squad size

Postby marksay » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 pm

I’m sorry but that was another 3 points lost . Groundhog Day .

NC said he was happy with the squad and size, last year same

Wembley never turned up

This is a repeat sorry
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: It’s your Squad size

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:06 pm

same old
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 pm

It's only the squad size because it's depleted by so many injuries to a massive proportion of the team year after year.

Does anyone know how our injury levels compare to other League 1 and 2 like sized clubs??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:41 pm

Well , Northampton had ten players injured last week and still put on a better show than we did. Time the manager started looking at himself and stopped blaming whatever comes to hand.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:42 pm

marksay wrote:I’m sorry but that was another 3 points lost . Groundhog Day .

Wembley never turned up

This is a repeat sorry

I bet you've been waiting all night to post that? Load of bull.. Cloughie has stated he's never seen anything like it in his career. That says it all. If we had half the injuries we've got, at the moment, our team would be strong. Teams across the Country moan about losing their best players.
We signed three very good players in the last window and two are out injured. Tell me what the magical number is?
No lower league team can foresee the amount of injuries we have. Do you honestly think that the teams what have bigger squads have quality in depth?
You need to give your head a wobble or maybe go and support Forest with their 50 plus squad.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Lol

He said the same last season
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:59 pm

marksay wrote:Lol

that he did, some times the manager has to take ownership of his stance !

he runs a squad at least two light

same old story
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 pm

But you haven't answered my question. How many more players would you of signed on fifa?

Only position we needed was another left sided player, Clough tried to bring one in.
We have 2 good keepers. 2 good Right /wing backs. 6 players that can play Cb.
6 good midfielders.. 6 who can play up front
This total doesn't include Wallace or Law..
If we had a fully fit squad, Good players wouldn't even make the bench
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

that he did, some times the manager has to take ownership of his stance !

he runs a squad at least two light

same old story

Two light? Yes we needed a back up for Macca but he tried to sign one in the last window no doubt you will see that as a failure instead of looking at the three quality players we brought in. So what other position?
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:30 am

It’s not just the squad size it’s attitude in games when we are struggling.

He hardly ever brings subs on early, doesn’t put faith in the younger elements of the squad and sets up negatively against stronger opposition.

Case in point last night, it was all about a clean sheet and not taking the game to Grimsby.

We move onto Saturday, one our bogey teams that we must win if we want to make the play offs.

I bet Wallace starts
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BigGuy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 am

Wembley never turned up

This is a repeat sorry

You might have more credibility if you’d see we dropped 2 points.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Field Mill » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:38 am

I think Cloughie has pretty much resigned himself to a play off spot. It looks to me like the plan is to stay in touch with the top 7 until we get some bodies back. He seems confident that a full strength Stags team beats anyone we're likely to encounter in the play offs so I hope he's right!
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AlanStag » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:04 am

I think to some extent it's not even the squad size, it's the balance of the squad. We have 4 central midfielders injured or suspended but still had Law and Wallace on the bench last night.

Whereas we have had to shoehorn Bowery into a LWB role because we haven't replaced Benning when he left 2 seasons ago. If any defender picks up an injury we would have to shoehorn Akins into a RWB which then weakens our attacking options.

I think NC is too concerned in trying to improve his best 11 but doesn't plan for when the players in the best 11 aren't available. Sometimes you just have to sign a few "average" back up options who can fill in when needed but allow you to keep the rest of the side in the positions they need to be in.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:24 am

The EFL rules state that the squad limit is 22 excluding goalies and u21 players. Last night we had 13 in the squad plus another 8 injured or suspended. So he could only have signed another 1 in January unless they were u21.. incidentally 5 of the squad who played in the last game in January were unavailable last night,4 injured and 1 suspended.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:52 am

It’s gonna be another overhaul in the summer, there’s already six players that most likely won’t be here next season that will need replacing, whatever division we are in.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:53 am

Size doesn't matter
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It’s gonna be another overhaul in the summer, there’s already six players that most likely won’t be here next season that will need replacing, whatever division we are in.

There won’t be a huge overhaul of the first 11 if we play 4 at the back..

CJ Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

I think he’ll try and keep Pym and Harbottle so you can probably add them both into it.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:05 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It’s gonna be another overhaul in the summer, there’s already six players that most likely won’t be here next season that will need replacing, whatever division we are in.

Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

I think he’ll try and keep Pym and Harbottle so you can probably add them both into it.

I didn’t even consider Pym actually so that’s 7 or 8.

It’s probably fanciful to think about four at the back when we’ve barely played it all season, even when the last two games changing to four at the back have effected the game.

Pym
Flinders
O’Toole
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Swan
Johnson

Are all players we could lose in the summer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:08 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

It’s probably fanciful to think about four at the back when we’ve barely played it all season, even when the last two games changing to four at the back have effected the game.

Pym
Flinders
O’Toole
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Swan
Johnson

I completely agree we’ll need an overhaul in the squad but my point is we have the first 11 basically in the building for next season.

I think it’s quite clear to everyone except for Clough that we need to play 4 at the back but like you said, it’s more hope than expectation.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

Pym
Flinders
O’Toole
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Swan
Johnson

O'Toole is under contract for next season.

Swan isn't our player. Neither is Pym.

Flinders
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Johnson

Pym
Harbottle
Swan

are out of contract. I'd keep Flinders if he's happy with how this season played out for him. Wallace is a good backup. I can't see Clough wanting to keep DJ and I don't think he wants to stay beyond this season. Perch and Quinn I'd have not renewed last summer.

Players under contract I'd be looking to move on O'Toole and Bowery.

Frees up 6 spots to sign players. 2xCF 3xCB and 1xLWB (or 1 RWB and 2xCB depending on availability of CB) plus 2xGK (depending on what happens regarding Pym and Flinders) then we have a balanced squad.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:35 am

Yes I missed Harbottle.

I know O’Toole is under contract but he’s an obvious one to try and move on given limited game time and to try and improve.

It doesn’t matter that the loan players aren’t contracted to us, we still lose them from the squad and they will have to be replaced.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:14 am

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

Pym
Flinders
O’Toole
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Swan
Johnson

Flinders
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Johnson

Pym
Harbottle
Swan

are out of contract. I'd keep Flinders if he's happy with how this season played out for him. Wallace is a good backup. I can't see Clough wanting to keep DJ and I don't think he wants to stay beyond this season. Perch and Quinn I'd have not renewed last summer.

Frees up 6 spots to sign players. 2xCF 3xCB and 1xLWB (or 1 RWB and 2xCB depending on availability of CB) plus 2xGK (depending on what happens regarding Pym and Flinders) then we have a balanced squad.

If we stick with the same squad size we'll end up with the same problems. We also need at least 2 more left sided players.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:36 am

According to the Stockport commentators Pym is reportedly the highest paid player in the league at plus 4K a wk
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:03 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Hewitt Kilgour
Reed
Maris Clarke
DKD
Oates Akins

Pym
Flinders
O’Toole
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Swan
Johnson

Flinders
Perch
Wallace
Quinn
Johnson

Pym
Harbottle
Swan

If we stick with the same squad size we'll end up with the same problems. We also need at least 2 more left sided players.

We've 21 registered players over 21 years old. This only counts outfield players so with 2 keepers we have enough players to field 2 XI and have a "spare". Our issue is if we named (ie everyone fit) 2 XI our defence is left wanting very quickly. It's why we've played with 2 or 3 forwards in attack a forward at LWB and still had space for 2 or 3 more on the bench.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 pm

Wembley never turned up

This is a repeat sorry

There's so many similarities to last season it isn't a coincidence.

Injuries, suspensions, poor run of form, lack of substitutions, plays favourite players regardless of their performances, struggle against Harrogate & Sutton, the main difference this season is we are struggling to consolidate a place in the play-offs and automatic promotion is out of sight, all the other teams around have better form.

If John & Carolyn were happy with Clough's performance they'd have extended his contract, hopefully they are already planning if not interviewing his replacement.

The Clough hype is wearing thin.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum