{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lorient score Fred sponsored by POSTPONED

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lorient score Fred sponsored by POSTPONED

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:59 pm

Lots of suggestions here that the ref who did the pitch inspection was complicit in us calling off a match that could have been played. Hope you have all got good lawyers in case he reads this thread.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The other consideration is that Orient May already be promoted by the time the rearranged fixture is played.
I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. They may be more relaxed and play better, in the knowledge they are champions/promoted.

I suppose when the fixture is played, the result will reflect whether the postponement favoured us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:01 pm

Are we the only game off in the top 5 leagues?
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:02 pm

Stag95 wrote:Are we the only game off in the top 5 leagues?

Us and Halifax.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:07 pm

FC Halifax v Aldershot was PP as Aldershot play FC Halifax in the FA Trophy.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby rob_bie33 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Strikes me as tryhardism, look at us being the first club to call a pitch inspection ‘for the fans’, combined with a total lack of common sense in not just waiting a day and making an informed decision that still would’ve stopped fans travelling in good time.

Are we going to try for a Thursday pitch inspection next time?

We better be well up for Northampton and the rearranged game now!
rob_bie33
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:18 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:Lots of suggestions here that the ref who did the pitch inspection was complicit in us calling off a match that could have been played. Hope you have all got good lawyers in case he reads this thread.

Give over Dave :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:44 pm

Perhaps Orient wanted an early pitch inspection to see if was worth traveling on Friday. With our injury crisis I am sure NC would not be bothered if it was called off. If we had had a full squad the message would have gone out to take your shovels and barrows to clear the pitch
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:Lots of suggestions here that the ref who did the pitch inspection was complicit in us calling off a match that could have been played. Hope you have all got good lawyers in case he reads this thread.

So you don't think questioning somebody's professional integrity is libellous ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:56 pm

Stag95 wrote:Are we the only game off in the top 5 leagues?

Does it really matter ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It happens every week on the score thread and I’ve not heard of anyone being sued.

We’re the only game in the country called off because we called a pitch inspection 29 hours before kick off when it was covered in snow. Nothing to do with the integrity of the official.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:15 pm

If we wanted to plaiy it the snow would nedd to have been cleared. The army of folk on t'pitch would've turned the pitch into a morass.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It happens every week on the score thread and I’ve not heard of anyone being sued.

We’re the only game in the country called off because we called a pitch inspection 29 hours before kick off when it was covered in snow. Nothing to do with the integrity of the official.

And if he thought the pitch might be playable today he would have done what many officials have done previously and called for a further inspection today.
The suggestions that we wanted it called off for 'injury reasons' and somehow influenced the decision is far more libellous towards the ref than questioning decisions in a match thread.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Snowing again.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:20 pm

Have to say I'm very disappointed with today. We just didn't turn up, Dropped out the play offs to 8th. Only thing of note was the fan coming out from the food kiosks and slipping over.

The performance at LWB was the same as usual. ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:35 pm

Bradders wrote:
Dan wrote:
Bradders wrote:
stag324 wrote:I’m 1/2 mile away and we still have snow.

I’ve taken the dog out this morning and the paths are like ice rinks.

Safety of fans first and pitch condition second

Some people are lacking a brain cell or three

Remember that the pitch inspection was an inspection of the pitch. If the club felt that the car park and surrounding areas hadn't thawed out enough in yesterday's warm sunshine, then I'd fully understand an evening announcement that the area was likely to be too unsafe to contemplate running the fixture. And like other clubs in the area, would have asked for volunteers to help yesterday in an effort to get it safe.

But they didn't, they said that the pitch failed the inspection yesterday at 10, which can only mean that it was either frozen or too deeply buried to be dug out. It wasn't a crowd safety issue. The ref inspecting the pitch was only there to check whether it was currently safe to play on, and would be likely to be OK at match time. He could have declared the pitch playable, but that wouldn't force the club to stage the match if they didn't think that they could guarantee crowd safety.

It looks like we didn't want to go ahead with this one.

It wasn’t solely down to a pitch inspection. The pitch could’ve been fine but the surrounding areas were unsafe hence the decision being made. The official line was that and because Orient were setting off yesterday lunchtime. The unofficial line is because we’ve got loads of injuries and this postponement suits us perfectly.

I don't really buy that the decision was about the surrounding area. The club stated that it was "following a pitch inspection".

It was too far in advance to say what the status would be the next day, and Sheffield (for example) was much worse for snow yet the Blades fixture was never in doubt because of their pitch heating. Hallam University was closed, it was that bad at 10am. Never a word about the streets near the ground being a problem.

And if Orient wanted to set off a day early, that's their problem. They could have had a lovely night in Mansfield anyway.

I'm not really that bothered about the match being off, even though I'd been particularly looking forward to us playing Orient when they're looking a bit jaded. It's just that I was baffled by the peculiar way they went about the postponement, leaving us standing out as the only ground in all 7 top divisions of the English league unable to stage a match today.

I think that your unofficial line is the truth, although I'm not sure why Orient went along with it.[/quote

According to the EFL rules, the home team has to pay for the the away team's hotel expenses if the game is cancelled!!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:57 pm

smulls wrote:According to the EFL rules, the home team has to pay for the the away team's hotel expenses if the game is cancelled!!

That's a bid odd, considering that Orient could easily have travelled on Saturday morning. What if they decided to travel on Thursday, just so they could have a nice time looking around Shirebrook, stay in a 5-star hotel in Sutton and then have a team-bonding booze up in the Rushley on Friday? Would that all go on the bill?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It was everything to do with the integrity of the official. He had to make a professional decision as to whether the pitch would be playable on Saturday at 3pm. He clearly thought it wouldn't be. If he had any doubt he would have arranged another inspection the next day.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 pm

You’ve missed the point Andy.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:06 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

And if he thought the pitch might be playable today he would have done what many officials have done previously and called for a further inspection today.
The suggestions that we wanted it called off for 'injury reasons' and somehow influenced the decision is far more libellous towards the ref than questioning decisions in a match thread.

The referee has the final decision but he will speak to both managers for their opinion, which could obviously influence them either way.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:14 am

When was the last time we held a pitch inspection on the day before a match. I can't remember an occasion but there might be one. Why did other clubs do their inspections on the day of the match. Why are we any different and is this a watershed moment? Right or wrong but we could be accused of manipulation or sh$thousery.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:30 am

Call it off too early - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Call it off too late - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not call it off at all - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not call it off and lose - "they should have called it off" + bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not called it off and someone slipped over and hurts themselves - "I'm going to sue the club it should never have gone ahead" + bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet.

The beauty of all you keyboard warriors who know best, despite sitting in your sofas watching PL
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:08 am

pemill wrote:Call it off too early - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Call it off too late - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not call it off at all - bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not call it off and lose - "they should have called it off" + bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet
Not called it off and someone slipped over and hurts themselves - "I'm going to sue the club it should never have gone ahead" + bleat, bleat, bleat on Stagsnet.

The beauty of all you keyboard warriors who know best, despite sitting in your sofas watching PL

Well said young man, sorry if I offend by calling you a man/male.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:20 am

Ya cant beat a good winge on Stagsmoanet....
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:07 am

ST4GS wrote:When was the last time we held a pitch inspection on the day before a match. I can't remember an occasion but there might be one. Why did other clubs do their inspections on the day of the match. Why are we any different and is this a watershed moment? Right or wrong but we could be accused of manipulation or sh$thousery.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The ref made a decision that the pitch wouldn't be playable by 3pm on the Saturday.

Right, wrong or indifferent, does it really matter ?

Have there been any complaints from Leyton Orient or any other clubs for that matter ? Or is it just those on here who are put out because their Saturday was disrupted ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum