{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stockport score thread sponsored by Bouncebackability

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stockport score thread sponsored by Bouncebackability

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:34 am

Rob wrote:Yes its a real shame because I really like chatting to away fans but you now feel you just have to get away. Some clubs are worse than others and I'm afraid we have a very high dickheadpercentage and have a deserved reputation. Sadly this affects folk like you and I who have no interest in a fight but just want to follow their club. We're in the majority, it's the minority that spoil it.

We had that in the pub after the game, some stockport got wind there were mansfield fans about and wanted a fight, never got the need, want or understanding why someone would want to fight just because you follow someone different, very odd.

It’s correct that there will always be a small minority of football fans that give the many a bad name, it’s pretty sad.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:04 am

A good explanation by Dave Challinor of his thinking and tactics during the game.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:28 am

A very disappointing 1st half for the Stags. Hiram Boateng had another below average game and I would have subbed him at half time for Jason Law who at least wants to get on the ball and try and pass it. Alternatively bring Rhys Oates on and drop Davis Keillor Dunn a little deeper. We were not going to win playing high balls as the Stockport centre halfs were eating them up. We missed Stephen Quinn on the left. Ollie Clarke and Elliott Hewitt did better down the right.

The Stags played better in the 2nd half but struggled again to create chances despite winning 6 corners and a few free kicks. Great equaliser by Lucas Akins who I thought was below his best. Defence played well apart from Alfie Kilgour getting beat by Paddy Madden for the goal. Christy Pym fumbled a shot and messed up a throw out but he made some good saves. Ollie Clarke was the pick of the midfield. He's due a goal. We are missing George Maris big time in midfield who was my player of the season before getting injured. Hopefully Louis Reed will deliver the goods but he's only really played one game for us against Doncaster. He came off early at Bradford City.

Davis Keillor Dunn was the liveliest up front but the forwards did not receive great service. Rhys Oates added a bit of energy. Danny Johnson did not make an impact.

We need to adopt the Paul Cox bunker mentality and fight and kick and scratch our way to a few wins against the odds to keep the momentum going until the end of the season. Time for a few players to step forward and make their mark.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:59 am

adamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:Yes its a real shame because I really like chatting to away fans but you now feel you just have to get away. Some clubs are worse than others and I'm afraid we have a very high dickheadpercentage and have a deserved reputation. Sadly this affects folk like you and I who have no interest in a fight but just want to follow their club. We're in the majority, it's the minority that spoil it.

We had that in the pub after the game, some stockport got wind there were mansfield fans about and wanted a fight, never got the need, want or understanding why someone would want to fight just because you follow someone different, very odd.

It’s correct that there will always be a small minority of football fans that give the many a bad name, it’s pretty sad.

That’s a good point 99% of us want a good day out, maybe a pint and a bite to eat . Donny away was a good example where we sat and mixed with a them in the pub near the ground. Have a chat, compare our struggles and ups and downs all in a friendly way.. The morons that spoil it spoil it for all the real football people.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:18 pm

Rob wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
Rob wrote:
SelstonStag88 wrote:Really hope it’s the end of 5 at the back now. A fully fit back 4 of Johnson Hewitt Kikgour McLaughlin. With Johnson back in the next few weeks hope we move to a back 4. Back 5 doesn’t suit us for me and when all our midfielders are back eg Reed and Maris we can fit them all into a diamond in midfield

I have an issue with playing Hewitt at CB. No doubt he is very competent there but we again saw today how dangerous he is coming forward and his cross led to our goal. I'd play him in his best position, which is right back and Johnson will have to compete - at present Hewitt is by some distance our best player. So if we went back 4 I'd put Harbottle, who I also like, there with Kilgour. A back 3 is made or broken by the quality of your wing backs, with Macca and Hewitt at wing back it works well.

Our weakness today was midfield where Wallace and Boateng were very poor. Clarke was also largely ineffective and I remain unconvinced by Pym. Hewitt, despite clearly not being 100%, was outstanding and Akins had another fine game in that attacking role. I think we should try to sign Harbottle.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the behaviour of the two stewards and there OTT handling of the young lad or the shithouse ball boy who, like at Bradford, was removed. I was also worried about the ref early on but he actually had a good game.

Was this when we scored? If so, it looked like Danny Johnson wasn't pleased with the stewards as well.

Yes, I think the gate opened onto the pitch and he was pushed through it, he was then grabbed by two stewards who dragged him out. Maybe that's what DJ was saying. I'd guess he was no more than 14/15. More than happy to provide a witness statement if the lad needs it but I think the video will show how out of order they were.

Just looking back at that on the full goal video, if the young lad was indeed forced through the gate then it was unfortunate enough to be with enough force to send him running 30 yards before sliding on his knees next to the celebrating players :) Put him back in the crowd though, he's only a kid.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 pm

The funny bit about the goal is all the Stags fans running back into the ground to celebrate :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
Rob wrote:
SelstonStag88 wrote:Really hope it’s the end of 5 at the back now. A fully fit back 4 of Johnson Hewitt Kikgour McLaughlin. With Johnson back in the next few weeks hope we move to a back 4. Back 5 doesn’t suit us for me and when all our midfielders are back eg Reed and Maris we can fit them all into a diamond in midfield

I have an issue with playing Hewitt at CB. No doubt he is very competent there but we again saw today how dangerous he is coming forward and his cross led to our goal. I'd play him in his best position, which is right back and Johnson will have to compete - at present Hewitt is by some distance our best player. So if we went back 4 I'd put Harbottle, who I also like, there with Kilgour. A back 3 is made or broken by the quality of your wing backs, with Macca and Hewitt at wing back it works well.

Our weakness today was midfield where Wallace and Boateng were very poor. Clarke was also largely ineffective and I remain unconvinced by Pym. Hewitt, despite clearly not being 100%, was outstanding and Akins had another fine game in that attacking role. I think we should try to sign Harbottle.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the behaviour of the two stewards and there OTT handling of the young lad or the shithouse ball boy who, like at Bradford, was removed. I was also worried about the ref early on but he actually had a good game.

Was this when we scored? If so, it looked like Danny Johnson wasn't pleased with the stewards as well.

Yes, I think the gate opened onto the pitch and he was pushed through it, he was then grabbed by two stewards who dragged him out. Maybe that's what DJ was saying. I'd guess he was no more than 14/15. More than happy to provide a witness statement if the lad needs it but I think the video will show how out of order they were.

Just looking back at that on the full goal video, if the young lad was indeed forced through the gate then it was unfortunate enough to be with enough force to send him running 30 yards before sliding on his knees next to the celebrating players :) Put him back in the crowd though, he's only a kid.

:lol: I thought he'd got on from below where we were sat. In fact it was a cracking celebration from the lad! I still think the stewards handling of him was way OTT.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:34 pm

How many games ban did Quinn get ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:49 pm

Quinn will be back for the Crawley game at home.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:52 pm

Wow a great point against a team wining 1-0 with a capacity crowd roaring them on.
Clough used his squad and threw caution to the wind.
Its pressure time for some all the clubs fighting relegation, for Mansfield we are on the roller coaster the one we hoped for fighting for promotion.
Well done all the players for a well earned point,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:41 pm

Felt sorry for Ollie Clarke to be fair. Trying to run/cover/break up in midfield all on his own most of the game. Desperately needs a combination of either Reed, Maris or Quinn with him.
Whenever Bowery ventured there he lost the ball and don't get me started on Boateng and Wallace who gave him zero support. Wallace is just too slow and Boatang is an absolute shadow of the player we saw pre-season.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:59 pm

fair reflection of the game here I think: https://hedgegrower.blogspot.com/2023/0 ... own-1.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:07 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:fair reflection of the game here I think: https://hedgegrower.blogspot.com/2023/0 ... own-1.html

We played better in the second half (hard not to) but we created little of note, certainly not any more than Stockport did in the second half, and they were easily the better team in the first.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:fair reflection of the game here I think: https://hedgegrower.blogspot.com/2023/0 ... own-1.html

We played better in the second half (hard not to) but we created little of note, certainly not any more than Stockport did in the second half, and they were easily the better team in the first.

I read through the Stockport messageboard and the consensus is a draw was a fair result.

Which was very much my opinion too, based on the number of good chances and near-misses for each side.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:20 pm

Jordan Bowery's 80th league start for the Stags (96 in total). 80(32) league start and 21 goals.

Lucas Akins' 40th league start. 40(7) league starts and 8 goals.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:36 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
    MTFCMusings wrote:

I read through the Stockport messageboard and the consensus is a draw was a fair result.

Which was very much my opinion too, based on the number of good chances and near-misses for each side.

I would say Stockport good chances/near-misses :

Collar one on one
    Madden goal
    Hussey free kick
    Sarcevic shot
    Olaofe shot
    Wootton/Wright headers

Ours :

Clarke shot
    Hewitt deflected cross
    Akins goal
    MTFCMusings
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:37 pm

Kilgour header?
    Rob
    Manager
    Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:42 pm

Rob wrote:Kilgour header?

At a push, but it was behind him and ended up miles wide. I’ve left out some similar quality Stockport chances (Wright header, Madden shot) so didn’t put that one on.
    MTFCMusings
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

At a push, but it was behind him and ended up miles wide. I’ve left out some similar quality Stockport chances (Wright header, Madden shot) so didn’t put that one on.

I agree that overall Stockport were the better side, but also think our much improved 2nd half display meant we did deserve a point.

Do you keep stats of how many times we score a late equaliser after a ball boy has been sent off?
    Rob
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:53 pm

I’m not bothered but I don’t feel like we deserved a point, we had a period ‘on top’ in the second half but we did absolutely nothing, hence our only shot in target was the goal.
    Conker
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:54 pm

Kilgour flying header 61 minutes
    Boateng shot blocked 68 minutes (7 Mansfield players claimed a penalty for handball, I couldn't tell)
    Martin Shaw
    Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:54 pm

Rob wrote:
    MTFCMusings wrote:

I agree that overall Stockport were the better side, but also think our much improved 2nd half display meant we did deserve a point.

Do you keep stats of how many times we score a late equaliser after a ball boy has been sent off?

xBBSO hasn’t been invented yet :lol:
    MTFCMusings
    Manager
    Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:56 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Kilgour flying header 61 minutes
    Boateng shot blocked 68 minutes (7 Mansfield players claimed a penalty for handball, I couldn't tell)

Boateng shot was going miles wide, I was right behind it. I think the claim was for Wallace going down rather than a handball (it was a dive).

As covered above didn’t include Kilgour headed as I didn’t see it as a big chance/near miss, and for the same reason didn’t include a couple of Stockport shots.
    MTFCMusings
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm

Conker wrote:I’m not bothered but I don’t feel like we deserved a point, we had a period ‘on top’ in the second half but we did absolutely nothing, hence our only shot in target was the goal.

I thought we deserved the point. Although the keeper didn’t have to stop any shots we had several attempts which were well blocked. Clarke’s was probably the best example which I think would have beaten the keeper if not deflected onto the bar.
    Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
    Sandy Pate Best Stag
    Manager
    Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 pm

I felt we were lucky to get a point.

Couldn't see us getting a goal from anywhere.

We were toothless until the subs came on, but still only mustered one on target.

Their keeper had absolutely nothing to do.
    stagmanrob
    Manager
    Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum