{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Moronic Fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Moronic Fans

Postby Bradders » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:33 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:You read all this and also that you shouldn't stream the game on iFollow because you ought to attend!

To be honest there were nearly 1300 Stags fans there, only a tiny minority behaved like morons. At no stage did any of our group feel uncomfortable, ashamed, but not at any risk. From what I saw the Policing and Stewarding were excellent.

Smoke bombs, hassle getting to the ground in time, ticketing grief, bother trying to watch the game, uncomfortable seats, drunks standing up in front of you, embarrassing behaviour...I've also seen it at other away games recently.
Did it affect my enjoyment of the match? Yes. Ruined it completely? Not quite, but only because I've been to hundreds of matches and know how bad it can get. I normally go to Grimsby but anticipated that this one wouldn't be for the likes of me, who prefer to just watch the actual match rather than the crowd.
Luckily I had a day out in Europe and was able to see the stream. Much more desirable.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:45 pm

Stand off/squaring up at the train station on the way in, standing up in the seats, smoke bombs (bits fired out all over our coats), broken seat just missed my head thrown from the back of the stand, needless baiting of stewards (who are just getting paid probably getting close to minimum wage for doing a thankless job and if they weren’t there the game wouldn’t go ahead) and then some idiot climbed up onto the beams in the roof….

It’s got to the stage where I look forward more to further away games (Leyton, Swindon, Carlisle, Newport) than the local games I used to enjoy most.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:50 pm

There was so much wrong with some of our 'fans' on Saturday. The smoke bombs hit two children who were sat in different parts of the stand, making the young girls shoes all yellow. Another young boy stood on one and it scared him. Seats were hitting our own fans. I was down the front in the 2nd half and all the groups down there refused to go back to their seats. A load just stood along the front behind the goal meaning those sat in the first 5 or 6 rows couldn't see anything which is just pig ignorance. Some blokes older than me didn't even watch the game they were just goading the Grimsby fans with throat slitting gestures (arrestible offence) amongst other things. When a steward tried to move people to their seats they just point blank refused. When the steward said if you don't move you'll get thrown out one bloke said "I'm not bothered I'm not here for the game". Couldn't believe my ears especially when there were proper loyal supporters who couldn't get a ticket for the game. I overheard one steward say to another "there are 180 police officers working this game where the f**k are they all?" and "this is going to turn nasty if we're not careful". Another one summed it up for me when he said "This is f***ing ridiculous" when none of our 'fans' would move from the corner. It's probably a good job we didn't get a penalty or score in the 2nd half because I think there would've been a bad injury or a crush down there, it was mad. I can understand why people don't go to away games.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:45 pm

Perpetrators on Facebook, blaming everyone else instead of having a long hard look at themselves.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:05 pm

Whereabouts on Facebook mate?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:37 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:You read all this and also that you shouldn't stream the game on iFollow because you ought to attend!

To be honest there were nearly 1300 Stags fans there, only a tiny minority behaved like morons. At no stage did any of our group feel uncomfortable, ashamed, but not at any risk. From what I saw the Policing and Stewarding were excellent.

Smoke bombs, hassle getting to the ground in time, ticketing grief, bother trying to watch the game, uncomfortable seats, drunks standing up in front of you, embarrassing behaviour...I've also seen it at other away games recently.
Did it affect my enjoyment of the match? Yes. Ruined it completely? Not quite, but only because I've been to hundreds of matches and know how bad it can get. I normally go to Grimsby but anticipated that this one wouldn't be for the likes of me, who prefer to just watch the actual match rather than the crowd.
Luckily I had a day out in Europe and was able to see the stream. Much more desirable.

It really isn't more desirable, nothing beats being there, nothing. Sadly we have morons who can't handle their drink but they won't ruin it for me or stop me going. We were surrounded by drunks at Donny, we moved, we shouldn't have to, but these people aren't fans, they barely watch the game and if you stay home when you actually want to go, the morons have won.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:37 am

I didn't take my daughter to Grimsby this year because this behaviour (from both sets of fans) is entirely predictable. Been to Grimsby countless times (and taken both my girls on several occasions) and it's an outdated under-equipped dilapidated away end that when swarmed with fuelled up empty-heads is a recipe for chaos.

The Grimsby fixture has always been lively - probably due to both towns being similar with their much discussed decades of job/education/lack of investment issues. However, our fans are definitely more problematic now than they have been for years, especially with the numbers of them; and they're getting worse. Grimsby away is a morons wet dream. Let's face it, the Grimsby cops don't want Mansfield in their town anymore and who can blame them. I might add that the Notts cops probably feel the exact same about the Codheads.

So I choose not to put a teenage girl in that environment anymore. Notts, Spireites, Donny etc are more tolerable due to the facilities and ability to steer yourself away from the blank-eyed steaming middle-aged weapons and their adoring teenage following.

Nailed on that both fixtures will be 1pm kick offs next season.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:38 am

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

It really isn't more desirable, nothing beats being there, nothing. Sadly we have morons who can't handle their drink but they won't ruin it for me or stop me going. We were surrounded by drunks at Donny, we moved, we shouldn't have to, but these people aren't fans, they barely watch the game and if you stay home when you actually want to go, the morons have won.

They have won indeed. I'd like to go to matches like this, yes it's more desirable to actually attend than view from home, and I don't expect luxury for £25 admission. But there's a minimum standard for a sporting event and this one, predictably, fell way short.

It's not entirely due to the "morons"; without their efforts the experience is still only for a small proportion of potential fans. There are legions out there who would watch the match but aren't going to put up with the hassle that comes with a packed away end at this level. Clubs would do well to tap into the vast market of sports fans who aren't into discomfort and unpleasant environments. Just a regular away match is highly unpleasant for most and requires being a hard core football supporter to actually enjoy.

I don't see why I need to be determined, courageous and tough, and put up with poor access, discomfort, high cost and bad arrangements just to attend a sporting event (that you might not even get to see). I might go again to an away match if it's a really important one, or if it's far enough to only attract people who want to see the game, but this type of match is very much iFollow only.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 am

Grimsby is an absolute hole. Decided not to go again a few seasons back, along with Newport.

Hostile and you know that trouble is just around the corner
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:40 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Grimsby is an absolute hole. Decided not to go again a few seasons back, along with Newport.

Isn't that exactly why those who people are talking about bought a ticket and went, not to support the Stags
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:08 am

Sounds classy :?
Glad I decided not to go
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:53 am

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

They have won indeed. I'd like to go to matches like this, yes it's more desirable to actually attend than view from home, and I don't expect luxury for £25 admission. But there's a minimum standard for a sporting event and this one, predictably, fell way short.

It's not entirely due to the "morons"; without their efforts the experience is still only for a small proportion of potential fans. There are legions out there who would watch the match but aren't going to put up with the hassle that comes with a packed away end at this level. Clubs would do well to tap into the vast market of sports fans who aren't into discomfort and unpleasant environments. Just a regular away match is highly unpleasant for most and requires being a hard core football supporter to actually enjoy.

I don't see why I need to be determined, courageous and tough, and put up with poor access, discomfort, high cost and bad arrangements just to attend a sporting event (that you might not even get to see). I might go again to an away match if it's a really important one, or if it's far enough to only attract people who want to see the game, but this type of match is very much iFollow only.

In general I agree with you Bradders but where we differ is I'm not going to let the minority of idiots determine whether I go to games. I've been going away for well over 40 years and bar the odd verbal exchange with selfish idiots, have never had any real bother, you can avoid it. We had no bother at all on Saturday, yes we saw some altercations from a distance, but nothing, bar a whiff of smoke, that took away from the game. Darren, who sat next to us, will I'm sure confirm the same.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:31 am

I can confirm this.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:38 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Grimsby is an absolute hole. Decided not to go again a few seasons back, along with Newport.

There was no trouble from the Grimsby fans. I went for fish and chips in Cleethorpes, walked along the front, which was nice, spoke to some Mariners fans and got tips on where to park, etc. Friendly enough bunch. Walking to and from the ground was no bother at all. It was our own fans mostly behaving like they were drinking for the first time. As already mentioned though, you can avoid it for the most part by simply not sitting near the nobheads.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:00 am

ParisStag wrote:

There was no trouble from the Grimsby fans. I went for fish and chips in Cleethorpes, walked along the front, which was nice, spoke to some Mariners fans and got tips on where to park, etc. Friendly enough bunch. Walking to and from the ground was no bother at all. It was our own fans mostly behaving like they were drinking for the first time. As already mentioned though, you can avoid it for the most part by simply not sitting near the nobheads.

I think genuine fans are no trouble.
It's the morons who arrange to meet up for a scrap on snapchat who are the problem.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby young vanish » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:02 am

It has to be the club's responsibility for how your 'fans' behave both home and away. I never go to away matches anymore after being closely missed by a thrown glass bottle, not something I want to deal with in my advancing years.
It is impossible to know just how many are put off from what could be a good day out by fan behaviour. But with CCTV, phone cameras, vigilant stewarding (and vigilant fans who would like to contribute images), etc,. ne'er do wells can and should be identified and banned from games. It happens and appears to work in other situations outside of football. Or just maybe, especially in the case with night clubs, the threat of being closed down if nothing changes is a powerful incentive?
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 am

young vanish wrote:It has to be the club's responsibility for how your 'fans' behave both home and away. I never go to away matches anymore after being closely missed by a thrown glass bottle, not something I want to deal with in my advancing years.
It is impossible to know just how many are put off from what could be a good day out by fan behaviour. But with CCTV, phone cameras, vigilant stewarding (and vigilant fans who would like to contribute images), etc,. ne'er do wells can and should be identified and banned from games. It happens and appears to work in other situations outside of football. Or just maybe, especially in the case with night clubs, the threat of being closed down if nothing changes is a powerful incentive?

I suspect that we could have ten times the number of fans, but only by including people who are interested in watching live football in fairly civilised surroundings.

That's a long term problem for lower league football, and could be solved if there's the will (which there isn't). The first step would be to recognise that there is a problem, but there's a lot of denial.

I'm not advocating getting rid of noisy and enthusiastic supporters at matches, or drinking, but to start by acknowledging that they are only part of the fan base, don't easily mix with many others, and that football grounds at this level are only set up for that type - at least in the away ends.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:41 am

I mentioned this a few weeks ago but maybe clubs could have a "family" block in the away end, not just for families but for spectators wanting to sit in a quieter area. In fact, the Stags could do this themselves by keeping a batch of tickets specifically for this area. For example, at Grimsby they could have kept the left hand side as a family block.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:29 pm

Rob wrote:I mentioned this a few weeks ago but maybe clubs could have a "family" block in the away end, not just for families but for spectators wanting to sit in a quieter area. In fact, the Stags could do this themselves by keeping a batch of tickets specifically for this area. For example, at Grimsby they could have kept the left hand side as a family block.

That’s a good idea. I think the ‘big away day’ has become an issue that needs addressing. Smoke bombs and seat throwing will end in bad news one day and no one wants that.

However I don’t see an appetite from either the club via its ticket sales, or the police using the law, to deal with it. I hope I’m wrong and something is done before we do have an injury to an innocent spectator.

As someone said earlier until it’s resolved the long distance away days are probably the answer. Or we have a poor team, a poor season, and then most of the troublesome fans disappear until we start to win again …
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:10 pm

Rob wrote:I mentioned this a few weeks ago but maybe clubs could have a "family" block in the away end, not just for families but for spectators wanting to sit in a quieter area. In fact, the Stags could do this themselves by keeping a batch of tickets specifically for this area. For example, at Grimsby they could have kept the left hand side as a family block.

It's a good idea, and I agree that they should avoid the "family" term. I believe that there's a significant number of fans who would start going to away matches, or restart, if they could be guaranteed a trouble-free, comfortable and convenient experience. If they felt that they were in an special enclosure focused on kids, it would put them off.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm

It won't make a difference when selfish people just walk in and stand where they want.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:20 pm

Dan wrote:It won't make a difference when selfish people just walk in and stand where they want.

until they enforce allocated seating, it simply wont change.

When buses are being held back, and fans who turn up early dot about, its near on impossible for the late arrivals to scan the whole stand for spare seats for the size of their party.

Even seats of twos and threes.

Turning up early isnt a viable solution to this issue
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:24 pm

It was enforced on Saturday but people just ignored it as usual.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm

Bradders wrote:

It's a good idea, and I agree that they should avoid the "family" term. I believe that there's a significant number of fans who would start going to away matches, or restart, if they could be guaranteed a trouble-free, comfortable and convenient experience. If they felt that they were in an special enclosure focused on kids, it would put them off.

It is a good idea as I chose not to bother with Grimsby away as it would have been just me and my lad, and the local games certainly attract the idiots.

Judging by some of the posts on this thread, it seems my decision was justified.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Dan wrote:It won't make a difference when selfish people just walk in and stand where they want.

It wouldn't work as a quick fix, but more long term there would be an allocated area made suitable for just watching the game, quite separate from the other area. It happens informally at some grounds already, but if you knew in advance that the ground had that facility you wouldn't be put off the match.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum